Richard E. Wendt, Ph.D.
Department of Imaging Physics, Division of Diagnostic Imaging
About Dr. Wendt
Richard E. Wendt, III, Ph.D., studied physics and business administration at the University of Chicago where he earned the AB degree in 1976 and the MBA degree in 1977. He studied Electrical Engineering at Rice University where he earned the MS degree in 1980 and the PhD degree in 1982. His dissertation work was on the computerized image processing of nuclear medicine data. He worked in NMR imaging as a post-doctoral fellow in the Department of Radiology of Baylor College of Medicine and then joined its faculty in 1984. In 1996, he joined the faculty of the Department of Nuclear Medicine of The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center and then moved to the Department of Imaging Physics when it was formed. He serves as the Director of the Graduate Program in Medical Physics of The University of Texas Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences at Houston and co-ordinates the program's core course in nuclear medicine and magnetic resonance imaging physics. He is the chairman of the Radiation Safety Committee at MD Anderson and serves on several other institutional committees. He is a member of the Graduate Education Program Review Committee of the Commission on the Accreditation of Medical Physics Education Programs and is the Treasurer of the Society of Directors of Academic Medical Physics Programs. He is the PI of a study supported by a local foundation to study the radiation safety of beta-emitting radionuclides in veterinary patients and is investigating the dosimetry of a new compound for radiosynoviorthesis in collaboration with a local biotech company.
Present Title & Affiliation
Professor, Department of Imaging Physics, Division of Diagnostic Imaging, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
Radiopharmaceutical internal dosimetry and beta-emitting brachytherapy
Analysis of dynamic and multispectral datasets
Radiation shielding of nuclear medicine facilities
Release of radioactive patients from radiation safety restrictions
Education & Training
|1982||Rice University, Houston, TX, USA, PHD, Electrical Engineering|
|1980||Rice University, Houston, TX, USA, MS, Electrical Engineering|
|1977||University of Chicago, Chicago, IL, USA, MBA, Business Administration|
|1976||University of Chicago, Chicago, IL, USA, AB, Business Administration (also completed degree requirements in Physics and Mathematics)|
|1982-1984||Postdoctoral Fellowship, NMR Imaging, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX|
|1999||American Board of Medical Physics, with special competence in Magnetic Resonance Imaging Physics|
|1995||American Board of Science in Nuclear Medicine, with special competence in Nuclear Medicine Physics and Instrumentation|
Honors & Awards
|2019||Fellow, American Association of Physicists in Medicine|
- Wendt RE, Ketring AR, Frank RK, Simon J. Dosimetric Implications of the Potential Radionuclidic Impurities in Sm-153-DOTMP. Applied Radiation and Isotopes 185:110246. e-Pub 2022.
- Stabin MG, Wendt RE, Flux GD. RADAR Guide: Standard Methods for Calculating Radiation Doses for Radiopharmaceuticals Part 2. Data Analysis and Dosimetry. Journal of Nuclear Medicine 63(3):485-492, 2022. e-Pub 2021. PMID: 34353873.
- Stabin MG, Wendt RE, Flux GD. RADAR Guide: Standard Methods for Calculating Radiation Doses for Radiopharmaceuticals Part 1. Collection of Data for Radiopharmaceutical Dosimetry. Journal of Nuclear Medicine 63(2):316-322, 2022. PMID: 34353875.
- Wendt RE, Selting KA, Lattimer JC, Wong J, Simon J, Stevenson NR, Stearns SD. Radiation safety considerations in the treatment of canine skeletal conditions using 153Sm, 90Y and 117mSn. Health Physics 118(6):702-710, 2020. e-Pub 2020.
- Jimenez C, Nunez R, Wendt R. High-Specific-Activity Iodine 131 Metaiodobenzylguanidine for the Treatment of Metastatic Pheochromocytoma or Paraganglioma: A Novel Therapy for an Orphan Disease. Current Opinion in Endocrinology, Diabetes and Obesity 27(3):162-169, 2020.
- Kim D, Wang NC, Ravikumar V, Raghuram DR, Li J, Patel A, Wendt RE, Rao G, Rao A. Prediction of 1p/19q Codeletion in Diffuse Glioma Patients Using Preoperative Multiparametric Magnetic Resonance Imaging. Frontier in Computational Neuroscience 13:52. e-Pub 2019.
- Wendt RE, Ai HA, Meier JG, Lopez BP, Fahrenholtz SJ, Mawlawi OR. A measurement of the attenuation of radiation from F-18 by a PET/MR scanner. Journal of Applied Clinical Medical Physics 19(6):336-340. e-Pub 2018.
- Ai HA, Mawlawi O, Stafford RJ, Bankson J, Shao Y, Guindani M, Wendt III RE. An Investigation of the Effect of MR Bone Imaging Sensitivity on the Attenuation Correction of Bone in Quantitative Whole-Body PET/MR using Data from Clinical NaF PET/CT Studies. International Journal of Medical Physics, Clinical Engineering and Radiation Oncology 7(3):273-295, 2018. e-Pub 2011.
- Ai HA, Meier JG, Wendt RE. HU deviation in lung and bone tissues: Characterization and a corrective strategy. Medical Physics 45(5):2108-2118, 2018. e-Pub 2018. PMID: 29574856.
- Ingram WS, Yang J, Wendt R, Beadle BM, Rao A, Wang XA, Court LE. The Influence of Non-rigid Anatomy and Patient Positioning on Endoscopy-CT Image Registration in the Head and Neck. Medical Physics 44(8):4159-4168, 2017. e-Pub 2017. PMID: 28513864.
- Ingram WS, Yang J, Beadle BM, Wendt R, Rao A, Wang XA, Court LE. The Feasibility of Endoscopy-CT Image Registration in the Head and Neck without Prospective Endoscope Tracking. PLoS One 12(5):e0177886, 2017. e-Pub 2017. PMID: 28542331.
- Etchebehere EC, Araujo JC, Milton DR, Erwin WD, Wendt RE, Swanston NM, Fox P, Macapinlac HA, Rohren EM. Skeletal Tumor Burden on Baseline 18F-Fluoride PET/CT Predicts Bone Marrow Failure After 223Ra Therapy. Clinical Nuclear Medicine 41(4):268-273, 2016. e-Pub 2016. PMID: 26828141.
- Zhou JJ, Gonzalez A, Lenox MW, Fossum TW, Frank RK, Simon J, Stearns S, Ruoff CM, Wendt III RE, Akabani G. Dosimetry of 90Y-Hydroxide Treatment of Canine Osteosarcoma Using PET/CT: A Liquid Brachytherapy Approach. Applied Radiation and Isotopes 97:193-200, 2015.
- Wendt III, RE. Principal Component Analysis of EBT2 Radiochromic Film for Multichannel Film Dosimetry. International Journal of Medical Physics, Clinical Engineering and Radiation Oncology 3(3):156-166, 2014. e-Pub 2014.
- Simon J, Frank RK, Crump DK, Erwin WD, Ueno NT, Wendt RE. A Preclinical Investigation of the Saturation and Dosimetry of Sm-153-DOTMP as a Bone-Seeking Radiopharmaceutical. Nuclear Medicine and Biology 39(6):770-776, 2012. PMID: 22459336.
- Nishii R, Tong W, Wendt R, Soqhomonyan S, Mykhopadhyay U, Balatoni J, Mawlawi O, Bidaut L, Tinkey P, Borne A, Alauddin M, Gonzalez-Lepera C, Yang B, Gelovani J. Pharmacokinetics, Metabolism, Biodistribution, Radiation Dosimetry and Toxicology of 18F-Fluoroacetate (18F-FACE) in Non-Human Primates. Molecular Imaging and Biology 14(2):213-224, 2012. e-Pub 2011. PMID: 21437735.
- Tian M, Ogawa K, Wendt R, Mykhopadhyay U, Balatoni J, Fukumitsu N, Uthamanthil R, Borne A, Brammer D, Jackson J, Mawlawi O, Alauddin M, Gelovani J. Whole-body Biodistribution Kinetics, Metabolism, and Radiation Dosimetry Estimates of 18F-PEG6-IPQA in Nonhuman Primates. Journal of Nuclear Medicine 52(6):934-941, 2011. PMID: 21571803.
- Dickinson RL, Erwin WD, Stevens DM, Bidaut LM, Mar MV, Macapinlac HA, Wendt III RE. Hybrid Modality Fusion of Planar Scintigrams and CT Topograms to Localize Sentinel Lymph Nodes in Breast Lymphoscintigraphy: Technical Description and Phantom Studies. International Journal of Molecular Imaging 2011, Article ID 298102, 2010.
- Grant RL, Crowder ML, Ibbott GS, Simon J, Frank RK, Rogers J, Loy HM, Adamovics J, Newton J, Oldham M, Stearns S, Wendt RE. Three-Dimensional Dosimetry of a Beta-Emitting Radionuclide Using PRESAGE Dosimeters. Journal of Physics: Conference Series 250(1):470-472, 2010.
- Nunez R, Erwin WD, Wendt III RE, Stachowiak A, Mar M, Stevens D, Madewell JE, Yeung HW, Macapinlac HA. Acquisition Parameters for Oncologic Imaging with a New SPECT/Multislide CT Scanner. Molecular Imaging and Biology 12(2):110-138, 2010. PMID: 20049543.
- Ueno NT, de Souza JA, Booser D, Nakayama K, Madewell J, Wendt RE III, Hortobagyi GN, Podoloff D, Champlin RE. Pilot Study of Targeted Skeletal Radiotherapy for Bone-Only Metastatic Breast Cancer. Clinical Breast Cancer 9(3):173-177, 2009. PMID: 19661041.
- Kappadath SC, Erwin WD, Wendt RE III. A Novel Method to Evaluate Gamma Camera Rotational Uniformity and Sensitivity Variation. Medical Physics 36(6):1947-1955, 2009. PMID: 19610283.
- Mar MV, Dickinson RL, Erwin WD and Wendt RE. Optimal Co-57 Flood Source Activity and Acquisition Time for Lymphoscintigraphy Localization Images. Journal of Nuclear Medicine Technology 36(2):82-87, 2008. PMID: 18483139.
- Christoforidou AV, Saliba RM, Williams P, Qazilbash M, Roden L, Aleman A, Weber D, Mendoza F, Podoloff D, Wendt R, Breitz H, Alexanian R, Champlin R, Giralt S. Results of a retrospective single institution analysis of targeted skeletal radiotherapy with (166)Holmium-DOTMP as conditioning regimen for autologous stem cell transplant for patients with multiple myeloma. Impact on transplant outcomes. Biology of Blood Marrow and Transplantation 13(5):543-9, 2007. e-Pub 2007. PMID: 17448913.
- Breitz HB, Wendt RE, Stabin MS, Shen S, Erwin WD, Rajendran JG, Eary JF, Durack L, Delpassand E, Martin W and Meredith RF. Ho-166-DOTMP Radiation Absorbed Dose Estimation for Skeletal Targeted Radiotherapy (STR). Journal of Nuclear Medicine 47(3):534-542, 2006. PMID: 16513624.
- Madsen MT, Anderson JA, Halama JR, Kleck J, Simpkin DJ, Votaw JR, Wendt RE, Williams LE and Yester MV. AAPM Task Group 108: PET and PET/CT Shielding Requirements. Medical Physics 33(1):4-15, 2006. PMID: 16485403.
- Kappadath SC, Erwin WD and Wendt RE. Observed Inter-Camera Variability of Clinically Relevant Performance Characteristics for Siemens Symbia Gamma Cameras. Journal of Applied Clinical Medical Physics 7(4):74-80, 2006. PMID: 17533358.