Meet Robert Satcher, M.D., Ph.D.
About Dr. Satcher
Dr. Robert L. Satcher is an Associate Professor in the Department of Orthopaedic Oncology at The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center in Houston, Texas. He specializes in the treatment of skeletal metastatic disease, soft tissue sarcoma, technology applications for improving surgical outcomes, teleoncology, and intra operative navigation. Dr. Satcher is a former Astronaut, having served as a mission specialist who visited the International Space Station. Dr. Satcher is leading institutional efforts to establish the clinical enterprise for virtual care at MDACC. Additionally, his work with MD Anderson’s Global Oncology enterprise is focused on building relationships with international healthcare partners that will lead to the construction of a Cancer Center in sub-Saharan Africa. Dr. Satcher co-founded the eHealth Research Institute (eHRI), a collaborative endeavor between Rice University, the National Space Biomedical Research Institute, and MD Anderson Cancer Center, to bring together physicians with academic and industry researchers to improve access to specialized health care using the latest in research and technology. Dr. Satcher is a member of numerous professional organizations including the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgery, Musculoskeletal Tumor Society, National Comprehensive Cancer Network, American Telemedicine Association, American Association of Cancer Research, Doctors United in Medical Missions, and the Orthopaedic Research Society.
In the News
Associate Professor, Department of Orthopedic Oncology, Division of Surgery, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
Adjunct Professor, Ken Kennedy Institute of Information Technology, Rice University, Houston, TX
|1994||Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA, USA, MD, Medicine|
|1993||Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Boston, MA, USA, PHD, Chemical Engineering|
|1986||Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, MA, USA, BS, Chemical Engineering|
|2008-2010||Extravehicular Activity Training, Neutral Buoyancy Laboratory, NASA - Johnson Space Center, Houston, TX|
|2008-2008||Robotic Arm Training Fellowship, Japanese Space Agency, JAXA, Tskuba|
|2004-2006||Astronaut Candidate Basic Training, NASA - Johnson Space Center, Houston, TX|
|2000-2001||Clinical Fellowship, Orthopaedic Oncology Surgery Clinical, Enneking Fellow, University of Florida - Shands Hospital Center, Gainesville, FL|
|1997-1998||Research Fellowship, Bone Biology and Cellular Biomechanics, University of California - Berkeley and UCSF, Berkeley, CA|
|1997-2000||Research Fellowship, Bone Biology and Endocrinology Laboratory, UCSF, San Francisco, CA|
|1995-2000||Clinical Residency, Orthopaedic Surgery Resident, University of California, San Francisco, CA|
|1994-1995||General Surgery Internship, Intern, University of California, San Francisco, CA|
|1993-1993||Clinical Fellowship, Surgery and Internal Medicine, Schweitzer Fellow, Albert Schweitzer Hospital, Lambarane|
|1993-1994||Research Fellowship, Vascular Pathology and Fluid Dynamics, Harvard Medical School, MA and MIT, Cambridge, MA|
|1984-1985||Engineer Internship, Polymer Chemistry, DuPont Internship, El DuPont deNemours & Co, Camden, SC|
|1982-1983||Engineer Internship, Rheological Studies of Polymer Melts, Polymer Products Division, DuPont Internship, El DuPont deNemours & Co, Camden, SC|
|2013||American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery|
|2003||American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery|
|1995||National Board of Medical Examiners|
Assistant Professor, Department of Orthopedic Oncology, Division of Surgery, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2011 - 2017
Clinical Assistant Professor, Department of Orthopaedic Oncology, Division of Surgery, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2007 - 2011
NASA Mission Specialist Astronaut, NASA - Johnson Space Center, Houston, TX, 2004 - 2011
Adjunct Professor, Department of Department of Biomedical Engineering, Northwestern University, Evanston, IL, 2004 - Present
Assistant Professor, Department of Biomedical Engineering, Northwestern University, Evanston, IL, 2002 - 2008
Assistant Professor, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Northwestern University, The Feinberg School of Medicine, Chicago, IL, 2001 - 2008
Assistant Professor, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Children's Memorial Hospital, Chicago, IL, 2001 - 2008
Adjunct Professor, Department of Institute for Bionanotechnology in Medicine, Northwestern University Medical Center, Chicago, IL, 2001 - 2008
Attending Physician, Department of Orthopaedic Oncology, Northwestern Memorial Hospital - Robert H. Lurie Comprehensive Cancer Center, Chicago, IL, 2001 - 2008
Member, Institute of Medicine, Committee to Review NASA's Evidence Reports on Health Risk, Washington, DC, 2013 - Present
User Panel Member, National Space Biomedical Research Institute, Houston, TX, 2013 - Present
Board Member, CSTEM (Communication, Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics, Houston, TX, 2012 - Present
Board Member, Teach For America, Houston, TX, 2012 - Present
Board Member, ConvergeUS, Washington, DC, 2012 - 2014
Faculty Lead, Cancer Center development projects in Ethiopia, Ghana and Nigeria, MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2011 - Present
Faculty Lead, Telemedicine and Telesurgery on Cancer Care program development, MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2011 - Present
Vice Chairman, Board of Trustees, Voorhees College, Denmark, SC, 2011 - 2016
District IV Representative, National Selection Committee, Massachusetts Institute of Technology Alumni Association, Cambridge, MA, 2008 - 2011
Member, Visiting Committee of MIT Corporation, Whitaker College for Biomedical Sciences, Health Sciences and Technology, Cambridge, MA, 2008 - Present
Institutional Committee Activities
Member, Division of Surgery Educational Initiatives Committee, 2012 - Present
Chairman, Telemedicine and Telesurgery for Regional Care Centers, 2011 - Present
Africa Committee, Global Academic Programs and Business Development, 2011 - Present
Military or Other Governmental Service
Astronaut Representative, Musculoskeletal Injury Advisory Committee, NASA, Johnson Space Center, 2009 - 2010
Astronaut Representative, Committee for the Protection of Human Subjects, NASA, Johnson Space Center, 2007 - Present
Appointed Member, Human Medical Research Board, NASA, Johnson Space Center, 2006 - Present
Mission Specialist, Astronaut, NASA, Johnson Space Center,, 2004 - 2011
|2015||AT&T’s 2015 African American History Calendar|
|2015||28 Days Game Changers Past & Present, AT&T|
|2014||AICHE MAC Eminent Engineer Award, Georgia Aerospace Inc|
|2013||Business/Civic Leadership Forum Fellow, Center for Houston's Future|
|2013||1st Annual Strong Mean & Women in Virginia History, Library of Virginia and Dominion|
|2012||Honorary Doctorate of Science, St. Paul's College|
|2012||Honorary Doctorate of Science, Voorhees College|
|2010||Finalist, Tuskegee University Presidency Search|
|2009||Mission Specialist Astronaut, STS - 129/ULF3 Space Shuttle Atlantis Mission|
|2009||American-British-Canadian (ABC) Fellow, American Orthopaedic Association (AOA)|
|2008||Leadership Fellows Program, Class of 2008-2009, AAOS|
|2008||Selected for "America's Top Surgeons", Consumers' Research Council of America|
|2008||Selected for Who's Who, Black Houston|
|2004||Crain's 40 under 40 Laureate, Crain's Business Journal, Chicago, IL|
|2002||Career Development Award, Orthopaedic Research and Education Foundation|
|1997||Merck - UNCF Scholar, Merck - UNCF Postdoctoral Fellowship, Merck, Inc|
|1991||Best Research Award for "The Distribution of fluid forces on arterial endothelial cells", American Society of Mechanical Engineers|
|1986||Albert G. Hill Award, Dean of Engineering Award, Massachusetts Institute of Technology|
|1985||Monsanto Award, Dean of Engineering Award for highest GPA, Massachusetts Institute of Technology|
|1985||Tau Beta Pi Engineering Honor Society, Massachusetts Institute of Technology|
|1984||National Merit Scholar, Summer Education Enrichment Program Scholar, Medical College of Georgia|
|1982||Valedictorian, Denmark-Olar High School|
|1982||Scholastic Collegiate Scholarships, DuPont de Nemours Inc|
- Nguyen QN, Chun SG, Chow E, Komaki R, Liao Z, Zacharia R, Szeto BK, Welsh JW, Hahn SM, Fuller CD, Moon BS, Bird JE, Satcher R, Lin PP, Jeter M, O'Reilly MS, Lewis VO. Single-Fraction Stereotactic vs Conventional Multifraction Radiotherapy for Pain Relief in Patients With Predominantly Nonspine Bone Metastases: A Randomized Phase 2 Trial. JAMA Oncol 5(6):872-878, 2019. e-Pub 2019. PMID: 31021390.
- Satcher RL, Lin PP, Huran N, Fen L, Moon BS, Lewis VO. The benefit of surgical management of colorectal carcinoma bone metastases. Journal of Solid Tumors 3(6):27-37, 2013. e-Pub 2013.
- Xing Z, Moon BS, Satcher RL, Lin PP, Lewis VO. A long femoral stem is not always required in hip arthroplasty for patients with proximal femur metastases. Clin Orthop Relat Res 471(5):1622-7, 2013. e-Pub 2013. PMID: 23361930.
- Satcher RL, Bamidele O, Lin PP, Lin SH, Moon BS, Hernandez M, Lewis VO, Chilton J. Racial disparities in survival outcomes of prostate cancer patients after surgery for bone metastases. Journal of Cancer Therapy 4:27-36, 2013.
- Moon B, Lin P, Satcher R, Lewis V. Simultaneous nailing of skeletal metastases: is the mortality really that high?. Clin Orthop Relat Res 469(8):2367-70, 2011. e-Pub 2011. PMID: 21328019.
- Lee YC, Cheng CJ, Bilen MA, Lu JF, Satcher RL, Yu-Lee LY, Gallick GE, Maity SN, Lin SH. BMP4 promotes prostate tumor growth in bone through osteogenesis. Cancer Res 71(15):5194-203, 2011. e-Pub 2011. PMID: 21670081.
- Kai L, Wang J, Ivanovic M, Chung YT, Laskin WB, Schulze-Hoepfner F, Mirochnik Y, Satcher RL, Levenson AS. Targeting prostate cancer angiogenesis through metastasis-associated protein 1 (MTA1). Prostate 71(3):268-80, 2011. e-Pub 2010. PMID: 20717904.
- Mata A, Geng Y, Henrikson KJ, Aparicio C, Stock SR, Satcher RL, Stupp SI. Bone regeneration mediated by biomimetic mineralization of a nanofiber matrix. Biomaterials 31(23):6004-12, 2010. e-Pub 2010. PMID: 20472286.
- Zhang S, Wang J, Bilen MA, Lin SH, Stupp SI, Satcher RL. Modulation of prostate cancer cell gene expression by cell-to-cell contact with bone marrow stromal cells or osteoblasts. Clin Exp Metastasis 26(8):993-1004, 2009. e-Pub 2009. PMID: 19787436.
- Sargeant TD, Guler MO, Oppenheimer SM, Mata A, Satcher RL, Dunand DC, Stupp SI. Hybrid bone implants: self-assembly of peptide amphiphile nanofibers within porous titanium. Biomaterials 29(2):161-71, 2008. e-Pub 2007. PMID: 17936353.
- Wang J, Jarrett J, Huang CC, Satcher RL, Levenson AS. Identification of estrogen-responsive genes involved in breast cancer metastases to the bone. Clin Exp Metastasis 24(6):411-22, 2007. e-Pub 2007. PMID: 17593529.
- Wang J, Levenson AS, Satcher RL. Identification of a unique set of genes altered during cell-cell contact in an in vitro model of prostate cancer bone metastasis. Int J Mol Med 17(5):849-56, 2006. PMID: 16596270.
- Levenson AS, Thurn KE, Simons LA, Veliceasa D, Jarrett J, Osipo C, Jordan VC, Volpert OV, Satcher RL, Gartenhaus RB. MCT-1 oncogene contributes to increased in vivo tumorigenicity of MCF7 cells by promotion of angiogenesis and inhibition of apoptosis. Cancer Res 65(23):10651-6, 2005. PMID: 16322206.
- Patton KT, Satcher RL, Laskin WB. Capillary hemangioblastoma of soft tissue: report of a case and review of the literature. Hum Pathol 36(10):1135-9, 2005. e-Pub 2005. PMID: 16226115.
- Levenson AS, Thurn TE, Veliceasa D, Jerrett J, Osipo C, Jordan V, Volpert Ov, Satcher RL, Gartenhaus RB. Overexpression of MCTA oncogene contributes to increased tumurogenicity of MCF7 breast cancer cells. Cancer Research 65(23):10651 - 6, 2005.
- Satcher RL, Dvorkin K, Levenson AS, Vandenbroek T, Stupp SI. Gene expression in cancer cells is influenced by contact with bone cells in a novel coculture system that models bone metastasis. Clin Orthop Relat Res(426):54-63, 2004. PMID: 15346052.
- Garcia ND, Morasch MD, Sam AD, Satcher RL, Blum MG, Fullerton DA. Inferior vena cava thrombus removal using hypothermic circulatory arrest in two patients with osteosarcoma. Ann Vasc Surg 17(6):686-9, 2003. PMID: 14738095.
- Satcher RL, Noss RS, Yingling CD, Ressler J, Ries M. The use of motor-evoked potentials to monitor sciatic nerve status during revision total hip arthroplasty. J Arthroplasty 18(3):329-32, 2003. PMID: 12728425.
- Satcher, RL, O'Donnell R, Johnston JO. Reconstruction of the pelvis following resection of malignant tumors about the acetabulum. Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research 1(408), 2003.
- Satcher RL, Levenson AS, Dvorkin K, Stupp SI. Quantifying the role of cell-cell contact for establishing bone metastasis using a novel co-culture system. Proceeding of the American Association for Cancer Research 44(55), 2003.
- Nauman EA, Satcher RL, Keaveny TM, Halloran BP, Bikle DD. Osteoblasts respond to pulsatile fluid flow with short-term increases in PGE(2) but no change in mineralization. J Appl Physiol 90(5):1849-54, 2001. PMID: 11299276.
- Allred DR, Carlton JM, Satcher RL, Long JA, Brown WC, Patterson PE, O'Connor RM, Stroup SE. The ves multigene family of B. bovis encodes components of rapid antigenic variation at the infected erythrocyte surface. Mol Cell 5(1):153-62, 2000. PMID: 10678177.
- Satcher RL. African Americans and orthopaedic surgery. A resident's perspective. Clin Orthop Relat Res(362):114-6, 1999. PMID: 10335289.
- Nauman EA, Risic KJ, Keaveny TM, Satcher RL. Quantitative assessment of steady and pulsatile flow fields in a parallel plate flow chamber. Ann Biomed Eng 27(2):194-9, 1999. PMID: 10199696.
- Nauman EA, Chang WCW, Satcher RL, Keaveny TM. Microscale Engineering applications in bone adaption. Microscale Thermophysical Engineering 2:139-172, 1998.
- Satcher R, Dewey CF, Hartwig JH. Mechanical remodeling of the endothelial surface and actin cytoskeleton induced by fluid flow. Microcirculation 4(4):439-53, 1997. PMID: 9431512.
- Satcher RL, Dewey CF. Theoretical estimates of mechanical properties of the endothelial cell cytoskeleton. Biophys J 71(1):109-18, 1996. PMID: 8804594.
- Satcher RL, Dewey CF. Mechanical properties of actin cytoskeleton of endothelial cells. Annals of Biomedical Engineering 23(Supplement 1):s-26, 1995.
- Laurencin CT, Gerhart T, Witschger P, Satcher R, Domb A, Rosenberg AE, Hanff P, Edsberg L, Hayes W, Langer R. Bioerodible polyanhydrides for antibiotic drug delivery: in vivo osteomyelitis treatment in a rat model system. J Orthop Res 11(2):256-62, 1993. PMID: 8483038.
- Satcher RL, Bussolari SR, Gimbrone MA, Dewey CF. The distribution of fluid forces on model arterial endothelium using computational fluid dynamics. J Biomech Eng 114(3):309-16, 1992. PMID: 1522724.
- Satcher RL, Pan T, Cheng C, Lee Y, Lin S, Yu G, Li X, Hoang A, Tamboli P, Jonasch E, Gallick G, Lin S. Cadherin-11 in Renal Cell Carcinoma Bone Metastasis. PLOS ONE 9(2):1-10. e-Pub 2014.
- Lee YC, Bilen MA, Yu G, Lin SC, Huang CF, Ortiz A, Cho H, Song JH, Satcher RL, Kuang J, Gallick GE, Yu-Lee LY, Huang W, Lin SH. Inhibition of Cell Adhesion by an Anti-cadherin 11 Antibody Prevents Bone Metastasis. Mol Cancer Res. e-Pub 2013. PMID: 23913163.
- Biermann JS, Adkins DR, Agulnik M, Benjamin RS, Brigman B, Butrynski JE, Cheong D, Chow W, Curry WT, Frassica DA, Frassica FJ, Hande KR, Hornicek FJ, Jones RL, Mayerson J, McGarry SV, McGrath B, Morris CD, O'Donnell RJ, Randall RL, Santana VM, Satcher RL, Siegel HJ, von Mehren M, Bergman MA, Sundar H. Bone cancer. J Natl Compr Canc Netw 11(6):688-723, 2013. PMID: 23744868.
- Biermann JS, Adkins DR, Benjamin RS, Brigman B, Chow W, Conrad EU, Frassica DA, Frassica FJ, George S, Hande KR, Hornicek FJ, Letson GD, Mayerson J, McGarry SV, McGrath B, Morris CD, O'Donnell RJ, Randall RL, Santana VM, Satcher RL, Siegel HJ, Somaiah N, Yasko AW, National Comprehensive Cancer Network Bone Cancer Panel. Bone cancer. J Natl Compr Canc Netw 8(6):688-712, 2010. PMID: 20581300.
- Satcher R. An orthopaedic surgeon in space: an interview with Robert Satcher, MD, PhD. Interview by Tony Peregrin. Bull Am Coll Surg 95(4):11-5, 2010. PMID: 21456425.
- Biermann JS, Adkins D, Benjamin R, Brigman B, Chow W, Conrad EU, Frassica D, Frassica FJ, George S, Healey JH, Heck R, Letson GD, Mayerson J, McGarry SV, O'Donnell RJ, Patt J, Randall RL, Santana V, Satcher RL, Schmidt RG, Siegel HJ, Wong MK, Yasko AW, National Comprehensive Cancer Network. Bone cancer. J Natl Compr Canc Netw 5(4):420-37, 2007. PMID: 17442233.
- Biermann JS, Baker LH, Benjamin R, Brigman B, Chow W, Conrad EU, Frassica D, Frassica FJ, George S, Healey JH, Heck R, Letson GD, Mayerson J, Neff J, O'Donnell RJ, Randall RL, Santana V, Satcher RL, Schmidt RG, Siegel HJ, Wong MK, Yasko AW, National Comprehensive Cancer Network. Bone cancer clinical practice guidelines. J Natl Compr Canc Netw 3(2):124-40, 2005. PMID: 19817025.
- Satcher RL, Bogler O, Hyle L, Lee A, Simmons A, Williams R, Hawke E, Matin S, Brewster A, Telemedicine and Telesurgery in Cancer Care: Inaugural Conference at MD Anderson Cancer Center. Journal of Surgical Oncology, 2014.
- Satcher RL How Intraoperative Navigation is Changing Musculoskeletal Tumor Surgery. Orthopedic Clinics of North America 44(4):645-656, 2013.
- Satcher RL, Farach-Carson M, Lin SH Gender Differences in Bone Metastasis. Clin Orth & Rel Res.
|Title:||In Vivo study of the use of antibiotic loaded biodegradable matrices in the treatment of osteomyelitis|
|Funding Source:||MIT Undergraduate Research Grant|
|Funding Source:||Merck/UNCF Biomedical Foundation|
|Title:||Stem cell growth and Differentiation is influenced by mechanical forces|
|Funding Source:||Children's Research Foundation, Children's Memorial Hospital|
|Title:||Role of cell contact in prostate skeletal metastasis|
|Funding Source:||Robert H. Lurie Comprehensive Cancer Center, SPORE in prostate cancer|
|Title:||The use of mechanical forces to influence stem cell growth and development for the production of bone substitutes|
|Funding Source:||Orthopedic Research and Education Foundation, Zimmer Career Development Award|
|Title:||Estrogen and selective receptor modulators (SERMS) in breast cancer metastases to bone|
|Funding Source:||Avon Foundation|
|Title:||SPORE in prostate cancer|
|Title:||Nanotechnology Strategies for growth of bones and teeth|
|Funding Source:||John S. Dunn Foundation Collaborative Research Award|
|Funding Source:||ATT Telesurgery Grant|
|Title:||Robert Wood Johnson Foundation|
|Funding Source:||Robert Wood Johnson Foundation|
|Title:||Robert Wood Johnson Foundation|
|Funding Source:||Robert Wood Johnson Foundation|
|Title:||R. Lee Clark Fellowship Grant Proposal|
|Funding Source:||The University of Texas M.D. Anderson Cancer Center|
|Title:||Using telemonitoring to optimize the mobility of cancer survivors with skeletal metastases after surgery to preserve limb function|
|Funding Source:||The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center Cancer Survivorship Research RFA|
|Title:||Multidisciplinary Research Grant - Department of Translational Research|
|Funding Source:||The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center|
Photo credit: NASA
Photo credit: Wyatt McSpadden
Photo credit: NASA
Photo credit: NASA