About Dr. Volk
I am a decision scientist and Professor in the Department of Health Services Research at the University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center in Houston, Texas. My research focus is shared decision making, a process wherein patients and their health care providers jointly making difficult clinical decisions when the optimal strategy is uncertain. I head the Decision Support Lab and the Shared Decision Making Collaborative at MD Anderson, where I was named the 2012 Outstanding Patient Educator and received a President’s Recognition for Faculty Excellence award in 2016. My patient decision aids have received two Telly Awards and a platinum Hermes Creative Award for best film and video production in the area of health care. I am a member of the Steering Committee for the International Patient Decision Aid Standards (IPDAS) Collaboration, which recently published a series of standards for developers and users of patient decision aids. My research in patient decision support has been funded by the National Cancer Institute, the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ), Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the Patient-Centered Outcomes Research Institute (PCORI), and other non-federal sources. My recent PCORI funding focuses on promotion of informed decisions about lung cancer screening with low-dose computed tomography. I also serve as co-principal investigator of the John M. Eisenberg Center for Clinical Decisions and Communications Science, an AHRQ-funded center for translation of complex scientific information into materials for consumers, clinicians and policymakers.
Professor, Department of Health Services Research, Division of Division of Cancer Prevention and Population Sciences, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
Affiliate Member, Center for Medical Ethics and Health Policy, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX
|1989||Purdue University, West Lafayette, IN, USA, PHD, Child Development and Family Studies|
|1985||The University of Wisconsin, Madison, WI, USA, MS, Child and Family Studies|
|1982||The University of Wisconsin, Madison, WI, USA, BS, Child and Family Studies|
Adjunct Professor, Department of Department of Family and Community Medicine, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX, 2009 - 2016
Adjunct Professor, Department of Center for Health Promotion and Prevention Research, The University of Texas School of Public Health, Houston, TX, 2008 - 2016
Director, Department of Health Services Research, Shared Decision Making Collaborative, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, Houston, TX, 2015 - Present
Institutional Committee Activities
Vice Chair, Institutional Review Board 4, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2015 - Present
Member, Cancer Prevention Research Training Program (CPRTP) Advisory Board, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2015 - 2018
Member, Health Disparities Research Faculty Search Committee, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2015 - Present
Member, Health Services Research Faculty Search Committee, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2015 - Present
Member, Adisson Board, Center for Community Engaged Transitional Research (CCETR) Executive Advisory Committee, 2015 - Present
Member, Promotion and Tenure Committee (PTC), The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2015 - 2018
Member, The Patient-Reported Outcomes, Survey & Population Research (PROSPR) Shared Resources Advisory Committee, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2014 - Present
Member, Study Section Review Committee for Clinical Translational and Population-Based Research Projects, Institutional Research Grant Program (IRG), The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2014 - Present
Member, Postdoctoral Advisory Committee (PDAC), The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2010 - 2013
|2017||Leading Mentor in Cancer Prevention Award, Division of Cancer Prevention and Population Sciences, Honorable Mention, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center|
|2017||President’s Recognition for Faculty Excellence in Education and Mentorship Advancement, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center|
|2017||Hermes Creative Awards Gold Winner, patient decision aid "Pathways: a fertility preservation decision aid for women with cancer", Association of Marketing and Communication Professionals (AMCP)|
|2016||President’s Recognition for Faculty Excellence Award, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center|
- Ashorobi OS, Frost J, Wang X, Roberson P, Lin E, Volk RJ, Lopez DS, Jones LA, Pettaway CA. Prostate cancer education, eetection and follow-up in a community based multiethnic cohort of medically underserved men. Am J Mens Health 11 (1) :82-91, 2017. e-Pub 2015. PMID: 25986045.
- Street RL, Volk RJ, Lowenstein L, Michael Fordis C. Engaging patients in the uptake, understanding, and use of evidence: Addressing barriers and facilitators of successful engagement. Patient Educ Couns 100 (1) :4, 2017. PMID: 27450480.
- Spatz ES, Elwyn G, Moulton BW, Volk RJ, Frosch DL. Shared decision making as part of value based care: New U.S. policies challenge our readiness. Z Evid Fortbild Qual Gesundhwes 123-124:104-108, 2017. PMID: 28532630.
- Kostick KM, Minard CG, Wilhelms LA, Delgado E, Abraham M, Bruce CR, Estep JD, Loebe M, Volk RJ, Blumenthal-Barby JS. Development and validation of a patient-centered knowledge scale for left ventricular assist device placement. J Heart Lung Transplant 35 (6) :768-76, 2016. e-Pub 2016. PMID: 26922278.
- Kalra S, Basourakos S, Abouassi A, Achim M, Volk RJ, Hoffman KE, Davis JW, Kim J. The implications of ageing and life expectancy in prostate cancer treatment. Nat Rev Urol 13 (5) :289-95, 2016. e-Pub 2016. PMID: 27001016.
- Enard KR, Dolan Mullen P, Kamath GR, Dixon NM, Volk RJ. Are cancer-related decision aids appropriate for socially disadvantaged patients? A systematic review of US randomized controlled trials. BMC Med Inform Decis Mak 16 (1) :64, 2016. e-Pub 2016. PMID: 27267490.
- Le YL, McFall SL, Byrd TL, Volk RJ, Cantor SB, Kuban DA, Mullen PD. Is "Active Surveillance" an Acceptable Alternative?: A Qualitative Study of Couples' Decision Making about Early-Stage, Localized Prostate Cancer. Narrat Inq Bioeth 6 (1) :51-61, 2016. PMID: 27346824.
- Volk RJ, Linder SK, Lopez-Olivo MA, Kamath GR, Reuland DS, Saraykar SS, Leal VB, Pignone MP. Patient decision aids for colorectal cancer screening: A systematic review and meta-analysis. Am J Prev Med 51 (5) :779-791, 2016. e-Pub 2016. PMID: 27593418.
- Lowenstein LM, Richards VF, Leal VB, Housten AJ, Bevers TB, Cantor SB, Cinciripini PM, Cofta-Woerpel LM, Escoto KH, Godoy MC, Linder SK, Munden RF, Volk RJ. A brief measure of Smokers' knowledge of lung cancer screening with low-dose computed tomography. Prev Med Rep 4:351-6, 2016. PMID: 27512650.
- Davies KR, Brewster AM, Bedrosian I, Parker PA, Crosby MA, Peterson SK, Shen Y, Volk RJ, Cantor SB. Outcomes of contralateral prophylactic mastectomy in relation to familial history: A decision analysis (BRCR-D-16-00033). Breast Cancer Res 18 (1) :93, 2016. e-Pub 2016. PMID: 27650678.
- Blanchard P, Volk RJ, Ringash J, Peterson SK, Hutcheson KA, Frank SJ. Assessing head and neck cancer patient preferences and expectations: A systematic review. Oral Oncol 62 (62) :44-53, 2016. PMID: 27865371.
- Cantor SB, Deshmukh AA, Krahn MD, Volk RJ. Use of forecasted assessment of quality of life to validate time-tradeoff utilities and a prostate cancer screening decision-analytic model. Health Expect 18 (5) :1610-20, 2015. e-Pub 2013. PMID: 26039695.
- McFall SL, Mullen PD, Byrd TL, Cantor SB, Le YC, Torres-Vigil I, Pettaway C, Volk RJ. Treatment decisions for localized prostate cancer: a concept mapping approach. Health Expect 18 (6) :2079-90, 2015. PMID: 24506829.
- Volk RJ, Kinsman GT, Le YC, Swank P, Blumenthal-Barby J, McFall SL, Byrd TL, Mullen PD, Cantor SB. Designing normative messages about active surveillance for men with localized prostate cancer. J Health Commun 0 (9) :1-7, 2015. e-Pub 2015. PMID: 26066011.
- Blumenthal-Barby JS, Robinson E, Cantor SB, Naik AD, Russell HV, Volk RJ. The neglected topic: presentation of cost information in patient decision aids. Med Decis Making 35 (4) :412-8, 2015. e-Pub 2015. PMID: 25583552.
- Linder SK, Kamath GR, Pratt GF, Saraykar SS, Volk RJ. Citation searches are more sensitive than keyword searches to identify studies using specific measurement instruments. J Clin Epidemiol 68 (4) :412-7, 2015. PMID: 25554521.
- Witteman HO, Dansokho SC, Colquhoun H, Coulter A, Dugas M, Fagerlin A, Giguere AM, Glouberman S, Haslett L, Hoffman A, Ivers N, Légaré F, Légaré J, Levin C, Lopez K, Montori VM, Provencher T, Renaud JS, Sparling K, Stacey D, Vaisson G, Volk RJ, Witteman W. User-centered design and the development of patient decision aids: protocol for a systematic review. Syst Rev 4:11, 2015. e-Pub 2015. PMID: 25623074.
- Blumenthal-Barby JS, Kostick KM, Delgado ED, Volk RJ, Kaplan HM, Wilhelms LA, McCurdy SA, Estep JD, Loebe M, Bruce CR. Assessment of Patients' and Caregivers' Informational and Decisional Needs for Left Ventricular Assist Device Placement: Implications for Informed Consent and Shared Decision Making. J Heart Lung Transplant 34 (9) :1182-9, 2015. e-Pub 2015. PMID: 26087668.
- Blumenthal-Barby JS, Lee D, Volk RJ. Toward Ethically Responsible Choice Architecture in Prostate Cancer Treatment Decision-Making. CA Cancer J Clin 65 (4) :257-60, 2015. e-Pub 2015. PMID: 25998159.
- Cantor SB, Rajan T, Linder SK, Volk RJ. A Framework for Evaluating the Cost-Effectiveness of Patient Decision Aids: A Case Study Using Colorectal Cancer Screening. Prev Med 77:168-173, 2015. PMID: 25979678.
- Bruce CR, Kostick KM, Delgado ED, Wilhelms LA, Volk RJ, Smith ML, McCurdy SA, Loebe M, Estep JD, Blumenthal-Barby JS. Reasons Why Eligible Candidates Decline Left Ventricular Assist Device Placement. J Card Fail 21 (10) :835-9, 2015. e-Pub 2015. PMID: 26112460.
- Volk RJ, Foxhall LE. Readiness of Primary Care Clinicians to Implement Lung Cancer Screening Programs. Prev Med Rep 2 (143) :717-719, 2015. e-Pub 2015. PMID: 26844142.
- Poddar U, Brownlee S, Stacey D, Volk RJ, Williams JW, Elwyn G. Patient Decision Aids: A Case for Certification at the National Level in the United States. J Clin Ethics 26 (4) :306-11, 2015. PMID: 26752384.
- Rochon D, Eberth JM, Fraenkel L, Volk RJ, Whitney SN. Elderly patients’ experiences using Adaptive Conjoint Analysis software as a decision aid for osteoarthritis of the knee. Health Expect 17 (6) :1369-7625, 2014. PMID: 22994378.
- Linder SK, Kallen MA, Mullen PD, Galliher JM, Swank PR, Chan EC, Volk RJ. Physician Behaviors to Promote Informed Decisions for Prostate Cancer Screening: a National Research Network Study. J Cancer Educ 29 (2) :345-9, 2014. e-Pub 2014. PMID: 24488590.
- Volk RJ, McFall SL, Cantor SB, Byrd TL, Le YC, Kuban DA, Mullen PD. 'It's not like you just had a heart attack': decision-making about active surveillance by men with localized prostate cancer. Psychooncology 23 (4) :467-72, 2014. PMID: 24243777.
- Volk RJ, Linder SK, Leal VB, Rabius V, Cinciripini PM, Kamath GR, Munden RF, Bevers TB. Feasibility of a patient decision aid about lung cancer screening with low-dose computed tomography. Prev Med 62C:60-63, 2014. PMID: 24518006.
- Hoffman KE, Niu J, Shen Y, Jiang J, Davis JW, Kim J, Kuban DA, Perkins GH, Shah JB, Smith GL, Volk RJ, Buchholz TA, Giordano SH, Smith BD. Physician variation in management of low-risk prostate cancer: a population-based cohort study. JAMA Intern Med 174 (9) :1450-9, 2014. PMID: 25023650.
- Volk RJ, Shokar NK, Leal VB, Bulik RJ, Linder SK, Mullen PD, Wexler RM, Shokar GS. Development and pilot testing of an online case-based approach to shared decision making skills training for clinicians. BMC Med Inform Decis Mak 14 (1) :95, 2014. PMID: 25361614.
- Hoffman AS, Llewellyn-Thomas HA, Tosteson AN, O'Connor AM, Volk RJ, Tomek IM, Andrews SB, Bartels SJ. Launching a virtual decision lab: development and field-testing of a web-based patient decision support research platform. BMC Med Inform Decis Mak 14 (1) :112, 2014. PMID: 25495552.
- Brown AE, Tonigan JS, Pavlik VN, Kosten TR, Volk RJ. Spirituality and Confidence to Resist Substance Use Among Celebrate Recovery Participants. J Relig Health 52 (1) :107-13, 2013. PMID: 21246280.
- Volk RJ, Linder SK, Kallen MA, Galliher JM, Spano MS, Mullen PD, Spann SJ. Primary care physicians' use of an informed decision-making process for prostate cancer screening. Ann Fam Med 11 (1) :1-8, 2013. PMID: 23319508.
- Blumenthal-Barby JS, Cantor SB, Russell HV, Naik AD, Volk RJ. Decision Aids: when 'nudging' patients to make a particular choice is more ethical than balanced, nondirective content. Health Aff (Millwood) 32 (2) :303-10, 2013. PMID: 23381523.
- Smith QW, Street RL, Volk RJ, Fordis M. Differing levels of clinical evidence: exploring communication challenges in shared decision making. Introduction. Med Care Res Rev 70 (1 Suppl) :3S-13S, 2013. PMID: 23223330.
- Volk RJ, Llewellyn-Thomas H, Stacey D, Elwyn G. Ten years of the International Patient Decision Aid Standards Collaboration: Evolution of the core dimensions for assessing the quality of patient decision aids. BMC Med Inform Decis Mak 13 Suppl 2:S1, 2013. e-Pub 2013. PMID: 24624947.
- Hoffman AS, Volk RJ, Saarimaki A, Stirling C, Li LC, Härter M, Kamath GR, Llewellyn-Thomas H. Delivering patient decision aids on the Internet: definitions, theories, current evidence, and emerging research areas. BMC Med Inform Decis Mak 13 Suppl 2:S13, 2013. e-Pub 2013. PMID: 24625064.
- Volk RJ, Street R, Smith Q, Fordis M. Supporting informed decision making when clinical evidence and conventional wisdom collide: papers developed from the Eisenberg Center Conference Series 2012. BMC Med Inform Decis Mak 13 Suppl 3:S1, 2013. PMID: 24625302.
- Abhyankar P, Volk RJ, Blumenthal-Barby J, Bravo P, Buchholz A, Ozanne E, Vidal DC, Col N, Stalmeier P. Balancing the presentation of information and options in patient decision aids: an updated review. BMC Med Inform Decis Mak 13 Suppl 2:S6, 2013. e-Pub 2013. PMID: 24625214.
- Bekker HL, Winterbottom AE, Butow P, Dillard AJ, Feldman-Stewart D, Fowler FJ, Jibaja-Weiss ML, Shaffer VA, Volk RJ. Do personal stories make patient decision aids more effective? A critical review of theory and evidence. BMC Med Inform Decis Mak 13 Suppl 2:S9, 2013. e-Pub 2013. PMID: 24625283.
- de Achaval S, Fraenkel L, Volk RJ, Cox V, Suarez-Almazor ME. Impact of educational and patient decision aids on decisional conflict associated with total knee arthroplasty. Arthritis Care Res (Hoboken) 64 (2) :229-37, 2012. PMID: 21954198.
- Linder SK, Swank PR, Vernon SW, Morgan RO, Mullen PD, Volk RJ. Is a prostate cancer screening anxiety measure invariant across two different samples of age-appropriate men?. BMC Med Inform Decis Mak 8 (12) :52, 2012. e-Pub 2012. PMID: 22681782.
- Bisono GM, Simmons L, Volk RJ, Meyer D, Quinn TC, Rosenthal SL. Attitudes and decision making about neonatal male circumcision in a Hispanic population in New York city. Clin Pediatr (Phila) 51 (10) :956-963, 2012. e-Pub 2012. PMID: 22511191.
- Jibaja-Weiss ML, Volk RJ, Granchi TS, Neff NE, Robinson EK, Spann SJ, Aoki N, Friedman LC, Beck JR. Entertainment education for breast cancer surgery decisions: A randomized trial among patients with low health literacy. Patient Educ Couns 84 (1) :41-8, 2011. e-Pub 2010. PMID: 20609546.
- Chan EC, McFall SL, Byrd TL, Mullen PD, Volk RJ, Ureda J, Calderon-Mora J, Morales P, Valdes A, Kay Bartholomew L. A community-based intervention to promote informed decision making for prostate cancer screening among Hispanic American men changed knowledge and role preferences: A cluster RCT. Patient Educ Couns 84 (2) :44-51, 2011. e-Pub 2011. PMID: 21237611.
- Linder SK, Swank PR, Vernon SW, Mullen PD, Morgan RO, Volk RJ. Validity of a low literacy version of the Decisional Conflict Scale. Patient Educ Couns 85 (3) :521-524, 2011. e-Pub 2011. PMID: 21300518.
- Fordis M, Street RL, Volk RJ, Smith Q. The prospects for web 2.0 technologies for engagement, communication, and dissemination in the era of patient-centered outcomes research: selected articles developed from the Eisenberg conference series 2010 meeting. J Health Commun 16 (1) :3-9, 2011. PMID: 21843092.
- Gossey JT, Whitney SN, Crouch MA, Jibaja-Weiss ML, Zhang H, Volk RJ. Promoting knowledge of statins in patients with low health literacy using an audio booklet. Patient Prefer Adherence 5:397-403, 2011. e-Pub 2011. PMID: 21949603.
- Frosch DL, Moulton BW, Wexler RM, Holmes-Rovner M, Volk RJ, Levin CA. Shared Decision Making in the United States: Policy and Implementation Activity on Multiple Fronts. Z Evid Fortbild Qual Gesundhwes 105 (4) :305-12, 2011. e-Pub 2011. PMID: 21620326.
- Leverence RR, Williams RL, Potter M, Fernald D, Unverzagt M, Pace W, Parnes B, Daniels E, Skipper B, Volk RJ, Brown AE, Rhyne RL, PRIME Net Clinicians. Chronic non-cancer pain: a siren for primary care--a report from the PRImary Care MultiEthnic Network (PRIME Net). J Am Board Fam Med 24 (5) :551-61, 2011. PMID: 21900438.
- Wolf AM, Wender RC, Etzioni RB, Thompson IM, D'Amico AV, Volk RJ, Brooks DD, Dash C, Guessous I, Andrews K, DeSantis C, Smith RA, American Cancer Society Prostate Cancer Advisory Committee. American Cancer Society guideline for the early detection of prostate cancer: update 2010. CA Cancer J Clin 60 (2) :70-98, 2010. PMID: 20200110.
- Rubinsky AD, Kivlahan DR, Volk RJ, Maynard C, Bradley KA. Estimating risk of alcohol dependence using alcohol screening scores. Drug Alcohol Depend 108 (1-2) :29-36, 2010. e-Pub 2009. PMID: 20042299.
- Rubel SK, Miller JW, Stephens RL, Xu Y, Scholl LE, Holden EW, Stroud LA, Volk RJ. Testing the effects of a decision aid for prostate cancer screening. J Health Commun 15 (3) :307-21, 2010. PMID: 20432110.
- Kong AS, Williams RL, Rhyne R, Urias-Sandoval V, Cardinali G, Weller NF, Skipper B, Volk R, Daniels E, Parnes B, McPherson L, PRIME Net Clinicians. Acanthosis Nigricans: high prevalence and association with diabetes in a practice-based research network consortium--a PRImary care Multi-Ethnic network (PRIME Net) study. J Am Board Fam Med 23 (4) :476-85, 2010. PMID: 20616290.
- Street RL, Volk RJ, Fordis M. Papers from the 2009 Eisenberg Conference: Translating information into action: improving quality of care through interactive media. Med Decis Making 30 (6) :694-5, 2010. PMID: 21183755.
- Linder SK, Hawley ST, Cooper CP, Scholl LE, Jibaja-Weiss M, Volk RJ. Primary care physicians' reported use of pre-screening discussions for prostate cancer screening: a cross-sectional survey. BMC Fam Pract 10:19, 2009. e-Pub 2009. PMID: 19296843.
- Van Horne BS, Wiemann CM, Berenson AB, Horwitz IB, Volk RJ. Multilevel Predictors of Inconsistent Condom Use Among Adolescent Mothers. Am J Public Health 99 Suppl 2:S417-24, 2009. e-Pub 2009. PMID: 19372530.
- Rustveld LO, Pavlik VN, Jibaja-Weiss ML, Kline KN, Gossey JT, Volk RJ. Adherence to diabetes self-care behaviors in English- and Spanish-speaking Hispanic men. Patient Prefer Adherence 3:123-30, 2009. e-Pub 2009. PMID: 19936154.
- Frank D, DeBenedetti AF, Volk RJ, Williams EC, Kivlahan DR, Bradley KA. Effectiveness of the AUDIT-C as a screening test for alcohol misuse in three race/ethnic groups. J Gen Intern Med 23 (6) :781-7, 2008. e-Pub 2008. PMID: 18421511.
- Whitney SN, Holmes-Rovner M, Brody H, Schneider C, McCullough LB, Volk RJ, McGuire AL. Beyond shared decision making: an expanded typology of medical decisions. Med Decis Making 28 (5) :699-705, 2008. e-Pub 2008. PMID: 18556639.
- Hawley ST, Volk RJ, Krishnamurthy P, Jibaja-Weiss M, Vernon SW, Kneuper S. Preferences for colorectal cancer screening among racially/ethnically diverse primary care patients. Med Care 46 (9 Suppl 1) :S10-6, 2008. PMID: 18725820.
- Volk RJ, Jibaja-Weiss ML, Hawley ST, Kneuper S, Spann SJ, Miles BJ, Hyman DJ. Entertainment education for prostate cancer screening: a randomized trial among primary care patients with low health literacy. Patient Educ Couns 73 (3) :482-9, 2008. e-Pub 2008. PMID: 18760888.
- Whitney SN, Alcser K, Schneider C, McCullough LB, McGuire AL, Volk RJ. Principal investigator views of the IRB system. Int J Med Sci 5 (2) :68-72, 2008. e-Pub 2008. PMID: 18392146.
- Stephens RL, Xu Y, Volk RJ, Scholl LE, Kamin SL, Holden EW, Stroud LA. Influence of a patient decision aid on decisional conflict related to PSA testing: a structural equation model. Health Psychol 27 (6) :711-21, 2008. PMID: 19025266.
- Volk RJ, Hawley ST, Kneuper S, Holden EW, Stroud LA, Cooper CP, Berkowitz JM, Scholl LE, Saraykar SS, Pavlik VN. Trials of decision aids for prostate cancer screening: a systematic review. Am J Prev Med 33 (5) :428-434, 2007. PMID: 17950409.
- Jibaja-Weiss ML, Volk RJ. Utilizing computerized entertainment education in the development of decision aids for lower literate and naïve computer users. J Health Commun 12 (7) :681-97, 2007. PMID: 17934944.
- Brown AE, Pavlik VN, Shegog R, Whitney SN, Friedman LC, Romero C, Davis GC, Cech I, Kosten TR, Volk RJ. Association of spirituality and sobriety during a behavioral spirituality intervention for Twelve Step (TS) recovery. Am J Drug Alcohol Abuse 33 (4) :611-7, 2007. PMID: 17668347.
- Lee JH, Choi YJ, Volk RJ, Kim SY, Kim YS, Park HK, Jeon TH, Hong SK, Spann SJ. Defining the concept of primary care in South Korea using a Delphi method. Fam Med 39 (6) :425-31, 2007. PMID: 17549652.
- Bradley KA, DeBenedetti AF, Volk RJ, Williams EC, Frank D, Kivlahan DR. AUDIT-C as a brief screen for alcohol misuse in primary care. Alcohol Clin Exp Res 31 (7) :1208-17, 2007. e-Pub 2007. PMID: 17451397.
- Hawley ST, Jibaja-Weiss M, Krishnamurthy P, Vernon SW, Herber N, Volk RJ. Developing a tool to assess preferences in minority and low literacy patients. Journal of Health Disparities Research and Practice 1:1-17, 2007.
- Spann SJ, Nutting PA, Galliher JM, Peterson KA, Pavlik VN, Dickinson LM, Volk RJ. Management of type 2 diabetes in the primary care setting: a practice-based research network study. Ann Fam Med 4 (1) :23-31, 2006. PMID: 16449393.
- Jibaja-Weiss ML, Volk RJ, Granch TS, Nefe NE, Spann SJ, Aoki N, Robinson EK, Freidman LC, Beck JR. Entertainment education for informed breast cancer treatment decisions in low-literate women: development and initial evaluation of a patient decision aid. J Cancer Educ 21 (3) :133-9, 2006. PMID: 17371175.
- Jibaja-Weiss ML, Volk RJ, Friedman LC, Granchi TS, Neff NE, Spann SJ, Robinson EK, Aoki N, Robert Beck J. Preliminary testing of a just-in-time, user-defined values clarification exercise to aid lower literate women in making informed breast cancer treatment decisions. Health Expect 9 (3) :218-31, 2006. PMID: 16911136.
- McFall SL, Hamm RM, Volk RJ. Exploring beliefs about prostate cancer and early detection in men and women of three ethnic groups. Patient Educ Couns 61 (1) :109-16, 2006. e-Pub 2005. PMID: 16256292.
- Elwyn G, O'Connor A, Stacey D, Volk R, Edwards A, Coulter A, Thomson R, Barratt A, Barry M, Bernstein S, Butow P, Clarke A, Entwistle V, Feldman-Stewart D, Holmes-Rovner M, Llewellyn-Thomas H, Moumjid N, Mulley A, Ruland C, Sepucha K, Sykes A, Whelan T, International Patient Decision Aids Standards (IPDAS) Collaboration. Developing a quality criteria framework for patient decision aids: online international Delphi consensus process. BMJ 333 (7565) :417, 2006. e-Pub 2006. PMID: 16908462.
- Wiemann CM, Agurcia CA, Rickert VI, Berenson AB, Volk RJ. Absent fathers as providers: Race/ethnic differences in support for adolescent mothers. Child and Adolescent Social Work Journal 23 (5-6) :617-634, 2006.
- Buck DS, Monteiro FM, Kneuper S, Rochon D, Clark DL, Melillo A, Volk RJ. Design and validation of the Health Professionals' Attitudes Toward the Homeless Inventory (HPATHI). BMC Med Educ 5 (1) :2, 2005. e-Pub 2005. PMID: 15642125.
- Jibaja-Weiss ML, Volk RJ, Smith QW, Holcomb JD, Kingery P. Differential effects of messages for breast and cervical cancer screening. J Health Care Poor Underserved 16 (1) :42-52, 2005. PMID: 15741708.
- Wiemann CM, Rickert VI, Berenson AB, Volk RJ. Are pregnant adolescents stigmatized by pregnancy. J Adolesc Health 36 (4) :352.e1-8, 2005. PMID: 15780793.
- Whitney SN, McCullough LB, Frugé E, McGuire AL, Volk RJ. Beyond breaking bad news: the roles of hope and hopefulness. Cancer 113 (2) :442-5. PMID: 18484591.
- Joseph-Williams N, Newcombe R, Politi M, Durand MA, Sivell S, Stacey D, O'Connor A, Volk RJ, Edwards A, Bennett C, Pignone M, Thomson R, Elwyn G. Toward Minimum Standards for Certifying Patient Decision Aids: A Modified Delphi Consensus Process. Med Decis Making 34 (6) :699-710. PMID: 23963501.
- Cantor SB, Volk RJ, Krahn MD, Cass AR, Gilani J, Weller SC, Spann SJ. Concordance of couples' prostate cancer screening recommendations from a decision analysis. Patient 1 (1) :11-19. PMID: 22272754.
- Volk RJ, Hawk E, Bevers TB. Should CMS Cover Lung Cancer Screening for the Fully Informed Patient?. JAMA 312 (12) :1193-4. PMID: 25247511.
- Volk RJ, Wolf AM. Grading the new US Preventive Services Task Force prostate cancer screening recommendation. JAMA 306 (24) :2715-6. PMID: 22203540.
- Hoffman R, Penson D, Volk RJ, Wolf AMD. Prostate-specific antigen screening in prostate cancer. Med Roundtable Gen Med Ed. e-Pub 2013.
- Lopez-Olivo A, Des Border J, Swarez-Almazor M, Volk RJ, Edwards B, Lu H. Online Educational Tool to Promote Bone Health in Cancer Survivors. J Health Commun.
- Hoffman R, Volk RJ. Making the grade: the newest US Preventive Services Task Force prostate cancer screening recommendation. Cancer.
- Berian JR, Cuddy A, Francescatti AB, O'Dwyer L, Nancy You Y, Volk RJ, Chang GJ. A systematic review of patient perspectives on surveillance after colorectal cancer treatment. J Cancer Surviv. e-Pub 2017. PMID: 28639159.
- Lopez-Olivo MA, Ingleshwar A, Volk RJ, Jibaja-Weiss M, Barbo A, Saag K, Leong A, Suarez-Almazor ME. Development and Pilot Testing of Multimedia Patient Education Tools for Patients with Knee Osteoarthritis, Osteoporosis, and Rheumatoid Arthritis. Arthritis Care Res (Hoboken). e-Pub 2017. PMID: 28464546.
- Huo J, Shen C, Volk RJ, Shih YT. Use of CT and chest radiography for lung cancer screening before and after publication of screening guidelines: intended and unintended uptake. JAMA Intern Med 177 (3) :439-441. e-Pub 2017. PMID: 28135349.
- des Bordes JK, Lopez DS, Swartz MD, Volk R. Sociodemographic disparities in cure-intended treatment in localized prostate cancer. J Racial Ethn Health Disparities:1-7. e-Pub 2017. PMID: 28205153.
- Dugas M, Trottier MÈ, Chipenda Dansokho S, Vaisson G, Provencher T, Colquhoun H, Dogba MJ, Dupéré S, Fagerlin A, Giguere AM, Haslett L, Hoffman AS, Ivers NM, Légaré F, Légaré J, Levin CA, Menear M, Renaud JS, Stacey D, Volk RJ, Witteman HO. Involving members of vulnerable populations in the development of patient decision aids: A mixed methods sequential explanatory study. BMC Med Inform Decis Mak 17 (12) :12. PMID: 28103862.
- des Bordes J, Suarez-Almazor ME, Volk RJ, Lu H, Edwards B, Lopez-Olivo MA. Development and testing of an educational website on promoting bone health in cancer survivors. JMIR Res Protoc.
- Housten AJ, Lowenstein LM, Leal VB, Volk RJ. Responsiveness of a brief measure of lung cancer screening knowledge. J Cancer Educ. e-Pub 2016. PMID: 27966194.
- Hoffman AS, Lowenstein LM, Kamath GR, Housten AJ, Leal VB, Linder SK, Jibaja-Weiss ML, Raju GS, Volk RJ. An entertainment-education colorectal cancer screening decision aid for African American patients: A randomized controlled trial. Cancer 123 (8) :1401-1408. PMID: 28001305.
- Gökce MI, Wang X, Frost J, Roberson P, Volk RJ, Brooks D, Canfield SE, Pettaway CA. Informed decision making before prostate-specific antigen screening: Initial results using the American Cancer Society (ACS) Decision Aid (DA) among medically underserved men. Cancer 123 (4) :583-591. PMID: 27727462.
- Lowenstein LM, Housten AJ, Volk RJ. Educating men diagnosed with localized prostate cancer about treatment options: It is more than life expectancy. Ann Fam Med, 2016.
Manuals, Teaching Aids, Other Teaching Publications
- Volk RJ, Lowenstein LM, Fordis M. Is Lung Cancer Screening Right for Me? A Decision Aid for People Considering Lung Cancer Screening With Low-Dose Computed Tomography. Patient Decision Aid. Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ), 2016.
- Volk RJ, Lowenstein LM, Fordis M. Is Lung Cancer Screening Right for Me? A Decisionmaking Tool for You and Your Health Care Professional. Patient Decision Aid. Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ), 2016.
- Volk RJ, Lowenstein LM, Fordis M. Lung Cancer Screening: A Summary Guide for Primary Care Clinicians. Patient Decision Aid. Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ), 2016.
- Volk RJ, Lowenstein LM, Fordis M. Lung Cancer Screening: A Clinician’s Checklist. Patient Decision Aid. Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ), 2016.
- Huo JH, Sheu T, Volk R, Shen C, Shih YCT. Complication rates and downstream medical costs associated with invasive diagnostic procedures for abnormal findings from computerized tomography scans of the chest in the community setting. Value in Health 19 (3) :A298, 2016.
|Title:||Patient Care Outcome Research in the Elderly|
|Funding Source:||Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ) (contract with the University of Texas Medical Branch at Galveston)|
|Title:||Promoting Informed Decisions about Lung Cancer Screening|
|Funding Source:||Patient-Centered Outcomes Research Institute (PCORI)|
|Title:||Methods Training in Patient-Centered Cancer Outcomes Research|
|Funding Source:||Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ)|
|Title:||The John M. Eisenberg Center for Clinical Decisions and Communication Sciences|
|Funding Source:||Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ) (contract with Baylor College of Medicine)|
|Title:||Shared Decision Making Collaborative|
|Funding Source:||Duncan Family Institute (DFI)|
|Title:||Economic Strain and Resilience: Novel Measures of Cancer Treatment Burden|
|Funding Source:||American Cancer Society (ACS)|
|Title:||Design for Better Health: User-Centred Design and Evaluation of Interactive Media for Health Education, Communication and Decision Making|
|Funding Source:||Canadian Institutes of Health Research|
|Title:||Research and development of IDM/SDM tools for the American Cancer Society: A Proposal from The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center|
|Funding Source:||American Cancer Society (ACS)|