About Dr. Narayanan
Dr. Santhosshi Narayanan is currently an Associate Professor in the Department of Palliative, Rehabilitative and Integrative Medicine at The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center in Houston, Texas. Dr Narayanan joined The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center in 2015, after serving in both private practice and academic medicine.
She practices Integrative medicine and her research interests include Mind- body techniques and yoga in the care of cancer patients.
Associate Professor, Department of Palliative, Rehabilitation, & Integrative Medicine, Division of Cancer Medicine, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
Role of Mind-body practices in cancer patients especially in the acute setting Anticoagulation related bleeding in hospitalized cancer patients
Dr. Narayanan’s area of focus is the medical management of cancer patients in acute care setting. Specifically, she is interested in the challenging scenarios in this patient population and established “Challenging Cases in Onco-Medicine Conference,” a pproved for continuous medical education (CME) credits.
|2005||Stanley Medical College, Chennai, IND, MBBS, Medicine|
|2016-2017||The Heart of Leadership for Faculty, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX|
|2016-2017||Texas Medical Association Leadership College, TMA, Austin, TX|
|2016-2017||Global Clinical Research Scholar Training Program, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA|
|2014-2015||Faculty Development Training, University of Texas, Tyler, TX|
|2009-2009||Visiting Resident, Hematology and Oncology, Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Cleveland, OH|
|2008-2011||Clinical Residency, Internal Medicine, Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI|
|2005-2006||Internship, Stanley Medical College, Chennai|
|2011||American Board of Internal Medicine|
Clinical Associate Professor, Division of Internal Medicine, UT Tyler, Good Shepherd Medical Center, Longview, TX, 2014 - 2015
Hospitalist, St. Mary's Medical Center, Evansville, IN, 2011 - 2014
Instructor, Department of General Internal Medicine, Division of Internal Medicine, Michigan State University, Lansing, MI, 2008 - 2011
Fellowship Program Associate Director, Department of General Internal Medicine, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2017 - 2018
Editor, Onco-Hospitalist newsletter, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2016 - 2017
Director of Education, Texas A and M Medical Students Rotation, Department of General Internal Medicine, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2015 - 2018
Chair, Challenging Cases Conference, Department of General Internal Medicine, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2015 - 2018
Preceptor, Department of General Internal Medicine ACP Summer Preceptorship Program, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2015 - Present
Board of director, At large for Texas, American College of Physicians, Houston, TX, 2017 - Present
Alliance Ambassador, Alliance for Academic Internal Medicine, Houston, TX, 2017 - Present
Member, Health Information Technology Committee, Harris County Medical Society, Houston, TX, 2016 - Present
Alternate Delegate, Texas Medical Association, Austin, TX, 2016 - 2018
Young Physician Ambassador, Harris County Medical Society, Houston, TX, 2016 - Present
Chair, Council of Early career Physicians, American College of Physicians, Houston, TX, 2015 - Present
Institutional Committee Activities
Member, GME Wellness and Career Sustainability Committee, 2017 - Present
Member, Blood Transfusion Committee, 2016 - 2018
|2019||Early Career Physician Leader, Texas Chapter of the ACP|
|2015||Distinguished Teaching Faculty Award, UT Tyler IM Residency|
|2015||Fellowship, American College of Physicians|
|2011||Outstanding Resident in Thrombosis Award, Michigan State University|
|2010||First prize for oral presentation, American college of physicians|
|2002||KC Paul Award for Proficiency in Clinical Skills, Stanley Medical College|
|2000||Scholarship Award for Outstanding Students, Sophia Merit Scholarships|
- Powers-James C, Christie A, Narayanan S, Liu W, Gomez T, Cohen L, Lopez G. Frequencies and predictors of health psychology referrals after integrative oncology consultation. Support Care in Cancer 30(8):6963-6972, 2022. e-Pub 2022. PMID: 35545723.
- Narayanan S, Reddy A, Lopez G, Liu W, Ali S, Bruera E, Cohen L, Yennurajalingam S. Sleep disturbance in cancer patients referred to an ambulatory integrative oncology consultation. Support Care Cancer. e-Pub 2021. PMID: 34762218.
- Liu W, Lopez G, Narayanan S, Qdaisat A, Geng Y, Zhou S, Spano M, Underwood S, Eclache MG, Dev R, Dalal S, Bruera E, Cohen L. Acupuncture for Cancer-Related Anorexia: a Review of the Current Evidence. Curr Oncol Rep 23(7):82, 2021. e-Pub 2021. PMID: 33948746.
- Christie AJ, Powers-James C, Narayanan S, Chen M, Eddy C, Gomez T, Crawford K, Cohen L, Lopez G. Multidisciplinary lifestyle modification program (IM-FIT) for cancer survivors: implementation of a reimbursable model in a cancer hospital. Support Care Cancer. e-Pub 2021. PMID: 34050398.
- Narayanan S, Tennison J, Cohen L, Urso C, Subramaniam B, Bruera E. Yoga-Based Breathing Techniques for Health Care Workers During COVID-19 Pandemic: Interests, Feasibility, and Acceptance. J Altern Complement Med. e-Pub 2021. PMID: 33835830.
- Liu W, Qdaisat A, Ferrarotto R, Fuller CD, Guo M, Meyer LA, Narayanan S, Lopez G, Cohen L, Bruera E, Hanna EY, Yeung SJ. Hypomagnesemia and survival in patients with head and neck cancers who received primary concurrent chemoradiation. Cancer 127(4):528-534, 2021. e-Pub 2020. PMID: 33085092.
- Liu W, Qdaisat A, Zhou S, Fuller CD, Ferrarotto R, Guo M, Lai SY, Cardoso R, Mohamed ASR, Lopez G, Narayanan S, van Dijk LV, Cohen L, Bruera E, Yeung SJ, Hanna EY. Hypomagnesemia and incidence of osteoradionecrosis in patients with head and neck cancers. Head Neck 43(2):613-621, 2021. e-Pub 2020. PMID: 33094893.
- Narayanan S, Lopez G, Powers-James C, Fellman BM, Chunduru A, Li Y, Bruera E, Cohen L. Integrative Oncology Consultations Delivered via Telehealth in 2020 and In-Person in 2019: Paradigm Shift During the COVID-19 World Pandemic. Integr Cancer Ther 20:1534735421999101, 2021. PMID: 33655797.
- Narayanan S, Milbury K, Wagner R, Cohen L. Religious Coping in Cancer: A quantitative analysis of expressive writing samples from patients with renal cell carcinoma. J Pain Symptom Manage. e-Pub 2020. PMID: 32387140.
- Narayanan S, Lazar Neto F, Tanco K, Lopez G, Liu W, Bruera E, Subbiah V. Cannabidiol (CBD) Oil, Cancer, and Symptom Management: A Google Trends Analysis of Public Interest. J Altern Complement Med 26(4):346-348, 2020. e-Pub 2020. PMID: 31971821.
- Narayanan S, Reddy A, Lopez G, Liu W, Wu J, Liu D, Manzano J, Williams JL, Mallaiah S, George M, Amaram J, Subramaniam B, Cohen L, Bruera E. Randomized Feasibility Study of Meditative Practices in Hospitalized Cancer Patients. Integr Cancer Ther 19:1534735420909903, 2020. PMID: 32153208.
- Narayanan S, Lopez G, Liu W, Cohen A, Cohen L. The Use of Mobile-technologies to Deliver Integrative Medicine During and Beyond the COVID-19 World Pandemic. Glob Adv Health Med 9:2164956120977437, 2020. e-Pub 2020. PMID: 33294304.
- Liu W, Qdaisat A, Lopez G, Narayanan S, Underwood S, Spano M, Reddy A, Guo Y, Yeung SC, Bruera E, Cohen L. Association Between Acupoint Selection, Target Symptoms, and Traditional Chinese Medicine Diagnosis in Real-Time Clinical Practice in a Comprehensive Cancer Center. Integr Cancer Ther 19:1534735420928490, 2020. PMID: 32508209.
- Sadhasivam S, Alankar S, Maturi R, Vishnubhotla RV, Mudigonda M, Pawale D, Narayanan S, Hariri S, Ram C, Chang T, Renschler J, Eckert G, Subramaniam B. Inner Engineering Practices and Advanced 4-day Isha Yoga Retreat Are Associated with Cannabimimetic Effects with Increased Endocannabinoids and Short-Term and Sustained Improvement in Mental Health: A Prospective Observational Study of Meditators. Evid Based Complement Alternat Med 2020:8438272, 2020. e-Pub 2020. PMID: 32595741.
- Tennison JM, Narayanan S (Co-1st Author), Cummings R, Bruera E. Multicomponent Compression Bandaging for Refractory Bilateral Lower Extremity Edema of Multifactorial Origin in Cancer Patients: A Retrospective Case Series. J Pain Symptom Manage 58(6):e5-e8, 2019. e-Pub 2019. PMID: 31494178.
- Lopez G, Lacey J, Christie AJ, Powers-James C, Narayanan S, Liu W, Cohen L. Patient-Reported Outcomes in Integrative Oncology: Bridging Clinical Care With Research. Cancer J 5(311-315):311-315, 2019. PMID: 31567457.
- Liu W, Qdaisat A, Soliman PT, Ramondetta L, Lopez G, Narayanan S, Zhou S, Cohen L, Bruera E, Yeung SJ. Hypomagnesemia and Survival in Patients with Ovarian Cancer Who Received Chemotherapy with Carboplatin. Oncologist 24(6):e312-e317, 2019. e-Pub 2019. PMID: 30940743.
- Narayanan S, Reddy A, Bruera E. Patient and Caregiver Consent for Publication of Unidentifiable Case Reports-A Barrier to Medical Education and Patient Care. JAMA Oncol 5(3):300-301, 2019. PMID: 30676619.
- Liu W, Qdaisat A, Lopez G, Narayanan S, Underwood S, Spano M, Reddy A, Guo Y, Zhou S, Yeung SC, Bruera E, Garcia MK, Cohen L. Acupuncture for Hot Flashes in Cancer Patients: Clinical Characteristics and Traditional Chinese Medicine Diagnosis as Predictors of Treatment Response. Integr Cancer Ther 18:1534735419848494, 2019. PMID: 31046489.
- Narayanan S, Mujtaba B, Koay JE, Elshikh M, Madewell JE, et al. Radiation Recall Masquerading as an Infectious Process. Int J Radiol Radiat Oncol, 2017.
- Laird-Fick H, Tiwari A, Narayanan S, Qin Y, Vodnala D, Bhutani M. A case of comorbid myxoma and chronic lymphocytic leukemia: not just a coincidence?. Case Rep Oncol Med 2014:142746, 2014. e-Pub 2014. PMID: 24868472.
- Cohen L, Narayanan S. Yoga in Oncologic Care: An Evidence-Based Treatment to Improve Outcomes. The ASCO Post. e-Pub 2021.
- Santhosshi Narayanan, MD, Roshirl Francisco, BA, Gabriel Lopez, MD, M. Alejandro Chaoul, PhD, Sreenath Meegada, MD, MPH, Wenli Liu, MD , Smitha Mallaiah, MS, C-IAYT, Kathrin Milbury, PhD, Lorenzo Cohen, PhD. Role of Yoga across the Cancer Care Continuum: From Diagnosis through Survivorship. Journal of Clincial Outcomes Investigation, 2019.
- Narayanan S, Escalante CP. Clinical Assessment of Cancer-Related Fatigue. Journal of Clinical Outcomes Investigation, 2017.
Manuals, Teaching Aids, Other Teaching Publications
- Narayanan S. SPARK ONE self assessment questions, Hematology and Oncology. Society of Hospital Medicine, 2019.
- Narayanan S, Escalante CP. Clinical Assessment and Management of Cancer-Related Fatigue. Hospital Physician Hematology-Oncology Board Review Manual, 2017.
- Narayanan S, Escalante CP. Board review questions, Cancer related fatigue, 2017.
- Narayanan S, Kolstoe J. Rheumatoid arthritis. Just in time medicine, 2011.
- Narayanan S Can Mushrooms help during Cancer Treatment?. CancerWise, 2021.
- Narayanan S, Escalante CP Are You Tired and fatigued due to Cancer?. Coping with cancer Magazine Volume 31(6):8, 9, 2017.
- Narayanan S, Overton J. Onco-hospitalist newsletter, 2017.
- Narayanan S,Overton J,Wilson M. Onco-hospitalist newsletter, 2016.
- Narayanan S. Sleep Disturbance in Cancer Patients Referred to an Ambulatory Integrative Oncology Consultation. 18th International Society for Integrative Oncology Conference, 2021.
- Narayanan S. Randomized Feasibility study of meditative practices in hospitalized cancer patients. Society of Integrative Oncology, 2019.
- Nadine Abrahim,Uzaima Rizwan, PA-C, Albert Guerrero, MSN, RN, FNP-C,Emmanuel Coronel, MD, Santhosshi Narayanan, MD FACP. Acute Cholangitis in Cancer Patients:Are antibiotics alone sufficient?. Best Poster Presentation at the 5th Annual Medical Research Colloquium at the Texas A&M Health Science Center on the Round Rock Campus, 2018.
- Francisco R, Joby R, Narayanan S. Challenging case of ill-fated abdominal pain in the young adult-a rare differential diagnosis. Regional American College of Physicians, TX, 2017.
- Narayanan S, Abrahim N, Bounds R, Lu M, Kim S. Immunotherapy induced Arthritis-A new differential diagnosis to consider for joint pain. Global Academic Programs (GAP) conference, 2017.
- Nguyen S, Huh A, DaVee R, Narayanan S. A rare cause of bowel obstruction with jaundice – afferent loop syndrome. Regional American College of Physicians conference, TX, 2016.
- Timme D, Kim M, Narayanan S. Hepatitis in the era of immunotherapy- early recognition of steroids saves the liver. Regional American College of Physicians conference, TX, 2016.
- Abrahim N, Bounds R, Narayanan S, Lu M, Kim S. Immunotherapy induced Arthritis-A new differential diagnosis to consider for joint pain. Regional American College of Physicians conference, Texas, 2016.
- Mehul Shah; Santhosshi Narayanan, Shane Skarda, Muhammad Chaudhry, Emmanuel Elueze. Acquired von Willebrand's syndrome in severe aortic stenosis. Regional American College of Physicians conference, Texas, 2014.
- Narayanan S, Vodnala D, Grace K Ferenchick G. Bupropion associated Serotonin Syndrome. American College of Physicians Regional Conference, Toronto, Canada, 2010.
- Narayanan S; Lazaryan A, Reu F, Silver B. Eyes cannot see what the mind does not know-A rare case of Non-Secretory Multiple Myeloma. Regional American College of Physicians conference, Michigan, 2010.
- Narayanan S; Gaurav K; Chandana S; Schwartz K; Al-Janadi A. Scrotal Pain: Complaints with many masqueraders. Vigilance is the key. Regional American College of Physicians conference, Michigan, 2010.
- Vodnala D, Narayanan S, Bhutani M, Laird-Fick H. A Unique presentation of atypical CLL co existing with cardiac myxoma. American College of Physicians Annual Conference, Toronto, Canada, 2010.
- Narayanan S; Lazaryan A, Reu F, Silver B. A rare case of Non-Secretory Multiple Myeloma with negative immunoelectrophoresis. Lansing Research Day, Michigan, 2009.
- Narayanan S; Gaurav K; Chandana S; Schwartz K; Al-Janadi A. An interesting case of Acute Lymphocytic Leukemia presenting as Epididymitis. Lansing Research Day, Michigan, 2009.
- Lopez G, Liu W, Narayanan S, Cohen L. Integrative Oncology in Cancer Care. In: Cancer Medicine. 10th Edition. Holland-Frei, 2023.
- Liu W, Narayanan S, Lorenzo Cohen, Gabriel Lopez. Integrative Oncology in cancer care. In: Pancreatic Adenocarcinoma: A Multidisciplinary Approach & Emerging Paradigms. Springer Nature, 2022.
- Narayanan S, Lopez G, Mao J, Liu W, Cohen L.. Integrative Oncology. In: Psycho-Oncology. 4th Edition. Oxford University, 470-478, 2021.
- Narayanan S, Liu W, Lopez G.. Complementary and Integrative Therapies in Patients with CNS Metastasis. In: Management of CNS Metastasis. Weill Cornell Medicine.
- Lopez, G, Narayanan S, Liu, W, Cohen L. Integrative Medicine in Supportive and Palliative care. In: Palliative Medicine and Supportive Care. 3rd Edition. CRC Press.