Assistant Professor, Department of Health Disparities Research, Division of OVP, Cancer Prevention and Population Sciences, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
|2013||The University of Texas School of Public Health, Houston, TX, USA, DrPH, Community Health Practice and Biostatistics|
|2009||The University of Texas School of Public Health, Houston, TX, USA, MPH, Community Health Practice|
|2005||University of Houston, Houston, TX, USA, BS, Biology|
|2013-2015||Postdoctoral Fellowship, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX|
Assistant Professor (courtesy appointment), Department of Public Health Sciences, College of Medicine, The Pennsylvania State University, Hershey, PA, 2016 - 2020
Assistant Professor, Department of Kinesiology, College of Health and Human Development, The Pennsylvania State University, University Park, PA, 2015 - 2020
|2020||Scholar (Competitively Selected), Mixed Methods Research Training Program for the Health Sciences|
|2019||Top Cancer Health Disparities Abstract Award, Cancer Health Disparities SIG, American Society of Preventive Oncology|
|2019||Ann C. Crouter Early Career Faculty Award, College of Health and Human Development, The Pennsylvania State University|
|2019||Scholar (Competitively Selected), MGH Workshop on Research Methods in Supportive Oncology|
|2018||Early Career Cancer Health Disparities Researcher Travel Scholarship Award, Cancer Disparities Research Network|
|2018||Fellow (Competitively Selected), Transdisciplinary Research on Energetics and Cancer (TREC) Training Workshop, National Cancer Institute and Yale Cancer Center|
|2017||Trainee (Competitively Selected), NIH Training in Dissemination and Implementation Research in Health (TIDIRH) Program, National Cancer Institute|
|2016||Ethnic Minority and Multicultural Health (EMMH) SIG Student Award, Society of Behavioral Medicine|
|2016||Scholar (Competitively Selected), Early Career Women Faculty Professional Development Seminar, Association of American Medical Colleges|
|2016||Scholar (Competitively Selected), Physical Activity and Public Health (PAPH) Research Course, The University of South Carolina Prevention Research Center and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention|
|2015||Distinguished Student Award-Excellence in Research, Society of Behavioral Medicine|
|2015||Duncan Family Institute Mentored Junior Faculty Fellowship in Cancer Prevention Research (Awarded & Declined), The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center|
|2014||Health Disparities Loan Repayment Program, National Institute on Minority Health and Health Disparities, National Institutes of Health|
|2014||AACR Scholar-in-Training Award,, Conference on the Science of Cancer Health Disparities in Ethnic Minorities and the Medically Underserved, American Association for Cancer Research|
|2014||Early Career Cancer Health Disparities Researcher Scholarship, Geographical Management of Cancer Health Disparities Program (GMaP) Region 4|
|2012||Doctoral Dissertation Research Award, The University of Texas School of Public Health|
|2012||Citation Abstract, 2012 Society of Behavioral Medicine's 33rd Annual Meeting and Scientific Sessions|
|2011||Staff Excellence Award-Effective Leader, University of Houston|
- Bhuiyan N, Linden-Carmichael AN, Lanza ST, Schmitz KH, Mama SK. Age-varying associations between physical activity and psychological outcomes among rural cancer survivors. J Behav Med 44(4):484-491, 2021. e-Pub 2020. PMID: 33047213.
- Arem H, Duan X, Ehlers DK, Lyon ME, Rowland JH, Mama SK. Provider Discussion about Lifestyle by Cancer History: A Nationally Representative Survey. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 30(2):278-285, 2021. e-Pub 2020. PMID: 33268489.
- Mama SK, Bhuiyan N, Foo W, Segel JE, Bluethmann SM, Winkels RM, Wiskemann J, Calo WA, Lengerich EJ, Schmitz KH. Rural-urban differences in meeting physical activity recommendations and health status in cancer survivors in central Pennsylvania. Support Care Cancer 28(10):5013-5022, 2020. e-Pub 2020. PMID: 32036469.
- Mama SK, Bhuiyan N, Chaoul A, Cohen L, Fagundes CP, Hoover DS, Strong LL, Li Y, Nguyen NT, McNeill LH. Feasibility and acceptability of a faith-based mind-body intervention among African American adults. Transl Behav Med 10(4):928-937, 2020. PMID: 30476343.
- Mama SK, Bhuiyan N, Smyth JM, Schmitz KH. Stress and Physical Activity in Rural Cancer Survivors: The Moderating Role of Social Support. J Rural Health 36(4):543-548, 2020. e-Pub 2020. PMID: 32472721.
- Burse NR, Bhuiyan N, Mama SK, Schmitz KH. Physical activity barriers and resources among black women with a history of breast and endometrial cancer: a systematic review. J Cancer Surviv 14(4):556-577, 2020. e-Pub 2020. PMID: 32240461.
- Mama SK, Bhuiyan N, Bopp MJ, McNeill LH, Lengerich EJ, Smyth JM. A faith-based mind-body intervention to improve psychosocial well-being among rural adults. Transl Behav Med 10(3):546-554, 2020. PMID: 32766867.
- Mama SK. Commentary: The Social Environment and Mental Health in African American Adults. Am J Geriatr Psychiatry 28(6):606-608, 2020. e-Pub 2020. PMID: 32146141.
- Arem H, Mama SK, Duan X, Rowland JH, Bellizzi KM, Ehlers DK. Prevalence of Healthy Behaviors among Cancer Survivors in the United States: How Far Have We Come?. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 29(6):1179-1187, 2020. e-Pub 2020. PMID: 32409489.
- Bhuiyan N, Singh P, Harden SM, Mama SK. Rural physical activity interventions in the United States: a systematic review and RE-AIM evaluation. Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act 16(1):140, 2019. e-Pub 2019. PMID: 31882013.
- Mama SK, Bhuiyan N, Lee RE, Basen-Engquist K, Wetter DW, Thompson D, McNeill LH. Comparing Multiple Measures of Physical Activity in African-American Adults. Am J Health Behav 43(5):877-886, 2019. PMID: 31439095.
- Leach HJ, Mama SK, Harden SM. Group-based exercise interventions for increasing physical activity in cancer survivors: a systematic review of face-to-face randomized and non-randomized trials. Support Care Cancer 27(5):1601-1612, 2019. e-Pub 2019. PMID: 30739169.
- Mama SK, McNeill LH, Soltero EG, Orlando Edwards R, Lee RE. Contribution of Psychosocial Factors to Physical Activity in Women of Color in the Saving Lives Staying Active (SALSA) Study. J Aging Phys Act 25(3):351-359, 2017. e-Pub 2017. PMID: 27834574.
- Mama SK, Song J, Ortiz A, Tirado-Gomez M, Palacios C, Hughes DC, Basen-Engquist K. Longitudinal social cognitive influences on physical activity and sedentary time in Hispanic breast cancer survivors. Psychooncology 26(2):214-221, 2017. e-Pub 2015. PMID: 26602701.
- Mama SK, Leach HJ, Soltero EG, Lee RE. Improved Physical Activity Screening Enhances Intervention Effectiveness in Ethnic Minority Women: A Longitudinal Study. Health Promot Pract 18(1):54-61, 2017. e-Pub 2016. PMID: 27357202.
- Mama SK, Li Y, Basen-Engquist K, Lee RE, Thompson D, Wetter DW, Nguyen NT, Reitzel LR, McNeill LH. Psychosocial Mechanisms Linking the Social Environment to Mental Health in African Americans. PLoS One 11(4):e0154035, 2016. e-Pub 2016. PMID: 27119366.
- Mama SK, McCurdy SA, Evans AE, Thompson DI, Diamond PM, Lee RE. Using community insight to understand physical activity adoption in overweight and obese African American and Hispanic women: a qualitative study. Health Educ Behav 42(3):321-8, 2015. e-Pub 2014. PMID: 25504569.
- Mama SK, McNeill LH, McCurdy SA, Evans AE, Diamond PM, Adamus-Leach HJ, Lee RE. Psychosocial factors and theory in physical activity studies in minorities. Am J Health Behav 39(1):68-76, 2015. PMID: 25290599.
- Mama SK, Diamond PM, McCurdy SA, Evans AE, McNeill LH, Lee RE. Individual, social and environmental correlates of physical activity in overweight and obese African American and Hispanic women: A structural equation model analysis. Prev Med Rep 2:57-64, 2015. PMID: 25692093.
- Mama SK, Soltero EG, Ledoux TA, Gallagher MR, Lee RE. Solving the obesity epidemic: voices from the community. Nurs Inq 21(3):192-201, 2014. e-Pub 2013. PMID: 24372868.
- Mama SK, Quill BE, Fernandez-Esquer ME, Reese-Smith JY, Banda JA, Lee RE. Body image and physical activity among Latina and African American women. Ethn Dis 21(3):281-7, 2011. PMID: 21942159.
|Title:||Adaptation and implementation of a community-based intervention to reduce psychosocial distress and promote physical activity in rural breast cancer survivors|
|Title:||Feasibility of an adapted multicomponent physical activity intervention to reduce psychosocial distress in rural adults following cancer diagnosis|
|Funding Source:||American Institute for Cancer Research (AICR)|
|Title:||Social support, psychosocial factors, physical activity and obesity among African Americans|
|Title:||Predicting PA adoption among minority women using SEM and participatory research|
|Title:||UT System Rising STARs Award|
|Funding Source:||The University of Texas System|
|Title:||CCSG New Faculty Award|
|Funding Source:||MD Anderson|