About Dr. Choi
Dr. Choi is an Associate Professor in the Department of Clinical Radiation Oncology specializing in Genitourinary cancers. He treats patients with both x-rays and protons. His research interests include the use of imaging for better identification and localization of cancers for radiation therapy and the use of proton therapy for GU malignancies.
He graduated from MIT with a bachelor's degree in nuclear engineering. He received his M.D. from Cornell University Medical College. His medical training consists of internship in Internal Medicine at UCLA, residency at University of Washington Medical Center, and fellowship in IMRT at MD Anderson Cancer Center.
Associate Professor, Department of Radiation Oncology, Division of Radiation Oncology, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
|2000||Cornell University Medical College, New York, NY, USA, MD, Medicine|
|1996||Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, MA, USA, BS, Nuclear Engineering|
|2005-2006||Clinical Fellowship, Intensity Modulated Radiation Therapy, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX|
|2001-2005||Clinical Residency, Radiation Oncology, University of Washington Medical Center, Seattle, WA|
|2000-2001||Clinical Internship, Internal Medicine, UCLA Medical Center, Los Angeles, CA|
|2006||American Board of Radiology|
Assistant Professor, Department of Radiation Oncology, Division of Radiation Oncology, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2006 - 2013
Clinical Medical Director, Department of Radiation Oncology, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2012 - 2015
Adjunct Member, The University of Texas Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences, Houston, TX, 2007 - 2008
|2014||Luis Delclos Excellence in Teaching Award for Resident Teaching, MD Anderson Radiation Oncology Department|
|1999||Alpha Omega Alpha, Alpha Omega Alpha Society|
|1999||Glickman Fellowship in Gynecological Oncology, New York Hospital, New York, NY|
|1996||Roy Axford Award for Outstanding Senior, Nuclear Engineering Department, Massachusetts Institute of Technology|
|1995||Irving Kaplan Award for Outstanding Junior, Nuclear Engineering Department, Massachusetts Institute of Technology|
|1995||Finalist in the American Nuclear Society Design Project Contest, American Nuclear Society|
|1995||National Nuclear Engineering Honors Society, Alpha Nu Sigma|
|1995||National Engineering Honors Society, Tau Beta Pi|
|1994||Park A. and Ann L. Hodges Prize for Scientific Writing, Massachusetts Institute of Technology|
- Frank SJ, Pugh TJ, Blanchard P, Mahmood U, Graber WJ, Kudchadker RJ, Davis JW, Kim J, Choi H, Troncoso P, Kuban DA, Choi S, McGuire S, Hoffman KE, Chen HC, Wang X, Swanson DA. Prospective Phase 2 Trial of Permanent Seed Implantation Prostate Brachytherapy for Intermediate-Risk Localized Prostate Cancer: Efficacy, Toxicity, and Quality of Life Outcomes. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 100(2):374-382, 2018. e-Pub 2017. PMID: 29229325.
- Basourakos SP, Davis JW, Chapin BF, Ward JF, Pettaway CA, Pisters LL, Navai N, Achim MF, Wang X, Chen HC, Choi S, Kuban D, Troncoso P, Hanash S, Thompson TC, Kim J. Baseline and Longitudinal Plasma Caveolin-1 Level as a Biomarker in Active Surveillance for Early Stage Prostate Cancer. BJU Int 121(1):69-76, 2018. e-Pub 2017. PMID: 28710901.
- Holliday EB, Kuban DA, Levy LB, Bolukbasi Y, Master P, Choi S, Nguyen Q, McGuire SE, Mahmood U, Frank SJ, Hoffman KE. Select men benefit from androgen deprivation therapy delivered with salvage radiation therapy after prostatectomy. Prostate Cancer Prostatic Dis 20(4):389-394, 2017. e-Pub 2017. PMID: 28462945.
- Voong KR, Lal LS, Kuban DA, Pugh TJ, Swint JM, Godby J, Choi S, Lee AK, Schlembach PJ, Frank SJ, McGuire SE, Hoffman KE. Long-term economic value of hypofractionated prostate radiation: Secondary analysis of a randomized trial. Adv Radiat Oncol 2(3):249-258, 2017. e-Pub 2017. PMID: 29114589.
- Thaker NG, Pugh TJ, Mahmood U, Choi S, Spinks TE, Martin NE, Sio TT, Kudchadker RJ, Kaplan RS, Kuban DA, Swanson DA, Orio PF, Zelefsky MJ, Cox BW, Potters L, Buchholz TA, Feeley TW, Frank SJ. Defining the value framework for prostate brachytherapy using patient-centered outcome metrics and time-driven activity-based costing. Brachytherapy 15(3):274-82, 2016. e-Pub 2016. PMID: 26916105.
- Thaker NG, Sturdevant L, Jhingran A, Das P, Delclos ME, Gunn GB, McAleer MF, Tereffe W, Choi SL, Frank SJ, Simeone WJ, Martinez W, Hahn SM, Famiglietti R, Kuban DA. ReCAP: Assessing the Quality of a Radiation Oncology Case-based Peer-review Program in an Integrated Academic and Community Cancer Center Network. J Oncol Pract 12(4):e476-86, 2016. e-Pub 2016. PMID: 26931402.
- Haque W, Wages C, Zhu XR, Choi S, Pugh TJ, Frank SJ, Lee A, Mahmood U. Proton therapy for seminoma: Case report describing the technique, efficacy, and advantages of proton-based therapy for seminoma. Pract Radiat Oncol 5(2):135-40, 2015. e-Pub 2014. PMID: 25413401.
- Madsen LT, Kuban DA, Choi S, Davis JW, Kim J, Lee AK, Domain D, Levy L, Pisters LL, Pettaway CA, Ward JF, Logothetis C, Hoffman KE. Impact of a clinical trial initiative on clinical trial enrollment in a multidisciplinary prostate cancer clinic. J Natl Compr Canc Netw 12(7):993-8, 2014. PMID: 24994920.
- Hoffman KE, Voong KR, Pugh TJ, Skinner H, Levy LB, Takiar V, Choi S, Du W, Frank SJ, Johnson J, Kanke J, Kudchadker RJ, Lee AK, Mahmood U, McGuire SE, Kuban DA. Risk of late toxicity in men receiving dose-escalated hypofractionated intensity modulated prostate radiation therapy: results from a randomized trial. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 88(5):1074-84, 2014. PMID: 24661661.
- Zhu XR, Poenisch F, Li H, Zhang X, Sahoo N, Wu RY, Li X, Lee AK, Chang EL, Choi S, Pugh T, Frank SJ, Gillin MT, Mahajan A, Grosshans DR. A single-field integrated boost treatment planning technique for spot scanning proton therapy. Radiat Oncol 9:202, 2014. e-Pub 2014. PMID: 25212571.
- Cerne JZ, McGuire SE, Grant SR, Munsell MF, Lee AK, Kudchadker RJ, Choi SL, Mahmood U, Hoffman KE, Pugh TJ, Frank SJ, Kuban DA. Factors associated with improved biochemical response to neoadjuvant androgen deprivation therapy before definitive radiation therapy in prostate cancer patients. Prostate Cancer Prostatic Dis 16(4):346-51, 2013. e-Pub 2013. PMID: 23939133.
- Pugh TJ, Munsell MF, Choi S, Nguyen QN, Mathai B, Zhu XR, Sahoo N, Gillin M, Johnson JL, Amos RA, Dong L, Mahmood U, Kuban DA, Frank SJ, Hoffman KE, McGuire SE, Lee AK. Quality of life and toxicity from passively scattered and spot-scanning proton beam therapy for localized prostate cancer. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 87(5):946-53, 2013. e-Pub 2013. PMID: 24139077.
- Nguyen QN, Levy LB, Lee AK, Choi SS, Frank SJ, Pugh TJ, McGuire S, Hoffman K, Kuban DA. Long-term outcomes for men with high-risk prostate cancer treated definitively with external beam radiotherapy with or without androgen deprivation. Cancer 119(18):3265-71, 2013. e-Pub 2013. PMID: 23798338.
- Bian SX, Kuban DA, Levy LB, Oh J, Castle KO, Pugh TJ, Choi S, McGuire SE, Nguyen QN, Frank SJ, Nguyen PL, Lee AK, Hoffman KE. Addition of short-term androgen deprivation therapy to dose-escalated radiation therapy improves failure-free survival for select men with intermediate-risk prostate cancer. Ann Oncol 23(9):2346-52, 2012. e-Pub 2012. PMID: 22357249.
- Vassiliev ON, Kudchadker RJ, Kuban DA, Frank SJ, Choi S, Nguyen Q, Lee AK. Dosimetric impact of fiducial markers in patients undergoing photon beam radiation therapy. Phys Med 28(3):240-4, 2012. e-Pub 2011. PMID: 21875820.
- Kim MM, Hoffman KE, Levy LB, Frank SJ, Pugh TJ, Choi S, Nguyen QN, McGuire SE, Lee AK, Kuban DA. Prostate cancer-specific mortality after definitive radiation therapy: Who dies of disease?. Eur J Cancer 48(11):1664-71, 2012. e-Pub 2012. PMID: 22336663.
- Kim MM, Hoffman KE, Levy LB, Frank SJ, Pugh TJ, Choi S, Nguyen QN, McGuire SE, Lee AK, Kuban DA. Improvement in prostate cancer survival over time: a 20-year analysis. Cancer J 18(1):1-8, 2012. PMID: 22290249.
- Iyengar P, Levy LB, Choi S, Lee AK, Kuban DA. Toxicity associated with postoperative radiation therapy for prostate cancer. Am J Clin Oncol 34(6):611-8, 2011. PMID: 21150565.
- Zhu XR, Poenisch F, Song X, Johnson JL, Ciangaru G, Taylor MB, Lii M, Martin C, Arjomandy B, Lee AK, Choi S, Nguyen QN, Gillin MT, Sahoo N. Patient-specific quality assurance for prostate cancer patients receiving spot scanning proton therapy using single-field uniform dose. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 81(2):552-9, 2011. e-Pub 2011. PMID: 21300457.
- Meyer J, Bluett J, Amos R, Levy L, Choi S, Nguyen QN, Zhu XR, Gillin M, Lee A. Spot scanning proton beam therapy for prostate cancer: treatment planning technique and analysis of consequences of rotational and translational alignment errors. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 78(2):428-34, 2010. e-Pub 2010. PMID: 20100641.
- Frank SJ, Kudchadker RJ, Kuban DA, De Crevoisier R, Lee AK, Cheung RM, Choi S, Tucker SL, Dong L. A volumetric trend analysis of the prostate and seminal vesicles during a course of intensity-modulated radiation therapy. Am J Clin Oncol 33(2):173-5, 2010. PMID: 20010077.
- Zhu XR, Sahoo N, Zhang X, Robertson D, Li H, Choi S, Lee AK, Gillin MT.. Intensity modulated proton therapy treatment planning using single-field optimization: The impact of monitor unit constraints on plan quality. Med. Phys 3(37):1210-1219, 2010.
- Sejpal SV, Amos RA, Bluett JB, Levy LB, Kudchadker RJ, Johnson J, Choi S, Lee AK. Dosimetric Changes Resulting From Patient Rotational Setup Errors in Proton Therapy Prostate Plans. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 75(1):40-8, 2009. e-Pub 2008. PMID: 19058919.
- Frank SJ, Kuban DA, Lee AK, Kudchadker RJ, Dong L, Cheung MR, Choi S, O'Daniel JC. Quanitfication of the prostate and seminal vesicles interfraction variation during IMRT treatment. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 3(71):813-20, 2008. e-Pub 2008.
- Choi S, Schwartz DL, Farwell DG, Austin-Seymour M, Futran N. Radiation therapy does not impact local complication rates after free flap reconstruction for head and neck cancer. Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 130(11):1308-12, 2004. PMID: 15545587.
- Choi S, Wallner K, Merrick G, Cavanaugh W, Butler W. Treatment Margins Predict Biochemical Outcomes After Prostate Brachytherapy. The Cancer Journal 10:175-180, 2004.
- Kuban DA, Levy LB, Cheung MR, Lee AK, Choi S, Frank S, Pollack A. Long-term Failure Patterns and Survival in a Randomized Dose-Escalation Trial for Prostate Cancer. Who Dies of Disease?. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. e-Pub 2010. PMID: 20493642.
- Hoffman KE, Skinner H, Pugh TJ, Voong KR, Levy LB, Choi S, Frank SJ, Lee AK, Mahmood U, McGuire SE, Schlembach PJ, Du W, Johnson J, Kudchadker RJ, Kuban DA. Patient-reported Urinary, Bowel, and Sexual Function After Hypofractionated Intensity-modulated Radiation Therapy for Prostate Cancer: Results From a Randomized Trial. Am J Clin Oncol. e-Pub 2016. PMID: 27635624.
- Bilen MA, Hess KR, Campbell MT, Wang J, Broaddus RR, Karam JA, Ward JF, Wood CG, Choi SL, Rao P, Zhang M, Naing A, General R, Cauley DH, Lin SH, Logothetis CJ, Pisters LL, Tu SM. Intratumoral heterogeneity and chemoresistance in nonseminomatous germ cell tumor of the testis. Oncotarget. e-Pub 2016. PMID: 27861143.
- Gunther JR, Liauw SL, Choi S, Mohamed AS, Thaker NG, Fuller CD, Stepaniak CJ, Das P, Golden DW. A Prostate Fossa Contouring Instructional Module: Implementation and Evaluation. J Am Coll Radiol. e-Pub 2016. PMID: 27210232.
- Davis JW, Ward JF, Pettaway CA, Wang X, Kuban D, Frank SJ, Lee AK, Pisters LL, Matin SF, Shah JB, Karam JA, Chapin BF, Papadopoulos JN, Achim M, Hoffman KE, Pugh TJ, Choi S, Troncoso P, Logothetis CJ, Kim J. Disease reclassification risk with stringent criteria and frequent monitoring in men with favourable-risk prostate cancer undergoing active surveillance. BJU Int. e-Pub 2015. PMID: 26059275.
- Bian SX, Kuban DA, Levy LB, Oh J, Choi S, McGuire SE, Frank SJ, Mahmood U, Nguyen PL, Pugh TJ, Lee AK, Hoffman KE. The Influence of Age and Comorbidity on the Benefit of Adding Androgen Deprivation to Dose-escalated Radiation in Men With Intermediate-risk Prostate Cancer. Am J Clin Oncol. e-Pub 2014. PMID: 24732810.
- Piyaporn B, Choi S, Frank SJ, Ma J, Elsayes KM, Kaur H, Choi H.. MRI of the Prostate Cancer in Radiation Oncology: What Radiologists Need to Know. Radiographics.
- Castle KO, Hoffman KE, Levy LB, Lee AK, Choi S, Nguyen QN, Frank SJ, Pugh TJ, McGuire SE, Kuban DA. Is Androgen Deprivation Therapy Necessary in All Intermediate-Risk Prostate Cancer Patients Treated in the Dose Escalation Era?. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. e-Pub 2012. PMID: 22836052.
- Choi S. The role of magnetic resonance imaging in the detection of prostate cancer. J Urol 186(4):1181-2, 2011. e-Pub 2011. PMID: 21849178.
- Choi S, Lee AK. Efficacy and Safety of Gonadotropin-Releasing Hormone Agonists Used in the Treatment of Prostate Cancer. Drug Healthc Patient Saf 3(3):107-119, 2011. e-Pub 2011. PMID: 22279415.
- Choi S, Nguyen QN, Pugh TJ, Frank SJ, Hoffman KE, McGuire SE, Mahmood U, Kuban DA, Lee AK. Proton Therapy for Prostate Cancer Does Not Affect Testosterone Level after Treatment. Accepted for presentation at ASTRO 2013, 2013.
- Choi, S, Umfleet WE, Palmer MB, Nguyen QN, Pugh TJ, McGuire SE, Kuban DA, Lee AK.. Comparison of Scanning Beam Proton Therapy (SBPT) to Intensity Modulated X-ray Therapy (IMRT) for Salvage Treatment of Prostate Cancer Patients with a Rising PSA. Accepted for presentation at ASTRO 2012, 2012.
- Choi S, Amin M, Palmer M, Zhu XR, Nguyen QN, Pugh TJ, Kuban DA, Lee AK. Comparison of Intensity Modulated Proton Therapy (IMPT) to Passively Scattered Proton Therapy (PSPT) in the Treatment of Prostate Cancer. Int J Rad Oncol Biol Phys 81(2):S154-155, 2011.
- Choi S, Johnson JL, de Crevoisier R, Dong L, Frank SJ, Lee AK, Cheung RM, Nguyen QN, Kuban DA.. Comparison of Alignment using Transabdominal Ultrasound versus Computed Tomography for Prostate Cancer Patients treated with Intensity Modulated Radiation Therapy and Androgen Deprivation Therapy. Oncology 24(4):S3, 2010.
- Choi S, Johnson JL, de Crevoiser R, Dong L, O'Daniel J, Frank SJ, Lee AK, Cheung RM, Kuban DA.. Quantification of the Volume Change and Interfractional Motion of the Prostate Undergoing Concurrent Androgen Deprivation Therapy and Intensity Modulated Radiation Therapy. Int J Rad Oncol Biol Phys 75(3):S597, 2009.
- Choi S, Frank SJ, Cheung RM, Lee AK, Kuban DA,. Outcome after External Beam Radiation Therapy for Prostate Cancer Patients under 60 Years of Age. Int J Rad Onc 72(1):S296, 2008.
- Kuban DA, Levy LB, Hamblin L, Lee AK, Cheung MR, Choi S, Frank SJ, O'Daniel J, Munsell MF. Preliminary Report of a Phase III Randomized Hypofractionation Study for Prostate Cancer. American Society for Therapeutic Radiology and Oncology, 2007.
- Lee AK, Kudchadker RJ, Amos RA, Johnson JL, Choi SL, Kuban DA, Cox JD, Mohan R, Gillin M, Dong L. Proton Therapy vs. IMRT for prostate cancer: a dosimetric comparison. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 69(3):S342, 2007.
- Nguyen Q, Choi S, Lee AK. Proton Therapy for the Treatment of Prostate Cancer. In: Prostate Cancer, 2011.
- Choi S, Eifel PJ. Cervical Cancer. In: Handbook of Radiation Oncology: Basic Principles and Clinical Protocols. Jones and Bartlett Publishers: Boston, MA, 2009.
- Choi S, Buchholz TA. Integration of Radiation Therapy and Systemic Therapy for Breast Cancer. In: Medical Radiology: Multimodel Concepts for Integration of Cytotoxic Drugs and Radiation Therapy. Springer-Verlag: New York, NY, 2006.