Meet Shannon Westin, M.D.
About Dr. Westin
I am a clinical investigator with a focus on developmental therapeutics and the use of biomarkers to predict response and recurrence in gynecologic malignancies. My background in public health, with a focus on clinical investigation and epidemiology, has provided me with a clear understanding of the study design and validation techniques which are essential to the study of these topics. I currently serve as the Director of Early Drug Development and Phase I trials in our Department and I am the principal investigator of multiple novel treatment trials for gynecologic cancers. In this position, I am the PI for a multi-arm Phase Ib trial combining PARP inhibition with agents that target the PI3K pathway in endometrial and ovarian cancer. This trial includes pre and post-treatment biopsies to identify markers of response and resistance. Further, I developed the first window of opportunity study of BMN-678, a PARP inhibitor, in untreated advanced ovarian cancer. In addition, I am a project co-PI for our SPORE in uterine cancer. As such, I served as the PI for a national GOG/CTEP trial (GOG229O) to determine the association of molecular aberrations in the PI3K/AKT and RAS/RAF/MEK pathways with clinical activity of targeted agents in the treatment of endometrial cancer.
My success as a clinical investigator has led to my being invited to lecture as an expert on targeted therapy in gynecologic malignancies and survivorship in local, national, and international venues. This includes speaking at an NRG Oncology Educational Symposium and serving as a poster discussant at the 2014 ASCO Annual Meeting on the topic of targeted therapy in endometrial and ovarian cancer. I have authored 8 textbook chapters on these topics as well. My national reputation as a clinical trialist has been recognized by my appointment to 2 NRG Oncology-GOG committees, Developmental Therapeutics and Phase I as well as to the Uterine Task Force of the NCI Gynecologic Cancer Steering Committee. I am a recent graduate of the ASCO Leadership Development Program and serve on two ASCO committees.
Associate Professor, Department of Gynecologic Oncology and Reproductive Medicine, Division of Surgery, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
Physician, Department of Gynecologic Oncology and Reproductive Medicine, Division of Surgery, Lyndon Baines Johnson Hospital, Houston, TX
|2002||University of Florida College of Medicine, Gainesville, FL, USA, MD, Medicine|
|1998||University of Miami, Coral Gables, FL, USA, BS, Psychobiology|
|2010-2010||Fellowship, Investigational Cancer Therapeutics, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX|
|2006-2010||Fellowship, Gynecologic Oncology, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX|
|2002-2006||Clinical Residency, Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of North Carolina School of Medicine, Chapel Hill, NC|
|2012||American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Diplomate, Obstetrics and Gynecology|
Assistant Professor, Department of Gynecologic Oncology and Reproductive Medicine, Division of Surgery, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2010 - 2015
Director, Early Drug Development, Department of Gynecologic Oncology and Reproductive Medicine, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2016 - Present
Medical Director, Mid-level Program, Department of Gynecologic Oncology and Reproductive Medicine, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2013 - Present
- Westin SN, Sun CC, Tung CS, Lacour RA, Meyer LA, Urbauer DL, Frumovitz MM, Lu KH, Bodurka DC. Survivors of gynecologic malignancies: Impact of treatment on health and well-being. J Cancer Surviv 10(2):261-70, 2016. e-Pub 2015. PMID: 26245979.
- Westin SN, Randall L. The European Society of Gynecologic Oncology (ESGO) 19th biannual meeting: Overview and summary of selected topics. Gynecol Oncol 140(3):377-80, 2016. e-Pub 2016. PMID: 26807487.
- Westin SN, Ju Z, Broaddus RR, Krakstad C, Li J, Pal N, Lu KH, Coleman RL, Hennessy BT, Klempner SJ, Werner HM, Salvesen HB, Cantley LC, Mills GB, Myers AP. PTEN loss is a context-dependent outcome determinant in obese and non-obese endometrioid endometrial cancer patients. Mol Oncol 9(8):1694-703, 2015. e-Pub 2015. PMID: 26045339.
- Brana I, Berger R, Golan T, Haluska P, Edenfield J, Fiorica J, Stephenson J, Martin LP, Westin SN, Hanjani P, Jones MB, Almhanna K, Wenham RM, Sullivan DM, Dalton WS, Gunchenko A, Cheng JD, Siu LL, Gray JE. A parallel-arm phase I trial of the humanised anti-IGF-1R antibody dalotuzumab in combination with the AKT inhibitor MK-2206, the mTOR inhibitor ridaforolimus, or the NOTCH inhibitor MK-0752, in patients with advanced solid tumours. Br J Cancer 111(10):1932-44, 2014. e-Pub 2014. PMID: 25290091.
- Westin SN, Rallapalli V, Fellman B, Urbauer DL, Pal N, Frumovitz MM, Ramondetta LM, Bodurka DC, Ramirez PT, Soliman PT. Overall survival after pelvic exenteration for gynecologic malignancy. Gynecol Oncol 134(3):546-51, 2014. e-Pub 2014. PMID: 25014540.
- Meyer LA, Slomovitz BM, Djordjevic B, Westin SN, Iglesias DA, Munsell MF, Jiang Y, Schmandt R, Broaddus RR, Coleman RL, Galbincea JM, Lu KH. The search continues: looking for predictive biomarkers for response to Mammalian target of rapamycin inhibition in endometrial cancer. Int J Gynecol Cancer 24(4):713-7, 2014. PMID: 24651628.
- Subbiah V, Westin SN, Wang K, Araujo D, Wang WL, Miller VA, Ross JS, Stephens PJ, Palmer GA, Ali SM. Targeted therapy by combined inhibition of the RAF and mTOR kinases in malignant spindle cell neoplasm harboring the KIAA1549-BRAF fusion protein. J Hematol Oncol 7(1):8, 2014. e-Pub 2014. PMID: 24422672.
- Westin SN, Herzog TJ, Coleman RL. Investigational agents in development for the treatment of ovarian cancer. Invest New Drugs 31(1):213-29, 2013. e-Pub 2012. PMID: 22661305.
- Iglesias DA, Westin SN, Rallapalli V, Huang M, Fellman B, Urbauer D, Frumovitz M, Ramirez PT, Soliman PT. The effect of body mass index on surgical outcomes and survival following pelvic exenteration. Gynecol Oncol 125(2):336-42, 2012. e-Pub 2012. PMID: 22261299.
- Berger JL, Westin SN, Fellman B, Rallapali V, Frumovitz M, Ramirez PT, Sood AK, Soliman PT. Modified vertical rectus abdominis myocutaneous flap vaginal reconstruction: an analysis of surgical outcomes. Gynecol Oncol 125(1):252-5, 2012. e-Pub 2011. PMID: 22166844.
- Janku F, Wheler JJ, Westin SN, Moulder SL, Naing A, Tsimberidou AM, Fu S, Falchook GS, Hong DS, Garrido-Laguna I, Luthra R, Lee JJ, Lu KH, Kurzrock R. PI3K/AKT/mTOR Inhibitors in Patients With Breast and Gynecologic Malignancies Harboring PIK3CA Mutations. J Clin Oncol 30(8):777-82, 2012. e-Pub 2012. PMID: 22271473.
- Covert WM, Westin SN, Soliman PT, Langley GD. The role of mucoregulatory agents after continence-preserving urinary diversion surgery. Am J Health Syst Pharm 69(6):483-6, 2012. PMID: 22382478.
- Brown AJ, Westin SN, Broaddus RR, Schmeler K. Progestin intrauterine device in an adolescent with grade 2 endometrial cancer. Obstet Gynecol 119(2 Pt 2):423-6, 2012. PMID: 22270425.
- Westin SN, Broaddus RR. Personalized therapy in endometrial cancer: Challenges and opportunities. Cancer Biol Ther 13(1):1-13, 2012. e-Pub 2012. PMID: 22198566.
- Westin SN, Sun CC, Lu KH, Schmeler KM, Soliman PT, Lacour RA, Johnson KG, Daniels MS, Arun BK, Peterson SK, Bodurka DC. Satisfaction with ovarian carcinoma risk-reduction strategies among women at high risk for breast and ovarian carcinoma. Cancer 117(12):2659-67, 2011. e-Pub 2010. PMID: 21656744.
- Lacour RA, Westin SN, Meyer LA, Wingo SN, Schorge JO, Brooks R, Mutch D, Molina A, Sutphen R, Barnes M, Elder J, Teoh D, Powell CB, Choubey V, Blank S, Macdonald HR, Brady MF, Urbauer DL, Bodurka D, Gershenson DM, Lu KH. Improved survival in non-Ashkenazi Jewish ovarian cancer patients with BRCA1 and BRCA2 gene mutations. Gynecol Oncol 121(2):358-63, 2011. e-Pub 2011. PMID: 21276604.
- Cantrell LA, Westin SN, Van Le L. The use of recombinant erythropoietin for the treatment of chemotherapy-induced anemia in patients with ovarian cancer does not affect progression-free or overall survival. Cancer 117(6):1220-6, 2011. e-Pub 2010. PMID: 21381011.
- Kincey J, Westin SN, Zhao B, Curtis MG, Ramondetta L. Surgical removal of a gigantic abdominal mass: A multidisciplinary approach. Obstet Gynecol 117(2 Pt 2):508-12, 2011. PMID: 21252807.
- Westin SN, Broaddus RR, Deng L, McCampbell A, Lu KH, Lacour RA, Milam MR, Urbauer DL, Mueller P, Pickar JH, Loose DS. Molecular clustering of endometrial carcinoma based on estrogen-induced gene expression. Cancer Biol Ther 8(22):2126-35, 2009. e-Pub 2009. PMID: 19755863.
- Litton JK, Westin SN, Ready K, Sun CC, Peterson SK, Meric-Bernstam F, Gonzalez-Angulo AM, Bodurka DC, Lu KH, Hortobagyi GN, Arun BK. Perception of screening and risk reduction surgeries in patients tested for a BRCA deleterious mutation. Cancer 115(8):1598-604, 2009. PMID: 19280625.
- Zhang Q, Shen Q, Celestino J, Milam MR, Westin SN, Lacour RA, Meyer LA, Shipley GL, Davies PJ, Deng L, McCampbell AS, Broaddus RR, Lu KH. Enhanced estrogen-induced proliferation in obese rat endometrium. Am J Obstet Gynecol 200(2):186.e1-8, 2009. PMID: 19185100.
- Westin SN, Lacour RA, Urbauer DL, Luthra R, Bodurka DC, Lu KH, Broaddus RR. Carcinoma of the lower uterine segment: a newly described association with Lynch syndrome. J Clin Oncol 26(36):5965-71, 2008. e-Pub 2008. PMID: 19001318.
- Westin SN, Bustillos D, Gano JB, Fields MM, Coker AL, Sun CC, Ramondetta LM. Social factors affecting treatment of cervical cancer: ethical issues and policy implications. Obstet Gynecol 111(3):747-51, 2008. PMID: 18310380.
- Westin SN, Skinner EN, Jonsson Funk M, Gehrig PM, Van Le L. Incidence of symptomatic deep venous thrombosis with epoetin alfa or darbepoetin alfa treatment of anemia in patients with ovarian or primary peritoneal cancer. Gynecol Oncol 105(2):414-7, 2007. e-Pub 2007. PMID: 17250880.