About Dr. Su
Dr. Shirley Su’s clinical interest is in the surgical management of complex benign and malignant skull base tumors and disorders. She is faculty in the Department of Head and Neck Surgery at the University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center.
Dr. Su was awarded her Medical Degree from Monash University and Residency Training and Board Certification in Otolaryngology from the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons. She completed a clinical fellowship in Head and Neck Oncological Surgery at the University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center followed by an additional one year fellowship in Open and Minimally Invasive Endoscopic Skull Base Surgery at the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, a leader and pioneer in this field.
Dr. Su has formal training in oncological surgery as well as open and expanded endoscopic skull base procedures. She is a member of the American Head and Neck Society and the North American Skull Base Society. She has received several awards during her career and authored multiple peer-reviewed publications. She is dedicated to providing the highest quality care to patients with Head and Neck tumors and Skull Base disorders
Assistant Professor, Department of Head and Neck Surgery, Division of Surgery, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
Adjunct Assistant Professor, Department of Neurosurgery, Division of Surgery, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
Minimally invasive surgery, cancers of the nose, sinuses and cranial base.
|2000||Monash University, Melbourne, AUS, MBBS, Medicine|
|2012-2013||Clinical Fellowship, Endoscopic and Open Cranial Base Surgery; Clinical Instructor, University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, Pittsburgh, PA|
|2011-2012||Clinical Fellowship, Head and Neck Surgical Oncology, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX|
|2007-2011||Clinical Residency, Advanced Surgical Training in Otolaryngology, Royal Australasian College of Surgeons, East Melbourne|
|2005-2007||Clinical Residency, Advanced Surgical Training in General Surgery, Royal Australasian College of Surgeons, East Melbourne|
|2002-2005||Basic Surgical Training, Royal Australasian College of Surgeons, East Melbourne|
|2001-2002||Clinical Internship, General, Monash Medical Center, Melbourne|
Consultant Surgeon, Royal Children's Hospital, Melbourne, 2011 - 2011
Institutional Committee Activities
Team Member, Inpatient Operations Steering Committee (IOSC), 2014 - Present
|2000||Award for Notable Contribution, Young Achievement Australia|
|1999||Commonwealth Foundation Medical Electives Scholarship, Commonwealth Foundation Medical Electives|
|1999||Health Promotion Prize for project: "The Prevention of diabetes in Women with a History of Gestational Diabetes", VicHealth|
|1998||Chinese Health Foundation of Australia Award, Chinese Health Foundation of Australia|
- Jiang W, Mohamed AS, Fuller CD, Kim BY, Tang C, Gunn GB, Hanna EY, Frank SJ,Su SY, Diaz E, Kupferman ME, Beadle BM, Morrison WH, Skinner H, Lai SY, El-Naggar AK, DeMonte F, Rosenthal DI, Garden AS, Phan J. The role of elective nodal irradiation for esthesioneuroblastoma patients with clinically negative neck. Pract Radiat Oncol 6(4):241-7, 2016. e-Pub 2015. PMID: 26979544.
- Holmes M,Su SY, Bell D. Ectopic primary olfactory neuroblastoma of the maxillary sinus: a case report and literature review. Annals of Diagnostic Pathology, 2016.
- Horowitz PM, DiNapoli V, Su SY, Raza SM. Complication Avoidance in Endoscopic Skull Base Surgery. Otolaryngol Clin North Am 49(1):227-35, 2016. PMID: 26614840.
- Hansen CC, Kelsey Chrane PA, Bunn GB, Mohamed ASR, Rosenthal DI, Wefel JS, Phan J, Frank SJ, Garden AS, Smith B, Eichelberger H, Anderson C, McCoy C, Horiates M, Patrick C, Floris S, French, C, Beadle BM, Morrison WH, Su SY, Lewis CM, Kupferman ME, Skinner HD, Lai SY, Hanna EY, Fuller CD.. Cognitive Function and Patient-Reported Memory Problem Following Radiation Therapy for Cancers at the Skull Base: A Survivorship Study Using the Telephone Interview for Cognitive Stateus and the MDASI-HN. Int J Rad Onc 94(4):967, 2016. e-Pub 2016.
- Vaz-Guimaraes F, Su SY, Fernandez-Miranda JC, Wang EW, Snyderman CH, Gardner PA. Hemostasis in Endoscopic Endonasal Skull Base Surgery. J Neurol Surg B Skull Base 76(4):296-302, 2015. e-Pub 2015. PMID: 26225320.
- Su SY, Milas ZL, Bhatt N, Roberts D, Clayman GL.. Well differentiated thyroid cancer with aerodigestive tract invasion: Long-term control and functional outcomes. Head Neck doi: 10.1002/hed.23851, 2014. e-Pub 2014. PMID: 25204531.
- de Almeida JR, Su SY, Koutourousiou M, Vaz Guimaraes Filho F, Fernandez Miranda JC, Wang EW, Gardner PA, Snyderman CH.. Endonasal endoscopic surgery for squamous cell carcinoma of the sinonasal cavities and skull base: Oncologic outcomes based on treatment strategy and tumor etiology. Head Neck doi: 10.1002/hed.23731, 2014. e-Pub 2014. PMID: 24798497.
- Su SY, Bell D, Hanna EY. Esthesioneuroblastoma, Neuroendocrine Carcinoma, and Sinonasal Undifferentiated Carcinoma: Differentiation in Diagnosis and Treatment. Int Arch Otorhinolaryngol 18:S149-S156, 2014.
- Su SY, de Almeida JR, Fernandez-Miranda JC, Gardner PA, Wang EW, Snyderman CH. “Endoscopic Endonasal Resection of Sinonasal Undifferentiated Carcinoma: the UPMC experience.”. J Neurol Surg B 74 (suppl 1):2, 2013.
- Su SY, Grodski S, Serpell J. "Hypothyroidism following hemithyroidectomy". Annals of Surgery 250(6):991-4, 2009.
- Su SY, Giorlando F, Ek EW, Dieu T. "Incomplete excision of basal cell carcinoma: a prospective trial". Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery 120(5):1240-8, 2007.
- Tan PY, Ek EW, Su SY, Giorlando F, Dieu T. "Incomplete excision of squamous cell carcinoma of the skin: a prospective observational study". Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery 120(4):910-6, 2007.
- Ek EW, Giorlando F, Su SY, Dieu T. "Clinical diagnosis of skin tumors - how good are we?". Australian and New Zealand Journal of Surgery 75(6):415-20, 2005.
- deAlmeida JR, Carvalho F, Vaz-Guimaraes F, Koutourousiou M, Su, SY, Kiehl R, Vescan AD, Witterick IJ, Wang EW, Zadeh G, Fernandez-Miranda JC, Gardner PA, Gentili F, Snyderman CH. A comparison of post-operative MRI signal changes between endoscopic endonasal approaches and open approaches for olfactory groove meningiomas: a match paired analysis from two institutions. J Neurol Surg B 22(11):1733-41. e-Pub 2015.
- Su SY, Bell D, Hanna EY. Esthesioneuroblastoma, sinonasal undifferentiated carcinoma and neuroendocrine carcinoma: differentials in diagnosis and management. International Archives of Otolaryngology, 2014.
- Su SY, Kupferman ME, DeMonte F, Levine NB, Raza SM, Hanna EY. Endoscopic Resection of Sinonasal Cancers. Curr Oncol Rep 16(2):369, 2014. PMID: 24445501.
- Su SY, Khomko N, Ling M "The prevention of diabetes in women with a history of gestational diabetes." Bilingual publication in Chinese and English, for the secondary prevention of type II diabetes. VicHealth, 1998.
- Su SY, de Almeida JR, Filho FVG, Koutourousiou M, Fernandez-Miranda JC, Gardner PA, Wang EW, Snyderman CH. Outcomes for Endoscopic Endonasal Resection of Adenocystic Carcinoma of the Sinonasal Cavity and Skull Base. Journal of Neurological Surgery - Part B 74(suppl 1):2, 2013.
- Filho FVG, Koutourousiou M, Su SY, de Almeida JR, Fernandez-Miranda JC, Wang EW, Snyderman CH, Gardner PA. Endoscopic Endonasal Clipping of Intracranial Aneurysms: Technical Details and Anatomic Basis. Journal of Neurological Surgery - Part B 74(suppl 1):80, 2013.
- Koutourousiou M, Filho FVG, de Almeida JR, Su SY, Fernandez-Miranda JC, Wang EW, Snyderman CH, Tyler-Kebara E, Gardner PA. Endoscopic Endonasal Surgery for Craniopharyngiomas: Surgical Outcome in 64 patients. Journal of Neurological Surgery - Part B 74(suppl 1):38, 2013.
- Koutourousiou M, Filho FVG, de Almeida JR, Su SY, Fernandez-Miranda JC, Wang EW, Snyderman CH, Tyler-Kebara E, Gardner PA. Endoscopic Endonasal Surgery for Suprasellar Meningiomas. Journal of Neurological Surgery - Part B 74(suppl 1):22, 2013.
- Su SY, Harris P. A randomized, placebo-controlled trial of rectus sheath local anaesthetic infusion after major abdominal surgery. Australian and New Zealand Journal of Surgery 76(suppl 1):A14-21, 2006.
|Title:||MD Anderson symptom inventory, skull base module: developing a disease specific instrument to evaluate quality of life in patients with skull base tumors|
|Funding Source:||Cancer Survivorship Research Seed Money Grants at the University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center|