About Dr. Pant
Dr. Shubham Pant is an Associate Professor in the Department of Gastrointestinal Medical Oncology with a joint appointment in the Department of Investigational Cancer Therapeutics at the University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center. Dr. Pant is a key opinion leader in the fields of Phase 1 (Early drug development) and GI Cancers including pancreatic, biliary, gall bladder and colorectal cancer.
He has an expertise in Targeted therapy and Immunotherapy and has co-authored numerous peer-review articles and is a Section Editor for the Handbook of Targeted Therapy and Immunotherapy. In addition, he has presented or has been coauthor on more than 100 abstracts in national and international meetings including ASCO, AACR. ESMO, ESMO GI, ASCO GI and the NCI-EORTC-AACR (Triple meeting). He is a collaborator of numerous grants including R01 grant from the National Institute of Health and serves as the Clinical Co-leader on NCI Specialized Programs of Research Excellence (SPORE) project 3. He also serves as a member on the National Cancer Institute, Pancreas Task Force and helped draft the ASCO Metastatic Pancreatic Cancer Guidelines that provides evidence-based recommendations to serve as a guide for physicians. Nationally, he is a member of the Arm Selection Committee of Precision Promise, a Pancreatic Cancer Action Network (PanCan) initiative.
Dr. Pant completed his fellowship from the James Cancer Hospital/Solove Research Institute at the Ohio State University where he was elected Chief Fellow. He has previously served as the Director of Clinical Trials, Section of Hematology- and as Associate Director of the TSET Phase I Program at the University of Oklahoma. He was recipient of the Mai Eager Anderson Endowed Chair in Cancer Clinical Trials, was featured in "40 under 40" in Oklahoma magazine and has been voted by his peers as "America's Top Doctors" (Castle Connolly) five years in a row. For his patient care, at OU, he was awarded the Golden Pillar Award for Outstanding Patient Service twice for achieving patient satisfaction scores in the top 90th percentile as measured by the OU Medicine EXCEL initiative.
Dr. Pant has been the recipient of ASCO/AACR Workshop Methods in Clinical Cancer Research and was selected for the American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO) Leadership Development Program. He currently serves as a member on the ASCO Annual Meeting Educational Committee (GI-Non Colorectal Track) and is a member on the ASCO International Quality Task Force. In addition, Dr. Pant has an interest in improving quality of care for cancer patients, is a Lean Six Sigma Green Belt and has served on the ASCO Quality of Care Committee and ASCO's International Quality Task Force. He has a keen interest in Global Health and held a grant through the Global Academic Program to study Gall Bladder Cancer in India and Chile. In his free time, Dr. Pant enjoys writing on diet and cancer, is a contributor to Huffington Post, India and the author of the Bestselling novel: Food Matters: The role your diet plays in the fight against cancer (Publisher: Harper Collins, In).
Associate Professor, Department of Gastrointestinal (GI) Medical Oncology, Division of Cancer Medicine, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
Associate Professor, Department of Investigational Cancer Therapeutics, Division of Cancer Medicine, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
Associate Director, Department of Sheihk Ahmed Center for Early Phase Drug Development of Pancreatic Cancer Research, Division of Cancer Medicine, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
|2007||Maulana Azad Medical College, New Delhi, IND, MD, Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery|
|2005-2008||Clinical Fellowship, Hematology Oncology, James Cancer Hospital /Solove Research Institute Department of Medicine, The Ohio State University, Columbus, OH|
|2002-2005||Clinical Fellowship, Internal Medicine, University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center, Oklahoma City, OK|
|2008||Diplomate of the American Board of Internal Medicine in Hematology|
|2008||Diplomate of the American Board of Internal Medicine in Medical Oncology|
|2005||Diplomate of the American Board of Internal Medicine|
Associate Director, Department of TSET Phase 1 Program, Peggy and Charles Oklahoma Cancer Center, Oklahoma City, OK, 2010 - 2016
Director of Clinical Trials, Section Of Hematology-Oncology, Department of Section of Hematology-Oncology, The University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center, Oklahoma City, OK, 2008 - 2016
Research Liaison, Department of Protocol Review, Integration & Strategic Management (PRISM), The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2016 - 2018
Oncology Lead (CRDSG), Department of GI Cancers, OUHSC, Oklahoma City, OK, 2012 - Present
Institutional Principal Investigator, CALGB & ACTION, OUHSC, Oklahoma City, OK, 2010 - 2013
GI-ICT Liaison Group, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2016 - Present
Institutional Committee Activities
Member, Epic Working Group, 2016 - 2018
Member, Clinical/Scientific Review Committee, 2016 - 2017
Member, Scientific Review Committee -Oklahoma University Health Sciences Center, 2009 - 2016
Member, Institutional Review Board (IRB). Oklahoma University Health Sciences Center, 2008 - 2009
The Mai Eager Anderson Chair in Cancer Clinical Trials, OUHSC, Oklahoma City, OK, 2015 - Present
|2015||Oklahoma “40 under 40”, Oklahoma Magazine|
|2015||Lean/Six Sigma Green Belt Certification, OU College Of Engineering|
|2015||ASCO Leadership Development Program|
|2015||Chair, The Mai Eager Anderson Chair in Cancer Clinical Trials|
|2013||Top Clinical Trials Accrual GI cancer Program, The Stephenson Cancer Center|
|2012||Golden Pillar Award for Outstanding Patient Service for achieving patient satisfaction scores in the top 95th percentile as measured by the OU Medicine EXCEL initiative|
|2008||Plaque of Merit for Dedicated Service awarded by the Department of Hematology-Oncology, Ohio State University Medical Center|
|2007||Elected Chief Fellow, Division of Hematology and Oncology James Cancer Hospital and Solove Research Institute, Department of Medicine, Ohio State University|
|2006||Recipient of ASCO/AACR Workshop award for Methods in Clinical Cancer Research|
|2004||First prize for original research at Stuart Wolf Day, Department of Medicine, OUHSC|
- Pant S, Martin LK, Geyer S, Wei L, Van Loon K, Sommovilla N, Zalupski M, Iyer R, Fogelman D, Ko AH, Bekaii-Saab T. Treatment-related Hypertension as a Pharmacodynamic Biomarker for the Efficacy of Bevacizumab in Advanced Pancreas Cancer: A Pooled Analysis of 4 Prospective Trials of Gemcitabine-based Therapy With Bevacizumab. Am J Clin Oncol 39(6):614-618, 2016. e-Pub 2014. PMID: 25068471.
- Sarantopoulos J, Goel S, Chung V, Munster P, Pant S, Patel MR, Infante J, Tawbi H, Becerra C, Bruce J, Kabbinavar F, Lockhart AC, Tan E, Yang S, Carlson G, Scott JW, Sharma S. Randomized phase 1 crossover study assessing the bioequivalence of capsule and tablet formulations of dovitinib (TKI258) in patients with advanced solid tumors. Cancer Chemother Pharmacol 78(5):921-927, 2016. e-Pub 2016. PMID: 27681579.
- Naing A, Papadopoulos KP, Autio KA, Ott PA, Patel MR, Wong DJ, Falchook GS, Pant S, Whiteside M, Rasco DR, Mumm JB, Chan IH, Bendell JC, Bauer TM, Colen RR, Hong DS, Van Vlasselaer P, Tannir NM, Oft M, Infante JR. Safety, Antitumor Activity, and Immune Activation of Pegylated Recombinant Human Interleukin-10 (AM0010) in Patients With Advanced Solid Tumors. J Clin Oncol 34(29):3562-3569, 2016. e-Pub 2016. PMID: 27528724.
- Wirth LJ, Dakhil S, Kornek G, Axelrod R, Adkins D, Pant S, O'Brien P, Debruyne PR, Oliner KS, Dong J, Murugappan S. PARTNER: An open-label, randomized, phase 2 study of docetaxel/cisplatin chemotherapy with or without panitumumab as first-line treatment for recurrent or metastatic squamous cell carcinoma of the head and neck. Oral Oncol 61:31-40, 2016. e-Pub 2016. PMID: 27688102.
- Noonan AM, Farren MR, Geyer SM, Huang Y, Tahiri S, Ahn D, Mikhail S, Ciombor KK, Pant S, Aparo S, Sexton J, Marshall JL, Mace TA, Wu CS, El-Rayes B, Timmers CD, Zwiebel J, Lesinski GB, Villalona-Calero MA, Bekaii-Saab TS. Randomized Phase II Trial of the Oncolytic Virus Pelareorep (Reolysin) in Upfront Treatment of Metastatic Pancreatic Adenocarcinoma. Mol Ther 24(6):1150-8, 2016. e-Pub 2016. PMID: 27039845.
- Bendell JC, Patel MR, Yoshida K, Seraj J, Weaver R, Lemech C, Todaro TG, Pant S, Arkenau HT. Phase 1 study of cardiac safety of TAS-102 in patients with advanced solid tumors. Cancer Chemother Pharmacol 77(6):1275-83, 2016. e-Pub 2016. PMID: 27151157.
- Pant S, Jones SF, Kurkjian CD, Infante JR, Moore KN, Burris HA, McMeekin DS, Benhadji KA, Patel BK, Frenzel MJ, Kursar JD, Zamek-Gliszczynski MJ, Yuen ES, Chan EM, Bendell JC. A first-in-human phase I study of the oral Notch inhibitor, LY900009, in patients with advanced cancer. Eur J Cancer 56:1-9, 2016. e-Pub 2016. PMID: 26798966.
- Tolaney SM, Beeram M, Beck JT, Conlin AK, Dees EC, Dickler MN, Helsten TL, Conkling PR, Edenfield WJ, Richards DA, Turner PK, Cai N, Chan EM, Pant S, Becerra C, Kalinsky K, Puhalla S, Rexer BN, Burris HA, Goetz MP. A Phase 1b Study of Abemaciclib, an inhibitor of CDK4 and CDK6, in Combination with Endocrine and HER2-targeted Therapies for Patients with Metastatic Breast Cancer. Annals of Oncology 27(6):v552-v587, 2016.
- Phan M, Jones S, Jenkins J, Pant S, Khawandanah M. Pancreatic GIST in a Patient with Limited Stage Small Cell Lung Cancer: A Case Report and Review of Published Cases. Case Rep Oncol Med 2016:9604982, 2016. e-Pub 2016. PMID: 27579203.
- Khawandanah M, Baxley A, Pant S. Recurrent metastatic anal cancer treated with modified paclitaxel, ifosfamide, and cisplatin and third-line mitomycin/cetuximab. J Oncol Pharm Pract 21(3):232-7, 2015. e-Pub 2014. PMID: 24627343.
- Bendell JC, Patel MR, Infante JR, Kurkjian CD, Jones SF, Pant S, Burris HA, Moreno O, Esquibel V, Levin W, Moore KN. Phase 1, open-label, dose escalation, safety, and pharmacokinetics study of ME-344 as a single agent in patients with refractory solid tumors. Cancer 121(7):1056-63, 2015. e-Pub 2014. PMID: 25411085.
- Suttle AB, Grossmann KF, Ouellet D, Richards-Peterson LE, Aktan G, Gordon MS, LoRusso PM, Infante JR, Sharma S, Kendra K, Patel M, Pant S, Arkenau HT, Middleton MR, Blackman SC, Botbyl J, Carson SW. Assessment of the drug interaction potential and single- and repeat-dose pharmacokinetics of the BRAF inhibitor dabrafenib. J Clin Pharmacol 55(4):392-400, 2015. e-Pub 2014. PMID: 25449654.
- Ahmad B, Pierson N, Adnan MM, Phan M, Jenkins J, Pant S, Cherry M, Khawandanah M. Distant skin metastases as primary presentation of gastric cancer. J Community Support Oncol 13(4):156-8, 2015. PMID: 26102608.
- Qu D, Johnson J, Chandrakesan P, Weygant N, May R, Aiello N, Rhim A, Zhao L, Zheng W, Lightfoot S, Pant S, Irvan J, Postier R, Hocker J, Hanas JS, Ali N, Sureban SM, An G, Schlosser MJ, Stanger B, Houchen CW. Doublecortin-like kinase 1 is elevated serologically in pancreatic ductal adenocarcinoma and widely expressed on circulating tumor cells. PLoS One 10(2):e0118933, 2015. e-Pub 2015. PMID: 25723399.
- Bendell JC, Jones SF, Hart L, Pant S, Moyhuddin A, Lane CM, Earwood C, Murphy P, Patton J, Penley WC, Thompson D, Infante JR. A Phase I Study of the Hsp90 Inhibitor AUY922 plus Capecitabine for the Treatment of Patients with Advanced Solid Tumors. Cancer Invest 33(10):477-82, 2015. e-Pub 2015. PMID: 26460795.
- Mohammed A, Janakiram NB, Pant S, Rao CV. Molecular Targeted Intervention for Pancreatic Cancer. Cancers (Basel) 7(3):1499-542, 2015. e-Pub 2015. PMID: 26266422.
- Li D, Pant S, Ryan DP, Laheru D, Bahary N, Dragovich T, Hosein PJ, Rolfe L, Saif MW, LaValle J, Yu KH, Lowery MA, Allen A, O'Reilly EM. A phase II, open-label, multicenter study to evaluate the antitumor efficacy of CO-1.01 as second-line therapy for gemcitabine-refractory patients with stage IV pancreatic adenocarcinoma and negative tumor hENT1 expression. Pancreatology 14(5):398-402, 2014. e-Pub 2014. PMID: 25278310.
- Pant S, Saleh M, Bendell J, Infante JR, Jones S, Kurkjian CD, Moore KM, Kazakin J, Abbadessa G, Wang Y, Chen Y, Schwartz B, Camacho LH. A phase I dose escalation study of oral c-MET inhibitor tivantinib (ARQ 197) in combination with gemcitabine in patients with solid tumors. Ann Oncol 25(7):1416-21, 2014. e-Pub 2014. PMID: 24737778.
- Pant S, Martin LK, Geyer S, Wei L, Van Loon K, Sommovilla N, Sommovilla N, Zalupski M, Iyer R, Fogelman D, Ko AH, Bekaii-Saab T. Baseline serum albumin is a predictive biomarker for patients with advanced pancreatic cancer treated with bevacizumab: a pooled analysis of 7 prospective trials of gemcitabine-based therapy with or without bevacizumab. Cancer 120(12):1780-6, 2014. e-Pub 2014. PMID: 24633933.
- Pant S, Burris HA, Moore K, Bendell JC, Kurkjian C, Jones SF, Moreno O, Kuhn JG, McMeekin S, Infante JR. A first-in-human dose-escalation study of ME-143, a second generation NADH oxidase inhibitor, in patients with advanced solid tumors. Invest New Drugs 32(1):87-93, 2014. e-Pub 2013. PMID: 23525756.
- Kurkjian N, Kurkjian C, Pant S, Tucker P. Psycho-oncology: a brief history and case study. J Okla State Med Assoc 106(12):471-4, 2013. PMID: 24620412.
- Cherry MA, Bhardwaj H, Hopps S, Srour S, Pant S. Ifosfamide-induced neurotoxicity reversal with continuous veno-venous hemodialysis. A case report. J Oncol Pharm Pract 19(3):261-4, 2013. e-Pub 2012. PMID: 23135805.
- Hopps S, Medina P, Pant S, Webb R, Moorman M, Borders E. Cetuximab hypersensitivity infusion reactions: Incidence and risk factors. J Oncol Pharm Pract 19(3):222-7, 2013. e-Pub 2012. PMID: 23135806.
- Landmann A, Makipour JJ, Morgan A, Postier R, Pant S, Liu C, Anderson J. Image of the month. Extramedullary plasmacytoma. JAMA Surg 148(1):101-2, 2013. PMID: 23324848.
- Alinari L, Pant S, McNamara K, Kalmar JR, Marsh W, Allen CM, Baiocchi RA. Lymphomatoid granulomatosis presenting with gingival involvement in an immune competent elderly male. Head Neck Pathol 6(4):496-501, 2012. e-Pub 2012. PMID: 22711054.
- Lustberg MB, Pant S, Ruppert AS, Shen T, Wei Y, Chen L, Brenner L, Shiels D, Jensen RR, Berger M, Mrozek E, Ramaswamy B, Grever M, Au JL, Wientjes MG, Shapiro CL. Phase I/II trial of non-cytotoxic suramin in combination with weekly paclitaxel in metastatic breast cancer treated with prior taxanes. Cancer Chemother Pharmacol 70(1):49-56, 2012. e-Pub 2012. PMID: 22729159.
- Pant S, Hamadani M, Dodds AJ, Szer J, Crilley PA, Stevenson D, Phillips G, Elder P, Nivison-Smith I, Avalos BR, Penza S, Topolsky D, Sobecks R, Kalaycio M, Bolwell BJ, Copelan EA. Incidence and reasons for late failure after allogeneic haematopoietic cell transplantation following BuCy2 in acute myeloid leukaemia. Br J Haematol 148(4):623-6, 2010. e-Pub 2009. PMID: 19821825.
- Pant S, Ramaswamy B. Association of major stressors with elevated risk of breast cancer incidence or relapse. Drugs Today (Barc) 45(2):115-26, 2009. PMID: 19343231.
- Pant S, Chilukuri MP, Ramaswamy B. Docetaxel for the post-surgery treatment of patients with node-positive breast cancer. Ther Clin Risk Manag 4(2):419-24, 2008. PMID: 18728853.
- Pant S, Landon MB, Blumenfeld M, Farrar W, Shapiro CL. Treatment of breast cancer with trastuzumab during pregnancy. J Clin Oncol 26(9):1567-9, 2008. PMID: 18349415.
- Pant S, Shapiro CL. Aromatase inhibitor-associated bone loss: clinical considerations. Drugs 68(18):2591-600, 2008. PMID: 19093701.
- Pant S, Ozer H. New agents in the treatment of ovarian cancer. Managed Care Oncology(4):26-28, 2008.
- Pant S, Copelan EA. Hematopoietic stem cell transplantation in multiple myeloma. Biol Blood Marrow Transplant 13(8):877-85, 2007. PMID: 17640590.
- Kamble R, Pant S, Selby GB, Kharfan-Dabaja MA, Sethi S, Kratochvil K, Kohrt N, Ozer H. Microbial contamination of hematopoietic progenitor cell grafts-incidence, clinical outcome, and cost-effectiveness: an analysis of 735 grafts. Transfusion 45(6):874-8, 2005. PMID: 15934984.