About Dr. Thosani
Dr. Sonali Thosani is an Assistant Professor in the Division of Endocrine Neoplasia and Hormonal Disorders at the University of Texas MD Anderson. She grew up in Oklahoma City and graduated summa cum laude from Oklahoma City University with a Bachelor of Arts and Science in Spanish and Biology. After graduating from the University of Oklahoma medical school, she completed a residency training program in Internal Medicine and Pediatrics at UT-Houston, and an endocrinology fellowship at Baylor College of Medicine. She is board certified in Internal Medicine and Pediatrics. Her clinical and research interests include treatment of diabetes and steroid induced hyperglycemia in cancer patients, and designing ways to improve the quality and delivery of health care in the inpatient and outpatient setting. Dr. Thosani is multilingual and fluent in Spanish, Hindi and Gujarati.
Associate Professor, Department of Endocrine Neoplasia and Hormonal Disorders, Division of Internal Medicine, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
Management of steroid induced hyperglycemia
Quality improvement in health care delivery
Endocrine effects of cancer chemotherapy
Dr. Thosani enjoys taking care of patients with diabetes and endocrine complications of cancer treatment including thyroid disorders, hypogonadism and bone health disorders. In addition, she work on improving the quality of care delivered to patients across various settings.
For general clinic information and referrals, please visit the Department of Endocrine Neoplasia and Hormonal Disorders' contact information webpage at:
|2006||University of Oklahoma College of Medicine, Oklahoma City, OK, USA, MD, Doctor of Medicine|
|2002||Oklahoma City University, Oklahoma City, OK, USA, BS, Biology|
|2002||Oklahoma City University, Oklahoma City, OK, USA, BA, Spanish|
|2010-2012||Endocrinology Fellowship, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX|
|2007-2010||Medicine/Pediatrics Residency, UT Health, Houston, Houston, TX|
|2006-2007||Medicine/Pediatric Internship, University of Oklahoma College of Medicine, Oklahoma, OK|
|2011||American Board of Pediatrics|
|2010||American Board of Internal Medicine|
Assistant Professor, Department of Endocrine Neoplasia and Hormonal Disorders, Division of Internal Medicine, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2012 - 2020
Fellow Representative for Harris County Quality Improvement Conference, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX, 2011 - Present
Chief Medical Resident, UT Health, Houston, Houston, TX, 2009 - 2010
Member of Residency Council, UT Health, Houston, Houston, TX, 2008 - 2009
Committee Member for Medical School Admissions Boards, University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center, Oklahoma City, OK, 2007 - Present
- Thosani N, Thosani SN Kumar S, Nugent Z, Jimenez C, Singh H, Guha S. Reduced Risk of Colorectal Cancer With Use of Oral Bisphosphonates: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis. J Clin Oncol 31(5):623-30, 2013. PMID: 23269990.
- Thosani N, Thosani S, Qiao W, Fleming JB, Bhutani MS, Guha S. Role of EUS-FNA-based cytology in the diagnosis of mucinous pancreatic cystic lesions: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Dig Dis Sci 55(10):2756-66, 2010. PMID: 20694512.
- Pollard LM, Sharma R, Gómez M, Shah S, Delatycki MB, Pianese L, Monticelli A, Keats BJ, Bidichandani SI. Replication-mediated instability of the GAA triplet repeat mutation in Friedreich ataxia. Nucleic Acids Res 32(19):5962-71, 2004. e-Pub 2004. PMID: 15534367.
- Yeung SC, Habra MA, Thosani SN. Lung cancer-induced paraneoplastic syndromes. Curr Opin Pulm Med 17(4):260-8, 2011. PMID: 21577115.
- Thosani SN, Jimenez C. Opioid induced biochemical alterations in the neuroendocrine axis. Expert Reviews in Endocrinology and Metabolism 6(5), 2011. e-Pub 2011. PMID: 30780884.
- Thosani SN, Busaidy N, Cabanillas M, Cote G, Grubbs E, Habra MA, Hu M, Perrier N, Ayala-Ramirez M, Rich T, Waguespack SG, Ying AK, Jimenez CJ. Characterization of Pheochromcoytomas in MEN 2 with RET codon 918 and 634 mutations. Endocrine Society, 2012.
- Dadu R, Thosani SN, Nalini R. The Hyperinsulinism Hyperammonemia Syndrome Complicated by Gestational Diabetes Mellitus. Endocrine Society, 2012.
- Thosani SN,Waguespack SG, Lavis VA, Jimenez C. Interleukin-2 Therapy and the Extremes of Autoimmune Thyroid Disease. American Thyroid Association, 2011.
- Thosani SN, Edeiken-Monroe B, Jimenez C. Leukemic infiltration of the Thyroid Gland. American Thyroid Association, 2011.
- Thosani SN, Hu M, Ahn P, Lamont J. Thyroid and Parathyroid Cancers. In: Cancer Management: A Multidisciplinary Approach. 1. The Oncology Group, 1084, 2011.