Present Title & Affiliation
Professor, Department of Anesthesiology and Perioperative Medicine, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
Education & Training
|1994||The Royal College of Anaesthetists, London, GBR, CCHTA, Higher Training in Anaesthesia|
|1987||The Royal College of Anaesthetists, London, GBR, FRCA, Anaesthesia|
|1985||The Royal College of Anaesthetists, London, GBR, DA(Engl), Anaesthesia|
|1984||Licentiate of The Royal College of Physicians of Edinburgh, Edinburgh, GBR, LRCP(Edin), Medicine|
|1984||Licentiate of The Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh, Edinburgh, GBR, LRCS(Edin), Surgery|
|1984||Licentiate of The Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Glasgow, Glasgow, GBR, MRCPS(Glasg), Medicine, Surgery|
|1981||University of Zimbabwe, Godfrey Huggins Medical School, Harare, ZWE, MBChB, Medicine|
|2001-2002||Critical Care Medicine Fellow, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX|
|1991-1994||Anesthesiology Fellow equivalent, West Midlands A. T. S, Birmingham|
|1989-1991||Anesthesiology Lecturer, St. Bartholomew's Hospital, London|
|1988-1989||Anesthesiology Resident, St. Bartholomew's Hospital, London|
|1986-1988||Anesthesiology Resident, Whittington Hospital, London|
|1984-1986||Anesthesiology Resident, Southend General Hospital, London|
|1983-1984||Anesthesiology Resident, Parirenyatwa Hospital, Harare|
|1983-1983||Pediatric Medicine Resident, Parirenyatwa Hospital, Harare|
|1982-1982||Medicine and Surgery Intern, Parirenyatwa Hospital, Harare|
|1994||Certificate of Completion of Higher Training in Anesthesia Awarded by The Royal College of Anaesthetists, HTA|
|1987||Fellow of The Royal College of Anaesthetists, FRCA, England|
Experience & Service
Member, Faculty Mentoring Committee Department of Anesthesiology, Houston, TX, 2012 - Present
Institutional Committee Activities
Member, Molecular Testing Evaluation Committee, 2014 - Present
Honors & Awards
|2014||Excellence and Innovation Award Oral and Poster Presentation, Society of Ambulatory Anesthesia|
|2013||3rd Place Poster Presentation, Society of Ambulatory Anesthesia|
|2013||2nd Place Poster Presentation, Society of Ambulatory Anesthesia|
|2009||Mary Hanna Memorial Journalism Award, American Society of PeriAnesthesia Nurses|
|2000||Dean's Excellence Award, University of Texas|
|1999||Dean's Excellence Award, University of Texas|
|1992||Dean's Teaching Excellence Award, University of Texas|
|1986||Nuffield Anaesthetic Prize, The Royal College of Anaesthetists, England|
- French KE, Recinos I, Guzman AB, Aloia TA, Hernandez M, Kee SS, Kowalski AM, Goravanchi F, Cerny J, Cleckler-Hughes KV, Rebello E. Continuous Quality Improvement Measured with Time-Driven Activity-Based Costing in an Outpatient Cancer Surgery Center. J Oncol Pract 15(2):JOP1800394, 2019. e-Pub 2019. PMID: 30615585.
- Long K, Ruiz J, Kee S, Kowalski A, Goravanchi F, Cerny J, French K, Hernandez M, Perrier N, Rebello E. Effect of adjunctive dexmedetomidine on postoperative intravenous opioid administration in patients undergoing thyroidectomy in an ambulatory setting. J Clin Anesth 35:361-364, 2016. e-Pub 2016. PMID: 27871557.
- Rebello E, Kee S, Kowalski A, Harun N, Guindani M, Goravanchi F. Reduction of Incorrect Record Accessing and Charting Patient Electronic Medical Records in the Perioperative Environment. Health Informatics J 22(4):1055-1062, 2016. e-Pub 2015. PMID: 26470715.
- Wolf O, Clemens MW, Purugganan RV, Crosby MA, Kowalski AM, Kee SS, Liu J, Goravanchi F. A Prospective, Randomized, Controlled Trial of Paravertebral Block versus General Anesthesia Alone for Prosthetic Breast Reconstruction. Plast Reconstr Surg 137(4):660-666, 2016. PMID: 27018693.
- Balachandran DD, Faiz SA, Hernandez M, Kowalski AM, Bashoura L, Goravanchi F, Cherian SV, Rebello E, Kee SS, French KE. Length of Stay in Ambulatory Surgical Oncology Patients at High Risk for Sleep Apnea as Predicted by STOP-BANG Questionnaire. Anesthesiol Res Pract 2016(6):1-6, 2016. e-Pub 2016. PMID: 27610133.
- Cerny J, Kee S, Goravanchi F, Rebello E, Kowalski AM.. Perio-operative Takotsubo Cardiomyopathy: A Case Series. Global Journal of Anesthesiology 2(2):022-024, 2015.
- Ramirez MF, Ai D, Bauer M, Vauthey JN, Gottumukkala V, Kee S, Shon D, Truty M, Kuerer HM, Kurz A, Hernandez M, Cata JP. Innate immune function after breast, lung, and colorectal cancer surgery. J Surg Res 194(1):185-93, 2015. e-Pub 2014. PMID: 25475022.
- Goravanchi F, Kee SS, Kowalski AM, Berger JS, French KE. A Case Series of Thoracic Paravertebral Blocks Using a Combination of Ropivacaine, Clonidine, Epinephrine, and Dexamethasone. Journal of Clinical Anesthesia 24(8):664-7, 2012. e-Pub 2012. PMID: 23228871.
- Kee SS. Father and Daughter: A father's Privilege, Mind to Mind Section. Anesthesiology 118(4):979, 2012. e-Pub 2012.
- Frenzel JC, Kee SS, Ensor JE, Riedel BJ, Ruiz JR. Ongoing Provision of Individual Clinician Performance Data improves Practice Behavior. Anesthesia and Analgesia 111(2):515-9, 2010. e-Pub 2010.
- Ruiz JR, Kee SS, Frenzel JC, Ensor JE, Selvan M, Riedel BJ, Apfel C. The effect of an anatomically classified procedure on antiemetic administration in the post anesthesia care unit. Anesthesia and Analgesia 110(2):403-9, 2010. e-Pub 2009. PMID: 19713254.
- Boughey JC, Goravanchi F, Parris RN, Kee SS, Kowalski AM, Frenzel JC, Bedrosian I, Meric-Bernstam F, Hunt KK, Ames FC, Kuerer HM, Lucci A. Prospective randomized trial of paravertebral block for patients undergoing breast cancer surgery. American Journal of Surgery 198(5):720-5, 2009. e-Pub 2009. PMID: 19427625.
- Boughey JC, Goravanchi F, Parris RN, Kee SS, Frenzel JC, Hunt KK, Ames FC, Kuerer HM, Lucci A. Improved postoperative pain control using thoracic paravertebral block for breast operations. Breast Journal 15(5):483-8, 2009. e-Pub 2009. PMID: 19624418.
- Perrier ND, Edeiken B, Nunez R, Gayed I, Jiminez C, Busaidy N, Potylchansky E, Kee SS, Vu T.. A Novel Nomenclature to Classify Parathyroid Adenomas. World Journal of Surgery 33(3)):412-416, 2009.
- Villars PS, Veazie MQ, Berger JS, Vu QM, Campbell-McAdory AA, Frenzel JC, Kee SS. Adaptation of the OODA Loop to Reduce Postoperative Nausea and Vomiting in a High-Risk Outpatient Oncology Population. Journal of PeriAnesthesia Nursing 23(2):78-86, 2008.
- Nates JL, Aravindan N, Hirsh-Ginsberg C, Sizer KC, Kee S, Nguyen AT, Chen K, Shaw A, Price K.. Critically ill cancer patients are not consistently hypercoagulable after craniotomy. Neurocritical Care 7(3):211-216, 2007.
- Guerrero MA, Wray CJ, Kee SS, Berger J, Perrier ND.. Minimally Invasive Parathyroidectomy complicated by pneumothoraces: a report of four cases. Journal of Surgical Education 64(2):101-7, 2007.
- Khalil SN, Vije HN, KeeSS, Farag A, Hanna E Chuang AZ.. Presurgical caudal block attenuates stress response in children. Middle East Journal of Anesthesiology 18(2):391-400, 2005.
- Szmuk P, Kee S, Pivalizza EG, Warters RD, Abramson DC, Ezri T. Anaesthesia for magnetoencephalography in children with intractable seizures. Paediatric Anaesthesia 13(9):811-7, 2003. PMID: 14617123.
- Khalil SN, Vije HN, Kee SS, Farag A, Hanna E, Chuang AZ. A pediatric trial comparing midazolam/syrpalta mixture with premixed midazolam syrup (Roche). Paediatric Anaesthesia 13(3):205-9, 2003. PMID: 12641681.
- Pivalizza EG, Pivalizza PJ, Kee S, Gottschalk LI, Szmuk P, Abramson DC. Sonoclot analysis in healthy children. Anesthesia and Analgesia 92(4):904-6, 2001. PMID: 11273922.
- Pivalizza EG, Pivalizza PJ, Gottschalk LI, Kee S, Szmuk P, Abramson DC. Celite-activated thrombelastography in children. Journal of Clinical Anesthesia 13(1):20-3, 2001. PMID: 11259890.
- Drake RE, Anwar Z, Kee SS, Gabel JC. Intestinal lymphatic pressure increases during intravenous infusions in awake sheep. American Journal of Physiology: Regulatory, Integrative and Comparative Physiology 265(3.2):R 703-705, 1993.
- Manyande A, Chayen S, Priyakumar, Smith CCT, Hayes M, Higgings D, Kee S, Phillips S, Salmon P. Anxiety and endocrine response to surgery: Paradoxical effects of preoperative relaxation training. Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology - Journal of Psychosomatic Medicine 54(3):275-287, 1992.
- Kee SS, Ramage CM, Mendel P, Bristow AS. Interhospital transfers by helicopter: the first 50 patients of the Careflight project. Journal of the Royal Society of Medicine 85(1):29-31, 1992. PMID: 1548652.
- Ramage CM, Kee SS, Bristow A. A new portable oxygen system using liquid oxygen. Anaesthesia 46(5):395-7, 1991. PMID: 2035791.
- Kee SS, Sedgwick J, Bristow A. Interhospital transfer of a patient undergoing extracorporeal carbon dioxide removal. British Journal of Anaesthesia 66(1):141-4, 1991. PMID: 1900013.
- Vyvyan HA, Kee SS, Bristow A. A survey of secondary transfers of head-injured patients in the South of England. Anaesthesia 46(9):728-731, 1991.
- Ramage, C; Kee, S; Bristow, A. Interhospital transfer of the critically ill patient by helicopter. British Journal of Hospital Medicine 43(2):147-8, 1990.
- Kee, S, Ramage C, Bristow A. Bart's careflight: a truly nationwide service. British Journal of Hospital Medicine 44(4):244, 1990.
Manuals, Teaching Aids, Other Teaching Publications
- Kee SS. PONV Protocol instituted at the Ambulatory Clinical Building Operating Suite, an evidence-based internal document describing the rationale of the protocol in detail, 2005.
- Donisan T, Balanescu DV, Iliescu G, Liu V, Agha A, Cerny J, Rebello E, Goravanchi F, Kee S, Kowalski AM, Iliescu C, Tsai J.. Periprocedural Takotsubo Stress Cardiomyopathy: “Bad News” in Cancer Patients?. Evidence Based Perioperative Medicine Conference, 2018.
- French K, Wargo J, Aloia T, Rahlfs T, Kowalski A, Kee S, Cerny J, Rebello E. The International Society for Quality in Health Care, 34th Conference, London, England, November 1-4, 2017. Enhancing NPO Compliance with Clear Content, Timing and Communication Maintains Patient Safety and improves OR Utilization: A Patient Education Intervention. The International Society for Quality in Health Care The International Society for Quality in Health Care, 2017.
- Tsai, J; Cerny, J; Kee, S: Goravanchi, F; Rebello, E; Kowalski, A; Iliescu, C. Perioperative Takotsubo Syndrome: Are Breast Cancer Patients at Higher Risk?. 6th World Congress on Breast Cancer Therapy, San Francisco Breast Cancer Current Research, Volume 2, Issue 5, 2017(5), 2017. e-Pub 2017.
- Cerny J, Kowalski A, Kee S, Goravanchi F, Rebello E.. Paravertebral Block in a Male Patient for total Mastectomy. Canada Anesthesiologists’ Society Annual Meeting., 2016.
- Cerny,MD, Rebello,MD, Kee,MD, Goravanchi,DO, Kowalski,MD. PERI-OPERATIVE TAKOTSUBO CARDIOMYOPATHY: A CASE SERIES. 11th International Congress on Coronary Artery Disease, 2015.
- Rebello E, MD, Kowalski A, MD, Goravanchi F, DO, Cerny J, MD, French K, MD, Hernandez M, MD, Ruiz J, MD, Kee S, MD. The effect of Dexmedetomidine on Postoperative Intravenous Opioid and Antiemetic Administration in Patients Undergoing Thyroidectomy. SIMPAR, 2015.
- Elizabeth Rebello MD, Alicia Kowalski MD, Farzin Goravanchi MD, Katy French MD, Nancy Mitchell-Mollard CRNA, Mike Hernandez M.S., Alexis Barbosa MS, Spencer Kee MD. Reducing Cancer Care Costs by Using Time Driven Activity Based Costing in Process Mapping and Utilizing a Fast Track Process for Patients Undergoing Port-A Cath Placement Under Monitored Anesthesia Care in the Ambulatory Care Setting. American Society of Anesthesiologists Meeting, New Orleans LA, 2014.
- Kowalski,P., French,MD, K., Goravanchi,DO, F., Kee,MD, S., Rebello,MD, E., Mitchell-Mollard,CRNA, N., Chiang,MD, J.. Concominant Acustimulation of P6 andTH-5 Prevents PONV. The 9th Annual Peri-Operative Medicine Summit, Scottsdale, AZ, 2014.
- A Van Meter, A Kowalski, F Goravanchi, SS Kee, K Cleckler-Hughes, K Popat. Ileostomy takedown in the outpatient setting: Facilitated by the paravertebral block as a perioperative Intervention. Annals of Oncology 24(suppl 4):iv113, 2013.
- Goravanchi F, Nguyen L, Kowalski A, French K, Rebello E, Kee S. Anesthesia for Outpatient Breast Surgery in Patients Who Are Not General Anesthesia Candidates. American Society of Anesthesiologists Meeting, Washington, D.C, 2012.
- French K, Kee S, Andrabi T, Kowalski A, Veira R, Smith T. Increasing Efficiency in the Anesthesia Assessment Clinic (AAC) using New, Smarter, Digital Technology. American Society of Anesthesiologists Annual Meeting Abstract No A361 Washington D.C, 2012.
- Rebello E, Kee S, Kowalski A, Berger J, Harun N, Goravanchi F. Reducing Errors in Patient Electronic Medical Records in the Perioperative Environment. Texas Medical Association Annual Meeting, San Antonio, Texas, May 17-18, 2013 113(S-01-S-493):S-202, 2012.
- Rebello E, Kee S, Kowalski A, Berger J, Harun N, Goravanchi F. Barcoding: A Process Improvement Initiative to Reduce Errors in Opening Patient Electronic Medical Records in the Perioperative Environment. Association of American Medical Colleges 2012 Integrating Quality Meeting: Collaborating for Care, 2012.
- Rebello E, Kee S, Kowalski A, Berger J, Harun N, Goravanchi F. Reducing Errors in Patient Electronic Medical Records in the Perioperative Environment. Anesthesia and Analgesia S-202 - International Anesthesia Research Society Annual Meeting-Boston, MA, 2012.
- Rebello E, Cowles C, Kee S, Hernandez M, Sapire K. Evaluation and Implementation of an Automated Medication Dispensing System into Anesthesia Worksites at a Large University Hospital. International Anesthesia Research Society, Honolulu HI, 2010.
- Kee SS, Berger JS, Joe Ensor J, Ruiz JR, Frenzel JC.. Sustained Performance Improvement in PONV Reduction Using Team-Based Model at an Ambulatory Center. American Society of Anesthesiologists Annual Meeting, Orlando, Florida, 2008.
- Frenzel JC, Sapire K, Shook KA, Ruiz JR, Kee SS.. Adoption of Digital Documentation for Perioperative Notes in an Academic Practice. American Society of Anesthesiologists Annual Meeting, Orlando, Florida, 2008.
- Frenzel JC, Sapire K, Kee SS, Owen M, Ruiz JR.. Creation of a Focused Data Application to Track the Incidence of PONV in a University Practice. American Society of Anesthesiologists Annual Meeting, Orlando, Florida, 2008.
- Berger JS, Kee SS, Parris RN, Ruiz JR, Goravanchi F, Frenzel JC. The Addition of Aprepitant to a three-drug Regime Reduces the Late PONV Rate in the High Risk Patient to One with a Lower Risk. International Anesthesia Research Society, 82nd Clinical and Scientific Congress, San Francisco CA, March 28- April 1, 2008, 2008.
- Boughey JC, Goravanchi F, Parris RN, Kee SS, Frenzel JC, Kowalski A, Hunt KK, Ames FC, Kuerer HM, Lucci A. A Prospective Randomized Trial of Paravertebral Block for Breast Surgery. American Society of Breast Surgeons, 9th Annual Meeting, New York NY, April 30- May 4, 2008, 2008.
- Mano Selvan, Bernhard Riedel, Spencer Kee, Garry J. Brydges, John Frenzel and Joseph R. Ruiz.. Predictors of Postoperative Nausea and Vomiting in the Surgical Oncology Patient Population. 2007 Annual Meeting of the American Society of Anesthesiologists, San Francisco, California, October 13-17, 2007, 2007.
- Joseph R. Ruiz, Mano S. Selvan, Spencer Kee, Garry J. Brydges, John Frenzel and Bernhard Riedel. Comparative analysis of PONV risk within the Oncology Surgical Population. 2007 Annual Meeting of the American Society of Anesthesiologists, San Francisco, California, October 13-17, 2007, 2007.
- Boughey JC, Goravanchi F, Hunt KK, Frenzel J, Kee S, Parris RN, Kuerer HM, Ames FC, Lucci A. Paravertebral Block in Breast Surgery: Initial Experience. American Society of Breast Surgeons, 8th Annual Meeting, Phoenix AZ, May 1-5, 2007, 2007.
- Villars P, Campbell-McAdory A, Berger J, Veazie M, Kee S. Adaptation of the OODA Loop to Reduce PONV. Sigma Theta Tau 17th International Nursing Research Congress, Montreal, Canada, July 20, 2006, 2006.
- Nates JL, Kee S, Nguyen AT, Chen K, Natarajan A, Shaw AD, Hirsch-Ginsberg C, Sizer KC, Price KJ.. Critically Ill Cancer Patients are not Consistently Hypercoagulable after Craniotomy. Society of Critical Care Medicine, San Francisco CA. January 2006. Published in Critical Care Medicine Vol 33 No.12 (supplement 192M), 2006.
- Khalil SN, Vije H, Kee SS, Farag A, Hanna E, Chuang A. In children, ropivicaine 0.1% caudal anesthesia does not provide adequate intra-or-postoperative pain relief. Anesthesia and Analgesia, Abstract Supplement, 2000.
- Kee SS, Szmuk P, Mina MM, Katz J, Ezri T. Anesthesia Provision for Magnetoencephalography (MEG). Anesthesiology 93:3A A1257, 2000.
- Kee SS, Rebello E, Purugganan R, Heir Singh J. Anesthesia Monitoring Devices. In: Biomedical Technology and Devices. 2nd Ed. CRC Press LLC, 479-499, 2014.
- Kee SS. Principles of Medical ICU Oncology. In: Acute Care of the Cancer Patient. 1st Ed. Taylor and Francis, 537-544, 2005.
- Kee SS. Anesthesia/Monitoring Devices. In: Biomedical Technology and Devices Handbook. 1st Ed. CRC Press LLC: Boca Raton, FL 33487, USA, pp. 22.1- 22.9, 2003.
Letters to the Editor
- Rebello E, Berger J, Kee S. New Issues with Propofol; Reader Raises Two Propofol Concerns. Anesthesia Patient Safety Newsletter 27: 26, 2012.
- Kee SS, Frenzel JC, Goravanchi F, Laman K,. Vaporizer- selection System Malfunction in the Drager Narkomed 2C Machine. Anesthesiology 104: 563-4, 2006.