About Dr. Huang
Dr. Huang earned his BS in chemical engineering from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology and his medical degree from the University of Pennsylvania. He completed both his radiology residency and vascular interventional radiology fellowship at Duke University. Subsequently, Dr. Huang joined the MD Anderson faculty in 2011. He is board certified by the American Board of Radiology and holds a Certificate of Added Qualification in Interventional Radiology.
Associate Professor, Department of Interventional Radiology, Division of Diagnostic Imaging, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
Portal venous embolization
IVC filter use in patients with cancer
Percutaneous enteric access
Resorbable intravascular medical devices
Portal venous embolization
Radiofrequency ablation for liver malignancy
Cryoablation for benign and malignant bone tumors
Treatment of cancer with arterial embolization
Percutaneous enteric access (esophagus, stomach, and small bowel)
Interventions for venous thromboembolic disease
Adrenal venous sampling for hyperaldosteronism
|2005||University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, PA, USA, MD, Medicine|
|1999||Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, MA, USA, BS, Chemical Engineering|
|2010-2011||Clinical Fellowship, Interventional Radiology, Duke University, Durham, NC|
|2006-2010||Clinical Residency, Diagnostic Radiology, Duke University, Durham, NC|
|2005-2006||Clinical Internship, Internal Medicine, Pennsylvania Hospital, Philadelphia, PA|
|2010||The American Board of Radiology|
Assistant Professor, Department of Department of Interventional Radiology, Division of Diagnostic Imaging, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2013 - 2017
Assistant Professor, Department of Diagnostic Radiology, Division of Diagnostic Imaging, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2011 - 2013
Institutional Committee Activities
Member, Sedation and Procedures Committee, 2019 - Present
Member, Patient Experience Committee, 2019 - Present
|2012||Certificate of Added Qualification in Vascular and Interventional Radiology, American Board of Radiology|
- Kuban JD, Tam AL, Huang SY, Ensor JE, Philip AS, Chen GJ, Ahrar J, Murthy R, Avritscher R, Madoff DC, Mahvash A, Ahrar K, Wallace MJ, Nachiappan AC, Gupta S. The effect of needle gauge on the risk of pneumothorax and chest tube placement after percutaneous computed tomographic (CT)-guided lung biopsy. Cardiovasc Intervent Radiol 38(6):1595-602, 2015. e-Pub 2015. PMID: 25920917.
- Huang SY, Ahrar K, Gupta S, Wallace MJ, Ensor JE, Krishnamurthy S, Matin SF. Safety and diagnostic accuracy of percutaneous biopsy in upper tract urothelial carcinoma. BJU Int 115(4):625-32, 2015. e-Pub 2014. PMID: 24905868.
- Singhana B, Chen A, Slattery P, Yazdi IK, Qiao Y, Tasciotti E, Wallace M, Huang S, Eggers M, Melancon MP, Huang, SY]. Infusion of iodine-based contrast agents into poly(p-dioxanone) as a radiopaque resorbable IVC filter. J Mater Sci Mater Med 26(3):124, 2015. e-Pub 2015. PMID: 25690619.
- Mise Y, Aloia TA, Conrad C, Huang SY, Wallace MJ, Vauthey JN. Volume regeneration of segments 2 and 3 after right portal vein embolization in patients undergoing two-stage hepatectomy. J Gastrointest Surg 19(1):133-41, 2015. e-Pub 2014. PMID: 25091849.
- Huang SY, Aloia TA, Shindoh J, Ensor J, Shaw CM, Loyer EM, Vauthey JN, Wallace MJ. Efficacy and safety of portal vein embolization for two-stage hepatectomy in patients with colorectal liver metastasis. J Vasc Interv Radiol 25(4):608-17, 2014. e-Pub 2013. PMID: 24315549.
- Huang SY, Abdelsalam ME, Harmoush S, Ensor JE, Chetta JA, Hwang KP, Stafford RJ, Madoff DC, Avritscher R. Evaluation of liver fibrosis and hepatic venous pressure gradient with MR elastography in a novel swine model of cirrhosis. J Magn Reson Imaging 39(3):590-7, 2014. e-Pub 2013. PMID: 24532376.
- Pham JD, Huang SY, Sabir SH, Huynh T, Wallace MJ. Celect filter penetration of aorta and lumbar artery. J Vasc Interv Radiol 25(3):487-90, 2014. PMID: 24581474.
- Shindoh J, Tzeng CW, Aloia TA, Curley SA, Huang SY, Mahvash A, Gupta S, Wallace MJ, Vauthey JN. Safety and efficacy of portal vein embolization before planned major or extended hepatectomy: an institutional experience of 358 patients. J Gastrointest Surg 18(1):45-51, 2014. e-Pub 2013. PMID: 24129824.
- Shindoh J, Tzeng CW, Aloia TA, Curley SA, Zimmitti G, Wei SH, Huang SY, Gupta S, Wallace MJ, Vauthey JN. Portal vein embolization improves rate of resection of extensive colorectal liver metastases without worsening survival. Br J Surg 13(1000):1777-1783, 2013. PMID: 24227364.
- Shindoh J, Tzeng CW, Aloia TA, Curley SA, Zimmitti G, Wei SH, Huang SY, Mahvash A, Gupta S, Wallace MJ, Vauthey JN. Optimal future liver remnant in patients treated with extensive preoperative chemotherapy for colorectal liver metastases. Ann Surg Oncol 20(8):2493-500, 2013. e-Pub 2013. PMID: 23377564.
- Shindoh J, Vauthey JN, Zimmitti G, Curley SA, Huang SY, Mahvash A, Gupta S, Wallace MJ, Aloia TA. Analysis of the efficacy of portal vein embolization for patients with extensive liver malignancy and very low future liver remnant volume, including a comparison with the associating liver partition with portal vein ligation for staged hepatectomy approach. J Am Coll Surg 217(1):126-33, 2013. e-Pub 2013. PMID: 23632095.
- Huang SY, Kim CY, Miller MJ, Gupta RT, Lessne ML, Horvath JJ, Boll DT, Evans PD, Befera NT, Krishnan P, Chan JL, Merkle EM. Abdominopelvic and lower extremity deep venous thrombosis: evaluation with contrast-enhanced MR venography with a blood-pool agent. AJR Am J Roentgenol 201(1):208-14, 2013. PMID: 23789677.
- Amini B, Huang SY, Tsai J, Benveniste MF, Robledo HH, Lee EY. Primary lung and large airway neoplasms in children: current imaging evaluation with multidetector computed tomography. Radiol Clin North Am 51(4):637-57, 2013. PMID: 23830790.
- Shindoh J, Truty MJ, Aloia TA, Curley SA, Zimmitti G, Huang SY, Mahvash A, Gupta S, Wallace MJ, Vauthey JN. Kinetic growth rate after portal vein embolization predicts posthepatectomy outcomes: toward zero liver-related mortality in patients with colorectal liver metastases and small future liver remnant. J Am Coll Surg 216(2):201-9, 2013. e-Pub 2012. PMID: 23219349.
- Huang SY, Nelson RC, Miller MJ, Kim CY, Lawson JH, Husarik DB, Boll DT. Assessment of vascular contrast and depiction of stenoses in abdominopelvic and lower extremity vasculature: comparison of dual-energy MDCT with digital subtraction angiography. Acad Radiol 19(9):1149-57, 2012. e-Pub 2012. PMID: 22743115.
- Huang SY, Levine MS, Rubesin SE, Katzka DA, Laufer I. Large hiatal hernia with floppy fundus: clinical and radiographic findings. AJR Am J Roentgenol 188(4):960-964, 2007. PMID: 17377030.
- Huang SY, Levine MS, Raper SE. Gastrocolic fistula with migration of feeding tube into transverse colon as a complication of percutaneous endoscopic gastrostomy. AJR Am J Roentgenol 184(3 Suppl):S65-S66, 2005. PMID: 15728025.
- Huang SY, Hamlin AV, Odisio BC, Gupta S, Ahrar K, Kroll M. Efficacy of an IVC filter retrieval algorithm in a cancer population. J Vasc Interv Radiol 26(2S):S64, 2015.
- Ahrar J, Ensor Jr. J, Mahvash A, Sabir S, Steele JR, McRae SE, Avritscher R, Huang SY, Odisio BC, Murthy R, Ahrar K, Wallace MJ, Gupta S. Efficacy of a self-expanding tract sealant device in the reduction of pneumothorax and chest tube placement rates after percutaneous lung biopsy: a matched controlled study using propensity score analysis. J Vasc Interv Radiol 26(2S):S149, 2015.
- Lee P, Singhana B, Qiao Y, Chen A, Yazdi IK, Wallace MJ, Huang SY, Eggers M, Melancon MP. Gold nanoparticle-infused polydioxanone as a radiopaque IVC filter. J Vasc Interv Radiol 26(2S):S112, 2015.
- Huynh TT, Huang SY, Mehran R, Ahrar K. Multidisciplinary care includes endovascular abdominal aortic aneurysm repair (EVAR) for cancer patients and survivors in a tertiary referral cancer center. Society for Clinical Vascular Surgery 42nd Annual Symposium, 2014.
- Huang SY, Odisio BC, Sabir S. Ensor J, Knoll M, Wallace MJ, Gupta S. Clinical factors that predict 6 month mortality for patients with solid malignancy receiving IVC filters. J Vasc Interv Radiol 25(3 Supplement):S159-S160, 2014.
- Huang SY, Abdelsalam ME, Harmoush S, Ensor J, Chetta J, Hwang K, Stafford J, Madoff D, Avritscher R. Evaluation of liver fibrosis and hepatic venous pressure gradient with magnetic resonance elastography in a novel swine model of cirrhosis. Proceedings of the International Society for Magnetic Resonance in Medicine (ISMRM) 21st Annual Meeting and Exhibition 2013, 2013.
- Huang SY, Aloia T, Ensor J, Loyer E, Shaw C, Vauthey JN, Wallace MJ. Portal vein embolization for two-stage hepatectomy in patients with colorectal liver metastasis: safety, efficacy, and value of including segment 4. J Vasc Interv Radiol Supplement 24(4):S96, 2013.
- Gadani S, Huang SY, Wallace MJ, Avritscher R, Odisio BC. Calcium arterial stimulation venous sampling for preoperative localization of occult insulinomas. J Vasc Interv Radiol Supplement 24(4):S164 - S165, 2013.
- Zvavanjanja R, Jones AK, Ensor J, Abdelsalam ME, Huang SY, Gupta S, Tam AL. Standardization of Computed Tomographic (CT) technique used during biopsy procedures results in overall patient dose reduction regardless of biopsy site. Proceedings of the RSNA 98th Scientific General Assembly and Annual Meeting Program Book:190, 2012.
- Jones K, Ensor J, Zvavanjanja R, Pomares, Abdelsalam ME, Harris-Keenan, Huang SY, Gupta, Tam AL. Creation and implementation of a standard work for computed tomography (CT)-guided biopsy procedures. Proceedings of the RSNA 98th Scientific General Assembly and Annual Meeting Program Book, 2012.
- Boll DT, Huang SY, Miller MJ, Kim CY. Assessment of vascular contrast and depiction of stenoses in abdominopelvic and lower extremity vasculature: comparison of dual-energy MDCT with digital subtraction angiography. Proceedings of the Radiological Society of North America (RSNA) 97th Scientific Assembly and Annual Meeting 2011:74, 2011.
- Kim CY, Huang SY, Gupta R, Miller M, Lessne M, Krishnan P, Befera N, Evans P, Merkle EM. Qualitative and quantitative evaluation of contrast-enhanced MR venography (MRV) of the lower extremities with a blood pool agent compared to noncontrast MRV. Proceedings of the International Society for Magnetic Resonance in Medicine Annual Meeting, 2011, 2011.
- Huang SY, Lessne ML, Miller M, Gupta RT, Krishnan P, Evans P, Befera N, Merkle E, Smith T, Kim CY. Comparison between noncontrast gradient recalled echo (GRE) and contrast-enhanced MRV with blood pool agent to detect deep vein thrombosis (DVT). J Vasc Interv Radiol Supplement 22(3):S51-S51, 2011.
- Murthy R, Huang S, Thorunn H, Janku F. Phase 1 trial of image-guided oncolysis by clostridium Novyi-NT spore inoculation: early technical insights. J Vasc Interv Radiol.
- Huang SY, Paulson EK. Techniques of percutaneous tissue acquisition. In: Textbook of Gastrointestinal Radiology. 4th. Elsevier: Canada, 1239-1253, 2015.
- Christianson KL, Hoang PB, Huang SY, Lessne ML, Song AW, Merkle EM. Motion, Pulsation, and Other Artifacts. In: Duke Review of MRI Principles Case Review Series. Elsevier: Philadelphia, 127 - 150, 2012.
|Title:||Nanoparticle-Infused Radiopaque Absorbable Medical Device|
|Title:||Radiological Society of North America Research Seed Grant|
|Funding Source:||Radiological Society of North America (RSNA)|
|Title:||Center for Advanced Biomedical Imaging Pilot Project Program Grant|
|Funding Source:||MD Anderson Cancer Center|
|Title:||Society of Interventional Radiology Foundation Pilot Research Grant|
|Funding Source:||Society of Interventional Radiology|
|Title:||Diagnostic Imaging Clinical Research Committee Grant|
|Funding Source:||Diagnostic Imaging Clinical Research Committee|
|Title:||National Institutes of Health GRANT|
|Funding Source:||National Institutes of Health|