Sue-Hwa Lin, Ph.D.
Department of Translational Molecular Pathology, Division of Pathology-Lab Medicine Div
Present Title & Affiliation
Professor of Translational Molecular Pathology, Department of Translational Molecular Pathology, Division of Pathology/Lab Medicine, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
Professor of Genitourinary Oncology, Department of Genitourinary Oncology, Division of Medicine, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
The work in our lab focuses on the identification of proteins involved in the metastasis of prostate cancer cells to bone and the progression of prostate cancer in bone. Prostate cancer has a propensity to metastasize to bone and induce blastic bone lesions. Bi-directional interactions between prostate cancer cells and osteoblasts likely play important roles in the progression of prostate cancer in bone. We have used protein fractionation and proteomics approaches to identify, in bone marrow samples from prostate cancer patients, factors that may play significant roles in the progression of prostate cancer cells in bone. Several factors have been identified as potential regulators of prostate cancer bone metastasis, and their functional roles in prostate cancer bone metastasis are being investigated. We are also studying adhesion molecules that mediate the metastasis of prostate cancer cells to bone. Because these adhesion molecules likely provide a link between the metastatic prostate cancer cells and the bone, our studies may lead to the development of these adhesion molecules as markers for detecting circulating prostate cancer cells that can potentially colonize in bone. In addition, these studies may lead to new strategies for preventing prostate cancer metastasis to bone.
Education & Training
|1984||Brown University, Providence, RI, USA, PHD, Biology and Medicine|
|1979||National Taiwan University, Taipei, CHN, MS, Biochemical Sciences|
|1977||National Taiwan University, Taipei, CHN, BS, Pharmaceutical Sciences|
|1983-1988||Post-Doctoral Fellow, Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Harvard University, Cambridge, MA|
Experience & Service
Associate Professor, Department of Genitourinary Oncology, Division of Medicine, The University of Texas M. D. Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 1995 - 2000
Associate Professor, Department of Molecular Pathology, Division of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, The University of Texas M. D. Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 1994 - 2000
Member of Graduate Faculty, The University of Texas Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences, Houston, TX, 1989 - Present
Assistant Professor, Department of Translational Molecular Pathology, Division of Pathology/Lab Medicine, The University of Texas M. D. Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 1988 - 1994
Research Associate, Department of Professor Guido Guidotti's Laboratory, Harvard University, Cambridge, MA, 1983 - 1988
Deputy Chair, Department of Translational Molecular Pathology, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2005 - 2012
- Ye X, Lee YC, Choueiri M, Chu K, Huang CF, Tsai WW, Kobayashi R, Logothetis CJ, Yu-Lee LY, Lin SH. Aberrant expression of katanin p60 in prostate cancer bone metastasis. Prostate 72(3):291-300, 2012. e-Pub 2011. PMID: 21681775.
- Gallick GE, Corn PG, Zurita AJ, Lin SH. Small-molecule protein tyrosine kinase inhibitors for the treatment of metastatic prostate cancer. Future Med Chem 4(1):107-19, 2012. PMID: 22168167.
- Lee YC, Cheng CJ, Bilen MA, Lu JF, Satcher RL, Yu-Lee LY, Gallick GE, Maity SN, Lin SH. BMP4 promotes prostate tumor growth in bone through osteogenesis. Cancer Res 71(15):5194-203, 2011. e-Pub 2011. PMID: 21670081.
- Huang CF, Lira C, Chu K, Bilen MA, Lee YC, Ye X, Kim SM, Ortiz A, Wu FL, Logothetis CJ, Yu-Lee LY, Lin SH. Cadherin-11 increases migration and invasion of prostate cancer cells and enhances their interaction with osteoblasts. Cancer Res 70(11):4580-4589, 2010. e-Pub 2010. PMID: 20484040.
- Lee Y-C, Cheng C-J, Huang M, Bilen MA, Ye X, Navone NM, Chu K, Kao H-H, Yu-Lee L-y, Wang Z, Lin SH. Androgen Depletion Upregulates Cadherin-11 Expression in Prostate Cancer. J. Path 221:68-76, 2010.
- Lee YC, Huang C-F, Murshed M, Chu K, Araujo JC, Ye X, deCrombrugghe B, Yu-Lee L-y, Gallick GE, and Lin SH. The Src Family Kinase/Abl Inhibitor Dasatinib Suppresses Proliferation and Enhances Differentiation of Osteoblasts. Oncogene 29:3196-3207, 2010.
- Zhang S, Wang J, Bilen MA, Lin SH, Stupp S and Satcher RL. Modulation of prostate cancer cell gene expression by cell-to-cell contact with bone marrow stromal cells or osteoblasts. Clinical & Experimental Metastasis 26:993-1004, 2009.
- Tu, S-M and Lin SH. Current trails using agents that target bone metastatsis in prostate cancer. Cancer J 14:35-39, 2008.
- Logothetis, C.J., Navone, N.M., and Lin SH. Understanding the Biology of Bone Metastases: Key to the Effective Treatment of Prostate Cancer. Clinical Cancer Res 14:1599-1602, 2008.
- Li ZG, Mathew P, Yang J, Starbuck MW, Zurita AJ, Liu J, Sikes C, Multani AS, Efstathiou E, Lopez A, Wang J, Fanning TV, Prieto VG, Kundra V, Vazquez ES, Troncoso P, Raymond AK, Logothetis CJ, Lin SH, Maity S and Navone NM. Androgen receptor-negative human prostate cancer cells induce osteogenesis in mice through FGF9-mediated mechanisms. J. Clin. Invest 118(8):2697-2710, 2008.
- Lin SH, Lee Y-C, Choueiri MB, Wen S, Mathew P, Ye X-C, Do K-A, Navone NM, Kim J, Tu S-M, Yu-Lee L-Y and Logothetis CJ. Soluble ErbB3 levels in bone marrow and plasma of men with prostate cancer. Clin. Cancer Res 14:3729-3736, 2008.
- Lin SH, Cheng C-J, Lee Y-C, Tsai W-W, Kim J, Pasqualini R, Arap W, Navone NM, Tu S-M, Hu M, Yu-Lee Y-Y, and Logothetis CJ. A 45-kDa ErbB3 secreted by prostate cancer cells promotes bone formation. Oncogene 27:5195-5203, 2008.
- Chu K, Cheng C-J, Ye X, Lee Y-C, Zurita AJ, Chen D-T, Yu-Lee L-Y, Zhang S, Yeh ET, Hu M C-T, Logothetis CJ, Lin SH. Cadherin-11 promotes the metastasis of prostate cancer cells to bone. Mol Cancer Res 6:1259-1267, 2008.
- Cheng C-J, Ye X-C, Vakar-Lopez F, Kim J, Tu S-M, Chen D-T, Navone NM, Yu-Lee L-Y, Lin SH, Hu MC. Bone microenvironment and androgen status modulate subcellular localization of ErbB3 in prostate cancer cells. Mol Cancer Res 5:675-684, 2007.
- Chen N, Ye X-C, Chu K, Navone NM, Sage EH, Yu-Lee L-Y, Logothetis C, Lin SH. A secreted isoform of ErbB3 promotes osteonectin expression in bone and enhances the invasiveness of prostate cancer cells. Cancer Res 67:6544-6548, 2007.
- Lee S-H, Kunz J, Lin SH, Yu-Lee L-Y.. 16-kDa prolactin inhibits endothelial cell migration by downregulating the Ras-Tiam1-Rac1-Pak1 signaling pathway. Cancer Research 67:11045-11053, 2007.
- Logothetis CJ, Lin SH. Osteoblasts in prostate cancer metastasis to bone. Nat Rev Cancer 5(1):21-8, 2005. PMID: 15630412.
- Lin S-H, Guidotti G. Purification and membrane proteins. In Methods in Enzymology. Guide to Protein Purification. Burgess, R. and Deutscher M. Editors 463:619-629, 2009.