About Dr. Piya
Sujan Piya, Ph.D., is an Instructor in the Department of Leukemia since 2015. Dr. Piya received his Ph.D. in Biochemistry and Molecular biology in 2009. Dr. Piya joined as a postdoctoral fellow in Department of Leukemia at the MD Anderson Cancer Center in 2014. He was trained as a postdoctoral fellow in Department of Neuro-Oncology and Leukemia at the MD Anderson Cancer Center under the mentorship of Dr.Juan Fueyo and Dr. Michael Andreeff/ Dr. Gautam Borthakur. Dr. Piya is actively involved in translational research work mainly to explore the involvement of epigenetic vulnerability, autophagy and stromal integrated signaling to maintenance of stem- and progenitor cells in cancer and understanding the drug adaptation/identify the target to enhance the drug sensitivity in cancer.
Present Title & Affiliation
Instructor, Department of Leukemia - Research, Division of Cancer Medicine, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
Education & Training
|2009||Chosun University, Kwangju, KOR, PHD, Biochemistry and Molecular Biology|
|2000||Tribhuvan University, Kathmandu, NPL, MSc, General Microbiology|
|1997||Tribhuvan University, Kathmandu, NPL, BSc, General Microbiology|
|2014-2015||Postdoctoral fellow, Leukemia, MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX|
|2010-2014||Postdoctoral fellow, Neuro-Oncology, MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX|
Honors & Awards
|2012||American Brain Tumor Association Basic Research Fellowship, American Brain Tumor Association|
- Piya S, Kornblau SM, Ruvolo VR, Mu H, Ruvolo PP, McQueen T, Davis RE, Hail N, Kantarjian H, Andreeff M, Borthakur G. Atg7 suppression enhances chemotherapeutic agent sensitivity and overcomes stroma-mediated chemoresistance in acute myeloid leukemia. Blood 128(9):1260-9, 2016. e-Pub 2016. PMID: 27268264.
- Klein SR, Piya S, Lu Z, Xia Y, Alonso MM, White EJ, Wei J, Gomez-Manzano C, Jiang H, Fueyo J. C-Jun N-terminal kinases are required for oncolytic adenovirus-mediated autophagy. Oncogene 34(41):5295-301, 2015. e-Pub 2015. PMID: 25619840.
- Borthakur G, Duvvuri S, Ruvolo V, Tripathi DN, Piya S, Burks J, Jacamo R, Kojima K, Ruvolo P, Fueyo-Margareto J, Konopleva M, Andreeff M. MDM2 Inhibitor, Nutlin 3a, Induces p53 Dependent Autophagy in Acute Leukemia by AMP Kinase Activation. PLoS One 10(10):e0139254, 2015. e-Pub 2015. PMID: 26440941.
- Piya S, Kim JY, Bae J, Seol DW, Moon AR, Kim TH. DUSP6 is a novel transcriptional target of p53 and regulates p53-mediated apoptosis by modulating expression levels of Bcl-2 family proteins. FEBS Lett 586(23):4233-40, 2012. e-Pub 2012. PMID: 23108049.
- Piya S, Moon AR, Song PI, Hiscott J, Lin R, Seol DW, Kim TH. Suppression of IRF4 by IRF1, 3, and 7 in Noxa expression is a necessary event for IFN-γ-mediated tumor elimination. Mol Cancer Res 9(10):1356-65, 2011. e-Pub 2011. PMID: 21816905.
- White EJ, Martin V, Liu JL, Klein SR, Piya S, Gomez-Manzano C, Fueyo J, Jiang H. Autophagy regulation in cancer development and therapy. Am J Cancer Res 1(3):362-372, 2011. e-Pub 2010. PMID: 21969237.
- Piya S, White EJ, Klein SR, Jiang H, McDonnell TJ, Gomez-Manzano C, Fueyo J. The E1B19K oncoprotein complexes with Beclin 1 to regulate autophagy in adenovirus-infected cells. PLoS One 6(12):e29467, 2011. e-Pub 2011. PMID: 22242123.
- Seo YW, Woo HN, Piya S, Moon AR, Oh JW, Yun CW, Kim KK, Min JY, Jeong SY, Chung S, Song PI, Jeong SY, Choi EK, Seol DW, Kim TH. The cell death-inducing activity of the peptide containing Noxa mitochondrial-targeting domain is associated with calcium release. Cancer Res 69(21):8356-65, 2009. e-Pub 2009. PMID: 19826054.
- Shin JN, Piya S, Yun CW, Seol DW, Seo YW, Moon AR, Kim TH. Homer1 regulates the susceptibility to TRAIL. Exp Cell Res 315(13):2249-55, 2009. e-Pub 2009. PMID: 19376111.
- Park SY, Shin JN, Woo HN, Piya S, Moon AR, Seo YW, Seol DW, Kim TH. DOBI is cleaved by caspases during TRAIL-induced apoptotic cell death. BMB Rep 42(8):511-5, 2009. PMID: 19712588.
- Han SJ, Ahn TK, Choi HS, Shin JN, Piya S, Kim TH. TRAIL-induced cell death and caspase-8 activation are inhibited by cisplatin but not carboplatin. J Gynecol Oncol 20(2):113-6, 2009. e-Pub 2009. PMID: 19590723.
- Lee MR, Shin JN, Moon AR, Park SY, Hong G, Lee MJ, Yun CW, Seol DW, Piya S, Bae J, Oh JW, Kim TH. A novel protein, MUDENG, induces cell death in cytotoxic T cells. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 370(3):504-8, 2008. e-Pub 2008. PMID: 18395520.
- Piya S, Andreeff M, Borthakur G. Targeting autophagy to overcome chemoresistance in acute myleogenous leukemia. Autophagy 13(1):1-2, 2017. e-Pub 2016. PMID: 27797294.
- Sujan Piya, Philip Lorenzi, Teresa McQueen, Eric Davis, Yimin Qian, Michael Andreeff, Gautam Borthakur. ARV-825, a BRD4 Inhibitor, Leads to Sustained Degradation of BRD4 with Broad Activity Against Acute Myeloid Leukemia and Overcomes Stroma Mediated Resistance by Modulating Chemokine Receptor, Cell Adhesion and Metabolic Targets. Proceedings of the Society of Hematologic Oncology 2016 Annual Meeting, Houston, TX, 2016.
- Sujan Piya, , Vivian R Ruvolo , Peter P. Ruvolo , Richard E. Davis, Zhiqiang Wang, Teresa McQueen, Wendy D Schober, Michael Andreeff and Gautam Borthakur. Ablation of Autophagy-Related E1 Ligase Atg7 Primes Acute Myelogenous Leukemia Cells to Apoptosis, Sensitizes to Chemotherapy and Overcomes Stroma Mediated Protection. 56th ASH Annual Meeting and Exposition (December 6-9, 2014) in San Francisco, CA, 2014, 2014.
- Piya S, Jiang H, Klein SR, Yung WKA, Sawaya R, Gomez-Manzano C, Fueyo J. Oncolytic adenoviruses modulate autophagy in cancer cells via sumoylation of LC3. Proceedings of the 105th Annual Meeting of the American Association for Cancer Research (AACR) ; 2014 Apr 5-19; San Diego, CA, 2014, 2014.
- Piya S, White E, Klein S, Jiang H, Lang F, Yung WKA, Gomez-Manzano C, Fueyo J. Delta-24-RGD modulates autophagy in glioma cells by activation of the Beclin1/PI3KC3 complexes. 16th Annual Meeting of the Society for Neuro-Oncology/AANS/CNS Section on Tumors, Nov 17-20, 2011, Orange County, CA):iii70, 2011, 2011.
- Piya S, White EJ, Jiang H, Klein SR, McDonnell TJ, Yung WKA, Gomez-Manzano C, Fueyo J. The oncoprotein E1B19K is part of the Beclin-1 interactome in adenovirus-infected cells. Proceedings of the 102th Annual Meeting of the American Association for Cancer Research; 2011 Apr 2-6; Orlando, FL, 2011, 2011.
- Balvers RK, Gomez-Manzano C, Jiang H, Piya S, Klein SR, Lamfers MLM, Dirven CMF, Fueyo J. Advances in Oncolytic Virotherapy for Brain Tumors. In: Gene Therapy of Cancer. In: 3rd. Ed(s) Lattime EC, Gerson SL. Elsevier, 137-152, 2014, 2014.
Grant & Contract Support
|Title:||BRD4 Protein Targeting Chimera as Therapeutic Option in T Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia|