Meet Sujit Prabhu, M.D.
About Dr. Prabhu
Dr. Sujit Prabhu is a Professor in the Department of Neurosurgery at UT MD Anderson Cancer Center and an Adjunct Professor at the Baylor College of Medicine in Houston. He is board certified with the American Board of Neurological Surgeons (ABNS). He is a very active clinically and has published at least 75 articles in peer-reviewed journals. His clinical interests are in the use of multimodality intraoperative monitoring techniques for the resection of brain tumors. He has extensive experience with the use of the intraoperative MRI (iMRI) as a tool for the maximal safe resection of brain tumors. He has published extensively on this subject and has advanced electrophysiological techniques in iMRI for tumor resection. He has been an invited speaker at numerous national and international conferences. He is a Fellow of the American Associations of Neurological Surgeons (FAANS) and is an active member of the Congress of Neurological Surgeons (CNS) and the Society of Neuro-Oncology (SNO).
Professor, Department of Neurosurgery, Division of Surgery, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
Professor, Department of Neurosurgery, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX
|1984||Government Medical College Bellary, Karnataka, IND, MD, Medicine and Surgery|
|2001-2002||Clinical Fellowship, Neurosurgical Oncology, Department of Neurosurgery, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX|
|1996-2001||Resident, Neurosurgery, Medical College of Virginia, Richmond, VA|
|1994-1996||Research Fellowship, Division of Neurosurgery, Medical College of Virginia, Richmond, VA|
|1991-1991||Research Fellowship, Neurosurgery, Derriford Hospital, Plymouth|
|1990-1991||Senior House Officer, Spinal Injuries, Lodge Moor Hospital, Sheffield|
|1989-1990||Senior House Officer, Surgery, Derriford Hospital, Plymouth|
|1988-1989||Senior House Officer, Orthopedics and Trauma/E.R, Morriston Hospital, Swansea|
|1987-1987||Resident Medical Officer, General Surgery, Medicine, and Emergency Medicine, Vinaya Clinic and Nursing Home, Mangalore|
|1985-1986||Senior House Officer, General Surgery, General Surgery, Fr. Muller's Hospital, Mangalore|
|1984-1985||Intern, Rotating Internship, Fr. Muller's Hospital, Mangalore|
|2007||American Board of Neurological Surgeons|
|1990||F.R.C.S., Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh|
Associate Professor, Department of Neurosurgery, Division of Surgery, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2008 - 2013
|2006||Excellence in Teaching Award, The University of Texas Center for Biomedical Engineering Summer Internship Program|
|2005||Award of Appreciation, The University of Texas Center for Biomedical Engineering Summer Internship Program|
- Shah KB, Hayman LA, Chavali LS, Hamilton JD, Prabhu SS, Wangaryattawanich P, Kumar VA, Kumar AJ. Glial Tumors in Brodmann Area 6: Spread Pattern and Relationships to Motor Areas. Radiographics 35(3):793-803, 2015. PMID: 25969935.
- Farnia B, Voong KR, Brown PD, Allen PK, Guha-Thakurta N, Prabhu SS, Rao G, Wang Q, Zhao Z, Mahajan A. Stereotactic radiosurgery for intraventricular brain metastases. J Neurosurg 121 Suppl:26-34, 2014. PMID: 25434934.
- Maldaun MV, Khawja SN, Levine NB, Rao G, Lang FF, Weinberg JS, Tummala S, Cowles CE, Ferson D, Nguyen AT, Sawaya R, Suki D, Prabhu SS. Awake craniotomy for gliomas in a high-field intraoperative magnetic resonance imaging suite: analysis of 42 cases. J Neurosurg 121(4):810-817, 2014. e-Pub 2014. PMID: 25105702.
- Shahar T, Rozovski U, Marko NF, Tummala S, Ziu M, Weinberg JS, Rao G, Kumar VA, Sawaya R, Prabhu SS. Preoperative Imaging to Predict Intraoperative Changes in Tumor-to-Corticospinal Tract Distance: An Analysis of 45 Cases Using High-Field Intraoperative Magnetic Resonance Imaging. Neurosurgery 75(1):23-30, 2014. PMID: 24618800.
- Kim BY, Jiang W, Beiko J, Prabhu SS, DeMonte F, Gilbert MR, Sawaya R, Aldape KD, Cahill DP, McCutcheon IE. Diagnostic discrepancies in malignant astrocytoma due to limited small pathological tumor sample can be overcome by IDH1 testing. J Neurooncol 118(2):405-12, 2014. e-Pub 2014. PMID: 24777756.
- Vabulas M, Kumar VA, Hamilton JD, Martinez JJ, Rao G, Sawaya R, Prabhu SS. Real-time atlas-based stereotactic neuronavigation. Neurosurgery 74(1):81-91, 2014. PMID: 24089050.
- Beiko J, Suki D, Hess KR, Fox BD, Cheung V, Cabral M, Shonka N, Gilbert MR, Sawaya R, Prabhu SS, Weinberg J, Lang FF, Aldape KD, Sulman EP, Rao G, McCutcheon IE, Cahill DP. IDH1 mutant malignant astrocytomas are more amenable to surgical resection and have a survival benefit associated with maximal surgical resection. Neuro Oncol 16(1):81-91, 2014. e-Pub 2013. PMID: 24305719.
- Kumar VA, Hamilton J, Hayman LA, Kumar AJ, Rao G, Weinberg JS, Sawaya R, Prabhu SS. Deformable Anatomic Templates (DAT) improve analysis of gliomas with minimal mass effect in eloquent areas. Neurosurgery 73(3):534-542, 2013. PMID: 23728447.
- Wu AS, Trinh VT, Suki D, Graham S, Forman A, Weinberg JS, McCutcheon IE, Prabhu SS, Heimberger AB, Sawaya R, Wang X, Qiao W, Hess KR, Lang FF. A prospective randomized trial of perioperative seizure prophylaxis in patients with intraparenchymal brain tumors. J Neurosurg(118 (4)):873-83, 2013. PMID: 23394340.
- Likhacheva A, Pinnix CC, Parikh NR, Allen PK, McAleer MF, Chiu MS, Sulman EP, Mahajan A, Guha-Thakurta N, Prabhu SS, Cahill DP, Luo D, Shiu AS, Brown PD, Chang EL. Predictors of survival in contemporary practice after initial radiosurgery for brain metastases. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 85(3):656-661, 2013. PMID: 22898384.
- Walker GV, Gilbert MR, Prabhu SS, Brown PD, McAleer MF. Temozolomide use in adult patients with gliosarcoma: an evolving clinical practice. J Neurooncol 112(3):83-90, 2013. e-Pub 2012. PMID: 23266723.
- Trinh VT, Fahim DK, Shah K, Tummala S, McCutcheon IE, Sawaya R, Suki D, Prabhu SS. Subcortical injury is an independent predictor of worsening neurological deficits following awake craniotomy procedures. Neurosurgery 72(2):160-169, 2013. PMID: 23147778.
- Likhacheva A, Pinnix CC, Parikh N, Allen PK, Guha-Thakurta N, McAleer M, Sulman EP, Mahajan A, Shiu A, Luo D, Chiu M, Brown PD, Prabhu SS, Chang EL. Validation of recursive partitioning analysis and diagnosis-specific graded prognostic assessment in patients treated initially with radiosurgery alone. J Neurosurg 117:38-44, 2012. PMID: 23205787.
- Dziurzynski K, Blas-Boria D, Suki D, Cahill DP, Prabhu SS, Puduvalli V, Levine N. Butterfly glioblastomas: a retrospective review and qualitative assessment of outcomes. J Neurooncol 109(3):553-563, 2012. PMID: 22806339.
- Hayman LA, Kumar VA, Hamilton J, Prabhu SS, Thiebaut de Schotten M, Al-Zubidi N, Pagani J, Vabulas M, Groneman M, Kumar AJ. Deformable anatomic templates embeds knowledge into patients brain images: Part 1. Construction and display. J Comput Assist Tomogr 36(3):354-359, 2012. PMID: 22592623.
- Hamilton JD, Kumar VA, Hayman LA, Prabhu SS, Hou P, Jackson EF, Groneman M, Pagani J, Vabulas M, Kumar AJ. Deformable anatomic templates embed knowledge into brain images: Part 2. Validation using functional magnetic resonance imaging of the motor hand. J Comput Assist Tomogr 36(2):280-4, 2012. PMID: 22446375.
- Schapiro R, Ferson D, Prabhu SS, Tummala S, Wefel J, Rao G. A technique for mapping cortical areas associated with speech arrest. Stereotact Funct Neurosurg 90(2):118-123, 2012. PMID: 22398728.
- Tsung AJ, Prabhu SS, Lei X, Chern JJ, Benjamin Bekel N, Shonka NA. Cerebellar glioblastoma: a retrospective review of 21 patients at a single institution. J Neurooncol 105(3):552-562, 2011. PMID: 21643841.
- Xu J, Sampath D, Lang FF, Prabhu S, Rao G, Fuller GN, Liu Y, Puduvalli VK. Vorinostat modulates cell cycle regulatory proteins in glioma cells and human glioma slice cultures. J Neurooncol 105(2):241-51, 2011. PMID: 21598070.
- Dziurzynski K, Wei J, Qiao W, Hatiboglu MA, Kong LY, Wu A, Wang Y, Cahill D, Levine N, Prabhu S, Rao G, Sawaya R, Heimberger AB. Glioma-associated cytomegalovirus mediates subversion of the monocyte lineage to a tumor propagating phenotype. Clin Cancer Res 17(14):4642-9, 2011. PMID: 21490182.
- Armstrong TS, Prabhu S, Aldape K, Hossan B, Kang S, Childress A, Tolentino L, Gilbert MR. A case of soft tissue metastasis from glioblastoma and review of the literature. J Neurooncol 103(1):167-172, 2011. PMID: 20809248.
- Levin VA, Bidaut L, Hou P, Kumar AJ, Wefel JS, Bekele BN, Grewal J, Prabhu S, Loghin M, Gilbert MR, Jackson EF. Randomized double-blind placebo-controlled trial of bevacizumab therapy for radiation necrosis of the central nervous system. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 79(5):1487-95, 2011. PMID: 20399573.
- Shonka NA, Armstrong TS, Prabhu SS, Childress A, Choi S, Langford LA, Gilbert MR. Atypical teratoid/rhabdoid tumors in adults: a case report and treatment-focused review. J Clin Med Res 3(2):85-92, 2011. PMID: 21811535.
- Prabhu SS, Gasco J, Tummala S, Weinberg JS, Rao G. Intraoperative magnetic resonance imaging-guided tractography with integrated monopolar subcorical functional mapping for resection of brain tumors. J Neurosurg 114(3):719-726, 2011. PMID: 20964594.
- Hassaneen W, Levine NB, Suki D, Salaskar AL, de Moura Lima A, McCutcheon IE, Prabhu SS, Lang FF, DeMonte F, Rao G, Weinberg JS, Wildrick DM, Aldape KD, Sawaya R. Multiple craniotomies in the management of multifocal and multicentric glioblastoma. Clinical article. J Neurosurg 114(3):576-84, 2011. PMID: 20690813.
- Liu Y, Lang F, Xie X, Prabhu S, Xu J, Sampath D, Aldape K, Fuller G, Puduvalli VK. Efficacy of adenovirally expressed soluble TRAIL in human glioma organotypic slice culture and glioma xenografts. Cell Death Dis 2:e121, 2011. PMID: 21368892.
- Prabhu SS, Bruner JM. Large oculomotor schwannoma presenting as a parasellar mass: A case report and literature review. Surg Neurol Int 1(15):15, 2010. PMID: 20657696.
- Hatiboglu MA, Weinberg JS, Suki D, Tummala S, Rao G, Sawaya R, Prabhu SS. Utilization of intraoperative motor mapping in glioma surgery with high field intraoperative magnetic resonance imaging. Stereotact Funct Neurosurg 88(6):345-352, 2010. PMID: 20733348.
- Hatiboglu MA, Weinberg JS, Suki D, Rao G, Prabhu SS, Shah K, Jackson E, Sawaya R. Impact of intraoperative high-field magnetic resonance imaging-guidance on glioma surgery: A prospective volumetric analysis. Neurosurgery 64(6):1073-81; discussion 1081, 2009. PMID: 19487886.
- Kim SS, McCutcheon IE, Suki D, Weinberg JS, Sawaya R, Lang FF, Ferson D, Heimberger AB, DeMonte F, Prabhu SS. Awake craniotomy for brain tumors near eloquent cortex: Correlation of intraoperative cortical mapping with neurological outcomes in 309 consecutive patients. Neurosurgery 64(5):836-845, 2009. PMID: 19404147.
- Gasco J, Tummala S, Mahajan NM, Weinberg JS, Prabhu SS. Simultaneous use of functional tractography, neuronavigation-integrated subcortical white matter stimulation and intraoperative magnetic resonance imaging in glioma surgery: Technical note. Stereotact Funct Neurosurg 87(6):395-398, 2009. PMID: 19907203.
- Gasco J, Franklin B, Fuller G, Salinas P, Prabhu S. Multifocal epithelioid glioblastoma multiforme mimicking cerebral metastasis: Case report. Neurocirugia (Astur) 20(6):550-4, 2009. PMID: 19967320.
- Prabhu SS, Levine NB, Rao G, Shah K, Weinberg J. Report of negative diffusion –weighted MR imaging during tumor resections using intraoperative MRI. Stereotact Funct Neurosurg 87(5):304-308, 2009. PMID: 19641341.
- Jordan JT, Sun W, Hussain SF, DeAngulo G, Prabhu SS, Heimberger AB. Preferential migration of regulatory T cells mediated by glioma-secreted chemokines can be blocked with chemotherapy. Cancer Immunol Immunother 57(1):123-131, 2008. PMID: 17522861.
- Golio DI, Prabhu S, Hauk EF, Esmaeli B. Surgical resection of locally advanced granular cell tumor of the orbit. J Craniofac Surg 17(3):594-598, 2006. PMID: 16770206.
- Wang L, Wei Q, Wang LE, Aldape KD, Cao Y, Okcu MF, Hess KR, El-Zein R, Gilbert MR, Woo SY, Prabhu SS, Fuller GN, Bondy ML. Survival prediction in patients with glioblastoma multiforme by human telomerase genetic variation. J Clin Oncol 24(10):1627-1632, 2006. PMID: 16575014.
- Prabhu SS, Demonte F. Complete resection of a complex glomus jugulare tumor with extensive venous involvement. Case report. Neurosurg Focus 17:E12, 2004. PMID: 15329027.
- Prabhu SS, Aldape KD, Bruner JM, Weinberg JS. Cowden disease with Lhermitte-Duclos disease: case report. Can J Neurol Sci 31:542-549, 2004. PMID: 15595264.
- Maldaun MVC, Suki D, Lang FF, Prabhu SS, Shi W, Fuller GN, Wildrick DM, Sawaya R. Cystic glioblastoma multiforme: Survival outcomes in 22 cases. J Neurosurg 100:61-67, 2004. PMID: 14743913.
- Chen ZJ, Gillies GT, Broaddus WC, Prabhu SS, Fillmore H, Mitchell RM, Corwin FD, Fatouros PP. A realistic brain tissue phantom for intraparenchymal infusion studies. J Neurosurg 101:314-322, 2004. PMID: 15309925.
- Prabhu SS, Diaz E, Sturgis EM, Myers JN, Suki D, DeMonte F. Section on tumors: Mahaley Clinical Research Award: Primary sarcomas of the skull base: An analysis of 63 cases. Clin Neurosurg 51:340-342, 2004. PMID: 15571164.
- Han XY, Weinberg JS, Prabhu SS, Hassenbusch SJ, Fuller GN, Tarrand JJ, Kontoyiannis DP. Fusobacterial brain abscess: a review of five cases and an analysis of possible pathogenesis. J Neurosurg 99:693-700, 2003. PMID: 14567605.
- Prabhu SS, Aldape KD, Gagel RF, Benjamin RS, Trent JC, McCutcheon IE. Sarcomatous change after sellar irradiation in a growth hormone-secreting pituitary adenoma. Can J Neurol Sci 30:378-383, 2003. PMID: 14672272.
- Fourney DR, Prabhu SS, Cohen ZR, Rhines LD, Gokaslan ZL. Thoracolumbopelvic stabilization for the treatment of instability caused by recurrent myxopapillary ependymoma. J Spinal Disord Tech 16:108-111, 2003. PMID: 12571494.
- Trinh VT, Fahim DK, Maldaun MV, Shah K, McCutcheon IE, Rao G, Lang F, Weinberg J, Sawaya R, Suki D, Prabhu SS. Impact of Preoperative Functional Magnetic Resonance Imaging during Awake Craniotomy Procedures for Intraoperative Guidance and Complication Avoidance. Stereotact Funct Neurosurg 92(5):315-322. e-Pub 2014. PMID: 25247627.
- Hamilton JD, Rapp M, Marcel Schneiderhan T, Sabel M, Hayman A, Scherer A, Kröpil P, Budach W, Kretschmar U, Arne Gerber P, Prabhu S, Ginsberg LE, Bölke E, Matuschek C. Glioblastoma multiforme metastasis outside the CNS: Three case reports and possible mechanisms of escape. J Clin Oncol. e-Pub 2014.
Neurosurgeon Sujit Prabhu, M.D., in MD Anderson's Brainsuite® operating room.
Sujit Prabhu, M.D., (center) was one of the first neurosurgeons to use laser interstitial thermal therapy to treat brain tumors.
Sujit Prabhu, M.D., is a neurosurgeon who specializes in malignant and benign brain tumor surgery.