Assistant Professor, Department of Genitourinary Medical Oncology, Division of Cancer Medicine, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston
Dr. Sumit Subudhi is a medical oncologist and immunologist whose research focuses on the mechanisms and pathways within the immune system that are responsible for tumor rejection and clinical benefit. Dr. Subudhi’s medical training began when he enrolled in the MD/PhD program at The University of Chicago Pritzker School of Medicine in 1998. Dr. Subudhi’s predoctoral studies included examining the role of B7-H1 (PD-L1), an immune checkpoint, in regulating T cell–mediated immune responses. He completed his PhD in 2004, his MD in 2007, his internal medicine residency at the New York-Presbyterian Hospital/Weill Cornell Medical Center in 2009, and his medical oncology fellowship at Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center (MSKCC) in 2013. During his medical training, Dr. Subudhi became interested in the field of tumor immunology and subsequently completed a postdoctoral fellowship in Dr. James P. Allison’s laboratory at MSKCC. In Dr. Allison’s laboratory (now at MD Anderson), Dr. Subudhi began to examine the effects of targeting immune checkpoints (e.g., CTLA-4 and PD-1) in prostate cancer and continues to uncover the mechanisms that tumors use to evade the immune system.
A fter completing his fellowship at MSKCC, Dr. Subudhi was appointed as an Advanced Scholar Instructor at MD Anderson Cancer Center in 2013, and more recently (2014) as an Assistant Professor in Genitourinary Medical Oncology. His focus is on investigating optimal combinations of immune checkpoint blockade-based therapies and on developing immunological biomarkers to predict treatment responses, with the hope of ultimately producing durable and even curative responses in patients with prostate cancer. Dr. Subudhi was awarded the Prostate Cancer Foundation Young Investigator Award in 2014 to pursue these studies. Dr. Subudhi has also been investigating the immunological differences between primary prostate cancer and the bone metastasis microenvironment.
|2007||The University of Chicago, Pritzker School of Medicine, Chicago, IL, USA, MD, Medicine|
|2004||The University of Chicago, Division of Biological Sciences, Chicago, IL, USA, PhD, Biological Science|
|1994||The University of Pennsylvania, College of Arts and Sciences, Philadelphia, PA, USA, BA, Biological Basis of Behavior|
|2009-2013||Clinical Fellowship, Medical Oncology Fellowship, Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center, New York, NY|
|2007-2009||Clinical Residency, Internal Medicine, New York Presbyterian Hospital-Weill Cornell Medical Center, New York, NY|
|2013||American Board of Internal Medicine-Medical Oncology|
|2010||American Board of Internal Medicine-Internal Medicine|
|2014||Young Investigator Award, Prostate Cancer Foundation|
|2013||Advanced Scholar, UT MD Anderson Cancer Center|
|2011||NIH Clinical Scholars Biomedical Research Training Program, National Institutes of Health|
|2011||ASCO Poster Discussion Session, American Society of Clinical Oncology|
|2011||NIH Loan Repayment Program, National Institutes of Health|
|2006||Francis L. Lederer MD/PhD Scholars Research Grant, University of Chicago|
|2004||Doolittle - Harrison Travel Fellowship, University of Chicago|
|2002||Best Poster Presentation, University of Chicago|
|2000||NIH Pediatric Growth and Development Training Grant, National Institutes of Health|
|2000||Winner of Sixth Annual Medical Student Poster Competition, American Society of Internal Medicine|
- Bilen MA, Subudhi SK, Gao J, Tannir NM, Tu SM, Sharma P. Acute rhabdomyolysis with severe polymyositis following ipilimumab-nivolumab treatment in a cancer patient with elevated anti-striated muscle antibody. J Immunother Cancer 4:36, 2016. PMID: 27330809.
- Shi LZ, Fu T, Guan B, Chen J, Blando JM, Allison JP, Xiong L, Subudhi SK, Gao J, Sharma P. Interdependent IL-7 and IFN-γ signalling in T-cell controls tumour eradication by combined α-CTLA-4+α-PD-1 therapy. Nat Commun 7:12335, 2016. e-Pub 2016. PMID: 27498556.
- Subudhi SK, Aparicio A, Gao J, Zurita AJ, Araujo JC, Logothetis CJ, Tahir SA, Korivi BR, Slack RS, Vence L, Emerson RO, Yusko E, Vignali M, Robins HS, Sun J, Allison JP, Sharma P. Clonal expansion of CD8 T cells in the systemic circulation precedes development of ipilimumab-induced toxicities. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 113 (42) :11919-11924, 2016. e-Pub 2016. PMID: 27698113.
- Zamarin D, Holmgaard RB, Subudhi SK, Park JS, Mansour M, Palese P, Merghoub T, Wolchok JD, Allison JP. Localized oncolytic virotherapy overcomes systemic tumor resistance to immune checkpoint blockade immunotherapy. Sci Transl Med 6 (226) :226ra32, 2014. PMID: 24598590.
- Reis BS, Jungbluth AA, Frosina D, Holz M, Ritter E, Nakayama E, Ishida T, Obata Y, Carver B, Scher H, Scardino PT, Slovin S, Subudhi SK, Reuter VE, Savage C, Allison JP, Melamed J, Jäger E, Ritter G, Old LJ, Gnjatic S. Prostate cancer progression correlates with increased humoral immune response to a human endogenous retrovirus GAG protein. Clin Cancer Res 19 (22) :6112-25, 2013. e-Pub 2013. PMID: 24081977.
- Ross RW, Galsky MD, Scher HI, Magidson J, Wassmann K, Lee GS, Katz L, Subudhi SK, Anand A, Fleisher M, Kantoff PW, Oh WK. A whole-blood RNA transcript-based prognostic model in men with castration-resistant prostate cancer: a prospective study. Lancet Oncol 13 (11) :1105-13, 2012. e-Pub 2012. PMID: 23059047.
- Wang Y, Subudhi SK, Anders RA, Lo J, Sun Y, Blink S, Wang Y, Wang J, Liu X, Mink K, Degrandi D, Pfeffer K, Fu YX. The role of herpesvirus entry mediator as a negative regulator of T cell-mediated responses. J Clin Invest 115 (3) :711-7, 2005. PMID: 15696194.
- Anders RA, Subudhi SK, Wang J, Pfeffer K, Fu YX. Contribution of the lymphotoxin beta receptor to liver regeneration. J Immunol 175 (2) :1295-300, 2005. PMID: 16002734.
- Subudhi SK, Zhou P, Yerian LM, Chin RK, Lo JC, Anders RA, Sun Y, Chen L, Wang Y, Alegre ML, Fu YX. Local expression of B7-H1 promotes organ-specific autoimmunity and transplant rejection. J Clin Invest 113 (5) :694-700, 2004. PMID: 14991067.
- Baron BW, Anastasi J, Montag A, Huo D, Baron RM, Karrison T, Thirman MJ, Subudhi SK, Chin RK, Felsher DW, Fu YX, McKeithan TW, Baron JM. The human BCL6 transgene promotes the development of lymphomas in the mouse. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 101 (39) :14198-203, 2004. e-Pub 2004. PMID: 15375218.
- Tang Q, Henriksen KJ, Boden EK, Tooley AJ, Ye J, Subudhi SK, Zheng XX, Strom TB, Bluestone JA. Cutting edge: CD28 controls peripheral homeostasis of CD4+CD25+ regulatory T cells. J Immunol 171 (7) :3348-52, 2003. PMID: 14500627.
- Sun Y, Lin X, Chen HM, Wu Q, Subudhi SK, Chen L, Fu YX. Administration of agonistic anti-4-1BB monoclonal antibody leads to the amelioration of experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis. J Immunol 168 (3) :1457-65, 2002. PMID: 11801689.
- Tang Q, Subudhi SK, Henriksen KJ, Long CG, Vives F, Bluestone JA. The Src family kinase Fyn mediates signals induced by TCR antagonists. J Immunol 168 (9) :4480-7, 2002. PMID: 11970992.
- Sun Y, Chen HM, Subudhi SK, Chen J, Koka R, Chen L, Fu YX. Costimulatory molecule-targeted antibody therapy of a spontaneous autoimmune disease. Nat Med 8 (12) :1405-13, 2002. e-Pub 2002. PMID: 12426559.
- Tesciuba AG, Subudhi S, Rother RP, Faas SJ, Frantz AM, Elliot D, Weinstock J, Matis LA, Bluestone JA, Sperling AL. Inducible costimulator regulates Th2-mediated inflammation, but not Th2 differentiation, in a model of allergic airway disease. J Immunology 167 (4) :1996-2003, 2001. PMID: 11489981.
- Cassel DL, Subudhi SK, Surrey S, McKenzie SE. GATA and NF-Y participate in transcriptional regulation of FcgammaRIIA in megakaryocytic cells. Blood Cells Mol Dis 26 (6) :587-97, 2000. PMID: 11112392.
- Miyahira AK, Roychowdhury S, Goswami S, Ippolito JE, Priceman SJ, Pritchard CC, Sfanos KS, Subudhi SK, Simons JW, Pienta KJ, Soule HR. Beyond Seed and Soil: Understanding and Targeting Metastatic Prostate Cancer; Report From the 2016 Coffey-Holden Prostate Cancer Academy Meeting. Prostate. PMID: 27679977.
- Arora VK, Schenkein E, Murali R, Subudhi SK, Wongvipat J, Balbas MD, Shah N, Cai L, Efstathiou E, Logothetis C, Zheng D, Sawyers CL. Glucocorticoid receptor confers resistance to antiandrogens by bypassing androgen receptor blockade. Cell 155 (6) :1309-22. PMID: 24315100.
- Subudhi SK, Alegre ML, Fu YX. The balance of immune responses: co-stimulation verse co-inhibition. J Mol Med (Berl) 83 (3) :193-202, 2005. e-Pub 2005. PMID: 15630593.
- Sun Y, Subudhi SK, Fu YX. Co-stimulation agonists as a new immunotherapy for autoimmune diseases. Trends Mol Med 9 (11) :483-9, 2003. PMID: 14604826.
- Gao J, He Q, Subudhi S, Aparicio A, Zurita-Saavedra A, Lee DH, Jimenez C, Suarez-Almazor M, Sharma P. Review of immune-related adverse events in prostate cancer patients treated with ipilimumab: MD Anderson experience. Oncogene 34 (43) :5411-5417. e-Pub 2015. PMID: 25659583.
- Goswami S, Aparicio A, Subudhi SK. Immune Checkpoint Therapies in Prostate Cancer. Cancer Journal.
- Curran MA, Callahan MK, Subudhi SK, Allison JP. Response to "Ipilimumab (Yervoy) and the TGN1412 catastrophe". Immunobiology 217 (6) :590-2, 2012. PMID: 22459268.
- Subudhi SK, Callahan MK, Wolchok JD. Improving the therapeutic benefits of ipilimumab. Oncology (Williston Park) 24 (14) :1288, 1294, 2010. PMID: 21294472.
- Subudhi SK, Aparicio A, Troncoso P, Zhang J, Gumbs C, Wu CJ, Gao J, Vence LM, Blando JM, Corn PG, Araujo JC, Zurita AJ, Prokhorova IN, Van Alstine M, Logothetis C, Futreal A, Allison JP, Sharma P. Investigation of mechanisms of resistance to ipilimumab therapy with a pre-surgical trial in patients with high-risk, localized prostate cancer. J Clin Oncology, 2017 ASCO Annual Meeting 35, 2017.
- Sumit Kumar Subudhi, Ana Aparicio, Patricia Troncoso, Jianhua Zhang, Curtis Gumbs, Chang-jiun Wu, Jianjun Gao, Luis M Vence, Jorge M Blando, Paul Gettys Corn, John C. Araujo, Amado J. Zurita, Ina N. Prokhorova, Michael Van Alstine, Christopher Logothetis, Andrew Futreal, James Patrick Allison, Padmanee Sharma. Linking tumor mutational load to clinical responses to ipilimumab (IPI) in men with advanced prostate cancer (PCa). J Clin Oncology, 2017 ASCO Annual Meeting 35, 2017.
- Subudhi S, Aparicio A, Gao J, Zurita-Saavedra A, Araujo JC, Logothetis CJ, Brinda KR, Allison JP, Vence L, Emerson RO, Yusko E, Vignali M, Robins HS, Sun J, Sharma P. Exploratory biomarkers that predict for clinical outcomes in a Phase II trial with ipilimumab plus finite androgen deprivation therapy for metastatic non-castrate prostate cancer. Cancer Res, AACR 2016 Annual Meeting, 2016.
- Odisio BC, Christensen JA, Subudhi SK, Huang S, Gupta S, Ahrar K, Sheth R, Ensor J, Aparicio A. Image guided thermal ablation of prostate cancer metastases to the liver. J Clin Oncology, 2016 ASCO Annual Meeting 34, 2016.
- Subudhi SK, Aparicio A,Troncoso P, Zhang J, Gumbs C, Wu CJ, Vence LM, Logothetis CJ, Futreal A, Allison JP, Sharma P. A Feasibility Study to Determine T Cell Responses to Neoantigens Following Treatment with Ipilimumab in Men with Metastatic Castration-Resistant Prostate Carcinoma (mCRPC). J Clin Oncology, 2016 ASCO Annual Meeting 34, 2016.
- Subudhi SK, Aparicio A, Gao J, Zurita AJ, Araujo J, Logothetis CJ, Rao B, Vence L, Allison JP, Emerson R, Yusko E, Vignali M, Robins H, Sun J, Sharma P. Immune correlates in a Phase II clinical trial with ipilimumab in combination with finite androgen deprivation therapy in patients with metastatic non-castrate prostate cancer. SITC - Society of Immunotherapy, Advances in Cancer Immunotherapy, 2015.
- Subudhi, SK, Aparicio1 A, Gao J, Zurita AJ, Araujo J, Logothetis CJ, Rao B, Vence L, Allison JP, Emerson R, Yusko E, Vignali M, Robins R, Sun J, Sharma P. Finite androgen deprivation therapy (ADT) plus ipilimumab (IPI) in metastatic non-castrate prostate cancer. Prostate Cancer Foundation (PCF) - 22nd Annual Scientific Retreat, 2015.
- Corn P, Tu S, Zurita AJ, Subudhi SK, Araujo JC, Kim J, Jonasch E, Pagliaro LC, Siefker-Radtke AO, Wang J, Wang X, Heath EI, Logothetis C, Aparicio A. A multi-institutional randomized phase II study (NCT01505868) of cabazitaxel (CAB) plus or minus carboplatin (CARB) in men with metastatic castration-resistant prostate cancer (mCRPC). J Clin Oncol, 2015 Genitourinary Cancers Symposium 33, 2015.
- Chapin BF, Mcguire SE, Wang X, Troncoso P, Davis JW, Navai N, Subudhi SK, Zurita AJ, Araujo JC, Pettaway CA, Matin SF, Pisters LL, Ward JF, Tu S, Wang J, Le O, Logothetis CJ, Aparicio A. A prospective, multicenter, randomized phase II trial of best systemic therapy (BST) or BST plus definitive treatment (Surgery or Radiation) of the primary tumor in metastatic prostate cancer. J Clin Oncology, 2015 ASCO Annual Meeting 33, 2015.
- Subudhi SK, Aparicio A, Zurita AJ, Araujo JC, Corn PG, Tu S, Wang X, Harris DR, Winslow KA, Gao J, Logothetis CJ, Sharma P. Finite androgen deprivation therapy (ADT) plus ipilimumab (IPI) in men with hormone-naïve metastatic prostate cancer (HN-mPCa). Annals of Oncology, ESMO, European Society for Medical Oncology 25, 2014.
- Subudhi SK, Heller G, Danila DC, Anand A, Lacuna KP, Samoila A, Fleisher M, Scher HI. Sera cytokine levels to predict survival in men with progressive castration-resistant prostate cancer. J Clin Oncology, 2013 ASCO Annual Meeting 31, 2013.
- Subudhi SK, Montalvo-Ortiz W, Scher HI, Allison JP. Dissecting the therapeutic effects of anti-CTLA-4 and ADT in murine hormone-sensitive prostate cancer. J Clin Oncology, 2013 ASCO Annual Meeting 31, 2013.
- Callahan MK, Yang A, Tandon S, Xu S, Subudhi SK, Roman RA, Heine AI, pogoriler E, Kuk D, Panageas K, Yuan JD, Allison JP, Wolchok JD. Evaluation of serum IL-17 levels during ipilimumab therapy: Correlation with colitis. American Society of Clinical Oncology 29, 2011.
- Subudhi SK, Heller G, Anand A, Danila DC, Fleisher M, Scher HI. A Six-gene Panel that Predicts Survival in Men with Castration-resistant Prostate Cancer. J Clin Oncol, 2013 Genitourinary Cancers Symposium 29, 2011.
- Sharma P, Subudhi S, Peggs S, Goswani S, Gao J, Quezada S, Allison JP. Cancer Medicine 9th Edition. In: Chapter 13: Cancer Immunotherapy. 9, 2015.
- Subudhi SK, Scher HI, Allison JP. CTLA-4 inhibitors in castration-resistant prostate cancer. In: Targeted Therapies for Castration-Resistant Prostate Cancer. Scardino PT: London, UK, 2012.
|Title:||Improving Patient Selection for Immune Checkpoint Therapy: Maximizing Benefit and Minimizing Toxicities|
|Funding Source:||Prostate Cancer Foundation|
|Title:||Targeting the Immune & Non-immune Tumor-associated Microenvironments in Prostate Cancer|
|Funding Source:||UT MD Anderson Cancer Center - Prostate Cancer Moon Shot|
|Title:||A Feasibility Study to Determine T-cell Responses to Neoantigens Following Treatment with Ipilimumab in Men with Metastatic Castration-Resistant Prostate Carcinoma|
|Funding Source:||UT MD Anderson Cancer Center - Prostate Cancer Moon Shot|
|Title:||MD Anderson Cancer Center Prostate Cancer SPORE – Project 1: Integrating Ipilimumab Immunotherapy with Approved Treatment Strategies in CRPC|
|Title:||Targeting Immune Tumor-Associated Microenvironment in Prostate Cancer|