Assistant Professor, Department of Genitourinary Medical Oncology, Division of Cancer Medicine, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston
Dr. Sumit Subudhi is a medical oncologist and immunologist whose research focuses on the mechanisms and pathways within the immune system that are responsible for tumor rejection and clinical benefit. Dr. Subudhi’s medical training began when he enrolled in the MD/PhD program at The University of Chicago Pritzker School of Medicine in 1998. Dr. Subudhi’s predoctoral studies included examining the role of B7-H1 (PD-L1), an immune checkpoint, in regulating T cell–mediated immune responses. He completed his PhD in 2004, his MD in 2007, his internal medicine residency at the New York-Presbyterian Hospital/Weill Cornell Medical Center in 2009, and his medical oncology fellowship at Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center (MSKCC) in 2013. During his medical training, Dr. Subudhi became interested in the field of tumor immunology and subsequently completed a postdoctoral fellowship in Dr. James P. Allison’s laboratory at MSKCC. In Dr. Allison’s laboratory (now at MD Anderson), Dr. Subudhi began to examine the effects of targeting immune checkpoints (e.g., CTLA-4 and PD-1) in prostate cancer and continues to uncover the mechanisms that tumors use to evade the immune system.
A fter completing his fellowship at MSKCC, Dr. Subudhi was appointed as an Advanced Scholar Instructor at MD Anderson Cancer Center in 2013, and more recently (2014) as an Assistant Professor in Genitourinary Medical Oncology. His focus is on investigating optimal combinations of immune checkpoint blockade-based therapies and on developing immunological biomarkers to predict treatment responses, with the hope of ultimately producing durable and even curative responses in patients with prostate cancer. Dr. Subudhi was awarded the Prostate Cancer Foundation Young Investigator Award in 2014 to pursue these studies. Dr. Subudhi has also been investigating the immunological differences between primary prostate cancer and the bone metastasis microenvironment.
|2007||The University of Chicago, Pritzker School of Medicine, Chicago, IL, USA, MD, Medicine|
|2004||The University of Chicago, Division of Biological Sciences, Chicago, IL, USA, PhD, Immunology|
|1994||The University of Pennsylvania, College of Arts and Sciences, Philadelphia, PA, USA, BA, Biological Basis of Behavior|
|2009-2013||Clinical Fellowship, Medical Oncology Fellowship, Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center, New York, NY|
|2007-2009||Clinical Residency, Internal Medicine, New York Presbyterian Hospital-Weill Cornell Medical Center, New York, NY|
|2013||American Board of Internal Medicine-Medical Oncology|
|2010||American Board of Internal Medicine-Internal Medicine|
|2014||Young Investigator Award, Prostate Cancer Foundation|
|2013||Advanced Scholar, UT MD Anderson Cancer Center|
|2011||NIH Clinical Scholars Biomedical Research Training Program, National Institutes of Health|
|2011||ASCO Poster Discussion Session, American Society of Clinical Oncology|
|2011||NIH Loan Repayment Program, National Institutes of Health|
|2006||Francis L. Lederer MD/PhD Scholars Research Grant, University of Chicago|
|2004||Doolittle - Harrison Travel Fellowship, University of Chicago|
|2002||Best Poster Presentation, University of Chicago|
|2000||NIH Pediatric Growth and Development Training Grant, National Institutes of Health|
|2000||Winner of Sixth Annual Medical Student Poster Competition, American Society of Internal Medicine|
- Vence L, Bucktrout SL, Fernandez Curbelo I, Blando J, Smith BM, Mahne AE, Lin JC, Park T, Pascua E, Sai T, Chaparro-Riggers J, Subudhi SK, Scutti JB, Higa MG, Zhao H, Yadav SS, Maitra A, Wistuba II, Allison JP, Sharma P. Characterization and comparison of GITR expression in solid tumors. Clin Cancer Res 25(21):6501-6510, 2019. e-Pub 2019. PMID: 31358539.
- Abu-Sbeih H, Ali FS, Naqash AR, Owen DH, Patel S, Otterson GA, Kendra K, Ricciuti B, Chiari R, De Giglio A, Sleiman J, Funchain P, Wills B, Zhang J, Naidoo J, Philpott J, Gao J, Subudhi SK, Wang Y. Resumption of Immune Checkpoint Inhibitor Therapy After Immune-Mediated Colitis. J Clin Oncol 37(30):JCO1900320, 2019. e-Pub 2019. PMID: 31163011.
- Corn PG, Heath EI, Zurita A, Ramesh N, Xiao L, Sei E, Li-Ning-Tapia E, Tu SM, Subudhi SK, Wang J, Wang X, Efstathiou E, Thompson TC, Troncoso P, Navin N, Logothetis CJ, Aparicio AM. Cabazitaxel plus carboplatin for the treatment of men with metastatic castration-resistant prostate cancers: a randomised, open-label, phase 1-2 trial. Lancet Oncol 20(10):1432-1443, 2019. e-Pub 2019. PMID: 31515154.
- Sharma A, Subudhi SK, Blando J, Scutti J, Vence L, Wargo J, Allison JP, Ribas A, Sharma P. Anti-CTLA-4 immunotherapy does not deplete FOXP3+ regulatory T cells (Tregs) in human cancers. Clin Cancer Res 25(4):1233-1238, 2019. e-Pub 2018. PMID: 30054281.
- Wang Y, Wiesnoski DH, Helmink BA, Gopalakrishnan V, Choi K, DuPont HL, Jiang ZD, Abu-Sbeih H, Sanchez CA, Chang CC, Parra ER, Francisco-Cruz A, Raju GS, Stroehlein JR, Campbell MT, Gao J, Subudhi SK, Maru DM, Blando JM, Lazar AJ, Allison JP, Sharma P, Tetzlaff MT, Wargo JA, Jenq RR. Author Correction: Fecal microbiota transplantation for refractory immune checkpoint inhibitor-associated colitis. Nat Med 25(1):188, 2019. PMID: 30479380.
- Iyer PC, Cabanillas ME, Waguespack SG, Hu MI, Thosani S, Lavis VR, Busaidy NL, Subudhi SK, Diab A, Dadu R. Immune-Related Thyroiditis with Immune Checkpoint Inhibitors. Thyroid 28(10):1243-1251, 2018. PMID: 30132401.
- Bilen MA, Hess KR, Subudhi SK, Aparicio A, Kim J, Zurita-Saavedra AJ, Araujo JC, Corn PG, Stover J, Lin SH, Logothetis CJ, Tu SM. Clinical predictors of survival in patients with castration-resistant prostate cancer receiving sipuleucel-T cellular immunotherapy. Cancer Chemother Pharmacol 80(3):583-589, 2017. e-Pub 2017. PMID: 28730293.
- Gao J, Ward JF, Pettaway CA, Shi LZ, Subudhi SK, Vence LM, Zhao H, Chen J, Chen H, Efstathiou E, Troncoso P, Allison JP, Logothetis CJ, Wistuba II, Sepulveda MA, Sun J, Wargo J, Blando J, Sharma P. VISTA is an inhibitory immune checkpoint that is increased after ipilimumab therapy in patients with prostate cancer. Nat Med 23(5):551-555, 2017. e-Pub 2017. PMID: 28346412.
- Subudhi SK, Aparicio A, Gao J, Zurita AJ, Araujo JC, Logothetis CJ, Tahir SA, Korivi BR, Slack RS, Vence L, Emerson RO, Yusko E, Vignali M, Robins HS, Sun J, Allison JP, Sharma P. Clonal expansion of CD8 T cells in the systemic circulation precedes development of ipilimumab-induced toxicities. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 113(42):11919-11924, 2016. e-Pub 2016. PMID: 27698113.
- Shi LZ, Fu T, Guan B, Chen J, Blando JM, Allison JP, Xiong L, Subudhi SK, Gao J, Sharma P. Interdependent IL-7 and IFN-γ signalling in T-cell controls tumour eradication by combined α-CTLA-4+a-PD-1 therapy. Nat Commun 7:12335, 2016. e-Pub 2016. PMID: 27498556.
- Bilen MA, Subudhi SK, Gao J, Tannir NM, Tu SM, Sharma P. Acute rhabdomyolysis with severe polymyositis following ipilimumab-nivolumab treatment in a cancer patient with elevated anti-striated muscle antibody. J Immunother Cancer 4:36, 2016. e-Pub 2016. PMID: 27330809.
- Zamarin D, Holmgaard RB, Subudhi SK, Park JS, Mansour M, Palese P, Merghoub T, Wolchok JD, Allison JP. Localized oncolytic virotherapy overcomes systemic tumor resistance to immune checkpoint blockade immunotherapy. Sci Transl Med 6(226):226ra32, 2014. PMID: 24598590.
- Arora VK, Schenkein E, Murali R, Subudhi SK, Wongvipat J, Balbas MD, Shah N, Cai L, Efstathiou E, Logothetis C, Zheng D, Sawyers CL. Glucocorticoid receptor confers resistance to antiandrogens by bypassing androgen receptor blockade. Cell 155(6):1309-22, 2013. PMID: 24315100.
- Reis BS, Jungbluth AA, Frosina D, Holz M, Ritter E, Nakayama E, Ishida T, Obata Y, Carver B, Scher H, Scardino PT, Slovin S, Subudhi SK, Reuter VE, Savage C, Allison JP, Melamed J, Jäger E, Ritter G, Old LJ, Gnjatic S. Prostate cancer progression correlates with increased humoral immune response to a human endogenous retrovirus GAG protein. Clin Cancer Res 19(22):6112-25, 2013. e-Pub 2013. PMID: 24081977.
- Ross RW, Galsky MD, Scher HI, Magidson J, Wassmann K, Lee GS, Katz L, Subudhi SK, Anand A, Fleisher M, Kantoff PW, Oh WK. A whole-blood RNA transcript-based prognostic model in men with castration-resistant prostate cancer: a prospective study. Lancet Oncol 13(11):1105-13, 2012. e-Pub 2012. PMID: 23059047.
- Anders RA, Subudhi SK, Wang J, Pfeffer K, Fu YX. Contribution of the lymphotoxin beta receptor to liver regeneration. J Immunol 175(2):1295-300, 2005. PMID: 16002734.
- Wang Y, Subudhi SK, Anders RA, Lo J, Sun Y, Blink S, Wang Y, Wang J, Liu X, Mink K, Degrandi D, Pfeffer K, Fu YX. The role of herpesvirus entry mediator as a negative regulator of T cell-mediated responses. J Clin Invest 115(3):711-7, 2005. PMID: 15696194.
- Baron BW, Anastasi J, Montag A, Huo D, Baron RM, Karrison T, Thirman MJ, Subudhi SK, Chin RK, Felsher DW, Fu YX, McKeithan TW, Baron JM. The human BCL6 transgene promotes the development of lymphomas in the mouse. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 101(39):14198-203, 2004. e-Pub 2004. PMID: 15375218.
- Subudhi SK, Zhou P, Yerian LM, Chin RK, Lo JC, Anders RA, Sun Y, Chen L, Wang Y, Alegre ML, Fu YX. Local expression of B7-H1 promotes organ-specific autoimmunity and transplant rejection. J Clin Invest 113(5):694-700, 2004. PMID: 14991067.
- Tang Q, Henriksen KJ, Boden EK, Tooley AJ, Ye J, Subudhi SK, Zheng XX, Strom TB, Bluestone JA. Cutting edge: CD28 controls peripheral homeostasis of CD4+CD25+ regulatory T cells. J Immunol 171(7):3348-52, 2003. PMID: 14500627.
- Sun Y, Chen HM, Subudhi SK, Chen J, Koka R, Chen L, Fu YX. Costimulatory molecule-targeted antibody therapy of a spontaneous autoimmune disease. Nat Med 8(12):1405-13, 2002. e-Pub 2002. PMID: 12426559.
- Tang Q, Subudhi SK, Henriksen KJ, Long CG, Vives F, Bluestone JA. The Src family kinase Fyn mediates signals induced by TCR antagonists. J Immunol 168(9):4480-7, 2002. PMID: 11970992.
- Sun Y, Lin X, Chen HM, Wu Q, Subudhi SK, Chen L, Fu YX. Administration of agonistic anti-4-1BB monoclonal antibody leads to the amelioration of experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis. J Immunol 168(3):1457-65, 2002. PMID: 11801689.
- Tesciuba AG, Subudhi SK, Rother RP, Faas SJ, Frantz AM, Elliot D, Weinstock J, Matis LA, Bluestone JA, Sperling AL,. Inducible costimulator regulates Th2-mediated inflammation, but not Th2 differentiation, in a model of allergic airway disease. J Immunology 167(4):1996-2003, 2001. PMID: 11489981.
- Cassel DL, Subudhi SK, Surrey S, McKenzie SE. GATA and NF-Y participate in transcriptional regulation of FcgammaRIIA in megakaryocytic cells. Blood Cells Mol Dis 26(6):587-97, 2000. PMID: 11112392.
- Sheth RA, Perkons N, Dondossola E, Subudhi SK, Gade TP, Tam AL. Patient-Derived Xenograft Tumor Models: Overview and Relevance to IR. J Vasc Interv Radiol 29(6):880-882.e1, 2018. PMID: 29798759.
- Laccetti AL, Subudhi SK. Immunotherapy for metastatic prostate cancer: immuno-cold or the tip of the iceberg?. Curr Opin Urol 27(6):566-571, 2017. e-Pub 2017. PMID: 28825923.
- Miyahira AK, Roychowdhury S, Goswami S, Ippolito JE, Priceman SJ, Pritchard CC, Sfanos KS, Subudhi SK, Simons JW, Pienta KJ, Soule HR. Beyond Seed and Soil: Understanding and Targeting Metastatic Prostate Cancer; Report From the 2016 Coffey-Holden Prostate Cancer Academy Meeting. Prostate 77(2):123-144, 2017. e-Pub 2016. PMID: 27679977.
- Goswami S, Aparicio A, Subudhi SK. Immune Checkpoint Therapies in Prostate Cancer. Cancer J 22(2):117-20, 2016. PMID: 27111907.
- Gao J, He Q, Subudhi S, Aparicio A, Zurita-Saavedra A, Lee DH, Jimenez C, Suarez-Almazor M, Sharma P. Review of immune-related adverse events in prostate cancer patients treated with ipilimumab: MD Anderson experience. Oncogene 34(43):5411-5417, 2015. e-Pub 2015. PMID: 25659583.
- Subudhi SK, Alegre ML, Fu YX. The balance of immune responses: co-stimulation verse co-inhibition. J Mol Med (Berl) 83(3):193-202, 2005. e-Pub 2005. PMID: 15630593.
- Sun Y, Subudhi SK, Fu YX. Co-stimulation agonists as a new immunotherapy for autoimmune diseases. Trends Mol Med 9(11):483-9, 2003. PMID: 14604826.
- Curran MA, Callahan MK, Subudhi SK, Allison JP. Response to "Ipilimumab (Yervoy) and the TGN1412 catastrophe". Immunobiology 217(6):590-2, 2012. PMID: 22459268.
- Subudhi SK, Callahan MK, Wolchok JD. Improving the therapeutic benefits of ipilimumab. Oncology (Williston Park) 24(14):1288, 1294, 2010. PMID: 21294472.
- Subudhi SK, Aparicio A, Troncoso P, Zhang J, Gumbs C, Wu CJ, Gao J, Vence LM, Blando JM, Corn PG, Araujo JC, Zurita AJ, Prokhorova IN, Van Alstine M, Logothetis C, Futreal A, Allison JP, Sharma P. Investigation of mechanisms of resistance to ipilimumab therapy with a pre-surgical trial in patients with high-risk, localized prostate cancer. Journal of Clinical Oncology, ASCO Annual Meeting 2017 35, 2017.
- Sumit Kumar Subudhi, Ana Aparicio, Patricia Troncoso, Jianhua Zhang, Curtis Gumbs, Chang-jiun Wu, Jianjun Gao, Luis M Vence, Jorge M Blando, Paul Gettys Corn, John C. Araujo, Amado J. Zurita, Ina N. Prokhorova, Michael Van Alstine, Christopher Logothetis, Andrew Futreal, James Patrick Allison, Padmanee Sharma. Linking tumor mutational load to clinical responses to ipilimumab (IPI) in men with advanced prostate cancer (PCa). Journal of Clinical Oncology, ASCO Annual Meeting 2017 35, 2017.
- Subudhi SK, Aparicio A,Troncoso P, Zhang J, Gumbs C, Wu CJ, Vence LM, Logothetis CJ, Futreal A, Allison JP, Sharma P. A Feasibility Study to Determine T Cell Responses to Neoantigens Following Treatment with Ipilimumab in Men with Metastatic Castration-Resistant Prostate Carcinoma (mCRPC). Journal of Clinical Oncology, ASCO Annual Meeting 2016 34, 2016.
- Subudhi S, Aparicio A, Gao J, Zurita-Saavedra A, Araujo JC, Logothetis CJ, Brinda KR, Allison JP, Vence L, Emerson RO, Yusko E, Vignali M, Robins HS, Sun J, Sharma P. Exploratory biomarkers that predict for clinical outcomes in a Phase II trial with ipilimumab plus finite androgen deprivation therapy for metastatic non-castrate prostate cancer. Cancer Res, AACR 2016 Annual Meeting, 2016.
- Subudhi, SK, Aparicio1 A, Gao J, Zurita AJ, Araujo J, Logothetis CJ, Rao B, Vence L, Allison JP, Emerson R, Yusko E, Vignali M, Robins R, Sun J, Sharma P. Finite androgen deprivation therapy (ADT) plus ipilimumab (IPI) in metastatic non-castrate prostate cancer. Prostate Cancer Foundation (PCF) - 22nd Annual Scientific Retreat, 2015.
- Subudhi SK, Aparicio A, Gao J, Zurita AJ, Araujo J, Logothetis CJ, Rao B, Vence L, Allison JP, Emerson R, Yusko E, Vignali M, Robins H, Sun J, Sharma P. Immune correlates in a Phase II clinical trial with ipilimumab in combination with finite androgen deprivation therapy in patients with metastatic non-castrate prostate cancer. SITC - Society of Immunotherapy, Advances in Cancer Immunotherapy, 2015.
- Subudhi SK, Aparicio A, Zurita AJ, Araujo JC, Corn PG, Tu S, Wang X, Harris DR, Winslow KA, Gao J, Logothetis CJ, Sharma P. Finite androgen deprivation therapy (ADT) plus ipilimumab (IPI) in men with hormone-naïve metastatic prostate cancer (HN-mPCa). Annals of Oncology, ESMO, European Society for Medical Oncology 25, 2014.
- Subudhi SK, Montalvo-Ortiz W, Scher HI, Allison JP. Dissecting the therapeutic effects of anti-CTLA-4 and ADT in murine hormone-sensitive prostate cancer. Journal of Clinical Oncology, ASCO Annual Meeting 2013 31, 2013.
- Subudhi SK, Heller G, Danila DC, Anand A, Lacuna KP, Samoila A, Fleisher M, Scher HI. Sera cytokine levels to predict survival in men with progressive castration-resistant prostate cancer. Journal of Clinical Oncology, ASCO Annual Meeting 2013 31, 2013.
- Subudhi SK, Heller G, Anand A, Danila DC, Fleisher M, Scher HI. A Six-gene Panel that Predicts Survival in Men with Castration-resistant Prostate Cancer. Journal of Clinical Oncology, Genitourinary Cancers Symposium 2013 29, 2011.
- Sharma P, Subudhi S, Peggs S, Goswani S, Gao J, Quezada S, Allison JP. Holland-Frei Cancer Medicine, 9th Edition. In: Chapter 67: Cancer Immunotherapy. 9. Wiley-Blackwell, 2017.
- Subudhi SK, Scher HI, Allison JP. CTLA-4 inhibitors in castration-resistant prostate cancer. In: Targeted Therapies for Castration-Resistant Prostate Cancer. Scardino PT: London, UK, 2012.
|Title:||Improving Patient Selection for Immune Checkpoint Therapy: Maximizing Benefit and Minimizing Toxicities|
|Funding Source:||Prostate Cancer Foundation|
|Title:||MD Anderson Cancer Center Prostate Cancer SPORE – Project 1: Integrating Ipilimumab Immunotherapy with Approved Treatment Strategies in CRPC|
|Title:||Flagship 2: Targeting Immune Tumor-Associated Microenvironment in Prostate Cancer|
|Funding Source:||MD Anderson Moon Shot Program|