Maria Susan Gaeta, MD
Department of Emergency Medicine, Division of Internal Medicine
Education & Training
|1998||The University of California Davis, Davis, CA, USA, MD, Doctor of Medicine|
|1994||San Jose State University, San Jose, CA, USA, BS, Biological Sciences|
Experience & Service
Assistant Professor, Department of Palliative Care and Rehabilitation Medicine, Division of Cancer Medicine, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2010 - 2016
Adjunct Faculty, Department of Integrated Ethics in Cancer Care, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2009 - 2016
Assistant Professor, Department of Critical Care Medicine, Division of Anesthesiology, Critical Care Medicine and Pain Medicine, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2006 - 2016
Associate Medical Director, Department of Critical Care Medicine, The University of Texas M. D. Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2006 - 2016
EHR Provider Officer, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, 2014 - 2016
Section of Cancer Bioethics and the Clinical Ethics Service Faculty, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2009 - 2016
Institutional Committee Activities
Member, Psychosocial Council Leadership, 2011 - 2016
Member, Psychosocial Behavior Research Committee, 2010 - 2012
Co-Chair, Sepsis Collaborative, 2009 - 2016
Co-chair, Advance Care Planning Work Group, 2009 - 2014
Member, Clinical Ethics Consultation, 2009 - 2016
Member, Psychosocial Council, 2009 - 2016
Chair, Clinical Effectiveness and Evidence Based Health Care, 2008 - 2016
Member, Clinical Effectiveness Subcommittee, 2008 - 2016
Chair, End of Life Task Force, 2006 - 2011
Member, ICU Family Committee, 2006 - 2007
Member, ICU Operations Committee, 2006 - 2016
Chair, Staff Satisfaction and Retention Committee, 2006 - 2008
Member, Psychosocial, Behavior and Health Services Research Committee, 2006 - 2009
Member, Visitation Task Force Committee, 2006 - 2007
Member, Psychosocial Behavior Research Committee, 2006 - 2009
Honors & Awards
|1997||Talented Roster for Distinguished Academic Performance, Merced College|
|1995||Outstanding Student Award, Merced College|
|1986||Lange Medical Publications Student Award, The University of Davis California|
|1985||Dean's Health Policy, The University of Davis California|
- Hanzelka KM, Yeung SC, Chisholm G, Merriman KW, Gaeta S, Malik I, Rice TW. Implementation of Modified Early Goal Directed Therapy for Sepsis in the Emergency Center of a Comprehensive Cancer Center. Support Care Cancer 21(3):727-34, 2013. e-Pub 2012. PMID: 22956191.
- Cardenas-Turanzas M, Gaeta S, Ashoori A, Price KJ, Nates JL. Demographic and clinical determinants of having do not resuscitate orders in the intensive care unit of a comprehensive cancer center. J Palliat Med 14(1):45-50, 2011. e-Pub 2010. PMID: 21194303.
- Gaeta S, Pastores S, Margarita A, Halpern N, Voight LP. Disseminated Trichosporonosis presenting with maculopaular rash and multisystem organ failure in an immunosuppressed patient. Chest 126:967S-a-968, 2004.
- Gaeta S, Elshinawy AA, Voight LP, VanderEls N, Feinstein MB. Successful Use of Parenteral and Inhaled Antifungal Therapy in a Woman with Stage IV Adenocarcinoma and Galactomannan Negative Aspergillis Tracheobronchitis. Chest 126:986S-987, 2004.
- Gaeta S Conquering Pacemaker Management. Critical Connections, 2010.
- Chemaly RF, Vigil K, Adachi JA, Jiang Ying, Popat U, Mahani MG, Granwehr B, Malik Imrana, Gaeta S, Champlin R, Raad II. Novel Influenza A (2009/H1N1) Infection in Cancer Patients During the Outgoing Pandemic: Early Therapy Improves Outcome. Poster Presentation at the 48th Annual IDSA Meeting. Vancouver, BC, Canada, 2010, 2010.
- Vigil K, Adachi JA, Jiang Y, Popat U, Mahani MG, Granwehr B, Gaeta S, Malik I, Champlin R, Raad II, Chemaly RF. Novel Influenza A (2009/H1N1) Infection in Patients with Hematologic Malignancies during the 2009 Pandemic Outbreak: Early Treatment Improves Survival. Poster Presentation at the 52nd ASH Annual Meeting. Orlando, FL, 2010, 2010.
- Cardenas-Turanzas M, Torres-Vigil I, Tovalin-Ahumada H, Gaeta S, Nates JL. Sociodemographic, clinical and economic factors associated with the place of death of participants in the Mexican Health and Aging Study, 2009.
- Gaeta S, Price KJ. End-of-life issues in critically ill cancer patients. In: Crit Care Clin. 1, 219-27, 2010.