About Dr. Arur
Dr. Arur obtained her Ph.D. with Prof. M.K. Bhan from the All India Institute of Medical Sciences. Dr. Arur undertook post-graduate studies with Dr. David Han, at the UCONN Health Science Center where she spearheaded one of the earliest efforts in deploying state-of-the-art differential proteomics technology (LC-MS/MS coupled with ICAT) to understand how dying cells were cleared by phagocytes. Subsequently, Dr. Arur received a postdoctoral fellowship from the Washington University School of Medicine in St. Louis to train in the laboratory of Prof. Tim Schedl.
In 2010, Dr. Arur established her laboratory in the Department of Genetics. Her lab uses multidisciplinary approaches and model systems with the goal to gain knowledge and understanding on principles that regulate female fertility and onset and progression of metastatic KRAS driven cancers. These studies will enable fundamental mechanistic understanding of developmental disorders and oncogenesis. Dr. Arur is a Research Scholar of the American Cancer Society, Anna Fuller Foundation, and Andrew Sabin Family Foundation. Her laboratory is currently funded by the National Institute of Health, Cancer Prevention and Research Institute of Texas and American Cancer Society.
Associate Professor, Department of Genetics, Division of Basic Science Research, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
Associate Professor, The University of Texas Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences, Houston, TX
Our research focus is focused in two major areas. (i) To unravel the environmentally regulated mechanisms and molecules that control meiotic I progression in female germ cells. We use C. elegans as our model system for this work. (ii) To identify principles and players that regulate tumor progression upon KRAS wired metabolic signaling rather than through the increase in mutational burden. We use mouse and cultured cells as models for this work. These efforts should allow us to identify metabolic checkpoints impeding tumor growth.
View a complete list of Dr. Arur's publications .
Visit Dr. Arur's Lab Website.
|2002||All India Institute for Medical Sciences, New Delhi, IND, PHD, Microbiology|
|2007-2010||Instructor, Genetics, Developmental Biology and Cell Biology, Washington University School of Medicine, Saint Louis, MO|
|2002-2007||Post Doctoral Associate, Department of Genetics, Washington University in St Louis, School of Medicine, St. Louis, MO|
Associate Professor, Division of Basic Science Research, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX, 2015 - Present
|2017||Andrew Sabin Family Foundation Scholar, Andrew Sabin Family Foundation|
|2017||2017 MD Anderson Distinguished Research Faculty Mentor Award, MD Anderson Cancer Center|
|2017||Faculty Educator of the Month, MD Anderson Cancer Center|
|2016||Anna Fuller Foundation Scholar, Anna Fuller Foundation|
|2016||President's Scholar, UT MD Anderson Cancer Center|
|2014||Research Scholar, American Cancer Society|
|2013||Outstanding Faculty Member, Genes and Development, Genes and Development Program, UT MD Anderson Cancer Center|
|1997||Council of Scientific and Industrial Research, Government of India|
- Minogue AL, Tackett MR, Atabakhsh E, Tejada G, Arur S. Functional genomic analysis identifies miRNA repertoire regulating C. elegans oocyte development. Nat Commun 9(1):5318, 2018. e-Pub 2018. PMID: 30552320.
- Furuta T, Joo HJ, Trimmer KA, Chen SY, Arur S. GSK-3 promotes S phase entry and progression in C. elegans germline stem cells to maintain tissue output. Development 14(145):10, 2018. e-Pub 2018. PMID: 29695611.
- Das D, Arur S. Conserved insulin signaling in the regulation of oocyte growth, development, and maturation. Mol Reprod Dev 84(6):444-459, 2017. e-Pub 2017. PMID: 28379636.
- Burton NO, Furuta T, Webster AK, Kaplan RE, Baugh LR, Arur S, Horvitz HR. Insulin-like signalling to the maternal germline controls progeny response to osmotic stress. Nat Cell Biol 19(3):252-257, 2017. e-Pub 2017. PMID: 28166192.
- Arur S. Signaling-Mediated Regulation of Meiotic Prophase I and Transition During Oogenesis. Results Probl Cell Differ 59:101-123, 2017. PMID: 28247047.
- Gervaise AL, Arur S. Spatial and Temporal Analysis of Active ERK in the C. elegans Germline. J Vis Exp(117), 2016. e-Pub 2016. PMID: 27929466.
- Snee MJ, Wilson WC, Zhu Y, Chen SY, Wilson BA, Kseib C, O'Neal J, Mahajan N, Tomasson MH, Arur S, Skeath JB. Collaborative Control of Cell Cycle Progression by the RNA Exonuclease Dis3 and Ras is Conserved Across Species. Genetics 203(2):749-62, 2016. e-Pub 2016. PMID: 27029730.
- McCallum KC, Liu B, Fierro-González JC, Swoboda P, Arur S, Miranda-Vizuete A, Garsin DA. TRX-1 Regulates SKN-1 Nuclear Localization Cell Non-autonomously in Caenorhabditis elegans. Genetics 203(1):387-402, 2016. e-Pub 2016. PMID: 26920757.
- Mattingly HH, Chen JJ, Arur S, Shvartsman SY. A Transport Model for Estimating the Time Course of ERK Activation in the C. elegans Germline. Biophys J 109(11):2436-45, 2015. PMID: 26636953.
- Drake M, Furuta T, Suen KM, Gonzalez G, Liu B, Kalia A, Ladbury JE, Fire AZ, Skeath JB, Arur S. A Requirement for ERK-Dependent Dicer Phosphorylation in Coordinating Oocyte-to-Embryo Transition in C. elegans. Dev Cell 31(5):614-628, 2014. PMID: 25490268.
- Arur S, Schedl T. Generation and purification of highly specific antibodies for detecting post-translationally modified proteins in vivo. Nat Protoc 9(2):375-95, 2014. e-Pub 2014. PMID: 24457330.
- Putty K, Marcus SA, Mittl PR, Bogadi LE, Hunter AM, Arur S, Berg DE, Sethu P, Kalia A. Robustness of Helicobacter pylori Infection Conferred by Context-Variable Redundancy among Cysteine-Rich Paralogs. PLoS One 8(3):e59560, 2013. e-Pub 2013. PMID: 23555707.
- Yokoo R, Zawadzki KA, Nabeshima K, Drake M, Arur S, Villeneuve AM. COSA-1 Reveals Robust Homeostasis and Separable Licensing and Reinforcement Steps Governing Meiotic Crossovers. Cell 149(1):75-87, 2012. PMID: 22464324.
- Arur S, Ohmachi M, Berkseth M, Nayak S, Hansen D, Zarkower D, Schedl T. MPK-1 ERK Controls Membrane Organization in C. elegans Oogenesis via a Sex-Determination Module. Dev Cell 20(5):677-88, 2011. PMID: 21571224.
- Green RA, Kao HL, Audhya A, Arur S, Mayers JR, Fridolfsson HN, Schulman M, Schloissnig S, Niessen S, Laband K, Wang S, Starr DA, Hyman AA, Schedl T, Desai A, Piano F, Gunsalus KC, Oegema K. A High-Resolution C. elegans Essential Gene Network Based on Phenotypic Profiling of a Complex Tissue. Cell 145(3):470-82, 2011. PMID: 21529718.
- Howell K, Arur S, Schedl T, Sundaram MV. EOR-2 is an Obligate Binding Partner of the BTB-zinc Finger Protein EOR-1 in Caenorhabditis elegans. Genetics 184(4):899-913, 2010. e-Pub 2010. PMID: 20065070.
- Hadwiger G, Dour S, Arur S, Fox P, Nonet ML. A monoclonal antibody toolkit for C. elegans. PLoS One 5(4):e10161, 2010. e-Pub 2010. PMID: 20405020.
- Arur S, Ohmachi M, Nayak S, Hayes M, Miranda A, Hay A, Golden A, Schedl T. Multiple ERK substrates execute single biological processes in Caenorhabditis elegans germ-line development. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 106(12):4776-81, 2009. e-Pub 2009. PMID: 19264959.
- Lee MH, Ohmachi M, Arur S, Nayak S, Francis R, Church D, Lambie E, Schedl T. Multiple functions and dynamic activation of MPK-1 extracellular signal-regulated kinase signaling in Caenorhabditis elegans germline development. Genetics 177(4):2039-62, 2007. PMID: 18073423.
- Arur S, Uche UE, Rezaul K, Fong M, Scranton V, Cowan AE, Mohler W, Han DK. Annexin I is an endogenous ligand that mediates apoptotic cell engulfment. Dev Cell 4(4):587-98, 2003. PMID: 12689596.
- Aryal NK, Pant V, Wasylishen AR, Rimel B, Baseler L, El-Naggar AK, Mutch DG, Goodfellow PJ, Arur S, Lozano G. Dicer1 phospho-mimetic promotes tumor progression and dissemination. Cancer Res. e-Pub 2019. PMID: 30914430.
- Aryal NK, Pant V, Wasylishen AR, Parker-Thornburg J, Baseler L, El-Naggar AK, Liu B, Kalia A, Lozano G, Arur S. Constitutive Dicer1 phosphorylation accelerates metabolism and aging in vivo. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. e-Pub 2018. PMID: 30593561.
- Lopez AL, Chen J, Joo HJ, Drake M, Shidate M, Kseib C, Arur S. DAF-2 and ERK Couple Nutrient Availability to Meiotic Progression during Caenorhabditis elegans Oogenesis. Dev Cell. e-Pub 2013. PMID: 24120884.
- Berkseth M, Ikegami K, Arur S, Lieb JD, Zarkower D. TRA-1 ChIP-seq reveals regulators of sexual differentiation and multilevel feedback in nematode sex determination. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. e-Pub 2013. PMID: 24046365.
- Suen KM, Lin CC, George R, Melo FA, Biggs ER, Ahmed Z, Drake MN, Arur S, Arold ST, Ladbury JE. Interaction with Shc prevents aberrant Erk activation in the absence of extracellular stimuli. Nat Struct Mol Biol. e-Pub 2013. PMID: 23584453.
- Chen JJ, Arur S. Discovering Functional ERK Substrates Regulating Caenorhabditis elegans Germline Development. Methods Mol Biol 1487:317-335, 2017. PMID: 27924578.
- Arur S. Context-dependent regulation of Dicer activity and small RNA production: Implications to oocyte-to-embryo transition. Worm 4(4):e1086062, 2015. e-Pub 2015. PMID: 27123367.
Books (edited and written)
- Arur, S. Signaling-Mediated Control of Germ Cells- From Oogenesis to Oocyte-to-Embryo Development. In: Results in Problems and Differentiation. Ed(s) Swathi Arur. Spinger, 2017.