About Dr. Yusuf
Dr. S.Wamique Yusuf is an Associate Professor of Medicine at the University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center. He obtained his medical degree from Dow Medical College, Karachi, Pakistan. He pursued his Internal Medicine training in the United Kingdom, where his research included; prospective studies on the effect of helicobacter pylori on fibrinogen level in elderly population with coronary artery disease and impact of spironolacatone on quality of life in elderly patients with heart failure. He moved to USA in 1996 and completed his cardiology fellowship at the University of Texas, Houston. He is a member of the Royal College of Physicians of Ireland and a fellow of the American College of Cardiology. He is heavily involved in the clinical training of fellows and medical students and is also the Program Co-Director for the ACC Cardiovascular Board Review. He is board certified in internal medicine and cardiology. He is a clinical cardiologist, with a research interest in the cardiovascular side effects of radiation therapy and management of coronary artery disease, valvular disease, and pulmonary embolism in cancer population.
Professor, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
Professor, Texas A&M University, Houston, TX
Acute myocardial infarction in cancer patients
Valvular heart disease in cancer patients
Cardiovascular effects of radiation therapy
Pulmonary embolism in cancer patients
|1986||Dow Medical College, Karachi, PAK, MBBS, Medicine|
|1998-2001||Cardiology Fellow, University of Texas, Houston, TX|
|1996-1998||Resident, Internal Medicine, University of Texas, Houston, TX|
|1993-1996||Registrar, Department of Medicine, Derbyshire Royal Infirmary, England|
|1993-1993||Registrar, Department of Medicine for the Elderly, University Hospital, Nottingham|
|1992-1993||Registrar, Department of Medicine, Derby City Hospital for the Elderly, England|
|1992-1992||Registrar, Department of Medicine, Derby City Hospital, England|
|1989-1992||Senior House Officer, General Medicine, Bassetlaw General Hospital- Workshop, Nottinghamshire|
|1989-1989||Senior House Officer, General Medicine, Weston General Hospital, England|
|1989-1989||Senior House Officer, Department of Health Care of the Elderly, University Hospital, Nottingham|
|1988-1988||Senior House Officer, General Medicine, Royal Preston Hospital, England|
|2003||American Board of Internal Medicine, Cardiovascular Disease|
|2000||American Internal Board of Medicine|
|1993||Internal Medicine, Royal College of Physicians of Ireland|
Associate Professor, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2009 - 2016
Assistant Professor, Department of Department of Cardiology, Division of Division of Internal Medicine, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2001 - 2009
- Wang H, Liao Z, Zhuang Y, Liu Y, Levy LB, Xu T, Yusuf SW, Gomez DR. Incidental Receipt of Cardiac Medications and Survival Outcomes Among Patients With Stage III Non-Small-Cell Lung Cancer After Definitive Radiotherapy. Clin Lung Cancer 16(2):128-36, 2015. e-Pub 2014. PMID: 25450873.
- Gomez DR, Yusuf SW, Munsell MF, Welsh JW, Liao Z, Lin SH, Pan HY, Chang JY, Komaki R, Cox JD, McAleer MF, Grosshans DR. A Prospective Exploratory Analysis of Cardiac Biomarkers and Electrocardiogram Abnormalities in Patients Receiving Thoracic Radiation Therapy with High-Dose Heart Exposure. J Thorac Oncol 9(10):1554-1560, 2014.
- Yusuf SW, Solhpour A, Banchs J, Lopez-Mattei JC, Durand JB, Iliescu C, Hassan SA, Qazilbash MH. Cardiac amyloidosis. Expert Rev Cardiovasc Ther 12(2):265-77, 2014. e-Pub 2014. PMID: 24386926.
- Solhpour A, Yusuf SW. Fibrinolytic therapy in patients with ST-elevation myocardial infarction. Expert Rev Cardiovasc Ther 12(2):201-15, 2014. e-Pub 2013. PMID: 24325320.
- Yusuf SW, Zalpour A. Antithrombotic therapy and invasive procedures. N Engl J Med 369(11):1077-8, 2013. PMID: 24024856.
- Elgharably Y, Iliescu Cezar, Sdringola S, Yusuf SW. Case Report: Headache: A Symptom of Acute Myocardial Infarction. European Journal of Cardiovascular Medicine 2(3):170-4, 2013.
- Yusuf SW, Negi SI, Lenihan DJ. Infiltrative cardiomyopathy and pericardial disease. Semin Oncol 40(2):199-209, 2013. PMID: 23540745.
- Yusuf SW, Daraban N, Abbasi N, Lei X, Durand JB, Daher IN. Treatment and outcomes of acute coronary syndrome in the cancer population. Clin Cardiol 35(7):443-50, 2012. e-Pub 2012. PMID: 22588943.
- Fadol AP, Lech T, Bickford C, Yusuf SW. Pregnancy in a Patient With Cancer and Heart Failure: Challenges and Complexities. Journal of Advance Practitioner Oncology 3:85-93, 2012.
- Fadul N, Strasser F, Palmer JL, Yusuf SW, Guo Y, Li Z, Allo J, Bruera E. The association between autonomic dysfunction and survival in male patients with advanced cancer: a preliminary report. J Pain Symptom Manage 39(2):283-90, 2010. PMID: 20152590.
- Yusuf SW, Iliescu C, Bathina JD, Daher IN, Durand JB. Antiplatelet therapy and percutaneous coronary intervention in patients with acute coronary syndrome and thrombocytopenia. Texas Heart Institute 37(3):336-40, 2010.
- Bathina JD, Daher IN, Plana JC, Durand JB, Yusuf SW. Acute myocardial infarction associated with non-bacterial thrombotic endocarditis. Texas Heart Institute Journal 37:208-12, 2010.
- Heir JS, Gottumukkala V, Singh M, Yusuf SW, Riedel B. Coronary stents and noncardiac surgery: current clinical challenges and conundrums. Prev Cardiol 13(1):8-13, 2010. PMID: 20021620.
- Qazilbash MH, Amjad AI, Qureshi S, Qureshi SR, Saliba RM, Khan ZU, Hosing C, Giralt SA, De Lima MJ, Popat UR, Yusuf SW, Champlin RE. Outcome of allogeneic hematopoietic stem cell transplantation in patients with low left ventricular ejection fraction. Biol Blood Marrow Transplant 15(10):1265-70, 2009. e-Pub 2009.
- Gayed I, Gohar S, Liao Z, McAleer M, Bassett R, Yusuf SW. The clinical implications of myocardial perfusion abnormalities in patients with esophageal or lung cancer after chemoradiation therapy. Int J Cardiovasc Imaging 25(5):487-95, 2009. PMID: 19234869.
- Yusuf SW. Recording patient data: get to the point. Clin Cardiol 32(2):109, 2009. PMID: 19215013.
- Gayed IW, Liu HH, Wei X, Liao Z, Yusuf SW, Chang JY, Bassett R, Komaki R. Patterns of cardiac perfusion abnormalities after Chemoradiotherapy in patients with lung cancer. J Thorac Oncol 4(2):179-84, 2009. PMID: 19179893.
- Chandra S, Lenihan DJ, Wei W, Yusuf SW, Tong AT. Myocardial perfusion imaging and cardiovascular outcomes in a cancer population. Tex Heart Inst J 36(3):205-13, 2009.
- Yusuf SW, Durand JB, Lenihan DJ, Swafford J. Dextrocardia: an incidental finding. Tex Heart Inst J 36(4):358-9, 2009.
- Yusuf SW, Daher IN. Thrombolytics for PE and right ventricular dysfunction. Lancet 372(9637):447, 2008. PMID: 18692710.
- Yusuf SW, Razeghi P, Yeh ET. The diagnosis and management of cardiovascular disease in cancer patients. Curr Probl Cardiol 33(4):163-96, 2008. PMID: 18319102.
- Yusuf SW, Troung MT, Lenihan DJ. Air embolism in the right ventricle. Intern Med J 37(9):660-1, 2007. PMID: 17714208.
- Burjonroppa SC, Tong AT, Xiao LC, Johnson MM, Yusuf SW, Lenihan DJ. Cancer patients with markedly elevated B-type natriuretic peptide may not have volume overload. Am J Clin Oncol 30(3):287-93, 2007. PMID: 17551307.
- Yusuf SW, Bhalla KS, Champion JC. Intracranial bleed mimicking acute myocardial infarction. Intern Med J 37(5):339-40, 2007. PMID: 17504285.
- Yusuf SW, Durand JB, Lenihan DJ. Wrap beats. Am J Med 120(5):417-9, 2007. PMID: 17466651.
- Sarkiss MG, Yusuf SW, Warneke CL, Botz G, Lakkis N, Hirch-Ginsburg C, Champion JC, Swafford J, Shaw AD, Lenihan DJ, Durand JB. Impact of aspirin therapy in cancer patients with thrombocytopenia and acute coronary syndromes. Cancer 109(3):621-7, 2007. PMID: 17167763.
- Rahman AM, Yusuf SW, Ewer MS. Anthracycline-induced cardiotoxicity and the cardiac-sparing effect of liposomal formulation. Int J Nanomedicine 2(4):567-83, 2007. PMID: 18203425.
- Strasser F, Palmer JL, Schover LR, Yusuf SW, Pisters K, Vassilopoulou-Sellin R, DeGracia B, Willey JS, Bruera E. The impact of hypogonadism and autonomic dysfunction on fatigue, emotional function, and sexual desire in male patients with advanced cancer: a pilot study. Cancer 107(12):2949-57, 2006. PMID: 17103445.
- Gayed IW, Liu HH, Yusuf SW, Komaki R, Wei X, Wang X, Chang JY, Swafford J, Broemeling L, Liao Z. The prevalence of myocardial ischemia after concurrent chemoradiation therapy as detected by gated myocardial perfusion imaging in patients with esophageal cancer. J Nucl Med 47(11):1756-62, 2006. PMID: 17079807.
- Yusuf SW. The Decline of Academic Medicine. Lancet 368(9532):284, 2006. PMID: 16860692.
- Yusuf SW, Ali SS, Swafford J, Durand JB, Bodey GP, Chemaly RF, Kontoyiannis DP, Tarrand J, Rolston KV, Yeh E, Raad II, Safdar A. Culture-positive and culture-negative endocarditis in patients with cancer: a retrospective observational study, 1994-2004. Medicine (Baltimore) 85(2):86-94, 2006. PMID: 16609347.
- Yusuf SW, Woods M, Swafford J. Medical image. Pulmonary grume. N Z Med J 119(1240):U2126, 2006. PMID: 16924277.
- Yusuf SW, Durand JB. Management of heart failure in the elderly. Am J Med 118(12):1446; author reply 1447-8, 2005. PMID: 16378818.
- Yusuf SW. Bedside teaching of medical students. Am J Med 118(11):1304-5; author reply 1305, 2005. PMID: 16271932.
- Yusuf SW, McLean KA, Mishra RA. Thrombolytic therapy for eligible elderly patients with acute myocardial infarction. Am Heart J 149(5):325-6; author reply e27, 2005. PMID: 15894948.
- Sdringola S, Nakagawa K, Nakagawa Y, Yusuf SW, Boccalandro F, Mullani N, Haynie M, Hess MJ, Gould KL. Combined intense lifestyle and pharmacologic lipid treatment further reduce coronary events and myocardial perfusion abnormalities compared with usual-care cholesterol-lowering drugs in coronary artery disease. J Am Coll Cardiol 41:263-72, 2003. PMID: 12535820.
- Yusuf SW, Mishra RM. Effect of Helicobacter pylori infection on fibrinogen level in elderly patients with ischemic heart disease. Acta Cardiol 57:317-22, 2002. PMID: 12405567.
- Moustapha A, Assali AR, Sdringola S, Yusuf SW, Vaughn WK, Fish RD, Schroth GW, Krajcer Z, Rosales OR, Smalling RW, Anderson HV. Abciximab administration and clinical outcomes after percutaneous intervention for in-stent restenosis. Catheter Cardiovasc Interv 56:184-7, 2002. PMID: 12112910.
- Yusuf SW, Rehman Q, Casscells W. Cardiomyopathy in association with selenium deficiency: a case report. JPEN J Parenter Enteral Nutr 26:63-6, 2002. PMID: 11833754.
- Yusuf SW. Transient ptosis and miosis after rugby injury. J Royal Soc Med 91:113-4, 1998. PMID: 9602759.
- Yusuf SW, Mishra RM. Ptosis in an elderly man. Postgrad Med J 73:55-7, 1997. PMID: 9039417.
- Yusuf SW, Booth SA, Mishra RM. Falls and urinary incontinence in a 66-year-old woman. Lancet 347:1738, 1996. PMID: 8656908.
- Yusuf, SW, Mishra RM. Use of Spironolactone in severe end stage congestive cardiac failure in elderly patients. Cardiology in the Elderly 4:105-109, 1996.
- Yusuf SW, Mishra RM. Hepatic dysfunction associated with atenolol. Lancet 346:192, 1995. PMID: 7603264.
- Gul Z, Bashir Q, Cremer M, Yusuf SW, Gunaydin H, Arora S, Slone S, Nieto Y, Sherwani N, Parmar S, Shah N, Dinh YT, Hosing CM, Popat UR, Kebriaei P, Shpall EJ, Giralt SA, Champlin RE, Qazilbash MH. Short-term cardiac toxicity of autologous hematopoietic stem cell transplant for multiple myeloma. Leuk Lymphoma:1-3. e-Pub 2014. PMID: 24882259.
- Yusuf SW, Gladish G, Lenihan DJ, Lei X, Durand JB, Swafford J, Daher IN. Computerized Tomographic Finding of Saddle Pulmonary Embolism is associated with High Mortality in Cancer Patients. Intern Med J. e-Pub 2009. PMID: 19220554.
- Qureshi S, Bukhari F, Saliba RM, Hosing C, Champlin RE, Giralt GA, De Lima MJ, Yusuf SW, Qazilbash MH. Outcome of allogenic ST in patients with low left ventricular ejection fraction. Journal of Clinical Oncology 25 (18S):7099, 2007.
- Salcedo P, Shpall E, Yusuf S. W, Roberson M, Woods M, Lenihan D, Durand JB. Acute heart failure in bone marrow transplantation: Impact of intravenous immune globulin as adjuvant therapy. Journal of Clinical Oncology, 2006 ASCO Annual Meeting Proceedings Part I. Vol 24, No. 18S, June 20, Suppl 16512, 2006.
- Sdringola S, Boccalandro F, Yusuf SW, Loghin C, Gould KL. Overall Myocardial Perfusion Changes by Positron Emission Tomography Throughout the Entire Coronary Vascular tree but not changes Limited to the Region With the Most Severe Baseline Defect Predict Coronary Events. Presented at ACC 2006, 55th Annual Scientific Session, Atlanta, 2006.