Meet Terri Woodard, M.D.
About Dr. Terri L. Woodard
Dr. Terri L. Woodard is an Associate Professor in the Department of Gynecologic Oncology and Reproductive Medicine at MD Anderson Cancer Center. She holds a joint appointment in the Division of Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility at Baylor College of Medicine and Texas Children's Hospital Pavilion for Women. As a reproductive endocrinologist and infertility specialist, she has a specific interest in fertility preservation and family building for people diagnosed with cancer.
Dr. Woodard established the MD Anderson Oncofertility Program in 2012. Provided through the Department of Gynecologic Oncology and Reproductive Medicine and Baylor College of Medicine, the program includes a clinical service that offers fertility counseling prior to cancer treatment, as well as comprehensive fertility preservation and family-building services for men, women and children whose reproductive potential may or may have been impacted by cancer or its treatment.
Her research focuses on the psychosocial aspects of fertility preservation (FP), specifically investigating interventions that promote effective decision making and alleviate distress associated with potential cancer-related infertility. She and her team designed and produced an award-winning interactive, web-based decision aid (DA) called Pathways to support women with cancer who are considering fertility preservation. Her work has been funded by The NCORP Alliance for Clinical Trials in Oncology as well as the Duncan Family Institute Seed Funding Research Program. She also was a recipient of a National Comprehensive Cancer Network (NCCN), Young Investigator Award.
Dr. Woodard is a fellow of the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists, and a member of the American Society for Reproductive Medicine (ASRM). She is committed to generating awareness and knowledge of cancer-related infertility and dedicates a significant amount of time teaching the lay public, trainees and colleagues about the topic. She is also heavily involved in advocacy work, specifically with regard to improving access to fertility care for all who need it.
Associate Professor, Department of Gynecologic Oncology and Reproductive Medicine, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
Director, Oncofertility Program, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
Associate Professor, Department of Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Division of Division of Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX
|2002||University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, Pittsburgh, PA, USA, MD, Medicine|
|1998||Miami University, Oxford, OH, USA, BA, Microbiology and Black World Studies; Minor in Gerontological Studies|
|2011-2013||Certificate Program in Sexual Health, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI|
|2008-2011||Clinical Fellowship, Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility, Wayne State University School of Medicine, Detroit, MI|
|2002-2006||Clinical Residency, Obstetrics and Gynecology, MetroHealth Medical Center and the Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Cleveland, OH|
|2013||American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Reproductive Endocrinology|
|2009||American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology|
Institutional Committee Activities
Member, Oncofertility Steering Team, Texas Children's Hospital, 2015 - Present
Member, Continuing Medical Education (CME) Advisory Committee, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, 2015 - Present
Member, The Adolescent and Young Adult Cancer Program Steering Committee, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, 2014 - Present
Member, Prevention, HSR, QI and Survivorship Research Program Committee, Department of Gynecologic Oncology and Reproductive Medicine, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, 2014 - Present
Chair, National Infertility Awareness Week 2015 Planning Committee, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, 2014 - Present
Team Lead, Core Development Team, Practice Algorithm for Fertility Preservation Prior to Cancer Treatment, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center,, 2013 - Present
|2012||Detroit Medical Center Sophie Womack Women's Health Champion, Detroit Medical Center|
|2009||Pacific Coast Reproductive Society Annual Meeting In-Training Scholarship Award, Pacific Coast Reproductive Society|
|2007||Berlex Foundation Junior Faculty Development Award, Berlex Foundation|
|2006||Women's Reproductive Health Research Scholar, NIH|
|1998||Emerging Professional Award, Miami University|
|1995||Scholar-Leader Program, Miami University|
|1994||Harrison Scholar, Miami University|
- Woodard TL, Hoffman AS, Covarrubias LA, Holman D, Schover L, Bradford A, Hoffman DB, Mathur A, Thomas J, Volk RJ. The Pathways fertility preservation decision aid website for women with cancer: development and field testing. J Cancer Surviv 12(1):101-114, 2018. e-Pub 2017. PMID: 29034438.
- Woodard TL, Hoffman AS, Crocker LC, Holman DA, Hoffman DB, Ma J, Bassett RL, Leal VB, Volk RJ. Pathways: patient-centred decision counselling for women at risk of cancer-related infertility: a protocol for a comparative effectiveness cluster randomised trial. BMJ Open 8(2):e019994, 2018. e-Pub 2018. PMID: 29467138.
- Ramos Alarcon LG, Dai J, Collins K, Perez M, Woodard T, Diamond MP. Optimizing assessment of sexual arousal in postmenopausal women using erotic film clips. Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol 217:150-153, 2017. e-Pub 2017. PMID: 28910749.
- Bradford A, Woodard TL. Novel Psychological Intervention for Decision Support in Women Considering Fertility Preservation Before Cancer Treatment. J Adolesc Young Adult Oncol 6(2):348-352, 2017. e-Pub 2016. PMID: 27841939.
- Peavey M, Arian S, Gibbons W, Lu K, Gershenson D, Woodard T. On-Site Fertility Preservation Services for Adolescents and Young Adults in a Comprehensive Cancer Center. J Adolesc Young Adult Oncol 6(2):229-234, 2017. e-Pub 2016. PMID: 27845854.
- Kingsberg SA, Woodard, TL. Female sexual dysfunction: focus on low desire. Obstet Gynecol 125(2):477-86, 2015. PMID: 25569014.
- Woodson AH, Muse KI, Lin H, Jackson M, Mattair DN, Schover L, Woodard T, McKenzie L, Theriault RL, Hortobágyi GN, Arun B, Peterson SK, Profato J, Litton JK. Breast cancer, BRCA mutations and attitudes regarding pregnancy and preimplantation genetic diagnosis. Oncologist 19(8):797-804, 2014. e-Pub 2014. PMID: 24951607.
- Rich TA, Liu M, Etzel CJ, Bannon SA, Mork ME, Ready K, Saraiya DS, Grubbs EG, Perrier ND, Lu KH, Arun BK, Woodard TL, Schover LR, Litton JK. Comparison of attitudes regarding preimplantation genetic diagnosis among patients with hereditary cancer syndromes. Fam Cancer 13(2):291-9, 2014. e-Pub 2013. PMID: 24072553.
- Nebgen DR, Hartman CL, Rhodes H, Munsell M, Woodard TL, Lu KH. Abnormal uterine bleeding as the presenting symptom of hematopoietic cancer. Obstet Gynecol 123 Suppl 1:30S, 2014. PMID: 24770162.
- Woodard TL, Nowak NT, Balon R, Tancer M, Diamond MP. Brain activation patterns in women with acquired hypoactive sexual desire disorder and women with normal sexual function: a cross-sectional pilot study. Fertil Steril 100(4):1068-76, 2013. e-Pub 2013. PMID: 23830149.
- Woodard TL, Awonuga AO, Puscheck E. Malignant transformation of endometrioma in a woman with a history of ovulation induction and in vitro fertilization. Case Rep Med 2012:497362, 2012. e-Pub 2012. PMID: 23304157.
- Woodard TL, Collins K, Perez M, Balon R, Tancer ME, Kruger M, Moffat S, Diamond MP. What kind of erotic film clips should we use in female sex research? An exploratory study. J Sex Med 5(1):146-54, 2008. e-Pub 2007. PMID: 17956555.
- Woodard TL, Diamond MP. Contribution of imaging to our understanding of sexual function and dysfunction. Adv Psychosom Med 29:150-68, 2008. PMID: 18391562.
- Segraves R, Woodard T. Female hypoactive sexual desire disorder: History and current status. J Sex Med 3(3):408-18, 2006. PMID: 16681466.
- Young AJ, Ofori-Boateng T, Rodriguez KL, Plowman JL. Meaning and agency in discussing end-of-life care: a study of elderly veterans' values and interpretations. Qual Health Res 13(8):1039-62, 2003. PMID: 14556418.
- Woodard TL, Bolcun-Filas E. Prolonging Reproductive Life after Cancer: The Need for Fertoprotective Therapies. Trends Cancer 2(5):222-233, 2016. e-Pub 2016. PMID: 28741510.
- Woodard TL, Litton JK. Fertility preservation in women with breast cancer: challenges and opportunities. Oncology (Williston Park) 27(6):544, 546, 2013. PMID: 23909068.
- Woodard TL, Diamond MP. Physiologic measures of sexual function in women: a review. Fertil Steril 92(1):19-34, 2009. e-Pub 2008. PMID: 19046582.
Manuals, Teaching Aids, Other Teaching Publications
- Woodard T. ASRM Patient Education Video on Sexuality Wellness and Sexual Dysfunction. ASRM, 2014.
- Woodard T. Development of patient education video about fertility preservation. Volunteer Endowment for Patient Education Support (VEPS), 2014.
- Woodard T. Fertility and Cancer Pathfinder. MD Anderson Cancer Center Learning Centers, 2013.
- Litton J, Woodard, T 5 Fertility-Saving Options for Women Facing Cancer Treatment. Everyday Health Blog, 2014.
- Woodard T Health Literacy: Knowledge is Power. Thrive Detroit, 2012.
- Woodard T Sexual Health and You. Thrive Detroit, 2012.
- Woodard T You don't know what you've got 'til it's gone: Women and Decreased Sexual Desire. The Michigan Medical Assistant Journal Winter, 2011.
- Woodard T Pregnancy Preparedness. The Injection Connection a publication from the endocrinology and diabetes teams of Children's Hospital of Michigan Winter, 2010.
- Arian SE, Sams C, Bedi DG, Munsell MF, Lu KH, Woodard, TL. Correlation between Anti-mullerian Hormone (AMH) Levels and Non-Day 3 Antral Follicle Count (AFC) in Patients with Cancer. Reproductive Sciences 23(suppl 1):336A, 2016.
- Woodard TL, Peavey M, Mehr SA, Gibbons WE, Lu KH, Gershenson DM. Utilization of an on-site oncofertility service at comprehensive cancer center. J Clin Oncol 33(suppl):abstr e17573, 2015.
- Adams J, Woodard T, Valdes C, Gibbons W, Kovanci E. Random-Start Controlled Ovarian Hyperstimulation (COH) for Fertility Preservation in Cancer Patients: a Comparison Between Luteal and Non-luteal Start. American Society for Reproductive Medicine Annual Meeting, Honolulu, Hawaii, 2014.
- Adams J, Schutt A, Gibbons W, Woodard T. Emergency IVF for Embryo Cryopreservation Prior to Oophorectomy for Serous Borderline Ovarian Tumor. Armed Forces District Annual Meeting, 2014.
- Nebgen DR, Hartman CL, Rhodes H, Munsell MS, Woodard TL, Lu KH. Abnormal Uterine Bleeding as the Presenting Symptom of Hematopoietic Cancer. American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists Annual Clinical Meeting, Chicago, IL, 2014.
- Lupo P, Chi CH, Danysh HE, Scheurer ME, Suzawa H, Woodard TL, Okcu MF, Gibbons WE. Clinical and Genetic Predictors of Impaired Fertility in Female Survivors of Childhood Cancer. American Society of Preventive Oncology, Arlington, VA, 2014.
- Holman LL, Fellman B, Urbauer DL, Kovanci E, Lu KH, Woodard TL. BRCA Mutation Status is not Associated with Diminished Ovarian Reserve among Women at High Risk for Ovarian Cancer. Society of Gynecologic Oncologists Annual Meeting, Tampa FL, 2014.
- Woodard TL. The Provision of Fertility Services Within a Tertiary Cancer Center. 2014 Cancer Survivorship Research Symposium, MDACC, Houston, TX, 2014.
- Murthy RK, Lin H Schover LR, Theriault RL, Valero V, Woodard TL, Hodge S, Litton JK. Women Diagnosed with Breast Cancer During Pregnancy Achieve Improved Emotional Well-Being as a Result of Their Cancer Experience. San Antonio Breast Cancer Symposium, San Antonio, TX, 2013.
- Franklin AR, Kovanci E, Bell D, Woodard TL. Successful Harvesting of Oocytes for Cryopreservation after Initiation of Chemotherapy and Gnrh Analogue Administration. Critical Mass Annual Conference, Cleveland, Ohio, 2013.
- Adams J, Woodard T, Valdes C, Gibbons W, Kovanci E. Random-Start Controlled Ovarian Hyperstimulation for Fertility Preservation in Cancer patients: A Case Series. Northwestern Oncofertility Consortium Conference, Chicago, IL, 2013.
- Woodard TL, Kovanci E. Fertility Services within a Cancer Center: The MD Anderson - Baylor College of Medicine Experience. Northwestern Oncofertility Consortium Conference, Chicago, IL, 2013.
- Nowak NT, Woodard TL, Moffat SD, Tancer M, Balon R, Diamond MP. Brain Activation during Viewing of Sexually Explicit Videos in Women with Normal Sexual Desire and Women with Hypoactive Sexual Desire Disorder (HSDD). Society for Neuroscience Annual Meeting, San Diego, CA, 2010.
- Woodard TL. Addressing Fertility Concerns in Patients with Cancer: How We Can Improve. In: Breast Diseases: A Year Book Quarterly, 27-29, 2015.
- Woodard TL, Johnson S, Puscheck EE. Ultrasound imaging of fibroids and infertility. In: Ultrasonography in Gynecology. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 288-297, 2014.
- Puscheck E, Woodard T. Infertility. In: eMedicine. WebMD, 2009.
Letters to the Editor
|Title:||Physiologic Methods of Measuring Female Sexual Function|
|Funding Source:||NIH/National Institute of Child Health and Human Development|
|Title:||The Impact of Obesity of Women's Sexual Function|
|Funding Source:||The American College of Obstetrics and Gynecology and Boehringer Ingelheim Pharmaceuticals Inc. Research Award in Female Sexual Dysfunction|