About Dr. Vu
Following completion of a neuroradiololgy fellowship at the University of Texas Southwestern Medical School, Dr. Thinh Vu’s contributions have been both clinical and academic since he joined the Division of Diagnostic Imaging at the University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center in July 2007.When Dr. Vu joined the faculty in neuroradiology, there was a gap in expertise in diagnostic imaging of the parathyroid gland while simultaneously the number of cases was increasing. He accepted the challenge of learning to interpret the 4D CT imaging of the parathyroid that had been originated and refined at MDACC. In addition, he continued to improve the technique and use it to determine the location of the abnormal parathyroid gland in complicated cases with failed surgeries at outside hospitals. As the endocrine and surgical parathyroid services increased, so did his knowledge and reputation. Dr. Vu is an integral part of MDACC multidisciplinary team that cares for patient with parathyroid disease. His expertise is in neurointervenional ultrasound (NIRUS). He routinely supports the surgeons in the operating room, one of the most difficult areas where radiologists are called upon to serve. His excellence in performing the most difficult biopsies is recognized by the fact that he routinely cares for pediatric patients. Biopsies of the soft tissues of the neck in these patients are particularly difficult. Dr. Vu has been invited to speak at all levels of training. As a researcher, he has been a collaborator on many projects with colleagues from other specialties.
Associate Professor, Division of Diagnostic Imaging, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
Evaluating localization of parathyroid adenomas by 4DCT and combination of SPEC T -CT and 4DCT Ultrasound diagnosis of intrathyroiddal parathyroid adenomas Intraoperative ultrasound biopsy in the head and neck cancer patients
|2001||Texas A&M University Health Science Center, College Station, TX, USA, MD, Medicine|
|1997||The University of Texas, Austin, TX, USA, BA, Biology|
|2006-2007||Clinical Fellowship, Department of Radiology, Neuroradiology, University of Texas Southwestern, Dallas, TX|
|2002-2006||Clinical Residency, Diagnostic Radiology, Nassau University Medical Center, East Meadow, NY|
|2001-2002||Clinical Internship, Internal Medicine, Maricopa Medical Center, Phoenix, AZ|
|2011||American Board of Radiology Certificate of Additional Qualification in Neuroradiology|
|2006||American Board of Radiology|
Assistant Professor, Department of Diagnostic Radiology, Division of Diagnostic Imaging, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2007 - 2013
- Ray P, Vu TH, Romero M, Perrier ND. Limiting the risks of radiation exposure in diagnostic imaging. Surgery 156(6):1297-9, 2014. e-Pub 2014. PMID: 25456899.
- Ahmed S, Hamilton J, Colen R, Schellingerhout D, Vu TH, Rao G, McAleer MF, Mahajan A. Change in postsurgical cavity size within the first 30 days correlates with extent of surrounding edema: consequences for postoperative radiosurgery. J Comput Assist Tomogr 38(3):457-60, 2014. PMID: 24681852.
- Hunter GJ, Schellingerhout D, Vu TH, Perrier ND, Hamberg LM. Accuracy of four-dimensional CT for the localization of abnormal parathyroid glands in patients with primary hyperparathyroidism. Radiology 264(3):789-95, 2012. e-Pub 2012. PMID: 22798226.
- Priest JR, Girirajan S, Vu TH, Olson A, Eichler EE, Portman MA. Rare copy number variants in isolated sporadic and syndromic atrioventricular septal defects. Am J Med Genet A 158A(6):1279-84, 2012. e-Pub 2012. PMID: 22529060.
- Abbott DE, Cantor SB, Grubbs EG, Santora R, Gomez HF, Evans DB, Lee JE, Vu TH, Perrier ND. Outcomes and economic analysis of routine preoperative 4-dimensional CT for surgical intervention in de novo primary hyperparathyroidism: does clinical benefit justify the cost?. J Am Coll Surg 214(4):629-37; discussion 637-9, 2012. e-Pub 2012. PMID: 22321526.
- Harris R, Ryu H, Vu TH, Kim E, Edeiken B, Grubbs EG, Perrier ND. Modern approach to surgical intervention of the thyroid and parathyroid glands. Semin Ultrasound CT MR 33(2):115-22, 2012. PMID: 22410359.
- Vu TH, Guha-Thakurta N, Harrell RK, Ahmed S, Kumar AJ, Johnson VE, Perrier ND, Hamberg LM, Hunter GJ, Schellingerhout D. Imaging characteristics of hyperfunctioning parathyroid adenomas using multiphase multidectector computed tomography: a quantitative and qualitative approach. J Comput Assist Tomogr 35(5):560-7, 2011. PMID: 21926850.
- Callender GG, Grubbs EG, Vu TH, Hofstetter WL, Fleming JB, Woodburn KL, Lee JE, Evans DB, Perrier ND. The fallen one: the inferior parathyroid gland that descends into the mediastinum. J Am Coll Surg 208(5):887-93; discussion 893-5, 2009. PMID: 19476855.
- Perrier ND, Edeiken B, Nunez R, Gayed I, Jimenez C, Busaidy N, Potylchansky E, Kee S, Vu TH. A novel nomenclature to classify parathyroid adenomas. World J Surg 33(3):412-6, 2009. PMID: 19148701.
- Chen YH, Velayudhan V, Weltman DI, Balsam D, Patel N, Draves KA, Robinson KA, Vu TH. Waiting to exhale: salvaging the nondiagnostic CT pulmonary angiogram by using expiratory imaging to improve contrast dynamics. Emerg Radiol 15(3):161-9, 2008. e-Pub 2008. PMID: 18189150.
- Mortenson MM, Evans DB, Lee JE, Hunter GJ, Schellingerhout D, Vu TH, Edeiken BS, Feng L, Perrier ND. Parathyroid exploration in the reoperative neck: improved preoperative localization with 4D-computed tomography. J Am Coll Surg 206(5):888-895; discussion 895-896, 2008. e-Pub 2008. PMID: 18471717.
- Philip M, Guerrero MA, Evans DB, Hunter GJ, Edeiken-Monroe BS, Vu TH, Perrier ND. Efficacy of 4D-CT preoperative localization in 2 patients with MEN 2A. J Surg Educ 65(3):182-5, 2008. PMID: 18571130.
- Vu TH, Chasen N, Bezerra R, Chavali L, Kwon M, Ahmed S, Kumar A, Perrier N. Atlas-guided 4DCT detection and classification of parathyroid adenomas. Proceedings of the ASNR 53rd Annual Meeting, 2015.
- Ahmed S, Ghazarian M, Debnam M, Vu TH, Clayman G. Imaging of differentiated thyroid cancer: pre-surgical planning, evaluation of locally aggressive disease, and intra-operative ultrasound. Proceedings of the American Society of Neuroradiology 53rd Annual Meeting, 2015.
- Vu TH, Kwon M, Shah K, Clayman G, Perrier N, Fornage B, Edieken B. The role of intra-operative ultrasound in head and neck oncology. Proceedings of the 48th Annual Conference of the American Society of Head and Neck Radiology, 2014.
- Vu TH, Wong F, Kappadath SC, Wong S, Perrier N, Guha-Thakurta N, Chuang H, Rohren E, Schellingerhout D. Localization of parathyroid adenomas by Tc99m sestamibi SPECT-CT, contrast-enhanced multiphase CT (4D-CT) and combination of SPECT_CT and 4D-CT. Proceedings of the American Society of Neuroradiology 52nd Annual Meeting, 2014.
- Kwon M, Debnam M, Vu TH, DiVito D, Grubbs E, Perrier N, Wei W, Fornage B, Edeiken-Monroe B. Ultrasound diagnosis of intrathyroid parathyroid adenoma: the importance of identification of the dominant polar vessel. Proceedings of the American Society of Neuroradiology 52nd Annual Meeting, 2014.
- Ahmed S, Hamilton J, Schellingerhout D, Vu TH, Rao G, McAleer M, Mahajan A. Post-operative surgical cavity size change is predicted by surrounding vasogenic edema. Proceedings of the American Society of Neuroradiology 50th Annual Meeting, 2012.
- Vu TH, Warneke C, Grubbs L, Jimenez C, Perrier N. Vitamin D supplementation does not alter size or perfusion of parathyroid adenomas. The proceedings of the International Association of Endocrine Surgery (IAES), 2011.
- Ahmed S, Khawja S, Vu TH, Shah K, Sturgis E, Stewart J, Ginsberg L. Ultrasound guided fine needle aspiration biopsy is useful in the evaluation of post-radiated lymph nodes in patients with oropharyngeal squamous cell carcinoma. Proceedings of the American Roentgen Ray Society 111th Annual Meeting, 2011.
- Vu TH Busaidy N, Guha-Thakurta N, Ahmed S, Grubbs, E, Urbauer D, Landry C, Kim E, Schellingerhout D, Perrier N. Primary hyperparathyroidism: comparison of 4D CT versus Sestmibi-SPECT/CT for Parathyroid Adenoma Localization. Proceedings Book of the American Society of Head and Neck Radiology 44th Annual Meeting, 2010.
- Vu TH, Ahmed S, Perrier ND, Guha-Thakurta N, Kumar AJ, Hamberg LM, Hunter GJ. Assessment of hyperfunctioning Parathyroid Adenomas Using Multiphase Multidetector CT. Proceedings of the American Society of Neuroradiology 47th Annual Meeting, 2009.
- Chen Y, Vu TH, Weltman DI. Sixteen row multi-detector computed tomographic angiography evaluation of vascular compromise of the extremities in acute trauma: initial experience. Proceedings of the American Roentgen Ray Society 104th Annual Meeting, 2004.
- Vu TH. Interesting case: multiplanar CT diagnosis of aortic injury. Proceedings of the Society of Gastrointestinal Radiology 64th Annual Meeting, 2004.
- Vu TH, Chen Y, Kardooni K, Krumenacker JH, Weltman DI. Multiplanar CT diagnosis of omental infarction in the emergent setting. Proceedings of the Society of Gastrointestinal Radiology 64th Annual Meeting, 2004.
- Chen Y, Vu TH, Weltman DI. Clinical application of 16-row multi-detector computed tomographic angiography in the evaluation of the extremities. Proceedings of the Radiological Society of North America 89th Meeting, 2003.
- Vu TH, Chen Y, Lev S. Imaging infectious and inflammatory processes of the suprathyoid neck. Proceedings of the American Society of Neuroradiology 41st Annual Meeting, 2003.
- Choi MH, Vu TH, Chen Y, Weltman DI. The use of 16-row multi-detector computed tomographic angiography in the evaluation of body trauma. Proceedings of the Society of Emergency Radiology, 2003.
- Vu TH, Tong C, Muthuchamy M.. Realtime measurement of attachment and detachment of crossbridges in intact cardiac sarcomeres. Proceedings of the Texas A&M System Health Science Center, 1998.
- Gule-Monroe MK, Kwon M, Shah KB, Johnson JM, Vu TH, Edeiken-Monroe BS. Ultrasound Characteristics and Ultrasound-Guided Fine-Needle Aspiration of Lymph Nodes in the Cervical Soft Tissues: A Radiology Perspective. In: Advanced Thyroid and Parathyroid Ultrasound. Springer International Publishing, 227-239, 2017.
- Rodgers SE, Vu TH, Ray RP, Edeiken-Monroe BS, Perrier ND. Adjunctive imaging modalities: MRI, CT, and 4D-CT. In: Parathyroid Surgery: Fundamental and Advanced Concepts. Plural Publishing: San Diego, 85-91, 2014.
- Grubbs EG. Edeiken BS, Gule MK, Monroe BJ, Kim E, Vu TH, Perrier ND. Preoperative parathyroid imaging for the endocrine surgeon. In: Handbook of Parathyroid Diseases: A Case Based Practical Guide. Springer: New York, 19-40, 2012.
- Landry CS, Grubbs EG, Edeiken-Monroe BS, Vu TH, Kim EE, Perrier ND. Parathyroid Imaging. In: The Handbook of Endocrine Surgery. World Scientific, 159-70, 2011.