Meet Toma Omofoye, M.D.
About Dr. Omofoye
Dr. Toma Omofoye is an Associate Professor in the Department of Breast Imaging at The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center in Houston, Texas. She graduated from University of West Georgia with summa cum laude honors. She completed medical training and Diagnostic Radiology at Duke University where she was inducted into the Alpha Omega Alpha medical honor society and served as Chief resident. She joined MD Anderson for Breast Imaging Fellowship and, upon its completion, became a member of the MD Anderson faculty.
Dr. Omofoye sees patients primarily at the MD Anderson The Woodlands Houston Area Location where she interprets breast imaging studies (breast ultrasounds, mammograms and MRIs) and performs imaging guided procedures. Her research interests include digital breast tomosynthesis and novel educational methods. She has a passion for global health and education.
Present Title & Affiliation
Associate Professor, Department of Breast Imaging, Division of Diagnostic Imaging, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
Global Health, Education of radiology trainees, Imaging of breast cancer and breast diseases in pregnant or lactating patients,
Education & Training
|2009||Duke University School of Medicine, Durham, NC, USA, MD, Medicine|
|2014-2015||Clinical Fellowship, Breast Imaging, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX|
|2010-2014||Clinical Residency, Diagnostic Radiology, Duke University School of Medicine, Durham, NC|
|2009-2010||Clinical Internship, Medicine, Duke University School of Medicine, Durham, NC|
|2015||American Board of Radiology|
|2015||International Society for Clinical Densitometry|
Experience & Service
Assistant Professor, Department of Breast Imaging, Division of Diagnostic Imaging, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2019 - 2021
Assistant Professor, Department of Diagnostic Radiology, Division of Diagnostic Imaging, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2015 - 2019
Institutional Committee Activities
Member, Diagnostic Imaging Clinical Radiology Education SubCommittee, 2020 - Present
Member, Diagnostic Imaging Faculty Functional Committee, 2020 - Present
Member, Diagnostic Imaging People and Development Committee, 2020 - Present
Member, Diagnostic Imaging People and Development - Mentorship Subgroup, 2020 - Present
Member, Academic Review Committee, 2020 - Present
Member, Breast Imaging Quality Workgroup, 2019 - 2022
The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center Representation, Memorial Hermann Quality Control Committee, 2018 - 2020
The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center Representation, Lead Interpreting Physician for Mammography Quality Standards Act - Memorial Hermann Northeast, 2018 - 2020
Member, Global Academic Programs Africa Steering Committee, 2016 - Present
Founding Member, RAD-AID, 2016 - Present
Honors & Awards
|2022||University of West Georgia Alumni Achievement Award in Science and Mathematics, University of West Georgia|
|2022||Outstanding Lecturer Award, School of Health Professions - Diagnostic Imaging Program, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center|
|2022||Faculty Educator of the Quarter, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center|
|2022||Viva La Vida Healthcare Honoree, The Houston Health Museum|
|2022||Outstanding Volunteer Award, American Board of Radiology|
|2021||SemiFinalist Best of Radiology Awards "Most Influential Researcher", AuntMinnie|
|2020||President's Recognition of Faculty Excellence in Education and Mentorship Advancement, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center|
|2019||Creating Moments in Medicine Award, Memorial Hermann Northeast|
|2019||Outstanding Volunteer Award, American Board of Radiology|
|2015||Radiology Resident Academic Development Award, Siemens-Association of University Radiologists Radiology Resident Development Program|
|2009||Alpha Omega Alpha Medical Honor Society, Alpha Omega Alpha Duke University Chapter|
|2005||Academic Recognition Scholarship Commendation, Georgia State Assembly|
|2003||Goldwater Scholarship, The Barry Goldwater Scholarship and Excellence in Education Foundation|
- Karbasian N, Sohrabi S, Omofoye TS, Le-Petross H, Arun BK, Albarracin CT, Hess KR, Gutierrez-Barrera AM, Whitman GJ. Imaging features of triple negative breast cancer and the effect of BRCA mutations. Curr Probl Diagn Radiol 50(3):303-307, 2021. e-Pub 2020. PMID: 32033821.
- Omofoye TS, Parikh JR. Role of breast imaging radiologist as advocates for screening mammography. Journal of Breast Imaging 2(3):259-63. e-Pub 2020.
- Martaindale S, Omofoye TS, Teichgraeber DC, Hess KR, Whitman GJ. Imaging follow-up versus surgical excision for radial scars identified on tomosynthesis-guided core needle biopsy. Acad Radiol 27(3):389-394, 2020. e-Pub 2019. PMID: 31311772.
- Teichgraeber DC, Martaindale S, Omofoye TS, Hess KR, Parikh JR, Whitman GJ. Immediate migration of biopsy clip markers after upright digital breast tomosynthesis-guided vacuum assisted core biopsy. Acad Radiol 27(2):204-209, 2020. e-Pub 2019. PMID: 31076332.
- Omofoye TS, Parikh JR. How to survive and thrive as a new breast imager: what they don't teach in fellowship. Clin Imaging 54:121-125, 2019. e-Pub 2018. PMID: 30639522.
- Omofoye TS, Parikh JR, Kalambo M. The utility of digital breast tomosynthesis in axillary lymph node post clip mammography. Imaging Med 10(1):1-4, 2018.
- Omofoye TS, Martaindale S, Teichgraeber DC, Parikh JR. Implementation of upright digital breast tomosynthesis-guided stereotactic biopsy. Acad Radiol 24(11):1451-1455, 2017. e-Pub 2017. PMID: 28666725.
- Johnson KS, Soo MS, Holbrook AI, Omonuwa TS, Baker JA. Are screening MRI recall rates related to temperament or experience?. Radiological Society of North America 2012 Scientific Assembly and Annual Meeting, 2012.
- Dowdy D, Omofoye TS. Maternal fetal and women's imaging for global health. In: Radiology in Global Health: Strategies, Implementation and Applications. 2. Springer International Publishing: Switzerland, 243-260, 2019.