About Dr. Xie
Head and neck cancer is one of the most common cancers in the world. Our research projects are to investigate the molecular mechanism of development and progression of head and neck cancer, including deregulation of tumor suppressor genes and oncogenes. Also, our research involves the understanding of metabolic alterations in head and neck cancer, which are regulated with alterations of tumor suppressor genes and oncogenes. Our goal is to develop novel therapeutic strategies.
Instructor, Department of Head and Neck Surgery - Research, Division of Surgery, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
1. Signal tranduction regulation of oncogenes and tumor suppressor genes
3. Gene therapy
|2000||Oita Medical University, Oita, JPN, PHD, Philosophy|
|1987||Hebei Medical University, Shijiazhuang, CHN, MS, Medicine/Pathology|
|1983||Hebei Medical University, Shijiazhuang, CHN, MD, Medicine|
|2005-2006||Postdoctoral Fellow, Head and Neck Surgery, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX|
|2002-2005||Postdoctoral Fellow, Neurosurgery, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX|
|2000-2002||Postdoctoral Fellow, Endocrine Neoplasia and Hormonal Disorders, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX|
|1983-1984||Resident, Orthopedics, Baoding Hospital, Baoding, China|
|1981-1983||Intern, Hebei Medical University Affiliated Hospitals, Shijiazhuang|
|1998||The First Prize of Scientific and Technological Advance, The Scientific and Technological Committee of Hebei Province, China|
|1997||The Third Prize of Scientific and Technological Advance, The Scientific and Technological Committee of Hebei Province, China|
- Hunt PJ, Kabotyanski KE, Calin GA, Xie T, Myers JN, Amit M. Interrupting Neuron-Tumor Interactions to Overcome Treatment Resistance. Cancers (Basel) 12(12), 2020. e-Pub 2020. PMID: 33322770.
- Takahashi Y, Gleber-Netto FO, Bell D, Roberts D, Xie TX, Abdelmeguid AS, Pickering C, Myers JN, Hanna EY. Identification of markers predictive for response to induction chemotherapy in patients with sinonasal undifferentiated carcinoma. Oral Oncol 97:56-61, 2019. e-Pub 2019. PMID: 31421472.
- Takahashi Y, Gleber-Netto FO, Bell D, Roberts D, Xie TX, Abdelmeguid AS, Pickering C, Myers JN, Hanna EY. Identification of novel diagnostic markers for sinonasal undifferentiated carcinoma. Head Neck 41(8):2688-2695, 2019. e-Pub 2019. PMID: 30932264.
- Wang J, Xie T, Wang B, William WN, Heymach JV, El-Naggar AK, Myers JN, Caulin C. PD-1 Blockade Prevents the Development and Progression of Carcinogen-Induced Oral Premalignant Lesions. Cancer Prev Res (Phila) 10(12):684-693, 2017. e-Pub 2017. PMID: 29018057.
- Kupferman ME, Jiffar T, El-Naggar A, Yilmaz T, Zhou G, Xie T, Feng L, Wang J, Holsinger FC, Yu D, Myers JN. TrkB induces EMT and has a key role in invasion of head and neck squamous cell carcinoma. Oncogene 29(14):2047-59, 2010. e-Pub 2010. PMID: 20101235.
- Xie TX, Xia Z, Zhang N, Gong W, Huang S. Constitutive NF-kappaB activity regulates the expression of VEGF and IL-8 and tumor angiogenesis of human glioblastoma. Oncol Rep 23(3):725-32, 2010. PMID: 20127012.
- Kupferman ME, Jayakumar A, Zhou G, Xie T, Dakak-Yazici Y, Zhao M, Ju J, Mandal M, Jasser S, Madden T, Myers JN, Priebe W. Therapeutic suppression of constitutive and inducible JAK\STAT activation in head and neck squamous cell carcinoma. J Exp Ther Oncol 8(2):117-27, 2009. PMID: 20192118.
- Xie TX, Aldape KD, Gong W, Kanzawa T, Suki D, Kondo S, Lang F, Ali-Osman F, Sawaya R, Huang S. Aberrant NF-kappaB activity is critical in focal necrosis formation of human glioblastoma by regulation of the expression of tissue factor. Int J Oncol 33(1):5-15, 2008. PMID: 18575745.
- Zhou G, Xie TX, Zhao M, Jasser SA, Younes MN, Sano D, Lin J, Kupferman ME, Santillan AA, Patel V, Gutkind JS, Ei-Naggar AK, Emberley ED, Watson PH, Matsuzawa SI, Reed JC, Myers JN. Reciprocal negative regulation between S100A7/psoriasin and beta-catenin signaling plays an important role in tumor progression of squamous cell carcinoma of oral cavity. Oncogene 27(25):3527-38, 2008. PMID: 18223693.
- Xie TX, Huang F, Aldape KD, Kang SH, Liu M, Gershenwald JE, Xie K, Sawaya R, Huang S.. Activation of stat3 in human melanoma promotes brain metastasis. Cancer Research 66(6):3188-96, 2006.
- Liu, MG, Dai BB, Kang SH, Ban KC, Huang FJ, Lang FF, Aldape KD, Xie TX, Pelloski CE, Xie K, Sawaya R, and Huang S.. FoxM1 is Overexpressed in Human Glioblastomas and Critically Regulates Tumorigenecity of Glioma Cells. Cancer Research 66(7):3593-3602, 2006.
- Xie TX, Wei D, Liu M, Gao AC, Ali-Osman F, Sawaya R, Huang S. Stat3 activation regulates the expression of matrix metalloproteinase-2 and tumor invasion and metastasis. Oncogene 23:3550-3560, 2004.
- Molkentine JM, Molkentine DP, Bridges KA, Xie T, Yang L, Sheth A, Heffernan TP, Clump DA, Faust AZ, Ferris RL, Myers JN, Frederick MJ, Mason KA, Meyn RE, Pickering CR, Skinner HD. Targeting DNA damage response in head and neck cancers through abrogation of cell cycle checkpoints. Int J Radiat Biol:1-8. e-Pub 2020. PMID: 32073931.
- Curtis Pickering, Manish Kumar, Kathleen Bridges, Tongxin Xie, David Molkentine, Aakash Sheth, Liang Yang, Mitchell Frederick, Tim Heffernan, Sahil Seth, Jeffrey Myers, Heath D. Skinner. Targeting histone acetyltransferase (HAT) function for synthetic cytotoxicity in CREBBP/EP300 mutant tumors. Proceedings of the American Association for Cancer Research Annual Meeting 2019, 2019.
- Xie T. In-vivo shRNA screening identifies synthetic cytotoxicity in CREBBP/EP300 mutant head and neck cancer. AACR Meeting-2018, 2018.
- Xie T. In Vivo Screening Identifies ESR1 as a Clinically Relevant Target for Radiosensitization In HNSCC. International Journal of Radiation Oncology • Biology • Physics, 2018.
- Chenfei Huang, Shhyam Moorthy, Qiuli Li, Rami Saade, Jiping Wang, Xiayu Rao, Noriaki Tanaka, Jiexin Zhang, Lin Tang, Curtis R. Pickering, Patrick A. Zweidler-McKay, Abdullah A. Osman, Tong-Xin Xie, Eve Shinbrot, Liu Xi, David Wheeler, Adel K. El-Naggar, Jing Wang, Jeffrey N. Myers, Mitchell J. Frederick. NOTCH1 activation in head and neck squamous cell carcinoma leads to growth inhibition, changes in gene expression associated with early differentiation, and acquisition of stem cell-like properties. Proceedings of the American Association for Cancer Research Annual Meeting 2018, 2018.
- Colbert LE, Kumar M, Yang L, Molkentine D, Bridges, Kathleen, Myers JN, Xie T, Frederick MJ, Pickering C, Skinner, Heath. In Vivo shRNA Screening Reveals Differential Radiosensitization Within HPV+ and HPV- Head and Neck Squamous Cell Carcinomas. International Journal of Radiation Oncology*Biology*Physics, 2018.
- Tong-xin Xie, Ramya L. Parimi, Manish F. Kumar, Liang P. Yang, Jiping Wang, Sahil Seth, Carugo Alessandro, Christopher A. Bristow, Frederick Scott Robinson, Michael D. Peoples, Heath Skinner, Jeffrey N. Myers, Curtis R. Pickering, Mitchell J. Frederick. An in vivo high throughput shRNA screening platform for identifying ways to target genomic alterations [abstract]. Proceedings of the AACR-AHNS Head and Neck Cancer Conference: Optimizing Survival and Quality of Life through Basic, Clinical, and Translational Research, 2017.
- Curtis R. Pickering, Tong-xin Xie, Manish Kumar, Ramya L. Parimi, Liang P. Yang, Jiping Wang, Sahil Seth, Christopher A. Bristow, Alessandro Carugo, Frederick S. Robinson, Giulio F. Draetta, Heath Skinner, Mitchell J. Frederick, Jeffrey N. Myers. In vivo shRNA library screening to identify novel targets for head and neck squamous cell carcinoma [abstract]. Proceedings of the American Association for Cancer Research Annual Meeting 2017, 2017.
- Xie T, Zhou G, Zhao M, Lozano G, Brennan R, Myers JN. Serine substituion of proline at codon 151 of TP53 leads to anoikis resistance, soft agar growth, and enhanced in vivo tumorigenicity of head and neck cancer cells and a putative conformational change within a hydrophobic subdomain of the p53 protein. 4th International Workshop on Mutant p53: “In vivo effects of mutant p53: experimental data, animal, models, clinical consequences”, 2009.
- Zhou G, Xie TX, Zhao M, Jasser S, Younes M, Sano D, Lin J, Kupferman M, Santillan A, Patel V, Gutkind JS, El-Naggar A, Emberely E, Watson P, Matsuzawa S, Reed J, Myers JN. Reciprocal negative regulation between S100A7/psoriasin and beta-catenin signaling plays an important role in tumor progression of squamous cell carcinoma of oral cavity. American Association for Cancer Research Annual Meeting 2008, 2008.
- Xie TX, Zhou G, Jasser SA, Zhao M, Wu X, Myers JN. Detachment-induced over expression of XIAP promotes resistance to anoikis of oral squamous carcinoma cells by down-regulating Htra2-Omi through ubiquitination. American Association for Cancer Research Annual Meeting 2008, 2008.
- Zhou G, Xie TX, Zhao M, Jasser SA, Sano D, Kupferman M, El-Naggar A, Gutkind JS, Reed JC, Myers JN. Reciprocal negative regulation between S100A7/Psoriasin and beta-catenin signaling in SCCOC tumor progression. 7th International Conference on Head and Neck Cancer 2008, 2008.
- Zhou G, Zhao M, Xie TX, Jasser SA, Myers JN. Gain of function of p53 mutations disrupt the ATM-mediated DNA damage response in HNSCC cell lines. 7th International Conference on Head and Neck Cancer 2008, 2008.
- Xie TX, Zhou G, Zhao M, Jasser SA, Myers JN. A mutant p53 promotes anoikis resistance by down-regulating Bmf in oral squamous carcinoma cells. 7th International Conference on Head and Neck Cancer 2008, 2008.
- Zhou G, Mandal M, Jasser SA, Zhao M, Dakak-Yazici Y, Xie TX, Younes MN, Kupferman ME, Patel V, Gutkind JS, EI-Naggar AK, Emberley ED, Watson PH, Bucana CD, Myers JN. Psoriasin/S100A7 modulates β-catenin signaling and inhibits tumor growth and progression of oral cavity squamous cell carcinoma. American Association for Cancer Research Annual Meeting 2007, 2007.
- Aoki K, Misiumi J, Kimura T, Zhao W, Xie TX. Evaluation of Cutoff Levels for screening of gastric cancer using serum pepsinogen. Jan. J. Hyg 58(1):1, 2003.
- Aoki K, Misumi J, Zhao W, Kono A, Esaki, F, Xie TX, Zhang XH, Zhang ZG. Prevalence of helicobacter pylori infection in three areas with different gastric mortality rate in Zanhuang County in China. International Symposium on Biology of Cancer Prevention and Treatment 30, 1999.
- Zhao W, Zhang X, Aoki K, Zhang Z, Xie TX, Kudo M, Bo YH, Kono A, Mi JM, Akshi H, Esaki F, Kurakake S, Misumi J. Differences in drinking water composition between three areas with different gastric cancer motalityrates in Zanhuang county, China. International Symposium on Biology of Cancer Prevention and Treatment 30, 1999.
- Zhang X, Xie TX, Wang JL, Yan X, Lu LM, Wang ZY, Wang FR. Carcinogenesis studies of the extract of aspergillus versicolor culture on the human fetal lung tissues in vitro. The 6th World Conference on International Lung Cancer, 1991.
- Xie TX, Wang FR, Zhang ZD. Photolysis of sterigmatocystin by sunlight. Chinese Journal of Preventive Medicine 22:22, 1991.
- Wang FR, Zhang XH, Xie TX, Ma HJ, Zhang ZD. Mycotoxins and lung cancer. The 6th World Conference on Lung Cancer, 1991.