About Venkateswar Surabhi
Dr. Venkateswar Surabhi is a Professor of Diagnostic Radiology at the University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center. He obtained his medical degree from Kakatiya Medical College, Warangal, India and completed his Diagnostic Radiology residency from PGIMER, Chandigarh, India. Dr. Surabhi then moved to San Antonio, TX and completed a Body Imaging fellowship at the University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio from 2006- 2007. Dr. Surabhi was appointed as an Assistant Professor at McGovern Medical School at the University of Texas Health Science Center in Houston, TX in 2007. He was subsequently promoted to Associate Professor in 2013 and Professor in 2019.
Additionally, Dr. Surabhi served as Medical Director of Radiology at TIRR Memorial Hermann from 2011-2015 and co-Section Chief of Abdominal Imaging from 2016-2020. Dr. Surabhi’s professional focus is on imaging of abdominal and pelvic malignancies with special emphasis on prostate carcinoma, rectal carcinoma, gynecologic malignancies, hepatobiliary malignancies and pancreatic NET
Professor, Department of Abdominal Imaging, Division of Diagnostic Imaging, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
Professor, McGovern Medical School at UTHealth, Houston, TX
|2000||Kakatiya Medical College, Waranagal, IND, MBBS, Medicine and Surgery|
|2006-2007||Clinical Fellowship, Abdominal Imaging, University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio, San Antonio, TX|
|2001-2005||Clinical Residency, Radiology, Postgraduate Institute of Medical Education and Research, Chandigarh|
Associate Professor, McGovern Medical School at UTHealth, Houston, TX, 2013 - 2019
Assistant Professor, McGovern Medical School at UTHealth, Houston, TX, 2007 - 2013
Co-Section Chief, Department of Diagnostic and Interventional Imaging, McGovern Medical School at UTHealth, Houston, TX, 2016 - 2021
Medical Director, TIRR Memorial Herman, Houston, TX, 2011 - 2015
Radiology Resident Clinical Competency Committee, McGovern Medical School at UTHealth, Houston, TX, 2017 - 2021
Radiology Research Committee, McGovern Medical School at UTHealth, Houston, TX, 2014 - 2017
Radiology Resident Research Committee, Hermann Memorial Hospital- TMC, Houston, TX, 2014 - 2017
Faculty Senate, McGovern Medical School at UTHealth, Houston, TX, 2012 - 2015
Cancer Committee, Harris Health, Houston, TX, 2012 - 2021
Reviewer, The Cancer Genomes, U.S. National Institutes of Health Renal Phenotype Research Group, Bethesda, MD, 2012 - Present
Staff Radiologist, TIRR Memorial Herman, Houston, TX, 2011 - 2015
Staff Radiologist, Harris Health System/Lyndon B. Johnson General Hospital, Houston, TX, 2007 - 2021
Staff Radiologist, Memorial Herman Hospital - Texas Medical Center, Houston, TX, 2007 - 2021
|2019||Dean's Excellence in Teaching|
|2017||Certificate of Merit, Radiological Society of North America|
|2017||Dean's Excellence in Teaching|
|2013||Certificate of Merit, Radiological Society of North America|
|2013||Dean's Excellence in Teaching|
|2012||Best Poster, Abdominal Radiology Course|
|2012||Dean's Excellence in Teaching|
|2011||Certificate of Merit, American Roentgen Society|
|2010||Certificate of Merit, Radiological Society of North America|
|2008||Best Poster, Abdominal Radiology Course|
|2008||Bronze Medal, American Roentgen Society|
|2007||Best Poster, Abdominal Radiology Course|
|2006||Travel Award for Young Investigators in Molecular Imaging, Radiological Society of North America|
|2006||Certificate of Merit, Radiological Society of North America|
|2000||Dr. Chakrapani Memorial Gold Medal for Best Outgoing Student, Kakatiya Medical College|
- Nguyen T, Bhosale PR, Cassia L, Surabhi VR, Javadi S, Milbourne A, Faria SC. Malignancy in pregnancy: Multimodality imaging and treatment. Cancer. e-Pub 2023. PMID: 36907983.
- Shanbhogue K, Khandelwal A, Hajdu C, Cao W, Surabhi VR, Prasad SR. Anastomosing hemangioma: a current update on clinical, pathological and imaging features. Abdom Radiol 47(7):2335-2346, 2022. e-Pub 2022. PMID: 35678844.
- Katabathina VS, Khanna L, Surabhi VR, Minervini M, Shanbhogue K, Dasyam AK, Prasad SR. Morphomolecular classification update on hepatocellular adenoma, hepatocellular carcinoma, and intrahepatic cholangiocarcinoma. Radiographics:210106. e-Pub 2022. PMID: 35776676.
- Marcal LP, Surabhi VR, Ramani NS, Katabathina VS, Paspulati RM, Prasad SR. Mesenchymal neoplasms of the prostate and seminal vesicles: spectrum of disease with radiologic-pathologic correlation. Radiographics 42(2):417-432, 2022. e-Pub 2022. PMID: 35030067.
- Kim C, Cigarroa N, Surabhi VR, Ganeshan B, Pillai AK. Retrospective computed tomography/magnetic resonance imaging texture analysis of rapidly progressive hepatocellular carcinoma. J Pers Med 10(3):136, 2021. PMID: 32967100.
- Alenazi AO, Elsayes KM, Marks RM, Yacoub JH, Hecht EM, Chernyak V, Krishna S, Surabhi VR, Lee JT, Ash R, Cruite I, Kielar AZ. Clinicians and surgeon survey regarding current and future versions of CT/MRI LI-RADS. Abdom Radiol 45(8):2603-2611, 2020. PMID: 32342150.
- Dhingra S, Thupili C, Chau S, Shiralkar K, Prasad SR, Surabhi VR. Update: radiologic-pathologic correlation of hepatocellular adenoma. APP Radiol 48(6):21-29, 2019.
- Shanbhogue AK, Shanbhogue Dk, Prasad SR, Surabhi VR, Fasih N, Menias CO. Clinical syndromes associated with ovarian neoplasms: a comprehensive review. Radiographics 30(4):903-919, 2019. PMID: 20631359.
- Morani AC, Bathala TK, Surabhi VR, Yedururi S, Jensen CT, Huh WW, Prasad S, Hayes-Jordan A. Desmoplastic small round cell tumor: imaging pattern of disease at presentation. AJR Am. J. Roentgenol 212(3):W45-W54, 2019. PMID: 30673334.
- Elsayes KM, Kielar AZ, Elmohr MM, Chernyak V, Masch WR, Furlan A, Marks RM, Cruite I, Fowler KJ, Tang A, Bashir MR, Hecht EM, Kamaya A, Jambhekar K, Kamath A, Arora S, Bijan B, Ash R, Kassam Z, Chaudhry H, McGahan JP, Yacoub JH, McInnes M, Fung AW, Shanbhogue K, Lee J, Deshmukh S, Horvat N, Mitchell DG, Do RKG, Surabhi VR, Szklaruk J, Sirlin CB. White paper of the Society of Abdominal Radiology hepatocellular carcinoma diagnosis disease-focused panel on LI-RADS v2018 for CT and MRI. Abdom Radiol 43(10):2625-2642, 2018. PMID: 30155697.
- Holihan JL, Cherla D, Blair KJ, Chua SS, Hasapes JP, Matta EJ, Shiralkar KG, Surabhi VR, Tammisetti VS, Ko TC, Liang MK. Computed tomography in ventral hernia diagnosis: have we improved? A quality improvement initiative. J. Surg. Res 224:97-101, 2018. PMID: 29506858.
- Chhoda A, Jain D, Surabhi VR, Singhal S. Contrast enhanced harmonic endoscopic ultrasound: a novel approach for diagnosis and management of gastrointestinal stromal tumors. Clin. Endosc 51(3):215-221, 2018. PMID: 29874903.
- Itani M, Kielar A, Menias CO, Dighe MK, Surabhi VR, Prasad SR, O'Malley R, Gangadhar K, Lalwani N. Magnetic resonance imaging of female urethra and periurethral pathologies. Int. Urogynecol. J 27(2):195-204, 2016. PMID: 24210437.
- Katabathina VS, Menias CO, Tammisetti VS, Lubner MG, Kielar A, Shaaban A, Mansour J, Surabhi VR, Hara AK. Malignancy after solid organ transplantation: comprehensive imaging review. Radiographics 36(5):1390-1407, 2016. PMID: 27618321.
- Surabhi VR,, Menias CO, Amer AM. Tumors and tumorlike conditions of the anal canal and perianal region: MR imaging findings. Radiographics 36(5):1339-1353, 2016.
- Surabhi VR, Chua S, Patel RP, Takahashi N, Lalwani N, Prasad SR. Inflammatory myofibroblastic tumors: current update. Radiographics 54(3):553-563, 2016. PMID: 27153788.
- Surabhi VR, Menias CO, George V, Matta E, Kaza RK, Hasapes J. MDCT and MR urogram spectrum of congenital anomalies of the kidney and urinary tract diagnosed in adulthood. AJR Am. J. Roentgenol 205(3):W294-304, 2015. PMID: 26295665.
- Shinagare AB, Vikram R, Jaffe C, Akin O, Kirby J, Huang E, Freymann J, Sainana NI, Sadow CA, Bathala TK, Rubin DL, Oto A, Heller MT, Surabhi VR, Katabathina V, Silverman SG. Radiogenomics of clear cell renal cell carcinoma: preliminary findings of The Cancer Genome Atlas-Renal Cell Carcinoma Imaging Research Group. Abdom. Imaging 40(6):1684-1692, 2015. PMID: 25753955.
- Hoffman MS, Leslie LA, Jacobs RW, Millas S, Surabhi VR, Mok H, Jhaveri P, Kott M, Jackson L, Rieber A, Bhadkamkar NA. Reducing the time from diagnosis to treatment of patients with stage II/III rectal cancer at a large public hospital. J. Oncol 12(2):e257-262, 2015. PMID: 26869658.
- Surabhi VR, Garg N, Frumovitz M, Bhosale P, Prasad SR, Meis JM. Aggressive angiomyxomas: a comprehensive imaging review with clinical and histopathologic correlation. AJR Am. J. Roentgenol 202(6):1171-1178, 2014. PMID: 24848813.
- George V, Tammisetti VS, Surabhi VR, Shanbhogue AK. Chronic fibrosing conditions in abdominal imaging. Radiographics 33(4):1053-1080, 2013. PMID: 23842972.
- Surabhi VR, Menias CO, George V, Siegel CL, Prasad SR. Magnetic resonance imaging of female urethral and periurethral disorders. Radiol. Clin. North Am 51(6):941-953, 2013. PMID: 24210437.
- Wong A, Dhingra S, Surabhi VR. AIRP best cases in radiologic-pathologic correlation: genitourinary tuberculosis. Radiographics 32(4):839-844, 2012. PMID: 22582362.
- Katabathina VS, Katre R, Prasad SR, Surabhi VR, Shanbhogue AK, Sunnapwar A. Wunderlich syndrome: cross-sectional imaging review. J. Comput. Assist. Tomogr 35(4):125-133, 2011. PMID: 21765296.
- Ojili V, Tirumani SH, Gunabushanam G, Nagar A, Surabhi VR, Chintapalli KN, Ryan J. Abdominal hemangiomas: a pictorial review of unusual, atypical, and rare types. Can. Assoc. Radiol. J 64(1):18-27, 2011. PMID: 22397826.
- Fasih N, Shanbhogue AK, Thipphavong S, Surabhi VR, Papdatos D, Marginean C. Gamut of focal fatty lesions in the liver: imaging manifestations with emphasis on magnetic resonance imaging. Curr. Probl. Diagn. Radiol 39(4):137-151, 2010. PMID: 20510752.
- Katre R, Morani AK, Prasad SR, Surabhi VR, Choudhary S, Sunnapwar A. Tumors and pseudotumors of the secondary Müllerian system: review with emphasis on cross-sectional imaging findings. AJR Am. J. Roentgenol 195(6):1452-1459, 2010. PMID: 21098209.
- Shanbhogue AK, Fasih N, Surabhi VR, Doherty CP, Shanbhogue DK, Sethi SK. A clinical and radiologic review of uncommon types and causes of pancreatitis. Radiographics 29(4):1003-1026, 2009. PMID: 19605653.
- Choudhary S, Fasih N, Papdatos D, Surabhi VR. Unusual imaging appearances of endometriosis. AJR Am. J. Roentgenol 192(6):1632-1644, 2009. PMID: 19457828.
- Surabhi VR, Menias C, Prasad SR, Nagar A, Dalrymple NC. Neoplastic and non-neoplastic proliferative disorders of the perirenal space: cross-sectional imaging findings. Radiographics 28(4):1005-1017, 2008. PMID: 18635626.
- Prasad SR, Dalrymple NC, Surabhi VR. Cross-sectional imaging evaluation of renal masses. Radiol Clin North Am 46(1):95-111, 2008. PMID: 18328882.
- Menias CO, Surabhi VR, Prasad SR, Wang HL, Narra VR, Chintapalli KN. Mimics of cholangiocarcinoma: spectrum of disease. Radiographics 28(4):1115-1129, 2008. PMID: 18635632.
- Prasad SR, Surabhi VR, Menias CO, Raut AA, Chintapalli KN. Benign renal neoplasms in adults: cross-sectional imaging findings. AJR Am. J. Roentgenol 190(1):158-164, 2008. PMID: 18094306.
Manuals, Teaching Aids, Other Teaching Publications
- Chau S, Johnson R, Surabhi VR, Chandra C. ACR Case Report, 2020.
- Chau S, Jupalli S, Surabhi VR, Vergehese G. ACR Case Reports - A 60-year-old woman presents with abnormal liver function tests, 2017.
- Surabhi VR. LIRADS web application: a free online tool for easy LIRADs categorization, 2013.
- Wong A, Surabhi VR. ACR Case Reports - 39-year-old male presents with a history of insulin dependent, 2010.
- Picel A, Surabhi VR. ACR Case Reports - 26-year-old female presents with a one month history of nausea, vomiting, constipation, and epigastric pain worsened with PO intake, 2010.
- Prasad SR, Surabhi VR. Imaging of the urethra. In: Abdominal Imaging. Elsevier: Philadelphia, 1379-1381, 2010.
- Prasad SR, Surabhi VR. Imaging of disorders of the female urethra. In: Abdominal Imaging. Elsevier: Philadelphia, 1382-1387, 2010.
- Vibhute PG, Surabhi VR, Gomez A, Restrepo S, McCarthy M, Bazan C, Prasanna KC. Radiology of fungal infections. In: Clinical Mycology. Elsevier: Philadelphia, 109-159, 2009.