About Dr. Cox
Dr. Cox is an Associate Professor in the Department of Abdominal Imaging, starting her career at the University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center in 9/2014. Dr. Cox completed her radiology residency and body fellowship training at Stanford University Medical Center in Palo Alto, California. She holds a medical degree from the University of California at San Diego (2008) and undergraduate degree from the University of California at Berkeley (2004).
Dr. Cox is a part of MD Anderson's multidisciplinary liver tumor group and served as Patient Safety and Quality Officer for Abdominal Imaging from 10/2019-9/2022. She has fortified quality improvement efforts within the abdominal imaging department through creation of a quarterly Morbidity and Mortality conference. Her clinical and research interests include liver and bowel imaging and radiogenomics.
Dr. Cox was recipient of the inaugural interdepartmental Outstanding Junior Faculty Award in November 2018. She was also recognized by graduating fellows in 2017 with a Teaching Award.
Present Title & Affiliation
Associate Professor, Department of Abdominal Imaging, Division of Diagnostic Imaging, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
MR biomarkers of liver tumors
Cancer genomics and targeted therapies
Performance and quality improvement
Education & Training
|2008||University of California at San Diego School of Medicine, San Diego, CA, USA, MD, Doctor of Medicine|
|2004||University of California at Berkeley, Berkeley, CA, USA, BA, Molecular and Cell Biology|
|2013-2014||Clinical Fellowship, Diagnostic Radiology, Abdominal Imaging, Stanford University Medical Center, Stanford, CA|
|2009-2013||Clinical Residency, Diagnostic Radiology, Stanford University Medical Center, Stanford, CA|
|2008-2009||Clinical Internship, Internal Medicine, University of California at Irvine, Irvine, CA|
|2013||American Board of Radiology|
Experience & Service
Assistant Professor, Department of Diagnostic Radiology, Division of Diagnostic Imaging, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2014 - 2019
Patient Quality and Safety Officer, Department of Abdominal Imaging, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2019 - 2022
Institutional Committee Activities
Member, Faculty Senate, 2018 - 2020
Member, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Diagnostic Imaging Faculty Functional Committee, 2016 - 2019
Honors & Awards
|2022||Certificate of Merit, European Society of Gastrointestinal Abdominal Radiology|
|2018||Outstanding Junior Faculty Award, Department of Diagnostic Radiology, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center|
|2016||Teaching Award, Abdominal Imaging Section, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center|
- Panettieri E, Maki H, Kim B, Kang HC, Cox VL, Vega E, Mizuno T, Pant S, Javle M, Vauthey J, Kawaguchi Y. Arterial enhancement pattern predicts survival in patients with resectable and unresectable intrahepatic cholangiocarcinoma. Surgical Oncology, 2021. PMID: 34995974.
- Faria, SC, Sagebiel T, Patnana M, Cox VL, Viswanathan C, Lall, C, Qayyum A, Bhosale PR. Tumor markers: myths and facts unfolded. Abdom Radiol 44(4):1575-1600, 2019. e-Pub 2018. PMID: 30498924.
- Yedururi S, Kang HC, Cox VL, Chawla S, Marcal L, Le O, Loyer EM. Tumor thrombus in venous drainage pathways of primary, recurrent and metastatic disease on routine oncologic imaging studies: beyond hepatocellular carcinoma and renal cell carcinoma. BJR 92(1098). e-Pub 2019. PMID: 30844299.
- Marcal L, Patnana M, Yedururi S, Chuang H, Devine C, Cox VL, Dasari A, Loyer E. Abdominal manifestations of neuroendocrine tumors. Digestive Disease Interventions 3(1):014-029, 2019.
- Cox VL, Tahvildari AM, Johnson B, Jeffrey RB. Bowel obstruction complicated by ischemia: analysis of computed tomography findings. Abdom Radiol 43(12):3227-3232, 2018. e-Pub 2018. PMID: 29858936.
- Bhosale P, Cox VL, Faria S, Javadi S, Viswanathan C, Koay E, Tamm E. Genetics of pancreatic cancer and implications for therapy. Abdom Radiol 43(2):404-414, 2018. e-Pub 2017. PMID: 29177925.
- Odisio BC, Cox VL, Faria SC, Yamashita S, Shi X, Ensor J, Jones AK, Mahvash A, Gupta S, Tam AL, Vauthey JN, Murthy R. Prognostic value of incidental hypervascular micronodules detected on cone-beam computed tomography angiography of patients with liver metastasis. Eur Radiol 27(11):4837-4845. e-Pub 2017. PMID: 28484824.
- Pollom EL, Alagappan M, von Eyben R, Kunz PL, Fisher GA, Ford JA, Poultsides GA, Visser BC, Norton JA, Kamaya A, Cox VL, Columbo LA, Koong AC, Chang DT. Single-versus multifraction stereotactic body radiation therapy for pancreatic adenocarcinoma: outcomes and toxicity. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 90(4):918-25, 2014. e-Pub 2014. PMID: 25585785.
- Cox VL, Patel M, Kim J, Liu T, Sivaraman G, Narayan SM. Predicting arrhythmia-free survival using spectral and modified-moving average analyses of T-wave alternans. Pacing and Clinical Electrophysiology 30(3):352-8, 2007. PMID: 17367354.
- Cox VL, Bamashmos A, Foo W, Gupta S, Yedururi S, Garg N, Kang H. Lynch Syndrome: genomics update and imaging review. Radiographics 38(2):483-499, 2018. PMID: 29528821.
- Cox VL, Bhosale P, Varadhachary G, Wagner-Bartak N, Glitza I, Gold KA, Soliman P, Atkins JT, Hong DS, Qayyum A.. Cancer genomics and important oncologic mutations: a contemporary guide for body imagers. Radiology 283(2), 2017. PMID: 28418819.
- Bamashmos A, Muthalgiri CM, Cox VL, Gupta S, Yedururi S, Garg N, Kang HC. Beyond colorectal carcinoma: imaging spectrum of Lynch syndrome. Radiological Society of North America Proceedings, 2016. e-Pub 2016.
- Yedururi S, Chawla S, Kang HC, Cox VL, Lee, JE, Waguespack S. Multi-modality imaging of multiple endocrine neoplasia syndromes: emerging concepts in the diagnosis and treatment. What radiologists need to know?. Radiological Society of North America Proceedings, 2016. e-Pub 2016.
- Osidio B, Cox VL, Mahvash A, Jones A, Gupta S, Faria S, Tam AL, Ravi M. Incidental hepatic micronodules on cone-beam computed tomography angiography: high risk for local tumor progression. World Conference on Interventional Oncology Proceedings, 2016.
- Khan A, Fuentes D, Hazle J, Qayyum A, Cox VL, Elsayes K. Three dimensional volumetric image segmentation of the liver: tips for clinical practice and future perspectives. Radiological Society of North America Proceedings, 2015.
- Cox V, Patel M, Kim J, Liu T, Sivaraman G, Narayan SM. Alternans of human ventricular monophasic action potentials co-migrates with T-wave alternans. Heart Rhythm 3(5):S113-S114, 2006.
- Cox V, Patel M, Kim J, Liu T, Sivaraman G, Narayan SM. Ambulatory ECG methods amplify T-wave alternans compared to traditional spectral analysis. Heart Rhythm 3(5):S269, 2006.
Letters to the Editor
- Cox VL, Lesesky E, Garcia B, O'Grady D, Terence C.. Treatment of juvenile pityriasis rubra pilaris with etanercept. Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology 59: S113-S114, 2008.