Victor Hassid, M.D.
About Dr. Hassid
Double board-certified in Plastic and General Surgery, Dr. Victor Hassid is the Executive Medical Director of Access and Business Services and an Associate Professor of Plastic Surgery at the University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center. As EMD of Access and Business Services, along with his administrative dyad partner, Dr. Hassid leads a team of approximately 550 employees in our efforts to ensure equitable access for new and established patients across complex Ambulatory Operations. Through partnership with several stakeholders across the enterprise, and driven by his passion for excellent patient experience, patient safety and top quality patient care, he leads initiatives to expand enterprise-wide scheduling, develop strategies for managing capacity and demand, align medical access algorithms with institutional strategy and optimize scheduling workflows to improve patient, provider and staff satisfaction. He has been awarded the Certified Physician Executive (CPE) credential by the Certifying Commission in Medical Management and is continuing his adult learning journey as an MBA student with Healthcare specialization at the University of Massachusetts.
Dr. Hassid is consistently being included amongst the top 1% providers nationally, and is being recognized as a top performer at MD Anderson, for the patient experience he and his team provide. Dr. Hassid earned his medical degree at the University of Athens in Greece and after serving in the Greek Air Force as Medical Officer, he moved to the U.S. for surgical training. He completed his residency in General Surgery at the University of Florida, in Jacksonville and in Plastic Surgery at the University of Illinois in Chicago. In 2012, he came to the University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center in Houston, Texas where he completed a fellowship in Microvascular Reconstructive Surgery, and subsequently joined the faculty.
Dr. Hassid has a special interest in breast and head and neck reconstruction, following Mohs surgery, and aims to provide functional and aesthetically pleasing restoration of body and face, based on detailed physical examination and attention to patient priorities and wishes.
Additional Languages Spoken: French, Spanish and Greek.
In the News
Associate Professor, Department of Plastic Surgery, Division of Surgery, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
Executive Medical Director, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
|2000||National and Kapodistrian University of Athens Medical School, Athens, GRC, MD, Doctor of Medicine|
|2023-2024||CoachRICE, Leadership Institute The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, The Doerr Institute for New leaders, Rice University, Houston, TX|
|2023-2023||Executive Leadership in Healthcare, Jones Graduate School of Business, Rice University, Houston, TX|
|2021-2024||Masters, Business Administration, University of Massachusetts Amherst, Houston, TX|
|2020-2020||LEADing Teams Accelerate, Leadership Institute, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX|
|2018-2019||LEADing Teams Core, Leadership Institute, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX|
|2018-2021||Certified Physician Executive, American Association for Physician Leadership, Washington, DC|
|2012-2013||Clinical Fellowship, Reconstructive Microvascular Surgery Fellowship, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX|
|2009-2012||Clinical Residency, Plastic Surgery, University of Illinois at Chicago, Chicago, IL|
|2004-2009||Clinical Residency, General Surgery, University of Florida, Jacksonville, FL|
|2014||American Board of Plastic Surgery|
|2009||American Board of Surgery|
Assistant Professor, Department of Plastic Surgery, Division of Surgery, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2013 - 2019
Clinical Specialist, Department of Plastic Surgery, Division of Surgery, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2012 - 2013
Medical Director, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center-Houston Area Location-Sugarland, Sugarland, TX, 2017 - 2020
Chief Plastic Surgery Resident, University of Illinois at Chicago, Chicago, IL, 2011 - 2012
Chief Surgical Resident, University of Florida College of Medicine, Jacksonville, FL, 2008 - 2009
Institutional Committee Activities
Chair, Physicians Relations CME Educational Program, 2021 - Present
Co-Chair, UT MD Anderson Physician Advisory Council, 2021 - Present
Member, Learning Labs - Service Lines, 2020 - Present
Participant, Covid-19 Core Leadership Team, 2020 - Present
Co-Lead, Local Texas Institutional Strategic Workstream, 2020 - Present
Member, Operational Priority Safety365, 2019 - 2020
Member, Ambulatory Leaders Forum, 2019 - Present
Member At-Large, Executive Committee of Medical Staff, 2017 - 2020
Member, Operational Priority Retention, Recruitment and Development, 2017 - 2019
Member, CREWS Task Force, 2017 - 2019
Member, Regional Practice Committee, 2017 - 2020
Member, Focus on Junior Faculty Steering Committee, 2016 - 2019
Member, Baptist MD Anderson Relationship Committee, 2015 - 2018
Member, Division of Surgery Cancer Network Operations Committee, 2014 - Present
|2021||Commitment to Mentoring, Leadership Institute UT MD Anderson Cancer Center|
|2020||Multi-year appointment award, UT MD Anderson Cancer Center|
|2020||1% Top Performer Nationally (Perfect Score), The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center|
|2020||Commitment to Mentoring, Leadership Institute UT MD Anderson Cancer Center|
|2019||Best Poster Award, “High Reliability Organization in Healthcare for the Surgical Advanced Practitioner”, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center|
|2019||1% Top Performer Nationally (Perfect Score), The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center|
|2018||Gold Award in Recognition of Outstanding Performance in the Joint Commission Reliability Readiness Program, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center - Sugar Land|
|2018||LEAN Training, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center|
|2018||1% Top Performer Nationally, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center|
|2017||1% Top Performer Nationally, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center|
|2016||Heart of Leadership Program, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center|
|2012||Certificate of Excellence - 3rd place, Illinois Society of Plastic Surgeons-Senior Resident Paper Competition - 2012|
|2012||Certificate of Excellence - 3rd Best Scoring Resident, Illinois Society of Plastic Surgeons-Plastic Surgery Bowl|
|2009||Louis S. Russo Award for Outstanding Professionalism in Medicine, University of Florida College of Medicine|
|2009||Support of Organ Donor Program Award, Donate Life, Organ Donor Service|
|2009||Excellence in Patient Care Award, Night for Heroes, Jacksonville FL|
|2008||Trauma/Critical Care Award, University of Florida College of Medicine|
|2008||Exemplary Teaching Resident Award, University of Florida College of Medicine|
|2007||Best Resident Award, University of Florida College of Medicine|
|2007||Best Teaching Resident Award, University of Florida College of Medicine|
|2007||Honorable Mention/ Certificate of Merit, Society of Laparo Endoscopic Surgeons|
|2006||Platform Presentation Award, University of Florida College of Medicine, Resident Research Day|
|1994||Pan-Hellenic University Entrance Examinations, National and Kapodistrian University of Athens|
|1994||Full Scholarship for London International Youth Science Forum, Moraitis Lyceum Alumni Association|
|1991||Highest Academic Distinction Award, Greek Ministry of Education|
- Jalalabadi F, Ferry AM, Chang A, Reece EM, Izaddoost SA, Hassid VJ, Tahiri Y, Buchanan EP, Winocour SJ. Plastic Surgeons as Medical Directors: A Natural Transition into Medical Leadership. Arch Plast Surg 49(2):221-226, 2022. e-Pub 2022. PMID: 35832672.
- Asaad M, Selber JC, Adelman DM, Baumann DP, Hassid VJ, Crosby MA, Liu J, Butler CE, Clemens MW. Allograft Versus Xenograft Bioprosthetic Mesh in Tissue Expander Breast Reconstruction: A Blinded Prospective Randomized Controlled Trial. Aesthet Surg J 41(12):NP1931-NP1939, 2021. e-Pub 2021. PMID: 33693461.
- Schaverien MV, Deigni OA, Adamson KA, Robb GL, Kuerer H, Smith BD, Garvey PB, Hassid VJ, Villa MT, Baumann DP. Complications of Wise-Pattern Compared With Vertical Scar Mastopexy/Breast Reduction in Oncoplastic Breast-Conserving Surgery. Ann Plast Surg 85(6):601-607, 2020. PMID: 32332388.
- Hanson SE, Hassid VJ, Branch-Brooks C, Liu J, Kadin ME, Miranda R, Butler CE, Clemens MW. Validation of a CD30 Enzyme-Linked Immunosorbant Assay for the Rapid Detection of Breast Implant-Associated Anaplastic Large Cell Lymphoma. Aesthet Surg J 40(2):149-153, 2020. PMID: 30789639.
- Ning MS, Dean MK, Taylor KA, Arzu I, Fleming ND, Mutyala N, Suresh P, Lewis MA, Tu J, Hassid VJ, Joe T, Byler C, Bloom ES, Shah S. Evaluation and Improvement of Bottlenecking in a Multidisciplinary Oncology Clinic: An Electronic Medical Record Intervention. Cureus 11(5):e4583, 2019. e-Pub 2019. PMID: 31309008.
- Hassid VJ. Nasal Tip Reconstruction following Skin Cancer Resection: A Novel Approach Combining Reconstructive and Tip Rhinoplasty Principles. Plast Reconstr Surg 142(6):990e-991e, 2018. PMID: 30247379.
- Hanson SE, Meaike JD, Selber JC, Liu J, Li L, Hassid VJ, Baumann DP, Butler CE, Garvey PB. Aseptic Freeze Dried vs. Sterile Wet-Packaged Human Cadaveric Acellular Dermal Matrix (ADM) in Immediate Tissue Expander Breast Reconstruction: A Propensity Score Analysis Study. Plast Reconstr Surg 141(5):624e-632e, 2018. e-Pub 2018. PMID: 29659450.
- Hassid VJ, Papadopoulos JN. Penile squamous cell carcinoma masquerading as giant condyloma. Plast Reconstr Surg Glob Open 5(3):e1269, 2017. e-Pub 2017. PMID: 28458981.
- Hassid VJ, Sepesi B. Chronic Osteomyelitis of the Manubrio-Clavicular Joint following Breast Augmentation. Plast Reconstr Surg 137(2):493e-4e, 2016. PMID: 26731586.
- Liliav B, Loeb J, Hassid VJ, Antony AK. Single-Stage Nipple-Areolar Complex Reconstruction Technique, Outcomes, and Patient Satisfaction. Ann Plast Surg 73(5):492-7, 2014. e-Pub 2013. PMID: 24135688.
- Rodby KA, Turin S, Jacobs RJ, Cruz JF, Hassid VJ, Kolokythas A, Antony AK. Advances in oncologic head and neck reconstruction: Systematic review and future considerations of virtual surgical planning and computer aided design/computer aided modeling. J Plast Reconstr Aesthet Surg 67(9):1171-85, 2014. e-Pub 2014. PMID: 24880575.
- Liliav B, Zaluzec R, Hassid VJ, Ramasastry S, Kalimuthu R. Lip replantation: a viable option for lower lip reconstruction after human bites, a literature review and proposed management algorithm. J Plast Reconstr Aesthet Surg 65(7):e197-9, 2012. e-Pub 2012. PMID: 22269857.
- Wood M, Lazo C, Hassid V, Awad ZT. Replaced common hepatic artery from superior mesenteric artery during pancreaticoduodenectomy. Gulf J Oncolog(11):60-2, 2012. PMID: 22227547.
- Hassid VJ, Maqusi S, Culligan E, Cohen MN, Antony AK. Free microsurgical and pedicled flaps for oncological mandibular reconstruction: technical aspects and evaluation of patient comorbidities. ISRN Surg 2012:792674, 2012. e-Pub 2012. PMID: 22550602.
- Hassid VJ. Has the time come for plastic surgeons to move from povidone-iodine to chlorhexidine?. Plast Reconstr Surg 126(6):327e-328e, 2010. PMID: 21124119.
- Hassid VJ, Orlando FA, Awad ZT, Tan D, Khoury T, Ahmed BH, Alrawi SJ. Genetic and molecular abnormalities in cholangiocarcinogenesis. Anticancer Res 29(4):1151-6, 2009. PMID: 19414358.
- Hassid VJ, Schinco MA, Tepas JJ, Griffen MM, Murphy TL, Frykberg ER, Kerwin AJ. Definitive establishment of airway control is critical for optimal outcome in lower cervical spinal cord injury. J Trauma 65(6):1328-32, 2008. PMID: 19077622.
- Orlando FA, Tan D, Baltodano JD, Khoury T, Gibbs JF, Hassid VJ, Ahmed BH, Alrawi SJ. Aberrant crypt foci as precursors in colorectal cancer progression. J Surg Oncol 98(3):207-13, 2008. PMID: 18623110.
- Hassid VJ, Kerwin AJ, Schinco MA, Tepas JJ, Frykberg ER. Congenital anomalies presenting as acute orthopedic trauma. J Trauma 64(4):1145, 2008. PMID: 18404089.
- Moutzouris DA, Hassid VJ. Seasonal variation of atrial fibrillation: further supportive evidence. Epidemiology 14(1):127, 2003. PMID: 12500064.
- Hassid VJ. The importance of choosing a board-certified plastic surgeon. ASPS Plastic Surgery BLOG, 2017.
- Hassid VJ. Five common breast reconstruction myths. Cancerwise BLOG, 2014.
- Hassid VJ. Commentary on: The Use of Reduction Mammaplasty with Breast Conservation Therapy: An Analysis of Timing and Outcomes [Plast Reconstr Surg. 2015;136(6):963e-971e]. Breast Diseases: A Year Book Quarterly 27(1), 2016.
- Hassid VJ, Hanson SE. Commentary on: Breast reconstruction and adjuvant therapy: a systematic review of surgical outcomes [J Surg Oncol. 2015;112:458-464]. Breast Diseases: A Year Book Quarterly 27(2), 2016.
- Mericli AF, Hassid VJ. Commentary on: Breast implants and the risk of breast cancer: a meta-analysis of cohort studies. [Aesthet Surg J. 2015;35:55-62]. Breast Diseases: A Year Book Quarterly 27(2), 2016.
- Hanson SE, Hassid VJ. Commentary on: Microvascular autologous breast reconstruction in the context of radiation therapy: Comparison of two reconstructive algorithms. [Plast Recon Surg. 2013;132:251-257]. Breast Diseases: A Year Book Quarterly 27(2), 2016.
- Hassid VJ, Kronowitz SJ. Commentary on: Propensity-matched, longitudinal outcomes analysis of complications and cost: comparing abdominal free flaps and implant-based breast reconstruction [J Am Coll Surg. 2014;209:303-312]. Breast Diseases: A Year Book Quarterly 26(1):70-71, 2015.
- Hassid VJ, Kronowitz SJ. Commentary: A meta-analysis comparing breast conservation therapy alone to the oncoplastic technique [Ann Plast Surg. 2014; 72: 145-149]. Breast Diseases: A Year Book Quarterly 25(2), 2014.
- Hassid VJ, Kronowitz SJ. Commentary: Do breast implants adversely affect prognosis among those subsequently diagnosed with breast cancer? Findings from an extended follow-up of a Canadian cohort [Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2012; 21:1868-1876]. Breast Diseases: A Year Book Quaterly 24(2), 2012.
- Hassid VJ, Kronowitz SJ. Commentary: Immediate 1-stage vs. tissue expander postmastectomy breast reconstructions: a retrospective real-world comparison over 18 months [J Plas Reconstr Aesthet Surg. 2012; 65: 917-923]. Breast Diseases: A Year Book Quarterly 24(1), 2012.
- Walters C, Byler C, Hyatt M, Jreissaty C, Joe T, Thomas A, Mejicanos J, Smith RF, Hassid V. SAFE initiative: A step closer to a positive safety culture and improved patient experience. Journal of Clinical Oncology 36(30):249, 2018.
- Hanson SE, Hassid VJ, Branch-Brooks CD, Medeiros J, Kadin M, Randquist C, Miranda RN, Butler CE, Clemens MW. Validation of a CD30 ELISA for the Rapid Detection of Breast Implant Associated Anaplastic Large Cell Lymphoma. Plast Reconstr Surg Glob 5(9S):64, 2017.
- Hassid VJ, Cole M, Awad Z. Laparoscopic duodenojejunostomy for superior mesentric artery syndrome. JSLS 11(2):s65, 2007.
- Hassid VJ, Alrawi S, Awad Z. Laparoscopic vagotomy and pyloroplasty. JSLS 11(2):s65, 2007.
- Hassid VJ, Schinco M, Tepas J, etal. Definitive establishment of airway control is critical for optimal outcome in lower complete cervical spinal cord injury patients. J Trauma 60(1):254, 2006.
- Hassid VJ. Local Flaps of the Scalp. In: Handbook of Reconstructive Flaps. Thieme Publishers: NY, 2020.
- Hassid VJ, Knonowitz SJ. Delayed-Immediate Breast Reconstruction. In: Oncologic Breast Reconstruction. 1. 1. People's Medical Publishing House: Beijing, 2016.
- Hassid VJ, Kronowitz SJ. Case Presentations. In: Oncoplastic Breast Surgery. 2. Springer, 2015.
- Antony AK, Liliav B, Hassid VJ, Cohen MN. Optimizing Long Term Outcomes in Breast Surgery. In: Aesthetic and Reconstructive Breast Surgery: Solving Complications and Avoiding Unfavorable Results. 1. Informa Healthcare: London, 2012.
- Antony AK, Hassid VJ, Cohen MN. Eyelid, Cheek, Lip, Nasal, Scalp, Ear Reconstruction. In: Plastic Reconstructive and Aesthetic Surgery: The Essentials. 1. World Scientific Publishing Company: Singapore, 2012.
- Hassid VJ, Liliav B, Kaymakcalan O. Metacarpal enchondroma. In: Plastic Surgery Education Network, 2011.
- Liliav B, Hassid VJ, Makhlouf M. Compartment syndrome of the upper extremity. In: Plastic Sugery Education Network, 2011.
- Hassid VJ, Cohen MN. Periorbital dermoid cyst. In: Plastic Surgery Education Network, 2011.
- Hassid VJ, Schinco MA. Trauma in pregnancy. In: Handbook of Obstetric and Gynecologic Emergencies. 4. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins: Philadelphia, 2010.
- Schinco MA, Hassid VJ. Extremity compartment syndrome. In: BMJ Point of Care, 2009.
Letters to the Editor
- Hassid VJ. Soft-tissue filler complications: the important role of biofilms. Plast Reconstr Surg 126: 1801-2; author reply 1802, 2010.
|Title:||Method for assessing women's perceptions of their appearance in the context of breast cancer care|