About Dr. Kumar
Dr. Vinodh A. Kumar completed a two year fellowship in Neuroradiology at New York University Medical Center and then joined MD Anderson Cancer Center in 2008. He was promoted to Associate Professor, Department of Diagnostic Radiology, Division of Diagnostic Imaging, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, in 2014. He is currently the Neuroradiology Director of Intraoperative Imaging and Image Guided Therapy. The emphasis of his clinical and research work is on improving pre-operative and intra-operative imaging for brain tumor surgery. Dr. V. Kumar is also member of the Neuroradiology Executive Committee. He actively participates in Advanced Brain Tumor Imaging and Neurosurgery Tumor Boards at MD Anderson Cancer Center. Dr. V. Kumar is engaged in teaching radiology residents and Neuroradiology fellows and is the Chair of the Neuro-Oncologic Imaging fellowship committee.
Associate Professor, Department of Diagnostic Radiology, Division of Diagnostic Imaging, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
Pre-operative and intra-operative brain tumor imaging Head and neck tumor imaging
Brain tumor imaging Head and neck tumor imaging Head and neck US guided interventional radiology Spinal tumor imaging
|2001||Loyola University Chicago: Stritch School of Medicine, Chicago, IL, USA, MD, Medicine|
|1996||Franklin and Marshall College, Lancaster, PA, USA, BA, Biology and Psychology|
|2006-2008||Clinical Fellowship, Neuroradiology, New York University Medical Center, New York, NY|
|2002-2006||Clinical Residency, Radiology, University of Texas at Houston, Houston, TX|
|2001-2002||Clinical Internship, Internal Medicine, Loyola University Medical Center, Chicago, IL|
|2009||American Board of Radiology with subspecialty in Neuroradiology|
|2006||American Board of Radiology|
|2013||Magna Cum Laude Award, On the Shoulder of Giants: "Elemental Brain Volumes" derived from modifications of prior parcellation strategies help to explain glial tumor spread, The American Society of Neuroradiology|
- Gogia B, Kumar VA, Chavali LS, Ketonen L, Hunter J, Prabhu SS, Schomer D, Hayman LA. MRI venous architecture of the thalamus. J Neurol Sci 370:88-93, 2016. e-Pub 2016. PMID: 27772794.
- Davoudi S, Kumar VA, Jiang Y, Kupferman M, Kontoyiannis DP. Invasive mould sinusitis in patients with haematological malignancies: a 10 year single-centre study. J Antimicrob Chemother 70(10):2899-905, 2015. e-Pub 2015. PMID: 26188039.
- Shah KB, Hayman LA, Chavali LS, Hamilton JD, Prabhu SS, Wangaryattawanich P, Kumar VA, Kumar AJ. Glial tumors in brodmann area 6: spread pattern and relationships to motor areas. Radiographics 35(3):793-803, 2015. PMID: 25969935.
- Shahar T, Rozovski U, Marko NF, Tummala S, Ziu M, Weinberg JS, Rao G, Kumar VA, Sawaya R, Prabhu SS. Preoperative imaging to predict intraoperative changes in tumor-to-corticospinal tract distance: an analysis of 45 cases using high-field intraoperative magnetic resonance imaging. Neurosurgery 75(1):23-30, 2014. PMID: 24618800.
- Vabulas M, Kumar VA, Hamilton JD, Martinez JJ, Rao G, Sawaya R, Prabhu SS. Real-time atlas-based stereotactic neuronavigation. Neurosurgery 74(1):128-34; discussion 134, 2014. e-Pub 2013. PMID: 24089050.
- Kumar VA, Hamilton J, Hayman LA, Kumar AJ, Rao G, Weinberg JS, Sawaya R, Prabhu SS. Deformable anatomic templates (DAT) improve analysis of gliomas with minimal mass effect in eloquent areas. Neurosurgery 73(3):534-42, 2013. e-Pub 2013. PMID: 23728447.
- Kumar VA, Shah KB, Ginsberg LE. Perineural tumor spread to the oculomotor (CN III) nerve. J Comput Assist Tomogr 37(4):525-7, 2013. PMID: 23863527.
- Shivaprasad S, Shroff G, Kumar VA. Vein of labbe thrombosis by CT and MRI. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 83(12):1168-1169, 2012. e-Pub 2012. PMID: 22842712.
- Hayman LA, Kumar VA, Hamilton J, Prabhu SS, Thiebaut de Schotten M, Al-Zubidi N, Pagani J, Vabulas M, Groneman M, Kumar AJ. Deformable anatomic templates embed knowledge into patient's brain images: part 1. Construction and display. J Comput Assist Tomogr 36(3):354-359, 2012. PMID: 22592623.
- Sweeny S, Kumar VA, Tayar J, Weber D, Safdar A, Alonso C, Hymes S. Case 181: synovitis acne pustulosis hyperostosis osteitis (SAPHO) syndrome. Radiology 263(2):613-617, 2012. PMID: 22517965.
- Hamilton JD, Kumar VA, Hayman LA, Prabhu SS, Hou P, Jackson EF, Groneman M, Pagani J, Vabulas M, Kumar AJ. Deformable anatomic templates embed knowledge into brain images: part 2. Validation using functional magnetic resonance imaging of the motor hand. J Comput Assist Tomogr 36(2):280-284, 2012. PMID: 22446375.
- Kumar VA, Hofstede TM, Ginsberg LE. CT imaging features of obturator prostheses in patients following palatectomy or maxillectomy. AJNR Am J Neuroradiol 32(10):1926-1929, 2011. e-Pub 2011. PMID: 21799037.
- Kumar VA, Knopp EA, Zagzag D. Magnetic resonance dynamic susceptibility-weighted contrast-enhanced perfusion imaging in the diagnosis of posterior fossa hemangioblastomas and pilocytic astrocytomas: initial results. J Comput Assist Tomogr 34(6):825-829, 2010. PMID: 21084895.
- Kumar AJ, Leeds NE, Kumar VA, Fuller GN, Lang FF, Milas Z, Weinberg JS, Ater JL, Sawaya R. Magnetic resonance imaging features of pilocytic astrocytoma of the brain mimicking high-grade gliomas. J Comput Assist Tomogr 34(4):601-611, 2010. PMID: 20657231.
- Kumar VA, Lewin JS, Ginsberg LE. CT assessment of vocal cord medialization. AJNR Am J Neuroradiol 27(8):1643-1646, 2006. PMID: 16971603.
- Kumar VA, Esmaeli B, Ahmed S, Gogia B, Debnam JM, Ginsberg LE. Imaging features of malignant lacrimal sac and nasolacrimal duct tumors. AJNR Am J Neuroradiol. e-Pub 2016. PMID: 27418476.
- Munoz J, Kumar VA, Hamilton J, Pasche LJ, Langford LA, Taggart MW, Kamiya-Matsuoka C, Tummala S, Moulder S, Kurzrock R. Posterior reversible encephalopathy syndrome: more than meets the eye. J Clin Oncol. e-Pub 2013. PMID: 23733774.