About Dr. Foo
My primary role is to provide pathology support for collaborative translational and clinical studies involving gastrointestinal, pancreaticobiliary, and hepatic malignancies. I have a broad background in anatomic pathology with specific training in general oncologic pathology as well as additional sub-specialty training and expertise in gastrointestinal, pancreaticobiliary, and hepatic pathology. As a result of my extensive training, I am experienced in interpreting histology and immunohistochemistry, including in situ hybridization assays routinely used in my clinical practice. The current application is in my area of expertise and interest and builds on my prior work in pancreaticobiliary cancers.
Present Title & Affiliation
Associate Professor, Department of Pathology, Division of Pathology/Lab Medicine, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
Education & Training
|2006||University of Alabama School of Medicine, Birmingham, AL, USA, MD, Medicine|
|2002||Birmingham Southern College, Birmingham, AL, USA, BS, Biology|
|2011-2012||Clinical Fellowship, Gastrointestinal and Liver Pathology, The University of Texas, M.D. Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX|
|2010-2011||Clinical Fellowship, Surgical Pathology, The University of Texas, M.D. Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX|
|2009-2010||Clinical Fellowship, Surgical Pathology, Brigham and Women's Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA|
|2006-2009||Clinical Residency, Anatomic Pathology, Brigham and Women's Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA|
|2011||Diplomate, Anatomic Pathology, American Board of Pathology|
Experience & Service
Resident Member, The CAP Foundation, Grants sub-committee, Boston, MA, 2008 - 2009
International Pathology Coordinator, Partners in Health, Boston, MA, 2006 - 2010
- Overman MJ, Eng C, Raghav K, Matamoros A, Taggart M, Foo WC, Fournier K. Challenges of efficacy assessments in pseudomyxoma peritonea. Oncologist 20(3):e3-4, 2015. PMID: 25745054.
- Liu C, Karam R, Zhou Y, Su F, Ji Y, Li G, Xu G, Lu L, Wang C, Song M, Zhu J, Wang Y, Zhao Y, Foo WC, Zuo M, Valasek MA, Javle M, Wilkinson MF, Lu Y. The UPF1 RNA surveillance gene is commonly mutated in pancreatic adenosquamous carcinoma. Nat Med 20(6):596-8, 2014. e-Pub 2014. PMID: 24859531.
- Foo WC, Rashid A, Wang H, Katz MH, Lee JE, Pisters PW, Wolff RA, Abbruzzese JL, Fleming JB, Wang H. Loss of phosphatase and tensin homolog expression is associated with recurrence and poor prognosis in patients with pancreatic ductal adenocarcinoma. Hum Pathol 44(6):1024-30, 2013. e-Pub 2012. PMID: 23260327.
- Colombo C, Foo WC, Whiting D, Young ED, Lusby K, Pollock RE, Lazar AJ, Lev D. FAP-related desmoid tumors: a series of 44 patients evaluated in a cancer referral center. Histol Histopathol 27(5):641-9, 2012. PMID: 22419028.
- Krishna SG, Stroehlein JR, Foo WC, Suzuki R, Reddy SR, Bhutani MS. Iatrogenic infection of a colonic cystic lymphangioma following cold-forceps biopsy. Endoscopy 44(Supplement S2):E104-5, 2012. e-Pub 2012. PMID: 22477167.
- Foo WC, Cruise M, Wick MR, Hornick JL. Immunohistochemical staining for TLE1 distinguishes synovial sarcoma from histologic mimics. Am J Clin Pathol 135(6):839-844, 2011. PMID: 21571956.
- Carlson JW, Lyon E, Walton D, Foo WC. Sievers AC, Shulman LN, Farmer P, Nose V, Milner DA Jr. Partners in pathology: a collaborative model to bring pathology to resource poor settings. Am J Surg Pathol 34(1):118-123, 2010. PMID: 19898229.
- Foo WC, Liegl-Atzwanger B, Lazar AJ. Pathology of gastrointestinal stromal tumors. Clin Med Insights Pathol 5, 2012. e-Pub 2012. PMID: 22855636.
- Foo WC, Rashid A, Wang H, Hamilton S, Katz MH, Lee JE, Gomez HF, Abbruzzese JL, Fleming JB, Wang H. Loss of PTEN expression in pancreatic ductal adenocarcinoma is associated with poor survival. Lab Invest 92:442A-443A, 2012.
- Foo WC, Colombo C, Whitting D, Hajibashi S, Wang WL, Lev D, Lazar A. FAP-assodated desmoid fibromatosis: a comparison to their sporadic counterparts. Lab Invest 91:13A-14A, 2011.
- Foo WC, Wick MR, Hornick JL. Immunohistochemical staining for TLE1 distinguishes synovial sarcoma from histologic mimics. Lab Invest 90:20A, 2010.
- Liang, CW, Rossi S, Dei Toss AP, Hornick JL, Foo WC, Fletcher JA. MicroGIST genomic aberrations highlight early mechanisms in GIST pathogenesis. Lab Invest 90:23A, 2010.
- Foo WC, Carlson JW, Lyon E, Walton D, Farmer P, Nose V. Partners In pathology: a model for department-wide educational experience. Lab Invest 89:113A, 2009.
- Hofer MD, Foo WC, Gordon G, Sugarbaker DJ, Bueno R, Corson JM, Chirieac LR. The extent of sarcomatoid component is an independent predictor of survival in malignant mesothelioma. Histopathology 53(Supplement 1):360, 2008.
- Foo WC, Hofer MD, Sugarbaker DJ, Corson JM, Chirieac LR. The accuracy of pretreatment biopsy of pleural malignant mesothelioma in predicting histopathologic type in extrapleural pneumonectomy. Lab Invest 88:341A-342A, 2008.
- Carlson JW, Lyon E, Walton D, Foo WC, Sievers AC, Shulman LN, Farmer P, Nose V. Partners in pathology: a collaborative model to bring pathology to resource poor settings. Lab Invest 88:284A-285A, 2008.
- Foo WC, Lazar A. Pathology of desmoid tumors. In: Desmoid tumors. Springer, Dordrecht, 17-28, 2012.