Meet Wayne Hofstetter, M.D.
About Dr. Hofstetter
Wayne L. Hofstetter, M.D., is currently Professor in the Department of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery and serves as Director of the Esophageal Surgery Program.
A graduate of the University of Southern California Medical School, Dr. Hofstetter focused on thoracic surgical disease, completing fellowships in esophageal and foregut surgeries at the University of Southern California, and then thoracic oncology at M. D. Anderson Cancer Center. Broadly trained as a cardiothoracic surgeon and thoracic oncologist at the Texas Heart Institute, he now devotes a great deal of his work to esophageal cancer and lung cancer. At M. D. Anderson, he formed a strong network of clinicians with specific interests in esophageal diseases. A multidisciplinary group emerged under his able leadership, and together, physicians from other specialties like Gastrointestinal Medical Oncology, Radiation Oncology, and Gastroenterology collaborate closely to treat esophageal cancer patients.
Dr. Hofstetter is a leading proponent of surgical and multidisciplinary approaches to esophageal cancer and minimally invasive approaches to lung cancer, bringing to the institution his unique clinical skills in MIS approaches to thoracic surgery.
Board certified both by the American Board of Surgery and the American Board of Thoracic Surgery, Dr. Hofstetter is nationally and internationally involved in a host of clinical and scientific endeavors with membership in several organizations, the Society for Surgery of the Alimentary Tract, the General Thoracic Surgical Club, the American Association for Thoracic Surgery, including the Society of Thoracic Surgeons, and the International Association for the Study of Lung Cancer. His research, which forms a vital part of his academic role, has led to numerous peer-reviewed publications, notably in such journals as the Journal of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery, Annals of Thoracic Surgery, and Cancer.
In the News
Deputy Chair, Department of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery, Division of Surgery, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
Professor, Department of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery, Division of Surgery, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
Director, Esophageal Surgery Program, Department of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery - Research, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
|1993||University of Southern California Medical School, Los Angeles, CA, USA, MD, MD|
|1989||University of California at Davis, Davis, CA, USA, BA, Economics|
|2002-2002||Fellow, Cardiovascular Surgery, Texas Heart Institute, Houston, TX|
|2001-2001||Fellow, Thoracic & Cardiovascular Surgery, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX|
|2000-2000||Fellow, Cardiovascular Surgery, Texas Heart Institute, Houston, TX|
|1999-2000||Fellow, Thoracic and Esophageal, USC University Hospital, Los Angeles, CA|
|1996-1997||Research Fellowship, LAC+USC, Department of Surgery,, Los Angeles, CA|
|1994-1999||Resident, General Surgery, LAC+USC Medical Center/USC University Hospital, Kenneth J. Norris Cancer Center, Los Angeles, CA|
|1993-1994||Intern, Surgery, The Los Angeles County + University of Southern California (LAC+USC) Medical Center, Los Angeles, CA|
|2002||American Board of Thoracic Surgery|
|2000||American Board of Surgery|
Associate Professor, Department of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery, Division of Surgery, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2007 - 2013
Assistant Professor, Department of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery, Division of Surgery, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2004 - 2007
Assistant Professor, Division of Departments of Thoracic Surgery and Surgical Oncology, David Geffen UCLA School of Medicine, Los Angeles, CA, 2002 - 2004
Instructor, LAC+USC County Hospital, Los Angeles, CA, 1999 - 2000
Junior Faculty, Kenneth Norris Jr. Cancer Center and USC University Hospital, Los Angeles, CA, 1999 - 2000
Institutional Committee Activities
Member, Credential Committee of the Medical Staff, 2010 - Present
Member, Faculty Senate, 2009 - Present
Member, VAT Committee, 2009 - Present
Member, Medical Practice Subcommittee, 2005 - 2008
Director, Esophageal Tumor Board, 2004 - Present
|2014||Best Doctors in America, MD Anderson Cancer Center Physicians|
|2013||Best Doctors in America, MD Anderson Cancer Center Physicians|
|2011||Dwight C. McGoon Award, Thoracic Surgery Resident's Association (TSRA)|
|2010||Dwight C. McGoon Award, Thoracic Surgery Residents Association (TSRA)|
|2006||The Surgery Chief Resident Teaching Award, The University of Texas Houston Medical School, Department of Surgery|
|2005||Robert Ginsberg Surgical Oncology Award, The Radiation Therapy Oncology Group|
- Wang J, Myles B, Wei C, Chang JY, Hofstetter WL, Ajani JA, Swisher SG, Cox JD, Komaki R, Liao Z, Lin SH. Obesity and outcomes in patients treated with chemoradiotherapy for esophageal carcinoma. Dis Esophagus 27(2):168-75, 2014. e-Pub 2013. PMID: 23621168.
- Francis AM, Sepesi B, Correa AM, Blum MA, Erasmus JJ, Lee JH, Maru DM, Mehran RJ, Rice DC, Roth JA, Vaporciyan AA, Walsh GL, Welsh JW, Swisher SG, Hofstetter WL, University of Texas MD Anderson Esophageal Cancer Group. The Influence of Histopathologic Tumor Vability on Long-term Survival and Recurrence Rates Following Neoadjuvant Therapy for Esophageal Adenocarcinoma. Ann Surg 258(3):500-7, 2013. PMID: 24022442.
- Cheedella NK, Suzuki A, Xiao L, Hofstetter WL, Maru DM, Taketa T, Sudo K, Blum MA, Lin SH, Welch J, Lee JH, Bhutani MS, Rice DC, Vaporciyan AA, Swisher SG, Ajani JA. Association between clinical complete response and pathological complete response after preoperative chemoradiation in patients with gastroesophageal cancer: analysis in a large cohort. Ann Oncol 24(5):1262-6, 2013. e-Pub 2012. PMID: 23247658.
- Wadhwa R, Taketa T, Correa AM, Sudo K, Campagna MC, Blum MA, Komaki R, Skinner H, Lee JH, Bhutani MS, Weston B, Maru DM, Rice DC, Swisher S, Hofstetter WL, Ajani JA. Incidence of brain metastases after trimodality therapy in patients with esophageal or gastroesophageal cancer: implications for screening and surveillance. Oncology 85(4):204-7, 2013. e-Pub 2013. PMID: 24051869.
- Taketa T, Xiao L, Sudo K, Suzuki A, Wadhwa R, Blum MA, Lee JH, Weston B, Bhutani MS, Skinner H, Komaki R, Maru DM, Rice DC, Swisher SG, Hofstetter WL, Ajani JA. Propensity-based matching between esophagogastric cancer patients who had surgery and who declined surgery after preoperative chemoradiation. Oncology 85(2):95-9, 2013. e-Pub 2013. PMID: 23860252.
- Hayashi Y, Xiao L, Suzuki A, Blum MA, Sabloff B, Taketa T, Maru DM, Welsh J, Lin SH, Weston B, Lee JH, Bhutani MS, Hofstetter WL, Swisher SG, Ajani JA. A nomogram associated with high probability of malignant nodes in the surgical specimen after trimodality therapy of patients with oesophageal cancer. Eur J Cancer 48(18):3396-404, 2012. e-Pub 2012. PMID: 22853875.
- Blackmon SH, Stephens EH, Correa AM, Hofstetter W, Kim MP, Mehran RJ, Rice DC, Roth JA, Swisher SG, Walsh GL, Vaporciyan AA. Predictors of recurrent pulmonary metastases and survival after pulmonary metastasectomy for colorectal cancer. Ann Thorac Surg 94(6):1802-9, 2012. e-Pub 2012. PMID: 23063195.
- Lin SH, Wang L, Myles B, Thall PF, Hofstetter WL, Swisher SG, Ajani JA, Cox JD, Komaki R, Liao Z. Propensity Score-based Comparison of Long-term Outcomes With 3-Dimensional Conformal Radiotherapy vs Intensity-Modulated Radiotherapy for Esophageal Cancer. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 84(5):1078-85, 2012. e-Pub 2012. PMID: 22867894.
- Sepesi B, Swisher SG, Walsh GL, Correa A, Mehran RJ, Rice D, Roth J, Vaporciyan A, Hofstetter WL. Omental reinforcement of the thoracic esophagogastric anastomosis: An analysis of leak and reintervention rates in patients undergoing planned and salvage esophagectomy. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 144(5):1146-51, 2012. e-Pub 2012. PMID: 22939861.
- Ajani JA, Correa AM, Hofstetter WL, Rice DC, Blum MA, Suzuki A, Taketa T, Welsh J, Lin SH, Lee JH, Bhutani MS, Ross WA, Maru DM, Macapinlac HA, Erasmus J, Komaki R, Mehran RJ, Vaporciyan AA, Swisher SG. Clinical parameters model for predicting pathologic complete response following preoperative chemoradiation in patients with esophageal cancer. Ann Oncol 23(10):2638-42, 2012. e-Pub 2012. PMID: 22831985.
- Marks JL, Hofstetter WL. Esophageal reconstruction with alternative conduits. Surg Clin North Am 92(5):1287-129, 2012. e-Pub 2012. PMID: 23026282.
- Thomas RM, Truty MJ, Nogueras-Gonzalez GM, Fleming JB, Vauthey JN, Pisters PW, Lee JE, Rice DC, Hofstetter WL, Wolff RA, Varadhachary GR, Wang H, Katz MH. Selective Reoperation for Locally Recurrent or Metastatic Pancreatic Ductal Adenocarcinoma Following Primary Pancreatic Resection. J Gastrointest Surg 16(9):1696-704, 2012. e-Pub 2012. PMID: 22644446.
- Lin SH, Komaki R, Liao Z, Wei C, Myles B, Guo X, Palmer M, Mohan R, Swisher SG, Hofstetter WL, Ajani JA, Cox JD. Proton Beam Therapy and Concurrent Chemotherapy for Esophageal Cancer. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 83(3):e345-51, 2012. e-Pub 2012. PMID: 22417808.
- Hofstetter WL. Lymphadenectomy as a benchmark to surgical quality in esophagectomy: comment on "variation in lymph node examination after esophagectomy for cancer in the United States". Arch Surg 147(6):511-2, 2012. PMID: 22786537.
- Amini A, Xiao L, Allen PK, Suzuki A, Hayashi Y, Liao Z, Hofstetter W, Crane C, Komaki R, Bhutani MS, Lee JH, Ajani JA, Welsh J. Celiac node failure patterns after definitive chemoradiation for esophageal cancer in the modern era. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 83(2):e231-9, 2012. e-Pub 2012. PMID: 22436793.
- Welsh J, Settle SH, Amini A, Xiao L, Suzuki A, Hayashi Y, Hofstetter W, Komaki R, Liao Z, Ajani JA. Failure patterns in patients with esophageal cancer treated with definitive chemoradiation. Cancer 118(10):2632-40, 2012. e-Pub 2011. PMID: 22565611.
- Harvin JA, Lahat G, Correa AM, Lee J, Maru D, Ajani J, Marom EM, Welsh J, Bhutani MS, Walsh G, Roth J, Mehran R, Vaporciyan A, Rice D, Swisher S, Hofstetter W. Neoadjuvant chemoradiotherapy followed by surgery for esophageal adenocarcinoma: significance of microscopically positive circumferential radial margins. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 143(2):412-20, 2012. e-Pub 2011. PMID: 22172216.
- Hofstetter W. "Current and Future Options for Treating Esophageal Cancer: A Paradigm Shift Toward Organ-Sparing Therapies". Tex Heart Inst J 39(Ms. No. THIJ-12-2841):846-7, 2012. PMID: 23304031.
- Taketa T, Correa AM, Suzuki A, Blum MA, Chien P, Lee JH, Welsh J, Lin SH, Maru DM, Erasmus JJ, Bhutani MS, Weston B, Rice DC, Vaporciyan AA, Hofstetter WL, Swisher SG, Ajani JA. Outcome of Trimodallity-Eligible Esophagogastric Cancer Patients Who Declined Surgery after Preoperative Chemoradiation. Oncology 85(5):300-304, 2012. e-Pub 2012. PMID: 22964903.
- Suzuki A, Xiao L, Hayashi Y, Blum MA, Welsh JW, Lin SH, Lee JH, Bhutani MS, Weston B, Maru DM, Rice DC, Swisher SG, Hofstetter WL, Erasmus J, Ajani JA. Nomograms for Prognostication of Outcome in Patients with Esophageal and Gastroesophageal Carcinoma Undergoing Definitive Chemoradiotherapy. Oncology 82(2):108-113, 2012. e-Pub 2012. PMID: 22328056.
- Welsh J, Palmer MB, Ajani JA, Liao Z, Swisher SG, Hofstetter WL, Allen PK, Settle SH, Gomez D, Likhacheva A, Cox JD, Komaki R. Esophageal Cancer Dose Escalation using a Simultaneous Integrated Boost Technique. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 82(1):468-74, 2012. e-Pub 2010. PMID: 21123005.
- Hofstetter W. Invited commentary. Esophageal Leaks Repaired by Muscle Flaps. Ann Thorac Surg 88(3):973, 2009. PMID: 19699930.
- Leung KK, Maru D, Abraham S, Hofstetter WL, Mehran R, Anandasabapathy S. Optical EMR: confocal endomicroscopy-targeted EMR of focal high-grade dysplasia in Barrett's esophagus. Gastrointest Endosc 69(1):170-2, 2009. e-Pub 2008. PMID: 18582880.
- Rice D, Swisher S, Pisters K, Fossella F, Herbst R, Hofstetter W, Kies M, Komaki R, Lippman S, Mehran R, Roth J, Stewart D, Vaporciyan A, Walsh G, Cox J. Comment on "Treatment of non-small cell lung cancer stage IIIA: ACCP evidence-based clinical practice guidelines (2nd edition)". Chest 134(6):1349; author reply 1350, 2008. PMID: 19059972.
- Martin LW, Hofstetter W, Swisher SG, Roth JA. Management of intrathoracic leaks following esophagectomy. Adv Surg 40:173-190, 2006. PMID: 17163101.
- Hofstetter WL. Invited commentary. Ann Thorac Surg 93(5):1681, 2012. PMID: 22541197.
- Bhutani MS, Hofstetter WL. Transesophageal EUS and EUS-FNA for lung cancer. Where do we go from here?. J Clin Gastroenterol 41(7):644-646, 2007. PMID: 17667046.
- Skinner HD, Xu E, Lee JH, Bhutani MS, Weston B, Suzuki A, Hofstetter WL, Komaki R, Ajani JA, Wu X. A validated miRNA expression profile for response to neoadjuvant therapy in esophageal cancer. 2013 ASCO Annual Meeting, 2013.
- Swisher S, Moughan J, Komaki R, Ajani JA, Wu TT, Hofstetter WL, Konski AA, Willett C. Final Results of RTOG 0246: A Phase II Study of Selective Surgical Resection for Locoreginally Advanced Esophageal Cancer Treated with a Paclitaxel Based Chemoradiation Regimen. ASCO 2013 GI Cancer Symposium, 2013.
- Marom EM, Moran CA, Piu P, Correa AM, Kim ES, Komaki R, Erasmus JJ, Hofstetter WL, Rice DC, Swisher SG. Computed Tomography Findings Predicting Invasiveness of Thymoma. 40th Congress of the International Society of Oncology and Biomarkers, October 13-17, 2012; Jerusalem, Israel, 2012.
- Hofstetter WL. Multimodality Treatment for Potentially Resectable Esophageal Cancer. In: Shackelford’s Surgery of the Alimentary Tract. Eighth Edition. Elsevier, 382-390, 2018.
- Bruzzi J, Marom EM, Hofstetter WL, McAleer MF. Esophageal Cancer. In: Oncologic Imagain A Multidisciplinary Approach. Elsevier Saunders, 211-230, 2012.
- Hofstetter WL. Salvage Esophagectomy for Persistent Disease After Definitive Chemoradiotherapy. In: Difficult Decisions in Thoracic Surgery, 2010.
- Bruzzi J, Marom E, Hofstetter WL, McAleer M. Esophageal Cancer. In: Oncologic Imaging: A Multidisciplinary Approach. Saunders Elsevier, 2010.
- Kim JY, Hofstetter WL. Tumors of the Mediastinum and Chest Wall. In: Surg Clin North Am. 5. Saunders: Philadelphia, 1019-1040, 2010.
Letters to the Editor
- Hofstetter WL, Swisher SG, and Ajani JA. The addition of induction chemotherapy to preoperative, concurrent chemoradiotherapy improves tumor response in patients with esophageal adenocarcinoma (Author reply to Correspondence). Cancer 109: 1449, 2007.
- Hofstetter WL, Ly P, Anthone G, Ortega AE, Vukasin P, and Beart RW Jr.. Prevalence and distribution of anorectal misdiagnoses. West J of Med 168: 549, 1998.
|Title:||Study of MAGE-A3 in Esophageal Adenocarcinoma|
|Title:||Clinical Study to Evaluate the Coldplay CryoBalloon Full and Swipe Ablation Systems for the Ablation of Human Esophageal Epithelium|
|Funding Source:||C2 Therapeutics|