William R Geiser, M.S.
Department of Imaging Physics, Division of Diagnostic Imaging - Clinical
About Dr. Geiser
William Geiser, M.S., DABR, is a Senior Medical Physicist in the Department of Imaging Physics at the University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center. He is the Mammography Quality Standards Act (MQSA) physicist of record for MD Anderson Cancer Center Section of Breast Imaging.
After obtaining his Masters of Science in Imaging Medical Physics at the University of Florida in 1996, he began his career as clinical medical physicist working with the Environmental Health and Safety program at the University of Florida. While there he performed medical physics services for Shands Hospital at the University of Florida and obtained his board certification in Diagnostic Radiological Physics in May 2000. He moved to Texas to work at the University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center in December of 2001 where he currently practices as a Senior Medical Physicist in the Department of Imaging Physics.
Mr. Geiser area of expertise is in imaging physics as it relates to breast imaging. He is particularly interested in full field digital mammographic imaging and digital breast tomosynthesis. Another passion of his is image informatics and image display.
Mr. Geiser has authored several articles in peer reviewed journals, lectured at international conferences and participated as an instructor in hands on courses. He has authored a book chapter on artifacts in digital mammography.
Present Title & Affiliation
Senior Medical Physicist, Department of Imaging Physics, Division of Diagnostic Imaging, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
Associate Faculty, Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences, Houston, TX
Dosimetry in mammography
Phantoms for FFDM and breast tomosynthesis
Radiologists reading efficiency in mammography
Breast imaging: Mammography, Ultrasound, Tomosynthesis, Contrast Enhanced Mammography, Molecular Breast Imaging
Education & Training
|1996||University of Florida, Gainesville, FL, USA, MS, Medical Physics|
|1992||Southern Oregon State College, Ashland, OR, USA, BS, Physics|
|2000||American Board of Radiology|
- Leong DL, Rainford L, Haygood TM, Whitman GJ, Geiser WR, Stephens TW, Davis PL, Brennan, PC. Radiologist experience effects on contrast detection. J. Opt. Soc. Am. A 31(11):2328-2333, 2014.
- Sechopoulos I, Sabol JM, Berglund J, Bolch WE, Brateman L, Christodoulou E, Flynn M, Geiser W, Goodsitt M, Kyle Jones A, Lo JY, Maidment AD, Nishino K, Nosratieh A, Ren B, Paul Segars W, Von Tiedemann M. Radiation dosimetry in digital breast tomosynthesis: Report of AAPM Tomosynthesis Subcommittee Task Group 223. Med Phys 41(9):091501, 2014. PMID: 25186375.
- Muralidhar GS, Markey MK, Bovik AC, Haygood TM, Stephens TW, Geiser WR, Garg N, Adrada BE, Dogan BE, Carkaci S, Khisty R, Whitman GJ. Stereoscopic interpretation of low-dose breast tomosynthesis projection images. J Digit Imaging 27(2):248-54, 2014. PMID: 24190140.
- Leong DL, Rainford L, Haygood TM, Whitman GJ, Geiser WR, Adrada BE, Santiago L, Brennan PC. Trend of Contrast Detection Threshold with and without Localization. J Digit Imaging 26(6):1099-106, 2013. e-Pub 2013. PMID: 23503988.
- Carkaci S, Geiser WR, Adrada BE, Marquez C, Whitman GJ. How to establish a cost-effective mobile mammography program. AJR Am J Roentgenol 201(5):W691-7, 2013. PMID: 24147498.
- Kanal KM, Krupinski E, Berns EA, Geiser WR, Karellas A, Mainiero MB, Martin MC, Patel SB, Rubin DL, Shepard JD, Siegel EL, Wolfman JA, Mian TA, Mahoney MC. ACR-AAPM-SIIM Practice Guideline for Determinants of Image Quality in Digital Mammography. J Digit Imaging 26(1):10-25, 2013. e-Pub 2012. PMID: 22992865.
- Leong DL, Rainford L, Haygood TM, Whitman GJ, Tchou PM, Geiser WR, Carkaci S, Brennan PC. Verification of DICOM GSDF in Complex Backgrounds. J Digit Imaging 25(5):662-9, 2012. e-Pub 2012. PMID: 22535193.
- Geiser WR, Haygood TM, Santiago L, Stephens T, Thames D, Whitman GJ. Challenges in Mammography: Part 1Artifacts in Digital Mammography. AJR Am J Roentgenol 197(12):W1023 - W1030, 2011. PMID: 22109316.
- Liu X, Lai CJ, Whitman GJ, Geiser WR, Shen Y, Yi Y, Shaw CC. Effects of exposure equalization on image signal-to-noise ratios in digital mammography: A simulation study with an anthropomorphic breast phantom. Med Phys 38(12):6489, 2011. PMID: 22149832.
- Tchou PM, Haygood TM, Atkinson EN, Stephens TW, Davis PL, Arribas EM, Geiser WR, Whitman GJ. Interpretation time of computer-aided detection at screening mammography. Radiology 257(1):40-6, 2010. e-Pub 2010. PMID: 20679448.
- Haygood TM, Arribas E, Brennan PC, Atkinson EN, Herndon M, Dieber J, Geiser W, Santiago L, Mills CM, Davis P, Adrada B, Carkaci S, Stephens TW, Whitman GJ. Conspicuity of Microcalcifications on Digital Screening Mammograms Using Varying Degrees of Monitor Zooming. Acad Radiol 16(12):1509-1517, 2009. PMID: 19896068.
- Lai CJ, Shaw CC, Geiser W, Chen L, Arribas E, Stephens T, Davis PL, Ayyar GP, Dogan BE, Nguyen VA, Whitman GJ, Yang WT. Comparison of Slot Scanning Digital Mammography System with Full Field Digital Mammography System. Med Phys 35(6):2339 - 2346, 2008. PMID: 18649467.
- Lai, C.J., Shaw, C., Geiser, W, Kappadath, SC., Liu, X., Wang, T., Tu, S. and Altunbas, M.. Slot Scanning Versus Ani-Scatter Grid on Digital Mammography-Comparison of Low Contrast Performance Using Contrast-Detail Measurement. SPIE Physics of Medical Imaging 5368:734-742, 2004.
- Rong XJ, Krugh KT, Shepard SJ, Geiser WR. Measurement of focal spot size with slit camera using computed radiography and flat-panel based digital detectors. Med Phys 30(7)(7):1768-75, 2003. PMID: 12906194.
- Huda W, Steinbach BG, Geiser WR, Belden CJ. Optimal technique factors for magnification mammography. Invest Radiol 32(7):378-81, 1997. PMID: 9228602.
- Geiser WR, Huda W, Gkanatsios NA. Effect of patient support pads on image quality and dose in fluoroscopy. Med Phys 24(3)(3):377-82, 1997. PMID: 9089590.
- Rill LN, Huda W, Geiser WR, Gkanatsios NA. Viewbox luminance measurements and their effect on reader performance. Radiology 201:820-820, 1996.