About Dr. Murphy
Prior to joining The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Dr. Murphy was a Professor of Radiology at Washington University in St. Louis (ten years) and Co-Director of Musculoskeletal Radiology at the Mallinckrodt Institute of Radiology (eighteen years). There he was responsible for all forms of musculoskeletal and breast imaging. He supervised peripheral vascular imaging for more than ten years and directed the clinical start-up of magnetic resonance imaging in 1983. He and his colleagues made important contributions to the initial definition of musculoskeletal applications in both computer tomography and magnetic resonance imaging.
Dr. Murphy was recruited to The MD Anderson Cancer Center in 1993 to lead the Division of Diagnostic Imaging. He guided considerable growth in space, faculty, staff, clinical volume, and programs in education and research. Application of best practices helped the Division and the Cancer Center adapt to impressive changes in the delivery and funding of academic. Dr. Murphy relinquished radiology administrative responsibilities in the spring of 2000. While Division Head, Dr. Murphy contributed to many strategic plans of the Cancer Center including product development, marketing, outreach, managed care, addition of nearly one million square feet of new space and growth to more than a billion dollars of annual revenue. He held leadership positions with the Physician Group Practice (Chair of the Finance Committee) and within the Enterprise (Chief Operating Officer, ad interim for nine months) in addition to his appointments in radiology. He has served 21 years as a Board Member and 15 of those years as Chairman of the Board of the MD Anderson Physicians Network, a 501(a) company responsible for community-outreach oncology-management contracts.
Dr. Murphy is a graduate of The University of Pittsburgh (BS) and The Pennsylvania State University, The Milton S. Hershey Medical Center (MD) where he was a member of the Pioneer Class.
Long a member of The Radiological Society of North America, Dr. Murphy completed a 3-year appointment as Chairman of the Program Committee (the RSNA stages the world's largest annual medical meeting) and served the Society as first President in 1997. He has served many journal editorial boards and is regularly recognized as a distinguished reviewer of scientific manuscripts. Dr. Murphy is known for his academic contributions to metabolic bone disease, arthritis, temporomandibular joint dysfunction, oncology, applications of computed tomography and magnetic resonance imaging, forensic radiology and paleoradiology. He has authored or co-authored over 400 articles, book chapters, abstracts and exhibits, and given lectures worldwide. Dr. Murphy has been honored as a Fellow in two professional organizations. The American College of Radiology and The American Academy of Forensic Sciences.
In 1975, Dr. Murphy began to consult with the Medical Examiner of the City of St. Louis and helped enhance the discipline of Forensic Radiology. His interest in forensic science and human identification led to pursuit of imaging application in paleopathology. Dr. Murphy participated in the scientific investigation of a 5300-year-old mummy (The Iceman) released from a Tyrolean glacier in 1991.
Dr. Murphy holds the endowed John. S. Dunn, Sr. Distinguished Chair in Diagnostic Imaging at The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center.
Professor and John S. Dunn, Sr. Distinguished Chair in Diagnostic Imaging, Department of Musculoskeletal Imaging, Division of Diagnostic Imaging, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
1. Imaging methods in musculoskeletal oncology.
2. Advances in imaging benign and malignant bone and soft tissue tumors and other musculoskeletal conditions.
3. Metabolic bone disease including osteoporosis, Paget disease of bone and the metabolic effects of pharmaceuticals on bone metabolism, structure and function.
4. Rheumatological conditions in oncologic patients including induction of rheumatological conditions by pharmaceuticals.
5. Forensic applications of imaging methods.
6. Paleoradiology (the application of imaging methods in paleopathology, anthropology and archeology)7. History of Radiology.
Dr. Murphy's clinical interests include; Musculoskeletal Imaging: conventional radiography, computed tomography, magnetic resonance imaging; Oncological Imaging: benign and malignant bone and soft tissue tumors and the effects and complications of medical, orthopedic and radiation therapies; Imaging of medical conditions in oncology patients: metabolic done disease and rheumatological conditions; and Breast Cancer: benign and malignant conditions and standard imaging methods.
|1971||The Pennsylvania State University, Hershey, PA, USA, MD, Medicine|
|1966||University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA, USA, BS, Biology|
|1972-1975||Clinical Residency, Diagnostic Radiology, Mallinckrodt Institute of Radiology, Washington University School of Medicine, St. Louis, MO|
|1971-1972||Internship, Straight Medicine, Barnes Hospital, St. Louis, MO|
|1975||American Board of Radiology; Diagnostic Radiology|
|1972||Diplomate, National Board of Medical Examiners - lifetime board certified|
Professor of Radiology and John S. Dunn, Sr. Distinguished Chair in Diagnostic Imaging, Department of Diagnostic Radiology, Division of Diagnostic Imaging, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 1993 - 2019
Member, Center for Global Oncology Advisory Group, Department of Center for Global Oncology Advisory Group, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2008 - 2010
Banner Executive Committee, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2008 - 2011
Cochairman, Banner Clinical Committee, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2008 - 2010
Member, Faculty Senate Salary Review Subcommittee, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2007 - 2012
Member, Faculty Senate Finance Subcommittee, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2007 - 2012
Elected Member, Faculty Senate, Department of Faculty Senate, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2006 - 2012
Member, Faculty Senate Tenure Issues Subcommittee, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2006 - 2012
|2011||Leadership Award, Bone Disease Program of Texas|
|2010||Third Annual Neil Messinger, MD lectureship, Bapist Health South Florida|
|2004||Who's Who in Medicine and Healthcare, Marquis Who's Who 5th - 8th Editions|
|2002||One of Houston's Best Doctors, Inside Houston|
|2000||Who's Who in the South and Southwest, Marquis Who's Who 28th - 42nd Editions|
|1998||One of Houston's Top Doctors, Inside Houston|
|1995||Who's Who in Science and Engineering, Marquis Who's Who 3rd & 11th editions|
|1987||Who's Who in the World, Marquis Who's Who 8th - 33rd Editions|
|1987||Who's Who of Emerging Leaders in America, Marquis Who's Who 1st - 3rd Editions|
|1986||Radiology's Most Prolific Reviewer, Radiology|
|1986||Who's Who in the Midwest, Marquis Who's Who 20th - 23rd Editions|
|1985||The A.Z. Ritzman Memorial Lecture, Harrisburg Hospital|
- Haygood TM, Brennan PC, Ryan J, Yamal JM, Liles L, O'Sullivan P, Costelloe CM, Fitzgerald NE, Murphy WA. Central venous line placement in the superior vena cava and the axygos vein: Differentiation on posteroanterior chest radiographs. AJR Am J Roentgenol 196(4):1-5, 2011. PMID: 21427325.
- Costelloe CM, Murphy WA, Haygood TM, Kumar R, McEnery KW, Stafford RJ, Roy A, Bassett RL, Harrell RK, Madewell JE. Comparison of half-dose and full-dose gadolinium MR contrast on the enhancement of bone and soft tissue tumors. Skeletal Radiol 40(3):327-333, 2011. e-Pub 2010. PMID: 20862469.
- Ravoori M, Czaplinska AJ, Sikes C, Han L, Johnson EM, Qiao W, Ng C, Cody DD, Murphy WA, Do KA, Navone NM, Kundra V. Quantification of mineralized bone response to prostate cancer by noninvasive in vivo microCT and non-destructive ex vivo microCT and DXA in a mouse model. PLoS One 5(3):e9854, 2010. PMID: 20360964.
- Costelloe CM, Murphy WA, Chasen BA. Musculoskeletal pitfalls in 18-F-FDG PET/CT: Pictorial review. AJR Am J Roentgenol 193(3 Suppl):S25, 2009. e-Pub 2009. PMID: 19696250.
- Costelloe CM, Murphy WA, Chasen BA. Musculoskeletal pitfalls in 18-F-FDG PET/CT: Self-assessment module. AJR Am J Roentgenol 193(3 Suppl):S26-S30, 2009. e-Pub 2009. PMID: 19696241.
- Costelloe CM, Murphy WA, Madewell JE. Imaging chronic sclerosing osteitis of the diaphysis of tubular bones. AJR Am J Roentgenol 192(3):736-742, 2009. PMID: 19234272.
- Bligh M, Bidaut L, White RA, Murphy WA, Stevens DM, Cody DD. Helical multidetector row quantitative computed tomography (QCT) precision. Acad Radiol 16(2):150-159, 2009. PMID: 19124100.
- Habra MA, Jimenez C, Huang SC, Cote GJ, Murphy WA, Gagel RF, Hoff AO. Expression analysis of fibroblast growth factor-23, matrix extracellular phosphoglycoprotein, secreted frizzled-related protein-4, and fibroblast growth factor-7: identification of fibroblast growth factor-23 and matrix extracellular phosphoglycoprotein as major factors involved in tumor-induced osteomalacia. Endocr Pract 14(9):1108-1114, 2008. PMID: 19158050.
- Costelloe CM, Kumar R, Yasko AW, Murphy WA, Stafford RJ, Lewis VO, Lin PP, Madewell JE. Imaging characteristics of locally recurrent tumors of bone. AJR Am J Roentgenol 188(3):855-863, 2007. PMID: 17312079.
- Costelloe CM, Yasko AW, Murphy WA, Kumar R, Lewis VO, Lin PP, Stafford J, Madewell JE. MRI of locally recurrent soft tissue tumors of the musculoskeletal system. Internet J of Radiol 5(2), 2007.
- Yang WT, Lai CJ, Whitman GJ, Murphy WA, Dryden MJ, Kushwaha AC, Sahin AA, Johnston D, Dempsey PJ, Shaw CC. Comparison of full-field digital mammography and screen-film mammography for detection and characterization of simulated small masses. AJR Am J Roentgenol 187(6):W576-81, 2006. PMID: 17114508.
- Ruff CB, Holt BM, Sládek V, Berner M, Murphy WA, zur Nedden D, Seidler H, Recheis W. Body size, body proportions, and mobility in the Tyrolean "Iceman". J Hum Evol 51(1):91-101, 2006. e-Pub 2006. PMID: 16549104.
- Morello FA, Murphy WA. Ensuring the radiologist workforce: opportunities during education. J Am Coll Radiol 1(11):848-853, 2004. PMID: 17411716.
- Anthony CT, Hughey S, Lyons J, Weiss S, Hornick CA, Drouant GJ, Fuselier JA, Coy DH, Murphy WA, Woltering EA. The effect of drug dose and drug exposure time on the binding, internalization, and cytotoxicity of radiolabeled somatostatin analogs. J Surg Res 119(1):1-13, 2004. PMID: 15126075.
- Cooke HJ, Wang YZ, Wray D, O'Dorisio MS, Woltering EA, Coy DH, Murphy WA, Christofi FL, Gosh P, O'Dorisio TM. A multi-tyrosinated sst1/2 receptor preferring somatostatin agonist inhibits reflex and immune-mediated secretion in the guinea pig colon. Regul Pept 114(1):51-60, 2003. PMID: 12763640.
- Murphy WA, Nedden Dz D, Gostner P, Knapp R, Recheis W, Seidler H. The iceman: discovery and imaging. Radiology 226(3):614-29, 2003. e-Pub 2003. PMID: 12601185.
- Fuselier JA, Sun L, Woltering SN, Murphy WA, Vasilevich N, Coy DH. An adjustable release rate linking strategy for cytotoxin-peptide conjugates. Bioorg Med Chem Lett 13(5):799-803, 2003. PMID: 12617894.
- Champion HC, Bivalacqua TJ, Pierce RL, Murphy WA, Coy DH, Hyman AL, Kadowitz PJ. Responses to human CGRP, ADM, and PAMP in human thymic arteries. Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 284(2):R531-7, 2003. PMID: 12529288.
- Schiller NK, Timothy AM, Aurora HS, Chen IL, Coy DH, Murphy WA, Akers DL, Fonseca VA, Kadowitz PJ, McNamara DB. A selective somatostatin type-2 receptor agonist inhibits neointimal thickening and enhances endothelial cell growth and morphology following aortic balloon injury in the rabbit. Mol Cell Biochem 240(1-2):31-7, 2002. PMID: 12487369.
- Sun L, Fuselier JA, Murphy WA, Coy DH. Antisense peptide nucleic acids conjugated to somatostatin analogs and targeted at the n-myc oncogene display enhanced cytotoxity to human neuroblastoma IMR32 cells expressing somatostatin receptors. Peptides 23(9):1557-65, 2002. PMID: 12217415.
- Rajeswaran WG, Murphy WA, Taylor JE, Coy DH. Exploration of the DTrp-NMeLys motif in the search for potent somatostatin antagonists. Bioorg Med Chem 10(6):2023-9, 2002. PMID: 11937362.
- McEnery KW, Suitor CT, Thompson SK, Shepard JS, Murphy WA. Evaluation of soft copy distribution of diagnostic studies before soft copy interpretation. J Digit Imaging 15 Suppl 1:76-80, 2002. e-Pub 2002. PMID: 12105702.
- McEnery KW, Suitor CT, Thompson SK, Shepard JS, Murphy WA. Enterprise utilization of "always on-line" diagnostic study archive. J Digit Imaging 15 Suppl 1:81-6, 2002. e-Pub 2002. PMID: 12105703.
- Murphy WA. [Book Review] Musculoskeletal diseases -- diagnostic imaging and interventional techniques. GK Von Schulthess and ChL Zollikofer (eds); Springer-Verlag Italia, Milan, 192 pages. J Nucle Med 47:897, 2006.
- Murphy WA. [Book Review] Practical Breast Pathology, by Tibot Tot, László Tabár, and Peter B. Dean; George Thieme Verlag, Stuttgart, Germany, 164pages. AJR 179:900, 2002.
- Alford E, Murphy Jr WA, Shah J, Jimenez C, Lee B, Hu MI. An Unusual Case of acquired and rapid osteosclerosis. Endocr Rev 32((#P2-151)), 2011.
- Westin JR, Hagemeister FB, Thompson MA, Cataldo VD, Toth BB, Sanjorjo S, Bourgeois S, Jimenez C, Murphy WA, Kwak LW. The effect of zoledronic acid on the prevention of bone loss in lymphoma patients receiving first-line therapy. J Clin Oncol 28(7s)((#9103)), 2010.
- Costelloe CM, Murphy, WA, Madewell JE, Haygood TM, Kumar R, McEnery KW, Stafford RJ, Roy A, Harrell RK, Bassett RL Jr. The effect of half dose intravenous Gadolinium MR contrast on the conspicuity of bone and soft tissue lesions. RSNA Annual Meeting Program:370, 2009.
- Khan MI, Murphy WA, Gagel RF, Hu MI. Long-term bisphosphonate use and risk of subtrochanteric insufficiency fractures: case review. J Bone Min Res 24 (Suppl 1), 2009.
- Westin JR, Thompson MA, Cataldo VD, Toth BB, Sanjorjo P, Bourgeois S, Jimenez C, Murphy WA, Fanale M, Fayad L, Fowler N, Kwak l, McLaughlin P, Neelapu S, Pro B, Rodriguez A, Shah J, Hagemeister FB. Bone loss in lymphoma patients receiving frontline therapy: Urine NTx and bone specific AP provide early evidence of zoledronic acid response. Blood 114(22)((#1680)):Abstr 3922, 2009.
- Cataldo VD, Thompson MA, Toth BB, Sanjorjo P, Bekele BN, Jimenex C, Murphy WA, Huen AO, Arbuckle RB, Fanale MA, Fayad LE, Fowler N, Kwak LW, McLaughlin PW, Neelapu SS, Pro B, Rodriquez A, Shah J, Hagemeister FB. Bone loss in patients with previously untreated lymphoma: The effects of periodontal disease on the use of Zoledronic acid. Blood 112:5297, 2008.
- Thompson MA, Huen A, Toth BB, Vassilopoulou-Sellin R, Hoff AO, Murphy WA, Sanjorjo H, Bekele BN, Arbuckle RB, Hagemeister FB. Osteopenia and osteoporosis in untreated non-Hodgkin's lymphoma patients: an important and potentially treatable survivorship issue in lymphoma. J Clin Oncol 25(18S):9055, 2007.
- Bligh M, Bidaut L, White RA, Murphy WA, Stevens DM, Cody DD. Implementing quantitative computed tomography on multi-slice scanners. Med Phys 33(6):2159, 2006.
- Costelloe CM, Eftekari F, Madewell JE, Murphy WA. Long term follow-up of chronic sclerosing osteitis of tubular bones. Radiology 241(P):914, 2006.
- Thompson MA, Huen A, Ayers GD, Toth BB, Sellin RV, Hoff AO, Murphy WAJr, Hagemeister FB. Baseline osteopenia and osteoporosis in untreated non-Hodgkin's lymphoma patients. Blood 108:4067, 2006.
- Habra MA, Huang SE, Cote GJ, Murphy WA Jr, Katz RL, Gagel RF, Klein MJ, Hoff AO. FGF-23, FGF-7, sFRP-4, and MEPE expression in tumor induced osteomalacia. J Bone Min Res 20:S340, 2005.
- Ruff CB, Holt BM, Sládek V, Berner M, Murphy WA Jr, zur Nedden D, Seidler H, Recheis W. Body size, body shape, and long bone strength of the Tyrolean iceman. Am J Phys Anthropol 2005(suppl) 40:180, 2005.
- Yang WT, Lai CJ, Whitman GJ, Murphy WA, Dryden MJ, Kushwaha AC, Sahin AA, Shaw C. Evaluation of breast phantom masses with full field digital mammography. AJR 182:107, 2004.
- McEnery KW, Suitor MS, Shepard SJ, Murphy WA. Cost comparison of application service provider PACS versus Capital purchase PACS: MD Anderson Cancer Center experience. Radiology 223:640, 2004.
- Costelloe CM, Sepulveda K, McAlee K, Kumar R, Madewell JE, Murphy WA, McEnery K. Magnetic resonance imaging of locally recurrent soft tissue tumors. Radiology 223:739, 2004.
- Costelloe CM, Sepulveda K, Devine C, McAlee K, Kumar R, Madewell JE, Murphy WA, McEnery K. Imaging characteristics of locally recurrent tumors of bone . Radiology 223:740, 2004.
- Garcia JM, Murphy WA Jr, Waguespack SG. A unique sclerosing bone disorder identified in three generations of one family. J Bone Min Res 18:S387, 2003.
- Sabloff BS, Munden RF, Gladish GW, Truong MT, Erasmus JJ, Madewell JM, Murphy WA Jr. Comparison of normal anatomic structures using digital radiography (DR) vs conventional film screen. Radiology 221:354, 2001.
- Munden RF, Gladish GW, Sabloff BS, Truong MT, Murphy WA Jr, Madewell JM, Slaughter KD, Thompson SK, Johnston DA, Shaw CC. Comparison of the visualization of normal anatomic structures using computed radiography (CR) and digital radiography (DR). . AJR 176:78, 2001.
- Haygood TM, Murphy WA Jr. Radiation Effects in the Musculoskeletal System. In: Imaging of the Musculoskeletal System. 1st Edition. Elsevier Saunders: Philadelphia, 1002-1009, 2008.
- Vogler JB III, Murphy WA Jr. Diffuse Marrow Diseases. In: MRI of the Musculoskeletal System. 5th Edition. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins: Philadelphia, Chapter 14, 948-1005, 2006.
- Murphy WA Jr. Radiology Overview. In: Encyclopedia of Forensic and Legal Medicine. 1st Edition. Elsevier Limited: Oxford, 45-57, 2005.
- Murphy WA Jr, Gladish GW, Gupta S, Kumar AJ, Matamoros A Jr, Wong FC. Imaging. In: Internal Medicine Care of Cancer Patients. 1st Edition. BC Decker, Inc: Hamilton, 2005.
- Murphy WA Jr, Kaplan PA, Resnick D. Temporomandibular Manifestations of Articular Disease. In: Bone and Joint Imaging. 3rd Edition. Elsevier Saunders: Philadelphia, Chapter 39, 5005-518, 2005.
- Murphy WA Jr, Kaplan PA, Resnick D. Temporomandibular Joint. In: Diagnosis of Bone and Joint Disorders. 4th Edition. W. B. Saunders: Philadelphia, Chapter 44, 1705-1754, 2002.
- Vogler JB III, Murphy WA Jr. Diffuse Marrow Diseases. In: MRI of the Musculoskeletal System. 4th Edition. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins: Philadelphia, Chapter 14, 979-1028, 2001.
- Murphy WA Jr, Preston BJ. Joint Disease. In: Diagnostic Radiology. A Textbook of Medical Imaging. 4th Edition. Churchill Livingston: London, Chapter 84A,1995-2026, 2001.
|Title:||A Double-Blind Clinical Study Comparing the Safety, Tolerance and Efficacy of MP 328 (24%) and Conray 43 (Iothalamate Meglumine) in Ascending Phlebography|
|Funding Source:||Mallinckrodt, Inc|
|Title:||A Double-Blind Clinical Study Comparing the Safety, Tolerance and Efficacy of MP302 (Hexabrix) and MP405 (Hexabrix 20) in Ascending Phlebography|
|Funding Source:||Mallinckrodt, Inc|
|Title:||Rocaltrol in the Treatment of Corticosteroid-induced Osteopenia|
|Funding Source:||Hoffman-LaRoche, Inc., PI - Bevra H. Hahn|
|Title:||Breast Cancer Detection: Evaluating the Role of NMR Imaging|
|Title:||A Double-Blind Randomized, Stratified, Parallel-Group, Six-Month Study to Compare the Safety, Tolerability, and Efficacy of Oral Alendronate Sodium and Oral Etidronate in Paget's Disease of Bone|
|Funding Source:||Merck & Co|
|Title:||A Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled, Randomized Study of the Safety, Tolerability, and Efficacy of Oral Alendronate on Paget's Disease of Bone|
|Funding Source:||Merck & Co|
|Title:||Prevalence and Epidemiology of Pelvic Paget's Disease of Bone in the United States|
|Funding Source:||National Center for Health Statistics HANES I The RGK Foundation|
|Title:||Analog to Digital Conversion of Historically Important and Educationally Unique Musculoskeletal Radiographs|
|Funding Source:||The Mike Hogg Fund|
|Title:||A History of the Division Of Diagnostic Imaging of the MD Anderson Cancer Center|
|Funding Source:||The Mike Hogg Fund|