About Dr. Rong
Dr. Rong joined MD Anderson as a research faculty in Department of Diagnostic Radiology in 1999, after obtaining his Medical Physics training from The University of Michigan Medical Center. He completed his clinical training in the Imaging Physics Residency Program (2001-2003) at MD Anderson. From 2003 to 2006, he was an assistant professor at the University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center. He rejoined MD Anderson in 2006 and has been serving as Quality Officer for Department of Imaging Physics since 2009, leading the effort of compliance, faculty credentialing and quality improvement.
Dr. Rong is board-certified by American Board of Radiology (ABR) and licensed by Texas Medical Board for practicing diagnostic medical physics. He provides imaging physics support for all aspects related to clinical CT operations. He has been actively involved in clinical research in the fields of CT radiation dose reduction and image optimization. As a faculty member of The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center UTHealth Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences (GSBS), Dr. Rong has been actively involved in teaching of Medical Physics graduate students, serving as the course coordinator for the Medical Physics core course Introduction to Medical Physics II: Medical Imaging. He is also the primary faculty physicist supervising imaging physics fellows/residents in CT rotations.
Professor, Department of Imaging Physics, Division of Diagnostic Imaging, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
Patient Safety and Quality Officer, Department of Imaging Physics, Division of Diagnostic Imaging, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
Member of Graduate Faculty, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center UT Health Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences (GSBS), Houston, TX
His research interest has been centered around evaluating/optimizing CT scanner performance and image quality, and managing/optimizing CT clinical protocols for achieveing patient radiation dose reduction.
His primary clinical interest has been to support clinical CT physics in Diagnostic Imaging so that patients receive the highest quality patient care possible.
|1996||University of Missouri-Columbia, Columbia, MO, USA, PHD, Health Physics|
|1992||University of Missouri-Columbia, Columbia, MO, USA, MS, Health Physics|
|1984||Peking University, Beijing, CHN, BS, Nuclear Physics|
|2001-2003||Resident, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX|
|1997-1999||Postdoctoral Fellowship, The University of Michigan Medical Center, Ann Arbor, MI|
|2015||American Board of Medical Quality|
|2004||American Board of Radiology (Diagnostic Medical Physics)|
Associate Professor, Department of Imaging Physics, Division of Diagnostic Imaging, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2010 - 2017
Assistant Professor, Department of Imaging Physics, Division of Diagnostic Imaging, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2006 - 2010
Institutional Committee Activities
Member, Credentials Committee of the Medical Staff, The University of MD Anderson Cancer Center, 2014 - 2017
Member, Radiation Safety Committee, University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, 2008 - 2014
Reviewer, American College of Radiology, Reston, VA, 2007 - Present
- Jensen CT, Telesmanich ME, Wagner-Bartak NA, Liu X, Rong J, Szklaruk J, Qayyum A, Wei W, Chandler AG, Tamm EP. Evaluation of abdominal computed tomography image quality using a new version of vendor-specific model-based iterative reconstruction. J Comput Assist Tomogr 41(1):67-74, 2017. e-Pub 2016. PMID: 27529683.
- Ghani MU, Ren L, Wong M, Li Y, Zheng B, Rong XJ, Yang K, Liu H. Noise power characteristics of a micro-computed tomography system. J Comput Assist Tomogr 41(1):82-89, 2017. e-Pub 2016. PMID: 27680419.
- Ghosh P, Chandler AG, Altinmakas E, Rong J, Ng CS. Correction of motion artifacts from shuttle mode computed tomography acquisitions for body perfusion imaging applications. J Comput Assist Tomogr 40(3):471-7, 2016. PMID: 27192503.
- Dodge CT, Tamm EP, Cody DD, Liu X, Jensen CT, Wei W, Kundra V, Rong J. Performance evaluation of iterative reconstruction algorithms for achieving CT radiation dose reduction - A phantom study. J Appl Clin Med Phys 17(2):511-531, 2016. e-Pub 2016. PMID: 27074454.
- Page L, Wei W, Kundra V, Rong J. Dose reduction in CT urography and vasculature phantom studies using model based iterative reconstruction. J Appl Clin Med Phys 17(6), 2016.
- Li G, Liu X, Dodge CT, Jensen CT, Rong XJ. A noise power spectrum study of a new model-based iterative reconstruction system: Veo 3.0. J Appl Clin Med Phys 17(5):6225, 2016. e-Pub 2016. PMID: 27685118.
- Gamache C, English JD, Salas-Lopez AM, Rong J Akyalcin S. Assessment of image quality in maxillofacial cone-beam computed tomography imaging. Seminars in Orthodontics 21(4):248-253, 2015.
- Wait JM, Cody D, Jones AK, Rong J, Baladandayuthapani V, Kappadath SC. Performance evaluation of material decomposition with rapid-kilovoltage-switching dual-energy CT and implications for assessing bone mineral density. AJR Am J Roentgenol 204(6):1234-41, 2015. PMID: 26001233.
- Yao J, Shaw C, Lai CJ, Rong J, Wang J, Liu W. Cone beam CT for determining breast cancer margin: An initial experience and its comparison with mammography and specimen radiograph. Int J Clin Exp Med 8(9):15206-13, 2015. e-Pub 2015. PMID: 26629005.
- Mueller JW, Vining DJ, Jones AK, Followill D, Johnson VE, Bhosale P, Rong J, Cody DD. JOURNAL CLUB: In vivo CT dosimetry during CT colonography. AJR Am J Roentgenol 202(4):703-10, 2014. PMID: 24660695.
- Greene TC, Rong XJ. Evaluation of techniques for slice sensitivity profile measurement and analysis. J Appl Clin Med Phys 15(2):4042, 2014. e-Pub 2014. PMID: 24710429.
- Nute JL, Rong J, Stevens DM, Darensbourg BJ, Cheng J, Wei W, Hobbs BP, Cody DD. Evaluation of over 100 scanner-years of computed tomography daily quality control data. Med Phys 40(5):051908 (1-11), 2013. PMID: 23635278.
- Tamm EP, Rong XJ, Cody DD, Ernst RD, Fitzgerald NE, Kundra V. Quality initiatives: CT radiation dose reduction: How to implement change without sacrificing diagnostic quality. Radiographics 31(7):1823-32, 2011. e-Pub 2011. PMID: 21969662.
- Hulme KW, Rong J, Chasen B, Chuang HH, Cody DD, Wong FC, Kappadath SC. A CT acquisition technique to generate images at various dose levels for prospective dose reduction studies. AJR Am J Roentgenol 196(2):W144-51, 2011. PMID: 21257855.
- Wong M, Zhang D, Rong J, Wu X, and Liu H. Optimizing photon fluence measurements for the accurate determination of detective quantum efficiency. Journal of Electronic Imaging 18(4):043010, 2009.
- Zhang D, Rong J, Chen WR, Gao F, Xu K, Wu X, Liu H. Impact of additive noise on system performance of a digital x-ray imaging system. IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering 54(1):1-5, 2007.
- Zhang Q, Rong J, Wu X, Li Y, Chen WR, and Liu H. Impacts of filtration to contrast - detail detectability of an x-ray imaging system. International Journal of Biomedical Imaging 2006:1-8, 2006.
- Zhang D, Rong J, Chu R, Chen WR, Liu H. DQE measurements in magnification x-ray imaging. Journal of X-ray Sciences and Technology 14:141-150, 2006.
- Zhang D, Rong J, Chu R, Wu X, Liu H. Imaging characteristics of a high-resolution computed radiography system. Journal of X-ray Science and Technology 14:273-282, 2006.
- Zhang Q, Li Y, Steele B, Wu X, Chen WR, Rong J, and Liu H. Comparison of a CMOS-based and a CCD-based digital x-ray imaging system: observer studies. Journal of Electronic Imaging 14(2):023002-1 to 6, 2005.
- Rong XJ, Krugh KT, Shepard J, and Geiser G. Measurement of focal spot size with slit camera using computed radiography and flat-panel based digital detectors. Medical Physics 30(7):1768-1775, 2003.
- Rong XJ, Shaw C, Johnston DA, Lemacks MR, Liu X, Whitman GJ, Dryden MJ, Stephens TW, Thompson SK, Krugh KT and Lai CJ. Microcalcification detectability for four mammographic detectors: flat-panel, CCD, CR, and sreen/film. Medical Physics 29(9):2052-2061, 2002.
- Rong XJ, Shaw C, Liu X, Lemacks MR, and Thompson SK. Comparison of an amorphous silicon/cesium iodide flat-panel digital chest radiography system with screen/film and computed radiography systems - A contrast detail phantom study. Medical Physics 28(11):2328-2335, 2001.
- Ghani MU, Wong MD, Ren L, Wu D, Zheng B Zheng B, Rong JX, Wu Xizeng W, Liu H. Characterization of continuous and pulsed emission modes of a hybrid micro focus x-ray source for medical imaging applications. Nuclear Instruments and Methods in Physics Research A 853:70-77. e-Pub 2017.
- Bache S, Stauduhar P, Liu Xinming, Loyer EM, Rong J. Quantification of clinical feedback on image quality differences between two CT scanner models. J Appl Clin Med Phys 18(2). e-Pub 2017.
- Akyalcin S, English JD, Abramovitch KM, Rong XJ. Measurement of skin dose from cone-beam computed tomography imaging. Head Face Med 9(1):28. e-Pub 2013. PMID: 24192155.