Meet Y. Nancy You, M.D.
Yi-Qian Nancy You, MD, MHSc, FACS
Department of Colon & Rectal Surgery, Division of Surgery
About Dr. You
Dr. You performs both open and advanced minimally-invasive surgery for colorectal cancer. Her clinical focus is personalized surgical care for colorectal cancer that is coordinated with multidisciplinary treatments, emphasizing sphincter-preservation, quality-of-life, and long-term cancer survivorship. She is also the medical director of the Familial High-risk Gastrointestinal Cancer Clinic, providing care to patients and families with inherited cancer syndromes. Her research centers on hereditary cancer predisposition syndromes and on colorectal cancer particularly that occurring before age 50. Her research program aims to optimize the survival, the patient experience, and the quality of care of these patients, through clinical registries, treatment and quality-improvement trials, and cancer genetics translational studies.
She received her college degree from Harvard University and her medical degree from Mayo Clinic College of Medicine. She completed her General Surgery and Fellowship in Colorectal Surgery at the Mayo Clinic. She holds a Masters Degree in Health Sciences from Duke University, where she was a fellow in Clinical Surgical Oncology with the American College of Surgeons Oncology Group (ACOSOG, now ALLIANCE for Clinical Trials in Oncology).
Present Title & Affiliation
Professor, Department of Colon & Rectal Surgery, Division of Surgery, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
Associate Medical Director, Clinical Cancer Genetics Program, University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
Affiliate Faculty, Clinical Cancer Genetics Program, University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
Associate Professor, Department of Clinical Cancer Prevention, Division of Cancer Prevention & Population Sciences, University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
Assistant Professor, University of Texas Health Sciences Center at Houston, Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences, Houston, TX
Education & Training
|2006||Duke University School of Medicine, Durham, NC, USA, MHSc, Health Sciences|
|2001||Mayo Clinic College of Medicine, Rochester, MN, USA, MD, Medicine|
|1997||Harvard University, Cambridge, MA, USA, AB, Molecular Cellular Biology, Honors|
|2015-2016||Heart of Leadership Program, University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX|
|2011-2011||Molecular Biology in Clinical Oncology Course, American Association for Cancer Research (AACR), Snowmass, CO|
|2010-2011||Clinical Safety and Effectiveness Program, University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX|
|2010-2010||Outcomes Research Course, American College of Surgeons (ACS), Chicago, IL|
|2008-2009||Clinical Fellowship, Colorectal Surgery, Mayo Clinic Graduate School of Medicine, Rochester, MN|
|2006-2008||Clinical Residency, General Surgery, Mayo Clinic Graduate School of Medicine, Rochester, MN|
|2004-2006||Research Fellowship, Surgical Oncology, American College of Surgeons Oncology Group (ACOSOG, now ALLIANCE) & Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC|
|2002-2004||Clinical Residency, General Surgery, Mayo Clinic Graduate School of Medicine, Rochester, MN|
|2001-2002||Clinical Internship, General Surgery, Mayo Clinic Graduate School of Medicine, Rochester, MN|
|2010||American Board of Colon and Rectal Surgery|
|2008||American Board of Surgery|
Experience & Service
Associate Professor, Department of Surgical Oncology, Division of Surgery, University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2015 - 2021
Assistant Professor, Department of Surgical Oncology, Division of Surgery, University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2009 - 2015
Medical Director, Familial High Risk Gastrointestinal Cancer Clinic, University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2011 - Present
ALLIANCE Representative, The National Cancer Institute Colon Cancer Task Force, Bethesda, MD, 2017 - Present
Council Member, Collaborative Group of Americas on Hereditary GI Cancer, Chicago, IL, 2016 - 2019
Junior Investigator, The National Cancer Institute Rectal-Anal Cancer Task Force, Bethesda, MD, 2014 - 2017
Co-Chair, Education Committee; Member, Executive Committee, ALLIANCE for Clinical Trials in Oncology / American College of Surgeons Clinical Research Program, Chicago, IL, 2010 - 2019
Member, Colorectal Cancer Steering Committee, National Cancer Institute Young Adult/LiveSTRONG Alliance Science Task Force Colorectal Project, Washington, DC, 2009 - 2010
Institutional Committee Activities
Member, Department of Surgical Oncology Research Oversight Committee, University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, 2015 - Present
Member, University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center Institutional Review Board Clinical Research Committee (CRC), 2014 - 2017
Member, Department of Surgical Oncology Fellowship Application Review Committee, University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, 2014 - Present
Member, University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center Credentials Committee of the Medical Staff, 2014 - 2017
Member, University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center Institutional Advisory Committee on Cancer Survivorship Research, 2011 - 2014
Member, University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center Sister Institution Network Fund (SINF) Study Section, 2011 - 2017
Member, Division of Surgery Cancer Surgical Outcomes Group (CSOG), University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, 2010 - Present
Member, Department of Surgical Oncology Education Committee, University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, 2010 - 2014
Surgery Quality Consultant, MD Anderson Physician Network, Houston, TX, 2015 - 2017
Honors & Awards
|2014||President's Recognition for Faculty Excellence, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center|
|2014||Faculty Excellence in Research Award, Cancer Survivorship Research Symposium|
|2013||Best Basic Science Poster, American Society of Colon and Rectal Surgeons Annual Meeting|
|2012||Top Doctors for Cancer, US News and World Report|
|2012||Outstanding Teaching Award for Research, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center|
|2007||The Kaare K. Nygaard Clinical Research Award, Mayo Clinic|
|2006||Merit Award, The American Society of Clinical Oncology Foundation|
|2005||Short-term Missions Scholarship Award, National Christian Medical and Dental Association, 2005|
|2005||The Donald E. Balfour Research Award, Mayo Clinic|
- Bednarski BK, Slack RS, Katz M, You YN, Papadopolous J, Rodriguez-Bigas MA, Skibber JM, Matin SF, Chang GJ. Assessment of Ileostomy Output Using Telemedicine: A Feasibility Trial. Dis Colon Rectum 61(1):77-83, 2018. PMID: 29215474.
- Conrad C, Vauthey JN, Masayuki O, Sheth RA, Yamashita S, Passot G, Bailey CE, Zorzi D, Kopetz S, Aloia TA, You YN. Individualized Treatment Sequencing Selection Contributes to Optimized Survival in Patients with Rectal Cancer and Synchronous Liver Metastases. Ann Surg Oncol 24(13):3857-3864, 2017. e-Pub 2017. PMID: 28929463.
- You YN, Skibber JM, Hu CY, Crane CH, Das P, Kopetz ES, Eng C, Feig BW, Rodriguez-Bigas MA, Chang GJ. Impact of multimodal therapy in locally recurrent rectal cancer. Br J Surg 103(6):753-762, 2016. e-Pub 2016. PMID: 26933792.
- Mork ME, You YN, Ying J, Bannon SA, Lynch PM, Rodriguez-Bigas MA, Vilar E. High Prevalence of Hereditary Cancer Syndromes in Adolescents and Young Adults With Colorectal Cancer. J Clin Oncol 33(31):3544-9, 2015. e-Pub 2015. PMID: 26195711.
- Dineen S, Lynch PM, Rodriguez-Bigas MA, Bannon S, Taggart M, Reeves C, Modaro C, Overman M, Chang GJ, Skibber JM, You YN. A Prospective Six-Sigma Quality Improvement Trial To Optimize Universal Screening For Genetic Syndrome Among Patients with Young-Onset Colorectal Cancer. J Natl Compr Canc Netw 13(7):865-72, 2015. PMID: 26150580.
- Dempsey KM, Broaddus R, You YN, Noblin SJ, Mork M, Fellman B, Urbauer D, Daniels M, Lu K. Is it all Lynch syndrome?: An assessment of family history in individuals with mismatch repair-deficient tumors. Genet Med 17(6):476-84, 2015. e-Pub 2014. PMID: 25341111.
- Kneuertz PJ, Chang GJ, Hu CY, Rodriguez-Bigas MA, Eng C, Vilar E, Skibber JM, Feig BW, Cormier JN, You YN. Overtreatment of young adults with colon cancer: more intense treatments with unmatched survival gains. JAMA Surg 150(5):402-9, 2015. PMID: 25806815.
- Bailey CE, Tran Cao HS, Hu CY, Chang GJ, Feig BW, Rodriguez-Bigas MA, Nguyen ST, Skibber JM, You YN. Functional Deficits and Symptoms of Long-Term Survivors of Colorectal Cancer Treated by Multimodality Therapy Differ by Age at Diagnosis. J Gastrointest Surg 19(1):180-8, 2015. e-Pub 2014. PMID: 25213581.
- Bailey CE, Hu CY, You YN, Bednarski BK, Rodriguez-Bigas MA, Skibber JM, Cantor SB, Chang GJ. Increasing Disparities in the Age-Related Incidences of Colon and Rectal Cancers in the United States, 1975-2010. JAMA Surg 150(1):1-6, 2015. e-Pub 2014. PMID: 25372703.
- Vilar E, Mork ME, Cuddy A, Borras E, Bannon SA, Taggart MW, Ying J, Broaddus RR, Luthra R, Rodriguez-Bigas MA, Lynch PM, You YQ. Role of microsatellite instability-low as a diagnostic biomarker of Lynch syndrome in colorectal cancer. Cancer Genet 207(10-12):495-502, 2014. e-Pub 2014. PMID: 25432668.
- Hyngstrom JR, Tzeng CW, Beddar S, Das P, Krishnan S, Delclos ME, Crane CH, Chang GJ, You YN, Feig BW, Skibber JM, Rodriguez-Bigas MA. Intraoperative Radiation Therapy for Locally Advanced Primary and Recurrent Colorectal Cancer: Ten-year Institutional Experience. J Surg Oncol 109(7):652-8, 2014. e-Pub 2014. PMID: 24510523.
- Hallemeier CL, You YN, Larson DW, Dozois EJ, Nelson H, Klein KA, Miller RC, Haddock MG. Multimodality Therapy including Salvage Surgical Resection and Intraoperative Radiotherapy for Patients with Squamous-Cell Carcinoma of the Anus with Residual or Recurrent Disease after Primary Chemoradiotherapy. Dis Colon Rectum 57(4):442-8, 2014. PMID: 24608300.
- Ahnen DJ, Wade SW, Jones WF, Sifri R, Mendoza Silveiras J, Greenamyer J, Guiffre S, Axilbund J, Spiegel A, You YN. The increasing incidence of young-onset colorectal cancer: a call to action. Mayo Clin Proc 89(2):216-24, 2014. e-Pub 2014. PMID: 24393412.
- Bannon SA, Mork M, Vilar E, Peterson SK, Lu K, Lynch PM, Rodriguez-Bigas MA, You YN. Patient-reported disease knowledge and educational needs in Lynch syndrome: findings of an interactive multidisciplinary patient conference. Hered Cancer Clin Pract 12(1):1, 2014. e-Pub 2014. PMID: 24499499.
- Bowles TL, Hu CY, You YN, Skibber JM, Rodriguez-Bigas MA, Chang GJ,. An Individualized Conditional Survival Calculator for Patients with Rectal Cancer. Diseases of Colon and Rectum 56(5):551-9, 2013. PMID: 23575393.
- Chagpar R, Chiang YJ, Xing Y, Cormier JN, Feig BW, Rashid A, Chang GJ, You YN. Neuroendocrine tumors of the colon and rectum: prognostic relevance and comparative performance of current staging systems. Ann Surg Oncol 20(4):1170-8, 2013. e-Pub 2012. PMID: 23212760.
- Boland GM, Chang GJ, Haynes AB, Chiang YJ, Chagpar R, Xing Y, Hu CY, Feig BW, You YN, Cormier JN. Association between adherence to National Comprehensive Cancer Network treatment guidelines and improved survival in patients with colon cancer. Cancer 119(8):1593-601, 2013. e-Pub 2012. PMID: 23280510.
- You YN, Roses RE, Chang GJ, Rodriguez-Bigas MA, Feig BW, Slack R, Nguyen S, Skibber JM. Multimodality salvage of recurrent disease after local excision for rectal cancer. Dis Colon Rectum 55(12):1213-9, 2012. PMID: 23135578.
- Park IJ, You YN, Agarwal A, Skibber JM, Rodriguez-Bigas MA, Eng C, Feig BW, Das P, Krishnan S, Crane CH, Hu CY, Chang GJ. Neoadjuvant treatment response as an early response indicator for patients with rectal cancer. J Clin Oncol 30(15):1770-6, 2012. e-Pub 2012. PMID: 22493423.
- Chang GJ, You YN, Park IJ, Kaur H, Hu CY, Rodriguez-Bigas MA, Skibber JM, Ernst RD. Pretreatment high-resolution rectal MRI and treatment response to neoadjuvant chemoradiation. Dis Colon Rectum 55(4):371-7, 2012. PMID: 22426259.
- Chagpar R, Xing Y, Chiang YJ, Feig BW, Chang GJ, You YN, Cormier JN. Adherence to stage-specific treatment guidelines for patients with colon cancer. J Clin Oncol 30(9):972-9, 2012. e-Pub 2012. PMID: 22355049.
- Kaur H, Choi H, You YN, Rauch GM, Jensen CT, Hou P, Chang GJ, Skibber JM, Ernst RD. MR imaging for preoperative evaluation of primary rectal cancer: practical considerations. Radiographics 32(2):389-409, 2012. PMID: 22411939.
- Park IJ, You YN, Schlette E, Nguyen S, Skibber JM, Rodriguez-Bigas MA, Chang GJ. Reverse-hybrid robotic mesorectal excision for rectal cancer. Dis Colon Rectum 55(2):228-33, 2012. PMID: 22228169.
- You YN, Xing Y, Feig BW, Chang GJ, Cormier JN. Young-onset colorectal cancer: is it time to pay attention?. Arch Intern Med 172(3):287-9, 2012. e-Pub 2011. PMID: 22157065.
- Zielinski MD, Merchea A, Heller SF, You YN. Emergency management of perforated colon cancers: how aggressive should we be?. J Gastrointest Surg 15(12):2232-8, 2011. e-Pub 2011. PMID: 21913040.
- You YN, Dozois EJ, Boardman LA, Aakre J, Huebner M, Larson DW. Young-Onset rectal cancer: presentation, pattern of care and long-term oncologic outcomes compared to a matched older-onset cohort. Ann Surg Oncol 18(9):2469-76, 2011. e-Pub 2011. PMID: 21448750.
- You YN, Habiba H, Chang GJ, Rodriguez-bigas MA, Skibber JM. Prognostic value of quality of life and pain in patients with locally recurrent rectal cancer. Ann Surg Oncol 18(4):989-96, 2011. e-Pub 2010. PMID: 21132391.
- Shi Q, You YN, Nelson H, Allen MS, Winchester D, Stewart A, Young-Fadok T, Decker PA, Green EM, Holton SJ, Ballman KV. Cancer registries: a novel alternative to long-term clinical trial follow-up based on results of a comparative study. Clin Trials 7(6):686-95, 2010. e-Pub 2010. PMID: 20729254.
- You YN, Wolff BG, Boardman LA, Riegert-Johnson DL, Qin R. Peutz-Jeghers syndrome: a study of long-term surgical morbidity and causes of mortality. Fam Cancer 9(4):609-16, 2010. PMID: 20571886.
- You YN, Chua HK, Nelson H, Hassan I, Barnes SA, Harrington J. Segmental vs. extended colectomy: measurable differences in morbidity, function, and quality of life. Dis Colon Rectum 51(7):1036-43, 2008. e-Pub 2008. PMID: 18470560.
- Hassan I, You YN, Cima RR, Larson DW, Dozois EJ, Barnes SA, Pemberton JH. Hand-assisted versus laparoscopic-assisted colorectal surgery: Practice patterns and clinical outcomes in a minimally-invasive colorectal practice. Surg Endosc 22(3):739-43, 2008. PMID: 17704883.
- You YN, Thompson GB, Young WF, Larson D, Farley DR, Richards M, Grant CS. Pancreatoduodenal surgery in patients with multiple endocrine neoplasia type 1: Operative outcomes, long-term function, and quality of life. Surgery 142(6):829-36; discussion 836.e1, 2007. PMID: 18063064.
- You YN, Baxter NN, Stewart A, Nelson H. Is the increasing rate of local excision for stage I rectal cancer in the United States justified?: a nationwide cohort study from the National Cancer Database. Ann Surg 245(5):726-33, 2007. PMID: 17457165.
- Hassan I, Pemberton JH, Young-Fadok TM, You YN, Drelichman ER, Rath-Harvey D, Schleck CD, Larson DR. Ileorectal anastomosis for slow transit constipation: long-term functional and quality of life results. J Gastrointest Surg 10(10):1330-6; discussion 1336-7, 2006. PMID: 17175451.
- You YN, Jacobs L, Martinez ED, Budinger SC, Wittlief EJ, Myles SK, Ota DM, American College of Surgeons Oncology Group. Improved surgeon performance in clinical trials: an analysis of quality assurance audits from the American College of Surgeons Oncology Group. J Am Coll Surg 203(3):269-76, 2006. e-Pub 2006. PMID: 16931297.
- Hassan I, You YN, Dozois EJ, Shayyan R, Smyrk TC, Okuno SH, Donohue JH. Clinical, pathologic, and immunohistochemical characteristics of gastrointestinal stromal tumors of the colon and rectum: implications for surgical management and adjuvant therapies. Dis Colon Rectum 49(5):609-15, 2006. PMID: 16552495.
- You YN, Tefferi A, Nagorney DM. Outcome of splenectomy for thrombocytopenia associated with systemic lupus erythematosus. Ann Surg 240(2):286-92, 2004. PMID: 15273553.
- Der DE, You YQ, Wolter TD, Bowen DA, Dale LC. A free smoking intervention clinic initiated by medical students. Mayo Clin Proc 76(2):144-51, 2001. PMID: 11213302.
- George TJ, Wu C, You YN. NRG GI002: Moving the needle toward TNT in locally advanced rectal cancer. Bull Am Coll Surg 101(10):61-2, 2016. PMID: 28937723.
- Kurtzman SH, Boughey JC, You YN. Why is surgeon qualification important for clinical trials, and how can it be achieved?. Bull Am Coll Surg 101(9):51-2, 2016. PMID: 28941372.
- You YN. Local excision: is it an adequate substitute for radical resection in T1/T2 patients?. Semin Radiat Oncol 21(3):178-84, 2011. PMID: 21645862.
- You YN, Ota D, Nelson H. The American College of Surgeons Oncology Group. Surgery 145(6):587-90, 2009. e-Pub 2009. PMID: 19486756.
- You YN, Lakhani VT, Wells SA. The role of prophylactic surgery in cancer prevention. World J Surg 31(3):450-64, 2007. PMID: 17308850.
- You YN Ostomy. American Society of Colon and Rectal Surgeons Patient Education Brochure, 2013.
- You YN, Vilar E. Classifying MMR variants: time for revised nomenclature in Lynch syndrome. Clin Cancer Res 19(9):2280-2, 2013. PMID: 23532885.
- You YN, Kalady M.. Hereditary Colorectal Cancer Syndromes. In: The American Society of Colorectal Surgeons Textbook of Colorectal Surgery. Springer: New York, 2016.
- Bailey CE, Vilar Sanchez E, You YN. Adjuvant and neoadjuvant management of cancer of the colon and rectum. In: American College of Surgeons Textbook of Surgery. 6th. Decker Intellectual Properties, Inc: Hamilton, Ontario, 6-14, 2014.
Grant & Contract Support
|Title:||Long-Term Survivorship and Quality of Care in Young Adults with Colorectal Cancer|
|Funding Source:||University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center - Institutional Research Grant|
|Title:||Developing Quality Measures for Survivorship Care in Colorectal Cancer|
|Funding Source:||University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center - Duncan Family Foundation Cancer Survivorship Research Grant|
|Title:||Is Young-onset Microsatellite-Stable Colorectal Cancer Unique? Defining Phenotypic and Genotypic Features|
|Funding Source:||University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center - G.S. Hogan Gastrointestinal Research Fund|
|Title:||Clinical Impact of Multi-gene Sequencing Panels Among Young Adults with Colorectal Cancer|
|Funding Source:||University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Clinical Innovator Award|
|Title:||Deciphering Unexplained Heredity Among Young Adults With Colorectal Cancer|
|Funding Source:||University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center Sister Institution Network Fund (SINF)|