About Dr. Wang
Prior to joining University of Texas M.D. Anderson Cancer Center (MDACC), Dr. Wang had 8 years of experience from a tertiary IBD practice at Cleveland Clinic taking care of patients with Crohn’s Disease, and Ulcerative Colitis with or without serious complications. In addition, Dr. Wang had 2 years of clinic experience doing FMT for recurrent C diff infection at Cleveland Clinic with eradication rate of over 95%.
At MDACC, Dr. Wang is currently participating a clinical trial with Infectious Disease and Cancer Prevention Group investigating the role of STAT3 in IBD patients who are high risk population for colon cancer. Qualified IBD patients will be screened and offered the opportunity of participating in this trial.
Meanwhile, Dr. Wang is offering the FMT treatment for the same indication at MDACC. FMT has become standard of care for recurrent C Diff infection given its high success rate compared to 30-40% from medical treatments based on the current ACG practice guideline. She is also actively involved in multiple research projects in collaboration with Oncology, and Stem Cell Transplant group at MD Anderson to explore the possibility of doing FMT as a novel treatment option for melanoma, immunotherapy-induced colitis, Graft-vs-Host disease for leukemia patients post stem cell transplantation.
Assistant Professor, Department of Gastroenterology, Hepat,& Nutr, Division of Internal Medicine, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
|2005||Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD, USA, PHD, Cellular & Molecular Physiology|
|1999||The University of Calgary, Calgary, CAN, MS, Cardiovascular & Respiratory Sciences|
|2008-2011||Clinical Fellowship, Gastroenterology, Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Cleveland, OH|
|2005-2008||Clinical Residency, Internal Medicine, Albany Medical Center, Albany, NY|
Staff, Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Cleveland, OH, 2011 - 2016
- Mehta PP, Kochhar G, Albeldawi M, Kirsh B, Rizk M, Putka B, John B, Wang Y, Breslaw N, Lopez R, Vargo JJ. Capnographic Monitoring in Routine EGD and Colonoscopy With Moderate Sedation: A Prospective, Randomized, Controlled Trial. Am J Gastroenterol 111(3):395-404, 2016. e-Pub 2016. PMID: 26902229.
- Lai KK, Horvath B, Xie H, Wu X, Lewis BL, Pai RK, Plesec T, Patil DT, Gordon IO, Wang Y, Shen B, Goldblum JR, Liu X. Risk for colorectal neoplasia in patients with inflammatory bowel disease and mucosa indefinite for dysplasia. Inflamm Bowel Dis 21(2):378-84, 2015. PMID: 25569733.
- Xie H, Xiao SY, Pai R, Jiang W, Shadrach B, Carver P, Wang Y, Shen B, Zhou W, Liu X. Diagnostic utility of TP53 and cytokeratin 7 immunohistochemistry in idiopathic inflammatory bowel disease-associated neoplasia. Mod Pathol 27(2):303-13, 2014. e-Pub 2013. PMID: 23887291.
- Wang Y, Atreja A, Wu X, Lashner BA, Brzezinski A, Shen B. Similar outcomes of IBD inpatients with Clostridium difficile infection detected by ELISA or PCR assay. Dig Dis Sci 58(8):2308-13, 2013. e-Pub 2013. PMID: 23525735.
- Wang Y, Gong H, Lopez R, Lian L, Kiran RP, Soffer EE, Shen B. Correlation between serum serotonin and endoscopy inflammation scores in patients with ileal pouches. J Crohns Colitis 7(4):e133-42, 2013. e-Pub 2012. PMID: 22922006.
- Wang Y, Lee H, Shen B. Systemic secondary amyloidosis in a 70-year-old patient with Crohn's disease: treatment with oral budesonide. Inflamm Bowel Dis 19(5):E74-5, 2013. PMID: 23478807.
- Wang Y, Bennett AE, Cai H, Lian L, Shen B. Evaluation of upper and lower gastrointestinal histology in patients with ileal pouches. J Gastrointest Surg 16(3):572-80, 2012. e-Pub 2011. PMID: 22052108.
- Wang Y, Shen B. Clostridium difficile-associated diarrhea in Crohn's disease patients with ostomy. Inflamm Bowel Dis 16(1):1-2, 2010. PMID: 19408324.
- Cai H, Cebotaru V, Wang YH, Zhang XM, Cebotaru L, Guggino SE, Guggino WB. WNK4 kinase regulates surface expression of the human sodium chloride cotransporter in mammalian cells. Kidney Int 69(12):2162-70, 2006. e-Pub 2006. PMID: 16688122.
- Wang Y, Cai H, Cebotaru L, Hryciw DH, Weinman EJ, Donowitz M, Guggino SE, Guggino WB. ClC-5: role in endocytosis in the proximal tubule. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol 289(4):F850-62, 2005. e-Pub 2005. PMID: 15942052.
- Hara-Chikuma M, Wang Y, Guggino SE, Guggino WB, Verkman AS. Impaired acidification in early endosomes of ClC-5 deficient proximal tubule. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 329(3):941-6, 2005. PMID: 15752747.
- Hryciw DH, Wang Y, Devuyst O, Pollock CA, Poronnik P, Guggino WB. Cofilin interacts with ClC-5 and regulates albumin uptake in proximal tubule cell lines. J Biol Chem 278(41):40169-76, 2003. e-Pub 2003. PMID: 12904289.
- Fewell JE, Smith FG, Ng VK, Wong VH, Wang Y. Postnatal age influences the ability of rats to autoresuscitate from hypoxic-induced apnea. Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 279(1):R39-46, 2000. PMID: 10896862.
- Wang Y, Aggarwal P, Liu X, Lu H, Lian L, Wu X, Guo S, Aggarwal N, Lashner B, Shen B. Antiviral Treatment for Colonic Cytomegalovirus Infection in Ulcerative Colitis Patients Significantly Improved Their Surgery Free Survival. J Clin Gastroenterol. e-Pub 2016. PMID: 27875354.
- Wang Y, Shen B. Fecal Microbiota Transplantation in Refractory Clostridium Difficile Pouchitis. Crohn's and Colitis Foundation Association, Orlando, FL, 2015.
- Cummings D, Lopez R, Roggenbuck D, Wang Y, Shen B, Rieder F. Serum Anti-GP2 Antibody Isoforms 1 and 4 are Associated with Crohn's Disease of the Pouch in Patients with Ileal-Pouch Anal Anastomosis (IPAA). ACG, Honolulu, HI, 2015.
- Mehta PP, Kochhar G, Albeldawi M, Kirsh B, Rizk M, Putka B, John B, Wang Y, Breslaw N, Lopez R, Vargo JJ. Capnographic Monitoring Does Not Improve Detection of Hypoxemia in Colonoscopy with Moderate Sedation. A Randomized, Controlled Trial. ACG, Philadelphia, PA, 2014.
- Wang Y, Liu X, Lu H, Guo S, Lashner B, Shen B. Treatment for CMV Infection in UC Patients Significantly Decreased the Colectomy Rate. Crohn's and Colitis Foundation Association, Orlando, FL, 2014.
- Asava-aree C, Mu E, Patel V, Feng J, Lian L, Achkar JP, Lashner B, Shen B, Wang Y. CMV Treatment Does Not Improve Clinical Outcomes in IBD Inpatients with CMV Colitis. ACG, San Diego, CA, 2013.
- Wang Y, Bennett AE, Lopez R, Shen B. Endoscopy Alone Is Sufficient for Pouch Disease Activity Monitoring and Prediction of Pouch Outcomes. ACG, San Diego, CA, 2013.
- Wang F, Wang Y. Sclerosing Mesenteritis in a 50-Year-Old Male Successfully Treated with Tamoxifen. ACP, Northern Illinois Regional, Chicago, IL, 2013.
- Lai KK, Wang Y, Zie H, Shen B, Goldblum JR, Lewis BL, Liu X. Clinical Outcome after the Diagnosis of Indefinite for Dysplasia in Patients with Idiopathic Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD). United States & Canadian Academy of Pathology, Baltimore, MD, 2013.
- Xie H, X SY, Pai R, Lai K, Wang Y, Shen B, Liu X. Diagnostic Utility of p53 and Cytokeratin 7 Immunohistochemistry in Idiopathic Inflammatory Bowel Disease-Associated Neoplasia. United States & Canadian Academy of Pathology, Baltimore, MD, 2013.
- Mu E, Wu X, Atreja A, Feng J, Shen B, Lashner B, Wang Y. Analysis of Prevalence and Risk Factors for Active Disease of Crohn's Patients for Acute Exacerbation Symptoms. ACG, Las Vegas, NV, 2012.
- Wang F, Jiang W, Pai R, Downs-Kelly E, Wang Y. Helicobacter Heilmannii Infection in A 43-Year-Old Female Effectively Treated with the Standard Triple Therapy. ACP, Chicago, IL, 2012.
- Wang Y, Lee H, Shen B. Secondary Amyloidosis in a 70-Year-Old Patient with Crohn's Disease: Treatment with Oral Budesonide. ACG, Las Vegas, NV, 2012.
- Zhang C, Drazba J, Hatala D, Wang Y, Shen B. A Pilot Study: Development of A Novel Immunostaining Marker for Autoimmune Pouchitis. ACG, Washington, DC, 2011.
- Wang Y, Gong H, Lopez R, Soffer E, Shen B. Correlation between Serum Serotonin and Symptom and Endoscopy Inflammation Scores in Patients with Ileal Pouches. Digestive Disease Week, Chicago, IL, 2011.
- Wang Y, Bennett AE, Cai H, Shen B. Clinical Utility of Duodenal Histology in Diagnosis and Differential Diagnosis of Pouch Disorders. ACG, San Diego, CA, 2009.
- Wang Y, Cai H, Shen B. Clinical Utility of Mucosal Healing in Patients with Pouchitis. ACG, San Diego, CA, 2009.