About Dr. Wu
I am a breast/surgical oncologic pathologist at MD Anderson Cancer Center with 18 years of clinical experience. I have interest and expertise in various neoplasms of the breast, particularly rare tumors, and have contributed to multiple book chapters in these areas. I am also a contributor to the WHO Classification of Breast Tumors.
I am committed to high quality pathology service and work closely with our breast surgical and medical oncology colleagues to provide exemplary patient care in a multidisciplinary setting. In addition to my medical degree, I also received a PhD degree in Molecular Pathology from UT Health Science Center at MD Anderson Cancer Center. I have been actively involved in basic science, translational and clinical research studies, both independent and collaborative, which have resulted in many publications in high impact journals. I have presented my clinical and research experience in Breast Pathology at multiple national and international conferences.
|1999||The University of Texas Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, USA, PHD, Molecular Pathology|
|1991||Shanghai Medical University, Shanghai, CHN, MD, unknown|
|2003-2004||Oncologic Pathology Fellowship, Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center, New York, NY|
|1999-2003||Residency, Anatomic & Clinical Pathology, The University of Texas, Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas, Dallas, TX|
|1991-1992||Residency, Anatomic Pathology, Shanghai Medical University, Shanghai|
|2003||American Board of Pathology (Anatomic and Clinical Pathology)|
|1998||American Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG)|
Associate Professor, Term Tenured, Department of Pathology/Laboratory Medicine, Division of Pathology/Lab Medicine, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2011 - 2017
Assistant Professor, Tenure Track, Department of Pathology, Division of Pathology/Lab Medicine, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2004 - 2011
Project Investigator, Department of Translational Molecular Pathology, Division of Pathology/Lab Medicine, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 1996 - 1998
Institutional Committee Activities
Member, Breast Serum/Plasma/DNA Bank Oversight Committee, 2007 - 2014
- Huo L, Gong Y, Guo M, Gilcrease MZ, Wu Y, Zhang H, Zhang J, Resetkova E, Hunt KK, Deavers MT. GATA-3 enhances the utility of gross cystic disease fluid protein-15 and mammaglobin A in triple-negative breast cancer by immunohistochemistry. Histopathology 67(2):245-54, 2015. e-Pub 2015. PMID: 25564996.
- Hsu YH, Yao J, Chan LC, Wu TJ, Hsu JL, Fang YF, Wei Y, Wu Y, Huang WC, Liu CL, Chang YC, Wang MY, Li CW, Shen J, Chen MK, Sahin AA, Sood A, Mills GB, Yu D, Hortobagyi GN, Hung MC. Definition of PKC-α, CDK6, and MET as Therapeutic Targets in Triple-Negative Breast Cancer. Cancer Res 74(17):4822-35, 2014. e-Pub 2014. PMID: 24970481.
- Xiang DB, Wei B, Abraham SC, Huo L, Albarracin CT, Zhang H, Babiera G, Caudle AS, Akay CL, Rao P, Zhao YJ, Lu X, Wu Y. Molecular cytogenetic characterization of mammary neuroendocrine carcinoma. Hum Pathol 45(9):1951-6, 2014. e-Pub 2014. PMID: 25074542.
- Park YM, Wu Y, Wei W, Yang WT. Primary neuroendocrine carcinoma of the breast: clinical, imaging, and histologic features. AJR Am J Roentgenol 203(2):W221-30, 2014. PMID: 25055297.
- Dokmanovic M, Wu Y, Shen Y, Chen J, Hirsch DS, Wu WJ. Trastuzumab-induced recruitment of Csk-homologous kinase (CHK) to ErbB2 receptor is associated with ErbB2-Y1248 phosphorylation and ErbB2 degradation to mediate cell growth inhibition. Cancer Biol Ther 15(8):1029-41, 2014. e-Pub 2014. PMID: 24835103.
- Mittendorf EA, Philips AV, Meric-Bernstam F, Qiao N, Wu Y, Harrington S, Su X, Wang Y, Gonzalez-Angulo AM, Akcakanat A, Chawla A, Curran M, Hwu P, Sharma P, Litton JK, Molldrem JJ, Alatrash G. PD-L1 Expression in Triple Negative Breast Cancer. Cancer Immunol Res 2(4):361-70, 2014. e-Pub 2014. PMID: 24764583.
- Wang J, Mittendorf EA, Sahin AA, Yi M, Caudle A, Hunt KK, Wu Y. Outcomes of Sentinel Lymph Node Dissection Alone vs. Axillary Lymph Node Dissection in Early Stage Invasive Lobular Carcinoma: A Retrospective Study of the Surveillance, Epidemiology and End Results (SEER) Database. PLoS One 9(2):e89778, 2014. e-Pub 2014. PMID: 24587029.
- Wang J, Wei B, Albarracin CT, Hu J, Abraham SC, Wu Y. Invasive neuroendocrine carcinoma of the breast: a population-based study from the surveillance, epidemiology and end results (SEER) database. BMC Cancer 14:147, 2014. e-Pub 2014. PMID: 24589259.
- Vasan N, Yelensky R, Wang K, Moulder S, Dzimitrowicz H, Avritscher R, Wang B, Wu Y, Cronin MT, Palmer G, Symmans WF, Miller VA, Stephens P, Pusztai L. A targeted next-generation sequencing assay detects a high frequency of therapeutically targetable alterations in primary and metastatic breast cancers: implications for clinical practice. Oncologist 19(5):453-8, 2014. e-Pub 2014. PMID: 24710307.
- Parinyanitikul N, Blumenschein GR, Wu Y, Lei X, Chavez-Macgregor M, Smart M, Gonzalez-Angulo AM. Mesothelin Expression and Survival Outcomes in Triple Receptor Negative Breast Cancer. Clin Breast Cancer 13(5):378-84, 2013. e-Pub 2013. PMID: 23810431.
- Chen JQ, Bao Y, Lee J, Murray JL, Litton JK, Xiao L, Zhou R, Wu Y, Shen XY, Zhang H, Sahin AA, Katz RL, Bondy ML, Berinstein NL, Hortobagyi GN, Radvanyi LG. Prognostic value of the trichorhinophalangeal syndrome-1 (TRPS-1), a GATA family transcription factor, in early-stage breast cancer. Ann Oncol 24(10):2534-42, 2013. e-Pub 2013. PMID: 23729783.
- Wang J, Li D, Wang B, Wu Y. Predictive and prognostic significance of cytoplasmic expression of ELAV-like protein HuR in invasive breast cancer treated with neoadjuvant chemotherapy. Breast Cancer Res Treat 141(2):213-24, 2013. e-Pub 2013. PMID: 24036660.
- Shen J, Xia W, Khotskaya YB, Huo L, Nakanishi K, Lim SO, Du Y, Wang Y, Chang WC, Chen CH, Hsu JL, Wu Y, Lam YC, James BP, Liu X, Liu CG, Patel DJ, Hung MC. EGFR modulates microRNA maturation in response to hypoxia through phosphorylation of AGO2. Nature 497(7449):383-387, 2013. e-Pub 2013. PMID: 23636329.
- Wu Y, Mittendorf EA, Kelten C, Tucker SL, Wei W, Middleton LP, Broglio K, Buchholz TA, Hunt KK, Sahin AA. Occult axillary lymph node metastases do not have prognostic significance in early stage breast cancer. Cancer 118(6):1507-14, 2012. e-Pub 2011. PMID: 22009292.
- Lee YS, Gilcrease MZ, Wu Y, Yang W. Myofibroblastoma of the breast: Imaging features. Eur J Radiol 73(1):13-15, 2010.
- Gong Y, Wei W, Wu Y, Ueno NT, Huo L. Expression of androgen receptor in inflammatory breast cancer and its clinical relevance. Cancer. e-Pub 2014. PMID: 24634055.
- Tang F, Wu Y. [Pathologic evaluation of breast cancer specimens after neoadjuvant chemotherapy]. Zhonghua Bing Li Xue Za Zhi 38(1):8-12, 2009. PMID: 19489218.
- Wu Y. Commentary: Intraoperative assessment of breast cancer specimens decreases cost and number of reoperations. Breast Diseases: A Year Book Quarterly 23(1):59-60, 2012.
- Liang Y, Li X, Wang J, Huo L, Albarracin CT,Gong Y, Wu Y. Prognostic Significance of Multifocal Lesion in ER+ Breast Cancers. United States and Canadian Academy of Pathology 2014 Annual Meeting, 2014.
- Le XF, Spizzo R, Mao M, Wu Y, Calin GA, Bast BC Jr.. DNA Cytosine-5-Methyltransferase 3A (DNMT3A) is a Direct Target of miRNA-194 in Breast Cancer Cells. AACR 101st Annual Meeting, Washington DC, 2010.
- Wei B, Tian Z Tang F, Wei W, GIlcrease MZ, Huo L, Abarracin CT, Resetkova E, Middleton LP, Sahin A, Chen J, Abraham SC and Wu Y*. Prognostic Factors of Primary Invasive Mammary Neuroendocrine Carcinoma: Clinicopathologic Analysis of 74 Cases. United States and Canadian Academy of Pathology, The 99th Annual Meeting, Washington DC. Mod Pathol 23(Suppl 1):77A(#336), 2010.
- Leng X, Shui R, Shen L, Baggerly KA, Liu X, Liu C, Sahin A, Abraham SC and Wu Y. High Resolution Analysis of Genome-Wide Copy Number Change in Neuroendocrine Carcinoma of the Breast. United States and Canadian Academy of Pathology, The 99th Annual Meeting, Washington DC. Mod Pathol 23(Suppl 1):425A(#1898), 2010.
- Gullett AE, Prieto VG, Lopez A, Klein K, Arun B, Bedrosian I, Resetkova E, Wu Y, Sneige N, Albarracin CT. Type of Mammary Paget Disease is Associated with Disease Free Survival. United States and Canadian Academy of Pathology, The 99th Annual Meeting, Washington DC. Mod Pathol 23(Suppl 1):115A(#507), 2010.
- Gullett AE, Duan X, Fuller GN, Brown R, Li Y, Luthra R, Wiseman W, Resetkova E, Yao H, Puduvalli V, Wu Y, Bruner J, Albarracin CT. Expression of annexin A1 and constitutive with S phase kinase-associated protein (Spr2) in glioma progression. United States and Canadian Academy, The 98th Annual Meeting, Boston, MA. Mod Pathol 22(Suppl 1):329A(#1492), 2009.
- Ding T, Leng X, Lin H, Lin F, Zen B, Symmans WF, Yan K, Pusztai L, Arlinghaus RB, Wu Y*. Blocking Lipocalin 2 function impairs mammary tumor formation and lung metastasis. United States and Canadian Academy of Pathology, The 98th Annual Meeting, Boston, MA. Mod Pathol 22(Suppl 1):338A(#1533), 2009.
- Liedtke C, Yan K, Wu Y, Hortobagyi GN, Symmans WF, Valero V, Gotte M, Kiesel L, Pusztai L. Targeting of breast cancer with non-oncology drugs-possible novel therapeutic option for triple-negative breast cancer. San Antonio Breast Cancer Symposium 30th Annual Meeting, 2008.
- Mittendorf EA, Esteva FJ, Meric-Bernstam F, Hunt KK, Wu Y, Buzdar A, Dawood S, Hortobagyi GN, Gonzalez-Angulo AM. Determination of HER2 status in patients achieving less than a pCR following neoadjuvant therapy with combination chemotherapy plus Trastuzumab. American Society of Clinical Oncology, 2008.
- Downs-Kelly E, Nayeemuddin KM, Albarracin C, Wu Y, Hunt KK, Gilcrease MZ. Matrix-producing carcinoma of the breast: clinicopathologic features associated with locoregional recurrence and survival. United States and Canadian Academy of Pathology, The 97th Annual Meeting, Denver, CO. Mod Pathol 21(Suppl 1):29A(#120), 2008.
- Tang F, Gilcrease MZ, Albarracin CT, Huo L, Middleton LP, Resetkova E, Wu Y*. Invasive solid papillary carcinoma of the breast: a clinicopathologic analysis of 52 cases. United States and Canadian Academy of Pathology, The 97th Annual Meeting, Denver, CO. Mod Pathol 21(Suppl 1):56A(#248), 2008.
- Khalifeh I, Albarracin CT, Wu Y, Sneige N. Clinical, histopathologic, and biologic/molecular features of microglandular adenosis with transitions into in-situ and invasive carcinoma. United States and Canadian Academy of Pathology, The 96th Annual Meeting, San Diego, CA. Mod Pathol 20(Suppl 2):38A(#152), 2007.
- Nicolas MM, Wu Y, Middleton LP, Gilcrease MZ. Loss of myoepithelium and laminin at the tumor-stromal interface in circumscribed solid papillary carcinoma of the breast. United States and Canadian Academy of Pathology, The 96th Annual Meeting, San Diego, CA. Mod Pathol 20(Suppl 2):43A(#176), 2007.
- Liao Y , Wu Y, Ping B, Wei Y, Donehower LA, Hung MC. Chemosensitization by targeting a protein phosphatase in human cancer cells. The 18th EORTC-NCI-AACR Symposium on Molecular Targets and Cancer. Therapeutics. Prague, Czech Republic, 2006.
- Edelweiss M, Rosen DG, Garcia MKP, Wu Y, Liu J, Albarracin C.. Estrogen and androgen receptors expression in primary breast carcinoma, axillary lymph node metastasis and distant metastasis. The Endocrine Society’s 88th Annual Meeting, Boston, MA, 2006.
- Lin H, Anderson K, Rouzier R, Gong Y, Pusztai L, Symmans WF, Arlinghaus RB, Wu Y. Neutrophil gelatinase-associated lipocalin (NGAL) is highly associated with HER2+/ER-breast cancers and is a downstream effector of P13/AKT pathway. United States and Canadian Academy of Pathology, The 95th Annual Meeting, Atlanta, GA. Mod Pathol 19(Suppl 1):33A(#139), 2006.
- Gullet AE, Fuller GN, Wu Y, Bruner JM, Albarracin CT.. Increased annexin A1 expression in high-grade diffuse gliomas: a potential prognostic marker. United States and Canadian Academy of Pathology, The 95th Annual Meeting, Atlanta, GA. Mod Pathol 19(Suppl 1):285A(#1325), 2006.
- Huo L, Wu Y, Meric-Bernstam F, Sahin AA.. Morphologic features of ipsilateral recurrent breast cancers in patients treated with breast conserving therapy (BCT). United States and Canadian Academy of Pathology, The 94th annual meeting, San Antonio, TX. Mod Pathol 18(Suppl 1):36A(#153), 2005.
- Huo L, Wu Y, Meric-Bernstam F, Sahin AA. Morphologic features of ipsilateral recurrent breast cancers in patients treated with breast conserving therapy (BCT). United States and Canadian Academy of Pathology, The 94th Annual Meeting, San Antonio, TX, 2005.
- Wu Y and Sahin AA. Molecular Classification and Testing of Breast Carcinoma. In: Rosen's Breast Pathology. 4th. Lippincott, Williams & Wilkins: Philadelphia, PA, 2014.
- Wu Y. Pathologic Evaluation of Invasive Breast Cancer. In: Advanced Therapy of Breast Disease. 3rd. People’s Medical Publishing House, 2012.
Letters to the Editor
- Albarracin C, Edgerton ME, Gilcrease MZ, Huo L, Krishnamurthy S, Middleton LP, Resetkova E, Sahin AA, Sneige N, Fraser WS, Wu Y. Is it too soon to start reporting HER2 genetic heterogeneity?. Arch Pathol Lab Med 134: 162-3, 2010.
|Title:||Interfering Breast Cancer Metastasis by Blocking NGAL Function|
|Funding Source:||Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation|
|Title:||Interfering Breast Cancer Metastasis by Blocking NGAL Function|
|Funding Source:||DOD/Congressionally Directed Medical Research Programs (DOD/CDMRP)|