About Dr. Liao
Dr. Liao's research activities aim to improve the therapeutic ratio of radiotherapy for thoracic malignancies through translational research. Specifically, her efforts focus on personalizing chemoradiotherapy for lung cancer by reducing treatment-related toxicity, and increasing cancer cure rates by using predictive biomarker strategies and advanced radiation delivery technology. She has continued her leadership role in conducting practice-changing clinical trials locally and nationally.
Dr. Liao's five most significant contributions in research include the following:
Successfully designed, led, and completed the first of the kind prospective randomized trial comparing IMRT and proton therapy for lung cancer. Dr. Liao is Principal Investigator of the first prospective randomized NCI PO1 funded multi-institutional trial “ A Bayesian Randomized trial of Image-Guided Adaptive Conformal Photon vs Proton Therapy, with Concurrent Chemotherapy, for Locally Advanced Non-Small Cell Lung Carcinoma: Treatment-Related Pneumonitis and Locoregional Recurrence ( NCT00915005)”. This clinical protocol compared proton and photon therapy for a “hard to treat” cancer. This protocol was critical in securing funding for her program project grant 2-P01CA021239, “Optimizing Proton Therapy,” PI Thomas Delaney; 9/25/2008−7/31/2013; $8,734,885 ($1,775,617/year). The hypothesis of this trial was based on the research findings from item 2 below, that the unique dosimetric characteristics of proton beams will reduce the dose and volume of the normal lung to radiation, hence further decreasing treatment-related lung toxicity. This protocol met the enrollment goal on 3/2014, and the first result was reported on 2016 ASCO meeting as a plenary presentation and included in the 2016 Best of ASCO. The manuscript was first submitted to the Lancet Journal with recommended transfer to the Lancet Respiratory Medicine, which she declined. The final version of the manuscript was resubmitted to JCO.
Translational research on secondary analyses on the data accumulated from protocol NCT00915005. This trial contributed greatly to the understanding of proton therapy and produced much valuable data. Dr. Liao worked with collaborators and was able to secure funding for a U19 ( 2U19CA021239-35, NIH/NCI, PI - Radhe Mohan, 9/25/2014-8/31/2018, $1,925,520 ($385,104/year) ), and a CPRIT ( RP160232, PI - Dragan Mirkovic/Pablo Yepes, 3/1/2016-2/28/2019, $835,395 ($275,114/year)) grant to perform secondary analyses on the data accumulated from this trial. Given the rapid proliferation of proton therapy facilities worldwide despite the lack of level I evidence of its effectiveness in lung cancer, Dr. Liao believes that the results are potentially practice-changing. She expects that results from ongoing analyses of secondary objectives including imaging, patient-reported outcomes, blood biomarkers, and cost effectiveness will considerably advance the state of the art in proton therapy, as will ongoing translational research to correlate biological and physical factors affecting response to protons vs. photons and radiation physics studies to assess the influence of uncertainties on proton therapy.
Established a bio-specimen repositories for biomarker research and facilitate translational research. This research effort is an expansion of the clinical trial as one of the secondary objectives and two protocols (Protocol Lab 2009-0307, PA13-0786). The aim is to identify predictive biomarkers for treatment outcome and to help select patients for the most effective treatment. The collected biospecimen including blood, plasma, serum, genome DNA, urine, and saliva are a rich resource for correlative studies to facilitate extramural funding. One example is that, using the blood samples from this study, combined with the clinical and radiation therapy dosimetric data, Dr. Liao is able to spearhead a research effort to study cardiac injury after chemoradiation for lung cancer. In the scope of the work, she has established research contract with ROCHE to use their high sensitive Cardiac Troponin kits to obtain preliminary data for extramural funding. Dr. Liao's R21 grant (1R21 CA222749-01) is entitled “Proton therapy to reduce heart damage for lung cancer patients”. Under the umbrellas of biomarker study and the infrastructure that she created, the thoracic service has accumulated a significant amount of biospecimen and clinical data on patients received concurrent chemoradiation treatment in the department of Radiation Oncology. The collaborative research effort has been expanded nationally and internationally with MGH, MAASTRO.
Becoming a national leader in clinical trials on proton therapy. Proton therapy is more costly than even the best currently available photon technology, and evidence demonstrating clinical benefit is increasingly demanded to justify the financial burden on the healthcare system. However, randomized trials comparing outcomes between different treatment technologies are practically non-existent, and trials of protons vs. photons are no exception. To establish level 1 evidence for proton therapy, we worked with the leadership of Corporate group RTOG (now NRG) and institutions and hospitals with proton facilities (total 15 now and the number continues to increase) and developed RTOG 1308, a “Phase III Randomized Trial Comparing Overall Survival after Photon versus Proton Radiochemotherapy for Inoperable Stage II-IIIB NSCLC”. This protocol was funded through CTEP. She serves as the Principle Investigator for this historical protocol in the history of particle therapy for thoracic malignancies. This trial has been active since 2014, and a total of 99 patients have been recruited to this trial. This phase III trial is probably the only opportunity for radiation oncology community to compare the survival after photons and protons chemoradiation for lung cancer patients.
Continuing her efforts in research of technological advancement including proton, Dr. Liao is leading another Randomized Phase I/II trial of image-guided, intensity-modulated photon (IMRT) or scanning beam proton therapy (IMPT) both with simultaneous integrated boost (SIB) dose escalation to the gross tumor volume (GTV) with concurrent chemotherapy for stage II/III non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC) (MDA protocol: 2011-1058). This protocol use a novel radiation therapy technique called simultaneous integrated boost, which will delivery differential higher doses to tumor and lower dose to normal structure. This trial is significant because it is the only protocol that assess the impact of intensity modulated radiation therapy using either photon or protons, whereas the all the previous trials compared 3D Conformal proton with intensity modulated photons. She has completed the phase I portion and currently on phase II portion of this trial.
Expanded research collaborations with imaging, symptom research, and behavior science.
Dr. Liao has continued a long term collaboration with the symptom research department in the institution and was a Co-Principal Investigator on an R21 grant that investigated correlation of inflammatory cytokines and symptom burden in lung cancer patients who underwent chemoradiation. The final result has been published in the Journal of Clinical Oncology. The institution was awarded an RO1 grant entitled “ Reducing the symptom burden produced by aggressive cancer therapies", 5 R01 CA026582-31, NIH/NCI, PI - Charles Cleeland, 5/1/2013-4/30/2015”. $424,012 ($84,800/year). We are the first group reporting decreased symptom burden in patients treated with proton radiation compared with those treated with IMRT or 3D CRT.
- Dr. Liao has always been interested in imaging biomarker. She has received sister institution network finding for a project “Diffusion-weighted magnetic resonance imaging for early response assessment of neoadjuvant chemoradiation for squamouse cell carcinoma of the esophagus, Sister Institution Network Fund Application, UTMDACC, 1/1/2015-12/31/2016, $99,998 ($49,999/year)”. This project is a collaborative effort with 3 institutions in China and MD Anderson Cancer Center, and this project is ongoing.
- Dr. Liao is the institutional PI for another innovative project “A Randomized Trial of Incentives for Research Participation, (1R01CA197332-01, NIH/NCI, PI - Scott D. Halpern, 7/1/2015-6/30/2020, $288,642, ($67,841/year)). This clinical trial is built upon the population of RTOG 1308m to address the question if financial incentives impacts on patient participation of clinical trial. This project is currently ongoing as well.
Dr. Liao's translational and clinical research activities have been highly productive, as evidenced in her CV by publications in highly respected peer-reviewed scientific journals, by invitations to write review articles, and by invitations to national and international meetings as keynote or panel speakers. She has accumulated rich experience and knowledge, developed leadership skills and effectiveness to conduct critical research projects and corporate trials. Dr. Liao anticipates that her research will continue its success as many completed projects mature with results presented to and accepted by the international scientific community, and ongoing projects progress smoothly.
Professor, Department of Radiation Oncology, Division of Radiation Oncology, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
|1982||Hunan Medical University, Changsha, CHN, MD, Medicine|
|2015-2015||Executive Education Course:Strategy for Value-Based Healthcare Delivery, Strategy for Value-Based Healthcare Delivery, Rice University, Texas Medical Center, Houston, TX|
|2015-2015||Clinical Safety and Effectiveness Program, University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX|
|2012-2012||Faculty Development, Beyond the CV: Behavioral Interviewing of Faculty Candidates, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX|
|2007-2008||Faculty Leadership Academy, Faculty Leadership Academy, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX|
|1995-1999||Clinical Residency, Radiation Oncology, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX|
|1994-1995||Clinical Internship, Internal Medicine, The University of Kansas School of Medicine-Wichita, Wichita, KS|
|1993-1994||Clinical Fellowship, Radiation Oncology, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX|
|1989-1993||Research Fellowship, Experimental Radiation Oncology, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX|
|1999||American Board of Radiology - Radiation Oncology|
Medical Director, Department of Radiation Oncology, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2007 - 2016
Institutional Committee Activities
Member, Data Safety Monitoring Board, 2008 - 2010
Member, MDACC/HCHD Quarterly Administrative/Medical Advisory Committee, 2007 - 2009
Member, The Executive Committee for Medical Staff, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, 2007 - Present
Member, Uncompensated Care Advisory Committee, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, 2007 - 2009
Member, Harris County Health District (HCHD/MDACC) Joint Operation Committee, 2007 - 2010
Member, IRB Data Safety Monitoring Committee, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, 2005 - 2008
Member, Steering Committee for China, Extramural Program, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, 2004 - Present
Member, Asia Task Force, Extramural Program, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, 1999 - Present
|2011||The Marie Sklodowska-Curie Award-American Association for Women Radiologists, American Association for Women Radiologists|
|2007||Outstanding International Collaboration Award, Chinese Society of Therapeutic Radiology and Oncology|
|2007||Outstanding Contribution to Radiation Oncology Education for China Award, Chinese Society of Therapeutic Radiology and Oncology|
- Zhang Y, Lin Q, Xu T, Deng W, Yu J, Liao Z, Yue J. Out of the darkness and into the light: New strategies for improving treatments for locally advanced non-small cell lung cancer. Cancer Lett 421:59-62, 2018. e-Pub 2018. PMID: 29425685.
- Ho JC, Nguyen QN, Li H, Allen PK, Zhang X, Liao Z, Zhu XR, Gomez D, Lin SH, Gillin M, Komaki R, Hahn S, Chang JY. Reirradiation of thoracic cancers with intensity modulated proton therapy. Pract Radiat Oncol 8(1):58-65, 2018. e-Pub 2017. PMID: 28867546.
- Hong J, Liao Z, Zhuang Y, Levy LB, Sheu T, Heymach JV, Nguyen QN, Xu T, Komaki R, Gomez DR. Prognostic Factors as a Function of Disease-free Interval After Definitive (Chemo)radiation for Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer Using Conditional Survival Analysis. Am J Clin Oncol 41(1):46-52, 2018. PMID: 26535988.
- Milbury K, Tsao AS, Liao Z, Owns A, Engle R, Gonzalez EA, Bruera E, Cohen L. A research protocol for a pilot randomized controlled trial designed to examine the feasibility of a couple-based mind-body intervention for patients with metastatic lung cancer and their partners. Pilot Feasibility Stud 4:37, 2018. e-Pub 2018. PMID: 29416870.
- Blum Murphy M, Xiao L, Patel VR, Maru DM, Correa AM, G Amlashi F, Liao Z, Komaki R, Lin SH, Skinner HD, Vaporciyan A, Walsh GL, Swisher SG, Sepesi B, Lee JH, Bhutani MS, Weston B, Hofstetter WL, Ajani JA. Pathological complete response in patients with esophageal cancer after the trimodality approach: The association with baseline variables and survival-The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center experience. Cancer 123(21):4106-4113, 2017. e-Pub 2017. PMID: 28885712.
- Xi M, Liao Z, Hofstetter WL, Komaki R, Ho L, Lin SH. FDG-PET Response After Induction Chemotherapy Can Predict Who Will Benefit From Subsequent Esophagectomy After Chemoradiotherapy for Esophageal Adenocarcinoma. J Nucl Med 58(11):1756-1763, 2017. e-Pub 2017. PMID: 28522744.
- Xi M, Liao Z, Deng W, Komaki R, Ho L, Lin SH. Recursive Partitioning Analysis Identifies Pretreatment Risk Groups for the Utility of Induction Chemotherapy Before Definitive Chemoradiation Therapy in Esophageal Cancer. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 99(2):407-416, 2017. e-Pub 2017. PMID: 28871991.
- Adams DL, Adams DK, He J, Kalhor N, Zhang M, Xu T, Gao H, Reuben JM, Qiao Y, Komaki R, Liao Z, Edelman MJ, Tang CM, Lin SH. Sequential Tracking of PD-L1 Expression and RAD50 Induction in Circulating Tumor and Stromal Cells of Lung Cancer Patients Undergoing Radiotherapy. Clin Cancer Res 23(19):5948-5958, 2017. e-Pub 2017. PMID: 28679765.
- Ning MS, Tang L, Gomez DR, Xu T, Luo Y, Huo J, Mouhayar E, Liao Z. Incidence and Predictors of Pericardial Effusion After Chemoradiation Therapy for Locally Advanced Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 99(1):70-79, 2017. e-Pub 2017. PMID: 28816165.
- Xi M, Xu C, Liao Z, Hofstetter WL, Blum Murphy M, Maru DM, Bhutani MS, Lee JH, Weston B, Komaki R, Lin SH.. The impact of histology on recurrence patterns in esophageal cancer treated with definitive chemoradiotherapy. Radiother Oncol 124(2):318-324, 2017. e-Pub 2017. PMID: 28687396.
- Milbury K, Kavanagh A, Meng Z, Chen Z, Chandwani KD, Garcia K, Perkins GH, McQuade J, Raghuram NV, Nagarathna R, Liao Z, Nagendra HR, Chen J, Guo X, Liu L, Arun B, Cohen L. Depressive symptoms and positive affect in Chinese and United States breast cancer survivors: a cross-cultural comparison. Support Care Cancer 25(7):2103-2109, 2017. e-Pub 2017. PMID: 28233122.
- Brooks ED, Sun B, Zhao L, Komaki R, Liao Z, Jeter M, Welsh JW, O'Reilly MS, Gomez DR, Hahn SM, Heymach JV, Rice DC, Chang JY. Stereotactic Ablative Radiation Therapy is Highly Safe and Effective for Elderly Patients With Early-stage Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 98(4):900-907, 2017. e-Pub 2016. PMID: 28258887.
- Lester SC, Lin SH, Chuong M, Bhooshan N, Liao Z, Arnett AL, James SE, Evans JD, Spears GM, Komaki R, Haddock MG, Mehta MP, Hallemeier CL, Merrell KW.. A Multi-institutional Analysis of Trimodality Therapy for Esophageal Cancer in Elderly Patients. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 98(4):820-828, 2017. e-Pub 2017. PMID: 28476435.
- Joshua S. Niedzielski, Jinzhong Yang,Francesco Stingo, Liao Z ,Daniel Gomez, Radhe Mohan, Mary Martel, Tina Briere, and Laurence Court. A Novel Methodology using CT Imaging Biomarkers to Quantify Radiation Sensitivity in the Esophagus with Application to Clinical Trials. Scientific Reports 7(1):6034, 2017. PMID: PMC5519548.
- Lin SH, Merrell KW, Shen J, Verma V, Correa AM, Wang L, Thall PF, Bhooshan N, James SE, Haddock MG, Suntharalingam M, Mehta MP, Liao Z, Cox JD, Komaki R, Mehran RJ, Chuong MD, Hallemeier CL.. Multi-institutional analysis of radiation modality use and postoperative outcomes of neoadjuvant chemoradiation for esophageal cancer. Radiother Oncol 123(3):376-381, 2017. e-Pub 2017. PMID: 28455153.
- Xi M, Hallemeier CL, Merrell KW, Liao Z, Murphy MAB, Ho L, Hofstetter WL, Mehran R, Lee JH, Bhutani MS, Weston B, Maru DM, Komaki R, Ajani JA, Lin SH.. Recurrence Risk Stratification After Preoperative Chemoradiation of Esophageal Adenocarcinoma. Ann Surg, 2017. e-Pub 2017. PMID: 28628563.
- Yang J, Xu T, Gomez DR, Yuan X, Nguyen QN, Jeter M, Song Y, Hahn S, Liao Z. Polymorphisms in BMP2/BMP4, with estimates of mean lung dose, predict radiation pneumonitis among patients receiving definitive radiotherapy for non-small cell lung cancer. Oncotarget 8(26):43080-43090, 2017. PMID: 28574846.
- Chi A, Chen H, Wen S, Yan H, Liao Z.. Comparison of particle beam therapy and stereotactic body radiotherapy for early stage non-small cell lung cancer: A systematic review and hypothesis-generating meta-analysis. Radiother Oncol 123(3):346-354, 2017. PMID: 28545956.
- Ho JC, Nguyen QN, Li H, Allen PK, Zhang X, Zhu XR, Gomez DR, Lin SH, Gillin MT, Komaki RU, Liao Z, Hahn SM, Chang JY. Reirradiation of Thoracic Cancers with Intensity Modulated Proton Therapy. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 98(1):222, 2017. PMID: 28586972.
- Nguyen QN, Lu Y, Tang C, Chance WW, Mehran R, Balter P, Welsh JW, Hahn SM, Jeter MD, Komaki RU, Gomez DR, Chang JY, Liao Z. Stereotactic Ablative Body Radiation for Pulmonary Metastases: Should We Consider Dose Escalation for More Unresponsive Histologies?. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 98(1):237, 2017. PMID: 28587012.
- Fave X, Zhang L, Yang J, Mackin D, Balter P, Gomez DR, Followill D, Jones AK, Stingo F, Mohan R, Liao Z, Court LE. Using Pretreatment Radiomics and Delta-Radiomics Features to Predict Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer Patient Outcomes. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 98(1):249, 2017. PMID: 28587041.
- Fave X, Zhang L, Yang J, Mackin D, Balter P, Gomez D, Followill D, Jones AK, Stingo F, Liao Z, Mohan R, Court L. Delta-radiomics features for the prediction of patient outcomes in non-small cell lung cancer. Sci Rep 7(1):588, 2017. e-Pub 2017. PMID: 28373718.
- Yang J, Xu T, Gomez DR, Jeter M, Levy LB, Song Y, Hahn S, Liao Z, Yuan X. The Pulmonary Fibrosis Associated MUC5B Promoter Polymorphism Is Prognostic of the Overall Survival in Patients with Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer (NSCLC) Receiving Definitive Radiotherapy. Transl Oncol 10(2):197-202, 2017. e-Pub 2017. PMID: 28189065.
- Logan JK, Tang C, Liao Z, Lee JJ, Heymach JV, Swisher SG, Welsh JW, Zhang J, Lin SH, Gomez DR. Analysis of Factors Affecting Successful Clinical Trial Enrollment in the Context of Three Prospective, Randomized, Controlled Trials. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 97(4):770-777, 2017. e-Pub 2016. PMID: 28244413.
- Chun SG, Solberg TD, Grosshans DR, Nguyen QN, Simone CB, Mohan R, Liao Z, Hahn SM, Herman JM, Frank SJ. The Potential of Heavy-Ion Therapy to Improve Outcomes for Locally Advanced Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer. Front Oncol 7:201, 2017. e-Pub 2017. PMID: 28929085.
- Wang J, Suri JS, Allen PK, Liao Z, Komaki R, Ho L, Hofstetter WL, Lin SH. Factors predictive of improved outcomes with multimodality local therapy after palliative chemotherapy for stage iv esophageal cancer. Am J Clin Oncol 39(3):228-35, 2016. e-Pub 2014. PMID: 24710122.
- Wang XS, Shi Q, Williams LA, Komaki R, Gomez DR, Lin SH, Chang JY, O'Reilly MS, Bokhari RH, Cox JD, Mohan R, Cleeland CS, Liao Z. Prospective study of patient-reported symptom burden in patients with non-small-cell lung cancer undergoing proton or photon chemoradiation therapy. J Pain Symptom Manage 51(5):832-8, 2016. e-Pub 2016. PMID: 26891607.
- Lin SH, Zhang N, Godby J, Wang J, Marsh GD, Liao Z, Komaki R, Ho L, Hofstetter WL, Swisher SG, Mehran RJ, Buchholz TA, Elting LS, Giordano SH. Radiation modality use and cardiopulmonary mortality risk in elderly patients with esophageal cancer. Cancer 122(6):917-28, 2016. e-Pub 2015. PMID: 26716915.
- Fried DV, Mawlawi O, Zhang L, Fave X, Zhou S, Ibbott G, Liao Z, Court LE. Stage III non-small cell lung cancer: prognostic value of FDG PET quantitative imaging features combined with clinical prognostic factors. Radiology 278(1):377-84, 2016. e-Pub 2015. PMID: 26176655.
- Pan HY, Jiang S, Sutton J, Liao Z, Chance WW, Frank SJ, Zhu XR, Li H, Fontanilla HP, Zhang X, Gomez DR. Early experience with intensity modulated proton therapy for lung-intact mesothelioma: a case series. Pract Radiat Oncol 5(4):e345-53, 2015. e-Pub 2015. PMID: 25572666.
- Liu W, Liao Z, Schild SE, Liu Z, Li H, Li Y, Park PC, Li X, Stoker J, Shen J, Keole S, Anand A, Fatyga M, Dong L, Sahoo N, Vora S, Wong W, Zhu XR, Bues M, Mohan R. Impact of respiratory motion on worst-case scenario optimized intensity modulated proton therapy for lung cancers. Pract Radiat Oncol 5(2):e77-86, 2015. e-Pub 2014. PMID: 25413400.
- Swanick CW, Lin SH, Sutton J, Naik NS, Allen PK, Levy LB, Liao Z, Welsh JW, Komaki R, Chang JY, Gomez DR. Use of simultaneous radiation boost achieves high control rates in patients with non-small-cell lung cancer who are not candidates for surgery or conventional chemoradiation. Clin Lung Cancer 16(2):156-163, 2015. e-Pub 2014. PMID: 25467928.
- Wang H, Liao Z, Zhuang Y, Liu Y, Levy LB, Xu T, Yusuf SW, Gomez DR. Incidental receipt of cardiac medications and survival outcomes among patients with stage III non-small-cell lung cancer after definitive radiotherapy. Clin Lung Cancer 16(2):128-136, 2015. e-Pub 2014. PMID: 25450873.
- Li H, Zhang X, Park P, Liu W, Chang J, Liao Z, Frank S, Li Y, Poenisch F, Mohan R, Gillin M, Zhu R. Robust optimization in intensity-modulated proton therapy to account for anatomy changes in lung cancer patients. Radiother Oncol 114(3):367-72, 2015. e-Pub 2015. PMID: 25708992.
- Wang J, Milton DR, He L, Komaki R, Liao Z, Crane CH, Minsky BD, Thall PF, Lin SH. Comparison of locoregional versus extended locoregional radiation volumes for patients with nonmetastatic gastro-esophageal junction carcinomas. J Thorac Oncol 10(3):518-26, 2015. PMID: 25695222.
- Lin SH, Wang J, Allen PK, Correa AM, Maru DM, Swisher SG, Hofstetter WL, Liao Z, Ajani JA. A nomogram that predicts pathologic complete response to neoadjuvant chemoradiation also predicts survival outcomes after definitive chemoradiation for esophageal cancer. J Gastrointest Oncol 6(1):45-52, 2015. PMID: 25642337.
- Chance WW, Rice DC, Allen PK, Tsao AS, Fontanilla HP, Liao Z, Chang JY, Tang C, Pan HY, Welsh JW, Mehran RJ, Gomez DR. Hemithoracic intensity modulated radiation therapy after pleurectomy/decortication for malignant pleural mesothelioma: toxicity, patterns of failure, and a matched survival analysis. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 91(1):149-56, 2015. e-Pub 2014. PMID: 25442335.
- Xu T, Liao Z, O'Reilly MS, Levy LB, Welsh JW, Wang LE, Lin SH, Komaki R, Liu Z, Wei Q, Gomez DR. Serum inflammatory miRNAs predict radiation esophagitis in patients receiving definitive radiochemotherapy for non-small cell lung cancer. Radiother Oncol 113(3):379-84, 2014. e-Pub 2014. PMID: 25466375.
- Sheu T, Heymach JV, Swisher SG, Rao G, Weinberg JS, Mehran R, McAleer MF, Liao Z, Aloia TA, Gomez DR. Propensity score-matched analysis of comprehensive local therapy for oligometastatic non-small cell lung cancer that did not progress after front-line chemotherapy. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 90(4):850-857, 2014. e-Pub 2014. PMID: 25216859.
- Fried DV, Tucker SL, Zhou S, Liao Z, Mawlawi O, Ibbott G, Court LE. Prognostic value and reproducibility of pretreatment CT texture features in stage iii non-small cell lung cancer. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 90(4):834-842, 2014. e-Pub 2014. PMID: 25220716.
- McAvoy S, Ciura K, Wei C, Rineer J, Liao Z, Chang JY, Palmer MB, Cox JD, Komaki R, Gomez DR. Definitive reirradiation for locoregionally recurrent non-small cell lung cancer with proton beam therapy or intensity modulated radiation therapy: predictors of high-grade toxicity and survival outcomes. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 90(4):819-827, 2014. e-Pub 2014. PMID: 25220718.
- Chang JY, Li H, Zhu XR, Liao Z, Zhao L, Liu A, Li Y, Sahoo N, Poenisch F, Gomez DR, Wu R, Gillin M, Zhang X. Clinical implementation of intensity modulated proton therapy for thoracic malignancies. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 90(4):809-818, 2014. e-Pub 2014. PMID: 25260491.
- Kardar L, Li Y, Li X, Li H, Cao W, Chang JY, Liao Z, Zhu RX, Sahoo N, Gillin M, Liao Z, Komaki R, Cox JD, Lim G, Zhang X. Evaluation and mitigation of the interplay effects of intensity modulated proton therapy for lung cancer in a clinical setting. Pract Radiat Oncol 4(6):E259-268, 2014. e-Pub 2014. PMID: 25407877.
- Gomez DR, Yusuf SW, Munsell MF, Welsh JW, Liao Z, Lin SH, Pan HY, Chang JY, Komaki R, Cox JD, McAleer MF, Grosshans DR. Prospective exploratory analysis of cardiac biomarkers and electrocardiogram abnormalities in patients receiving thoracic radiation therapy with high-dose heart exposure. J Thorac Oncol 9(10):1554-1560, 2014. PMID: 25521400.
- He L, Allen PK, Potter A, Wang J, Chang JY, Gomez DR, Komaki R, Liao Z, Lin SH. Re-evaluating the optimal radiation dose for definitive chemoradiotherapy for esophageal squamous cell carcinoma. J Thorac Oncol 9(9):1398-1405, 2014. PMID: 25122435.
- Tang C, Liao Z, Gomez D, Levy L, Zhuang Y, Gebremichael RA, Hong DS, Komaki R, Welsh JW. Lymphopenia association with gross tumor volume and lung V5 and its effects on non-small cell lung cancer patient outcomes. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 89(5):1084-1091, 2014. e-Pub 2014. PMID: 25035212.
- Wen J, Liu H, Wang Q, Liu Z, Li Y, Xiong H, Xu T, Li P, Wang LE, Gomez DR, Mohan R, Komaki R, Liao Z, Wei Q. Genetic variants of the Lin28b gene predict severe radiation pneumonitis in patients with non-small cell lung cancer treated with definitive radiation therapy. Eur J Cancer 50(10):1706-1716, 2014. e-Pub 2014. PMID: 24780874.
- Mayr NA, Hu KS, Liao Z, Viswanathan AN, Wall TJ, Amendola BE, Calaguas MJ, Palta JR, Yue NJ, Rengan R, Williams TR. International outreach: what is the responsibility of astro and the major international radiation oncology societies?. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 89(3):481-484, 2014. PMID: 24929158.
- Rosenstein BS, West CM, Bentzen SM, Alsner J, Andreassen CN, Azria D, Barnett GC, Baumann M, Burnet N, Chang-Claude J, Chuang EY, Coles CE, Dekker A, De Ruyck K, De Ruysscher D, Drumea K, Dunning AM, Easton D, Eeles R, Fachal L, Gutiérrez-Enríquez S, Haustermans K, Henríquez-Hernández LA, Imai T, Jones GD, Kerns SL, Liao Z, Onel K, Ostrer H, Parliament M, Pharoah PD, Rebbeck TR, Talbot CJ, Thierens H, Vega A, Witte JS, Wong P, Zenhausern F, Radiogenomics Consortium. Radiogenomics: radiobiology enters the era of big data and team science. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 89(4):709-713, 2014. PMID: 24969789.
- Chaoul A, Milbury K, Engle R, Liao Z, Yang C, Carmack C, Shannon V, Spelman A, Wangyal T, Cohen L. Tibetan yoga can help people with lung cancer and their caregivers. J Altern Complement Med 20(5):A52, 2014. PMID: 24805634.
- Tucker SL, Liao Z, Dinh J, Bian SX, Mohan R, Martel MK, Grosshans DR. Is there an impact of heart exposure on the incidence of radiation pneumonitis? Analysis of data from a large clinical cohort. Acta Oncol 53(5):590-596, 2014. e-Pub 2013. PMID: 23992110.
- Juloori A, Tucker SL, Komaki R, Liao Z, Correa AM, Swisher SG, Hofstetter WL, Lin SH. Influence of preoperative radiation field on postoperative leak rates in esophageal cancer patients after trimodality therapy. J Thorac Oncol 9(4):534-540, 2014. PMID: 24736077.
- Tang C, Liao Z, Zhuang Y, Levy LB, Hung C, Li X, Krafft SP, Martel MK, Komaki R, Gomez DR. Acute phase response before treatment predicts radiation esophagitis in non-small cell lung cancer. Radiother Oncol 110(3):493-498, 2014. e-Pub 2014. PMID: 24560756.
- Wang J, Myles B, Wei C, Chang JY, Hofstetter WL, Ajani JA, Swisher SG, Cox JD, Komaki R, Liao Z, Lin SH. Obesity and outcomes in patients treated with chemoradiotherapy for esophageal carcinoma. Dis Esophagus 27(2):168-175, 2014. e-Pub 2013. PMID: 23621168.
- Li Y, Kardar L, Li X, Li H, Cao W, Chang JY, Liao Z, Zhu RX, Sahoo N, Gillin M, Liao Z, Komaki R, Cox JD, Lim G, Zhang X. On the interplay effects with proton scanning beams in stage III lung cancer. Med Phys 41(2):021721, 2014. PMID: 24506612.
- Tang C, Gomez DR, Wang H, Levy LB, Zhuang Y, Xu T, Nguyen Q, Komaki R, Liao Z. Association between white blood cell count following radiation therapy with radiation pneumonitis in non-small cell lung cancer. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 88(2):319-325, 2014. PMID: 24411603.
- Hellmann MD, Chaft JE, William WN, Rusch V, Pisters KM, Kalhor N, Pataer A, Travis WD, Swisher SG, Kris MG, Liao Z, University of Texas MD Anderson Lung Cancer Collaborative Group. Pathological response after neoadjuvant chemotherapy in resectable non-small-cell lung cancers: proposal for the use of major pathological response as a surrogate endpoint. Lancet Oncol 15(1):e42-50, 2014. PMID: 24384493.
- Amini A, Ajani J, Komaki R, Allen PK, Minsky BD, Blum M, Xiao L, Suzuki A, Hofstetter W, Swisher S, Gomez D, Liao Z, Lee JH, Bhutani MS, Welsh JW. Factors associated with local-regional failure after definitive chemoradiation for locally advanced esophageal cancer. Ann Surg Oncol 21(1):306-314, 2014. e-Pub 2013. PMID: 24197760.
- Chi A, Wen S, Liao Z, Fowler J, Xu J, Nguyen NP, Welsh JS, Komaki R. What would be the most appropriate α/β ratio in the setting of stereotactic body radiation therapy for early stage non-small cell lung cancer. Biomed Res Int 2013:391021, 2013. e-Pub 2013. PMID: 24350266.
- Li Q, Swanick CW, Allen PK, Gomez DR, Welsh JW, Liao Z, Balter PA, Chang JY. Stereotactic ablative radiotherapy (SABR) using 70gy in 10 fractions for non-small cell lung cancer: exploration of clinical indications. Radiother Oncol. e-Pub 2014. PMID: 25108807.
- Chang JY, Verma V, Li M, Zhang W, Komaki R, Lu C, Allen PK, Liao Z, Welsh J, Lin SH, Gomez D, Jeter M, O'Reilly M, Zhu RX, Zhang X, Li H1, Mohan R, Heymach JV, Vaporciyan AA, Hahn S, Cox JD. Proton Beam Radiotherapy and Concurrent Chemotherapy for Unresectable Stage III Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer: Final Results of a Phase 2 Study. JAMA Oncol 3(8). e-Pub 2017. PMID: 28727865.
- Jensen GL, Tang C, Hess KR, Liao Z, Gomez DR. Patterns of metastatic progression after definitive radiation therapy for early-stage and locally advanced non-small cell lung cancer. Clin Exp Metastasis. e-Pub 2017. PMID: 28744603.
- Sun B, Brooks ED, Komaki R, Liao Z, Jeter M, McAleer M, Balter PA, Welsh JD, O'Reilly M, Gomez D, Hahn SM, Sepesi B, Rice DC, Heymach JV, Chang JY.. Long-Term Outcomes of Salvage Stereotactic Ablative Radiotherapy for Isolated Lung Recurrence of Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer: A Phase II Clinical Trial. J Thorac Oncol 12(6):983-92. e-Pub 2017. PMID: 28259750.
- Fang P, Swanick CW, Pezzi TA, Liao Z, Welsh J, Lin SH, Gomez DR. Outcomes and toxicity following high-dose radiation therapy in 15 fractions for non-small cell lung cancer. Pract Radiat Oncol. e-Pub 2017. PMID: 28428017.
- Xi M, Liao Z, Deng W, Xu C, Komaki R, Blum M, Hofstetter WL, Ho L, Lin SH. A Prognostic Scoring Model for the Utility of Induction Chemotherapy Prior to Neoadjuvant Chemoradiotherapy in Esophageal Cancer. J Thorac Oncol. e-Pub 2017. PMID: 28351804.
- Sun B, Brooks ED, Komaki R, Liao Z, Jeter M, McAleer M, Balter PA, Welsh JD, O'Reilly M, Gomez D, Hahn SM, Sepesi B, Rice DC, Heymach JV, Chang JY. Long-Term Outcomes of Salvage Stereotactic Ablation Radiotherapy for Isolated Lung Recurrence of Non-Small-Cell Lung Cancer: A Phase II Clinical Trial. J Thorac Oncol. e-Pub 2017. PMID: 28259750.
- Sun B, Brooks ED, Komaki RU, Liao Z, Jeter MD, McAleer MF, Allen PK, Balter PA, Welsh JD, O'Reilly MS, Gomez D, Hahn SM, Roth JA, Mehran RJ, Heymach JV, Chang JY.. 7-year follow-up after stereotactic ablative radiotherapy for patients with stage I non-small cell lung cancer: Results of a phase 2 clinical trial. Cancer 123(16):3031-3039. e-Pub 2017. PMID: 28346656.
- Yue J, McKeever M, Sio TT, XUT, Huo J, Shi Q, Nguyen QN, Komaki R, Gomez DR, Pan T, Wang XS, Liao Z. Association of lung fluorodeoxyglucose uptake with radiation pneumonitis after concurrent chemoradiation for non-small cell lung cancer. Clin Transl Radiat Oncol. e-Pub 2017.
- Wen J, Liu H, Wang L, Wang X, Gu N, Liu Z, Xu T, Gomez DR, Komaki R, Liao Z, Wei Q. Potentially Functional variants of ATG16L2 predict radiation pneumonitis and outcomes in patients with non-small cell lung cancer after definitive radiotherapy. J Thorac Oncol. e-Pub 2018. PMID: 29454863.
- Liu C, Schild SE, Chang JY, Liao Z, Korte S, Shen J, Ding X, Hu Y, Kang Y, Keole SR, Sio TT, Wong WW, Sahoo N, Bues M, Liu W. Impact of Spot Size and Spacing on the Quality of Robustly Optimized Intensity Modulated Proton Therapy Plans for Lung Cancer. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. e-Pub 2018. PMID: 29550033.
- Yang P, Liao Z, Gomez DR, Xu T, Levy LB, Deng W, Yang J, Mohan R. Prospective Study of Marginal Recurrence in Patients with Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer After Proton or Photon Chemoradiation Therapy. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 98(1):234, 2017. PMID: 28587001.
- Xu T, Xu Y, Huo J, Yang P, Gomez DR, Liao Z. Incidental Use of Beta-Blockers, Serum VEGF, and Their Association With Disease Outcome in Patients with Non-Small-Cell Lung Cancer Treated with Definitive Chemoradiation Therapy. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 98(1):245, 2017. PMID: 28587030.
- Deist TM, Yang P, Oberije C, Allen PK, van Wijk Y, Gomez DR, Xu T, Mohan R, Hahn SM, Lambin P, Liao Z. Dosimetric Analysis of Randomized Proton and Photon Plans with Respect to Radiation Toxicity: The Importance of High Dose Regions in Lung and Esophagus. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 98(1):246, 2017. PMID: 28587033.
- Lan M, Xu T, Gomez DR, Jeter MD, Nguyen QN, Deng W, Lin SH, Komaki RU, Liao Z. Association Between LGALS3 Gene Polymorphisms and Survival in Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer Patients Treated With Definitive Radiation Therapy. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 98(1):249-250, 2017. PMID: 28587040.
- Milbury K, Chaoul A, Engle R, Liao Z, Yang C, Carmack C, Shannon V, Spelman A, Wangyal T, Cohen L. Couple-based Tibetan yoga program for lung cancer patients and their caregivers. Psychooncology 24(1):117-20, 2015. e-Pub 2014. PMID: 24890852.
- Li H, Liu W, Park P, Matney J, Liao Z, Chang J, Zhang X, Li Y, Zhu RX. Evaluation of the systematic error in using 3D dose calculation in scanning beam proton therapy for lung cancer. J Appl Clin Med Phys 15(5):4810, 2014. e-Pub 2014. PMID: 25207565.
- Hong J, Liao Z, Zhuang Y, Levy LB, Sheu T, Heymach JV, Nguyen QN, Xu T, Komaki R, Gomez DR. Prognostic factors as a function of disease-free interval after definitive (chemo)radiation for non-small cell lung cancer using conditional survival analysis. Am J Clin Oncol. e-Pub 2015. PMID: 26535988.
- Schoenhals JE, Brooks ED, Cortez MA, Syedin SN, Niknam S, Wang Xiaohong, Cadena AP, Li XS, Gomez DR, Liao Z, and Welsh JW. Translational Research and Immunotherapy in Lung Cancer. In: Principles and Practice of Radiotherapy Techniques in Thoracic Malignancies. Springer International Publishing AG Switzerland, 255-296, 2016.
- Selek U, Bolukbasi Y, Topkan E, and Liao Z. Esophageal Cancer. In: Principles and Practice of Radiotherapy Techniques in Thoracic Malignancies. Springer International Publishing AG Switzerland, 297-324, 2016.